Menu

For those of us that love Snape

oh yes!

Off to read some fanfic.....

:iagree::iagree: I actually laughed out loud at this comment. :001_smile:

Number 11: It's easy to do the right thing when you are part of the golden crowd, but to do it with no recognition while alienating all potential allies and betraying the few 'friends' you have.

Whew ... I've been a Snape fan since book 3. Yeah, Alan Rickman didn't hurt either.

LOL Just this afternoon I was telling my middle ds that I wished JK Rowling would write the story of Snape's life. There could be more books than HP- at least 9. There could one for each year at Hogworts just like HP, one book before his time at Hogworts, and probably more than one after Hogworts. There is plenty of story there of Snape as an adult with Voldemort and then parts of the HP story from Snape's point of view that could be told. It would be wonderful!

Mandy

The weird thing is that I love Snape but I have never had the Rickman lurve. I seem to have some immunity.

My friend told me it's because my DH has a deep voice so I hear it all the time. :lol:

I once had an acquaintance drunkenly confess to me that she had a fantasy of sitting in a hot tub while my husband read her Shakespeare. I was all..."Ummm, thanks?"

I mean really, what is the proper response to that?

So, anyway, love Snape but left cold to the whole Rickman thing.

I honestly think Snape is the most interesting character in the series. It's his story almost as much as it is Harry's. My heart breaks for him.

That.

JKR has said that she considers him a deeply horrible person, and can't imagine anything worse than being loved by him, so I don't think she will be writing those books from his POV anytime soon.

She created this gift of a character and can't stand him. Pity really.

I once had an acquaintance drunkenly confess to me that she had a fantasy of sitting in a hot tub while my husband read her Shakespeare. I was all..."Ummm, thanks?"

:lol::lol: I don't think there is a proper response to that. It's hilarious.

The weird thing is that I love Snape but I have never had the Rickman lurve. I seem to have some immunity.

My friend told me it's because my DH has a deep voice so I hear it all the time. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I have never had that detailed of a confession, but my dh is British, we live in Oregon. I have friends tell me all the time that they love to listen to dh talk. I don't tell him though, he loves to hear himself talk too!:lol:

Oh. My. Gosh.

There are people out there JUST LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Snape. To heck with the kilts and Johnny Depp and all that. I'd rather take a walk on the wild side with Snape. :D

Since he's a fictional character (sniff), can we make up a birthday for him and then have a really long thread about it once a year? Halloween, maybe? Pleeaasse?

JKR has said that she considers him a deeply horrible person

That's exactly what makes him such a compelling character. He's a deeply horrible person capable of such purity of love and sacrifice.

I've always enjoyed Alan Rickman as Snape, but the Snape in my head was never as compelling as the movie Snape.

Cat

Which is why I love how Snape turned out in the movies..much more redeemable? Rickman certainly helped make him so.

My husband doesn't get why Snape is my favorite character in the books - I think he's the most well developed, compelling character that JK wrote. But he thinks to have a grown man take out his childhood pities on children to soothe his scars is evil. Granted, I remember the movie Snape better than the book Snape, so my argument was that he was particularly hard on Harry simply because he didn't want him to turn out like James (who turns out to be an anti-hero of sorts).

Still, with her hatred of the character she created, she gave him the best of her writing as far as character development, to me, be it good or bad.

The weird thing is that I love Snape but I have never had the Rickman lurve. I seem to have some immunity. <snip>

I'm just the opposite. The Rickman Effect had me :lol: Love Rickman as Snape, hate Snape.

That.

JKR has said that she considers him a deeply horrible person, and can't imagine anything worse than being loved by him,

ITA with Rowling.

But he thinks to have a grown man take out his childhood pities on children to soothe his scars is evil. Granted, I remember the movie Snape better than the book Snape, so my argument was that he was particularly hard on Harry simply because he didn't want him to turn out like James (who turns out to be an anti-hero of sorts).

This is why I never felt the Snape love. And he wasn't just mean to Harry, he was mean to many students. Look how he treated Neville and Hermoine from day one. It's one thing to be hard on your students, another to be downright mean and to publicly call them names. No. I have no love for that character. I do however, love his complexity.

LOL Just this afternoon I was telling my middle ds that I wished JK Rowling would write the story of Snape's life. There could be more books than HP- at least 9. There could one for each year at Hogworts just like HP, one book before his time at Hogworts, and probably more than one after Hogworts. There is plenty of story there of Snape as an adult with Voldemort and then parts of the HP story from Snape's point of view that could be told. It would be wonderful!

Mandy

They are not by Rowling - but some of the authors at MuggleNet Fan Fiction are very good and have done as you desire (and then some!)

http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/index.php

PS just put the link to Alan Rickman in a kilt on my FB page - that was great!!!!

and here's Alan Rickman in a kilt... does it get any better than that???

It's 8 am and I'm already having a great day thanks to this.:D

:iagree: Good morning!!

They are not by Rowling - but some of the authors at MuggleNet Fan Fiction are very good and have done as you desire (and then some!)

http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/index.php

PS just put the link to Alan Rickman in a kilt on my FB page - that was great!!!!

Thanks for this link. I've heard there's some good fanfic out there, but I've never tried to read it.

I don't think he's hot, but I do love Snape's character. I like this part from the link, "He chooses what is right, never what is easy."

:iagree:

Quite true. I can't think of one character or actor in that series that I think is actually hot.

Well, there was Cedric Diggory :001_wub:, but that didn't last long.

"Bit how would you hear him reading with me holding your head under water for being in a hot tub with my husband?"

:iagree:

Well, there was Cedric Diggory :001_wub:, but that didn't last long.

Shockingly, the guy who played Dudley Dursly - Harry Melling:

harry-melling.jpg

And Matthew Lewis who played Neville Longbottom:

tumblr_lgvy5e1biU1qz5uc4o1_500.jpg

But they're boys. Okay, now they're young men, but I watched them grow up and they're still younger than my stepson. I taught high school for 15 years. I just don't find young boys attractive or sexy. I agree that they're good looking and I might find them attractive if I was younger, but they just don't do anything for me.

I honestly think Snape is the most interesting character in the series. It's his story almost as much as it is Harry's. My heart breaks for him.

I agree - Rowling has created a very complex character in Snape! I hope she has more material on him for Pottermore.

But they're boys. Okay, now they're young men, but I watched them grow up and they're still younger than my stepson. I taught high school for 15 years. I just don't find young boys attractive or sexy. I agree that they're good looking and I might find them attractive if I was younger, but they just don't do anything for me.

Agreed. They're hot in the abstract. :D But give them a few gray hairs and I'd be drooling!

I think it also has to do with me being so old. :lol:

yes. They are just right for themselves. It is me who is too old to think of them as anything but children. I look at them and all I can think is "I wonder what grammar program I should get for a kid that age. Would it be best to start at the beginning of the history cycle or should I just jump in?"

yes. They are just right for themselves. It is me who is too old to think of them as anything but children. I look at them and all I can think is "I wonder what grammar program I should get for a kid that age. Would it be best to start at the beginning of the history cycle or should I just jump in?"

:lol::lol::lol: