Menu

David Archuleta (not a spoiler, but an opinion you may not like)...

:lol::lol::lol:

David Archuleta is boring and the judges on AI are deaf.

:iagree:

But, hey, David cook is just about the first American Idol that I really want to buy an album of! Even if he loses the show I think he will make a ton of money and become rather famous! David A...not so much..of course, maybe I'm deaf....;)

I like David Cook's voice, I think he is a good talent - but I can't stand to watch him. He really bothers me - I don't know why - he seems so arrogant and condescending.

On the other hand, I think David A. is just as cute as a button and seems so sweet. He really outperformed David C. tonight in my opinion, although I like David C.'s songs better to listen to - but David A. did what he had to tonight. I think - who knows>?????

But, hey, David cook is just about the first American Idol that I really want to buy an album of! Even if he loses the show I think he will make a ton of money and become rather famous! David A...not so much..of course, maybe I'm deaf....;)

Oh, thanks. I was :confused: about what this thread was about. I was thinking, "AI? Artificial Intelligence? Is there a new Sci-Fi show I don't know about?" :lol:

We don't watch American Idol.

I tried not watching when Archuleta sang, to see if that helped me like him more. I was still bored. I like the kid. I'd happily make him dinner and he could say, "Thank you, Mrs. B", and afterwards he could go off to rescue puppies or something... But I wouldn't buy his album.

Cook, on the other hand, has consistently grown on me over the course of the season. And I loved the U2 song tonight...

:D :iagree: (Not about you being deaf, just about D.C.):D

Iand afterwards he could go off to rescue puppies or something...

LOL!!

Except, you know... I'm not sure he's compassionate enough. HAve you noticed that he never hugs anyone or expresses any sort of empathy? There's a social disconnect there... Dh and I think he's a savant or something.

D.C. has that whole "Rock Star" thing going on already. Things that I love about him are:

He knows who he is musically

He has great style

His hair is better now than it was when he started

He plays an instrument (Anyone can sing, but sing and play an instrument)

He isn't afraid to take chances.

I think that David A. will just make a record full of bubble gum pop and boring ballads. It's not that I don't like him. He just lacks, something.

An an aside, I love when Simon says, "It's just an opinion." :lol:

Except, you know... I'm not sure he's compassionate enough. HAve you noticed that he never hugs anyone or expresses any sort of empathy? There's a social disconnect there... Dh and I think he's a savant or something.

Hm. I just figured he was petrified.

But maybe... Then again, if that's the case, maybe he'd connect with the puppies better than people anyway...

LOL, what happened to Jason Castro?

Excuse me? Have you read my sig line? I have daughterS not daughter.

"One for you, and one for you, and one for you....."

Of course someone on this board has tried to claim one of my daughters for her son, so I may only be looking for two matches.

Excuse me? Have you read my sig line? I have daughterS not daughter.

"One for you, and one for you, and one for you....."

Of course someone on this board has tried to claim one of my daughters for her son, so I may only be looking for two matches.

You can't have them all, Kelli!:glare:

I actually liked one of DA's songs tonight - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me is a favorite of mine and I think that he did a fabulous job.

However, it is the first time I liked any of his songs! Generally, I think he sounds good - and boring.

I like David Cook - I don't think that he is arrogant like I though Daughtry was. And I like the quality of his voice. And I loved 2nd and 3rd songs - but I guess I just like that style of music.

And - here is somehting that I just don't get. Simon often tells the singers that they need to be *current*, that they need to have a sound that they can put on an album now and have it sell well. All the big Idol sellers I am familiar with - Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, Jordin (can't remember her last name) - have a *current* sound. That Leona Lewis really has it (according to my daughters - I don't care for that over-sung Mariah sound). Randy has said a few times that David Cook could put his performance on an album - and I can hear it.

But - I just don't hear/see that with David Archuletta! Who is going to buy his album?

I love David Cook and have since the beginning, but I really wanted to see him do something to a song tonight like he did with Billie Jean and Hello. *Those* were hot. And I would spend money on that kind of stuff at itunes. He's not been as with it the last couple of weeks, as though he was afraid to put his own mark on the songs.

