Menu

s/o: Do some or all of your children climb the walls/doorways in your home?

Do some or all of your children climb the walls/doorways in your home?  

1. 1. Do some or all of your children climb the walls/doorways in your home?

• Yes, my children climb the walls/doorways
    • My children climbed the walls/doorways when they were younger, but have outgrown it
    • My children are to small yet to climb the walls doorways, but I will let them when they're older
    • My children would climb the walls/doorways if I allowed them to
    • No, my children do not enjoy (or have never been exposed to) climbing the walls/doorways
    • What in the world are you even talking about?!
    • Other

I have never heard of nor seen such a thing! Now I can't wait until dh wakes up so I can ask if he ever did it.

You know if you ask him, he might say yes and decide to pass it on! Just sayin' :D, you might want to consider if you're ok with that, lol.

Ok, I can see how you'd be able to climb a doorway, but a wall? How?

If a wall is skinny my son can hold on to the edge of it and climb up. If a hallway is skinny, then my son can put his hands on one side, his feet on the other and walk himself up to the ceiling that way.

We currently live in a log home with cathedral ceilings in the great room, and the first thing Dh did when we moved in is to put up rock climbing handholds on the tall wall in the living room. They blend into the wall so nicely that no one ever notices them until someone (man or child :D) starts climbing them. We also have a few trap doors, a hidden room and two hand swings (that - yes - hold a grown man) hanging from the log rafters. I was a little skeptical at first (I grew up in a "don't touch anything" house), but Dh manages to do these things so that the house still looks very nice - plus already having the "rustic" look to the house helps out a lot!

My dd11 says she is coming to stay with you. She would love a house like that.

Haaa...Cute Poll. My little one is the only one that has done this. She used to climb the door frames all the time! She loved doing that. I dont think she ever climbed the wall...but she has climbed the outside of my stairs.

She used to climb up when she was a less then a year. A little booger. She couldnt climb my stairs since I had a gate...so she climbed up outside rail.

Recently, she climbed the bathroom door again. What a monkey. :lol:

She is now a super strong 8yo. LOL. She loves to do pull ups! I have a bar hanging for her in my downstairs bathroom.

So, do your children do this?

NEVER. They value their lives. I'm the mom whose mantra was, "Please don't touch the walls," when their little friends would come over. I could never stand when ANYone did that. Ds has a new friend who touches my walls. I can't believe I have to tell an 11 year old to not touch walls.

But other than that and not allowing them to call me by my first name, I'm really quite nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristine out of lurking viewpost.gif

"Please don't touch the walls,"

:huh:

(I don't know how to include a quote with the message.)

Yes, for many years, I told visiting kids to not touch my walls. I can't believe how many kids walked down the hall or the stairs with their hands outstretched, dragging along the walls. You don't touch the walls in my house, just like you don't touch the ceiling.

Apparently I surprised a friend of ds's last week by telling the friend, "GET out of my refrigerator. You do not stand in there." The kid is 11.:confused::confused:

Funny, I was remembering in gym where we climbed up the rope to the ceiling and touched; not many could do it, I was light and strong and could :) Very competitive on those tests!! Also, the pull-ups and such were fun for me!! I gave myself a headache racing through how many sit-ups that I could do.

My second born son was a true monkey, he climbed everything. My two youngest children haven't been exposed to wall and door frame climbing...but the propensity is there. That's why my boy has gymnastic rings and a swing in his bedroom. I'm older and smarter than I used to be. ;)