David A drives me nuts. He's young, idealistic, and boring. He has an amazing voice, though. Has anyone ever heard him *not* hit a note?

Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me is a favorite of mine

Oh, Liza, hopefully you will appreciate this. August 1973, I saw Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour. That was about a year before this song, but still... Elton in the early 70s has a special place in my heart. It was my first sorta kinda date :). There's a current thread about the most amazing thing you've ever seen. Elton John. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Huge light up glasses. I started to post this - it really *was* amazing - but I was afraid it might do in what little bit of reputation I have around here :)

Robin

P.S. My dh says he'll be DA's album. I just hope he doesn't play it when I'm in the room. :)

I love David Cook and have since the beginning, but I really wanted to see him do something to a song tonight like he did with Billie Jean and Hello. *Those* were hot. And I would spend money on that kind of stuff at itunes. He's not been as with it the last couple of weeks, as though he was afraid to put his own mark on the songs.

David A drives me nuts. He's young, idealistic, and boring. He has an amazing voice, though. Has anyone ever heard him *not* hit a note?

Can I say that I completely agree?! David Cook is the one that is marketable. I don't think David A will ever be a commercial success.

BUT...it drives me nuts when people think that David C is this creative genius, putting together his own arrangements. He's not. Well...he might be, but he's NOT doing these arrangements. He's covering covers. For "Hello" - he did Incubus' version; for "Billie Jean" he did Chris Cornell's (of Soundgarden) version. It's kinda like Daughtry's praise that he got for doing that Stevie Wonder song (that was a cover of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's version) or of Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" - which was the version "Live" had a hit with.

BUT...it drives me nuts when people think that David C is this creative genius, putting together his own arrangements. He's not. Well...he might be, but he's NOT doing these arrangements. He's covering covers. For "Hello" - he did Incubus' version; for "Billie Jean" he did Chris Cornell's (of Soundgarden) version.

True. I did wish he gave proper kudos when he was praised for the Billie Jean arrangement by Randy.

It would probably be better for David C if he didn't win... I think he'd be more successful commercially if he didn't. Not that many AI idols have been taken very seriously in the real music world.

You know, everyone thought David A's version of Imagine was his own brilliant arrangement, but it's a copy, too.

It would probably be better for David C if he didn't win... I think he'd be more successful commercially if he didn't. Not that many AI idols have been taken very seriously in the real music world.

You know, everyone thought David A's version of Imagine was his own brilliant arrangement, but it's a copy, too.

I don't get how the judges could be oblivious to this. AND it's not like the contestants have time to come up with arrangements. I think that's why David A sang "Imagine" again...he didn't have to learn something new :-)

I tried not watching when Archuleta sang, to see if that helped me like him more. I was still bored. I like the kid. I'd happily make him dinner and he could say, "Thank you, Mrs. B", and afterwards he could go off to rescue puppies or something... But I wouldn't buy his album.

Cook, on the other hand, has consistently grown on me over the course of the season. And I loved the U2 song tonight...

Amen!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That'd be, "Gosh, thanks, Mrs. B." :lol::lol::lol:

Ever since Simon made that comment about theme park performances, I've been expecting dancing candlesticks to pop out behind D.A.

I was surprised that David A wasn't criticized for re-singing a song. I think if David C had resung Billie Jean, he would have been criticized for it.

Have you ever heard the woman's version of Imagine that David A used? It's beautiful (sorry, I don't remember her name, but it's on youtube).

ETA: Eva Cassidy... here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRFEeLEXn4

You know what I think? Well, I think the judges are playing up DA because if he wins, he's stuck with AI's contracts and DA will have little to choice in what songs he does. He'll have very little creative control. If DC loses, he'll be free to do his own music his way (or at least have a bit more creative control). He's made a name for himself; he's got a following and if he loses, he'll have a lot more freedom musically than DA will, at least from the beginning. That's my take on it.

And, as a funny aside, I was on the phone with Fidelity Investments during AI and the representative was waiting for her computer to pull up my info, so she asked me how AI was going. She was in SLC, and lived close to the high school DA attends. So, we did some Idol chat until the computer brought my account up! LOL (and MY MONEY'S COMING, MY MONEY'S COMING! I should have it in 10 days!)

You know what I think? Well, I think the judges are playing up DA because if he wins, he's stuck with AI's contracts and DA will have little to choice in what songs he does. He'll have very little creative control. If DC loses, he'll be free to do his own music his way (or at least have a bit more creative control). He's made a name for himself; he's got a following and if he loses, he'll have a lot more freedom musically than DA will, at least from the beginning. That's my take on it. quote]

That's just what my dh said.

I can hardly believe my geek chemist husband has thoughts about such a thing.

:lol: So I am sure you're right.

You know what I think? Well, I think the judges are playing up DA because if he wins, he's stuck with AI's contracts and DA will have little to choice in what songs he does. He'll have very little creative control. If DC loses, he'll be free to do his own music his way (or at least have a bit more creative control). He's made a name for himself; he's got a following and if he loses, he'll have a lot more freedom musically than DA will, at least from the beginning. That's my take on it.

QUOTE]

And congrats on the money!

:iagree: :lol::lol::lol:

My teen and I were surprised at the judges last night. And for the record...she does not want to listen to him sing the phone book! LoL!

We have confirmation. It is now a scientific fact that only deaf or near deaf people like David A. :D

:iagree: :lol::lol::lol:

My teen and I were surprised at the judges last night. And for the record...she does not want to listen to him sing the phone book! LoL!

Oh, I know it.

Hey, that could be the title of David A's AI album...."David sings the Bell South pages"

"A-K"

"Meet me in the yellow pages"

Michella,

Do you really think Paula can think that deeply?:lol: I remember her saying something about...squeezing him till his head popped off, and hanging him from her rearview mirror. :drool: Strangest thing I've ever heard.

:iagree: Hope.~

And, as a funny aside, I was on the phone with Fidelity Investments during AI and the representative was waiting for her computer to pull up my info, so she asked me how AI was going. She was in SLC, and lived close to the high school DA attends. So, we did some Idol chat until the computer brought my account up! LOL (and MY MONEY'S COMING, MY MONEY'S COMING! I should have it in 10 days!)

Michella,

Do you really think Paula can think that deeply?:lol: I remember her saying something about...squeezing him till his head popped off, and hanging him from her rearview mirror. :drool: Strangest thing I've ever heard.

:iagree: Hope.~

At least last night she did not criticize songs that had not been sung yet. So, she is doing better.

I believe she wanted to "dangle" his headless body from her rearview mirror.

I just checked and yes,

Paula gushed, "I want to squish you, squeeze your head off and dangle you from my rearview mirror."

I hate to split hairs, but I just think the word dangle sounds so much more poetic than hang. To me it gives a certain mental image.

I think dangle is a strong verb. Don't you? In fact squish is a strong verb, too. That Paula, I bet she watched her IEW cd!!!

Oh yes! He has missed notes and in at least 3 or 4 songs this season he flubbed the words!

There are some songs he nails (even if its boring) and others... missed notes, missed lyrics, awkwardness.

One thing about Archie is that those songs he nails... those are songs he's sung for YEARS and years! Remember he won Star Search with a prize of $200,000 and has been coached and in many contests in his short life.

I like David C. better but Archie outperformed him last night.

:iagree::smilielol5: She must have...IEW should use her in a commercial or print ad. :smash:

At least last night she did not criticize songs that had not been sung yet. So, she is doing better.

I believe she wanted to "dangle" his headless body from her rearview mirror.

I just checked and yes,

I hate to split hairs, but I just think the word dangle sounds so much more poetic than hang. To me it gives a certain mental image.

I think dangle is a strong verb. Don't you? In fact squish is a strong verb, too. That Paula, I bet she watched her IEW cd!!!