Menu

How do you find time to plan for the coming year?

melissel

We'll be finishing up this current year (lots of sickness here over the last 12 months :glare:) up until the beginning of September, then we're traveling, then we're starting the new school year in mid-September. And even on days when we're not actively schooling, I spend so much time cooking/cleaning up/managing the kids/driving to and from the pool and activities, etc. :willy_nilly:

I need to make up the whole year's schedule in advance (probably not super detailed all upfront, though), and I need to make all the copies and fill the hanging files. Filing has saved us this past year, and it's the only way I can get anything done. It holds my feet to the fire. But...when do I do all this? As the summer spirals away, I can feel myself starting to panic a little!

How do you manage to find the time to plan ahead in the middle of all the current stuff you have to do?

I read teacher's manuals and the new school books to get ready next to the pool. I get in, play with them a little and cool off, then climb out, dry off and read. It is a lot easier to plan if I have a clue what the year is going to be about. The kids can swim for hours, and I have to be sitting right there. I just make good use out of the time!

I read teacher's manuals and the new school books to get ready next to the pool. I get in, play with them a little and cool off, then climb out, dry off and read. It is a lot easier to plan if I have a clue what the year is going to be about. The kids can swim for hours, and I have to be sitting right there. I just make good use out of the time!

What a good idea! Though sometimes I feel like the only person whose kids are like, "Mom, can you come in with me? Mom, can you carry me around on your back? Mom, go under water with me! Mom, look what I can do! Mom, come to the slide and watch me! MOMOMOMOMOMOM!" :lol:

Thanks though, that's a good starting place!

I tell my husband to take over part of my cooking and cleaning up so that I have time to spend on my other full time job. He does most of the laundry and a huge amount of housework for just that reason.

It is also how I spend a lot of my evenings and weekends.

*sigh* He works so many hours, and on his days off, if he's not still working, he's dealing with all the yard stuff (we used to think we wanted a huge yard, now we're kind of sorry we got our wish!) and car stuff or we're doing things together as a family. Not really downtime there :(

My plans aren't that detailed. I only plan in terms of which subjects we will do and which books we will use. I go for books that are easy to use that don't require too much planning on my part. For those things that require some planning (getting particular library books or supplies for projects) I plan that 4 weeks at a time. I add the supplies to my grocery list. I get all my books in one trip at the library.

I'm pretty good at flying by the seat of my pants.

Yeah, I'm more with this one.

I'm not exactly doing much that requires much planning, since I use Sonlight (and even got the workbook for the second level of Writing With Ease), but this is more my approach, anyhow. I do a variant on it by chopping my semesters into four- and five-week "chunks" and taking a week break between them (for the most part). During this break, I figure out what is left needing to be done, while kicking my sons outside--or downstairs--to play. (My oldest appreciates not being in school enough to be willing to play with his younger brother for a while, while the youngest is still at the stage of frequent naps.) I similarly take a week between semesters (except for the ones that have longer breaks between them already, such as Christmas and summer break).

"Chunking" your year into six-week "chunks" broken by week-long breaks to catch your breath, figure out what's working and what's not, and plan your next six weeks was a take on the school year recommended years ago at a conference I attended. I adapted that to something that more closely resembles the usual school calendar to make it a little simpler to use resources tied to that calendar, so that I would have even less planning to do, if possible.

Plus, you could always check and see if the curriculum you're using has a schedule planned by someone else... (Thanks again, Christine of Core Foundations!)

then we're traveling,

Who's doing the driving? If you don't get carsick, I find downtime in the car to be useful planning time. Hotel or visiting relatives is another useful time for me to break out my notes from the year, catalogs, TWTM and grab my legal pad to detail my very loose plans. Then Dad, Grandma and cousins can keep my children more than busy so I can get some work done.

I couldn't do filing more than a week in advance. I think I'm allergic.:tongue_smilie:

I do most of my planning late at night when all the kids and my Sweets are in bed. I also use the two hour nap/quiet time. Then there is the A-Team episodes. My kids watching about three a week :leaving:this summer.

Also at times the kiddos play so nicely and the two older read a lot:D

I squeeze in the planning in bits and pieces in between the cooking, cleaning, etc. If I am watching a movie, I do the planning then. I usually take an hour before bed to read, I use that hour to plan now. If I have had a really busy day and need some down time, I use that down time to plan. We are starting back to school in Aug. and I think I just might get it all done with bits and pieces planning that I have been doing. :001_smile:

Plus, you could always check and see if the curriculum you're using has a schedule planned by someone else... (Thanks again, Christine of Core Foundations!)

Oooooh - I hadn't seen that yet!! Thank YOU Christine! My Apologia should be delivered today and now I have a good idea for how to work the schedule - perfect for a newbie. Thanks!

We've only done one year, and that was straight Abeka w/ preschool worksheets for my son thrown in. I would always try to plan one week or more in advance, but that didn't always happen. What saved me was an outline. Have one for each day so you know what subjects need to be taught. Then, if you've been unable to prep beforehand, you just grab the outline for that day of the week and go from there. I imagine, copies could really kill that plan, but I didn't need to make any this past year. We're buying a small copier this summer.

Perhaps that will get you thinking in some way. Now I offer the disclaimer that, as I said, I've only done this one year. Next year I'm doing an assortment of stuff (not straight Abeka) and will be doing two grades. I'll probably be back here in three months begging for help, lol.

I had a rant thread in the General Board about this very subject. I am doing my planning at night but now I am going to rely on the Disney channel to keep ds distracted while I work from the dinner table. I also got my husband's nephew to help out (he is 1 of 6 kids) so can deal with anything ds throws his way.

Also I am cheating big time. If I can find someone else's schedule or plan lessons I will use them (after reading them to make sure they are ok). I am also using scholastic curriculum bank books, which have tons of lesson plans ready made (I'm not very creative). This cuts down planning time. IMHO

I am struggling too. I bought a new printer tonight (it was cheaper than new ink :lol:) and tomorrow dh is off so I am hoping to convince him to take the kids out for a few hours tomorrow so its just me and the books. I have figured a few things out but no actual planing has been done. I otherwise plan to try to do one or 2 subjects per child a day till I am done.

I am struggling too. I bought a new printer tonight (it was cheaper than new ink :lol:) and tomorrow dh is off so I am hoping to convince him to take the kids out for a few hours tomorrow so its just me and the books. I have figured a few things out but no actual planing has been done. I otherwise plan to try to do one or 2 subjects per child a day till I am done.

:iagree: "Dop the next thing" works well for things like math, or handwriting. In any case it get things done and that is what counts.

I had a rant thread in the General Board about this very subject. I am doing my planning at night but now I am going to rely on the Disney channel to keep ds distracted while I work from the dinner table. I also got my husband's nephew to help out (he is 1 of 6 kids) so can deal with anything ds throws his way.

Also I am cheating big time. If I can find someone else's schedule or plan lessons I will use them (after reading them to make sure they are ok). I am also using scholastic curriculum bank books, which have tons of lesson plans ready made (I'm not very creative). This cuts down planning time. IMHO

I was considering HST+ for this reason, but I suppose the time it will take me to learn how to use it would be longer than just writing up my own plans. I was really planning to not spend the whole summer doing this, but I don't know if I'll make it.:glare:

I have had either a baby or toddler since I began homeschooling. So I plan a weekend with DH where he can take the kids out most of the day, and I stay home and plan. I only make daily plans for 6-8 weeks at a time, but once I have the whole year mapped out better, it doesn't take a whole day to do the next 6-8 weeks and beyond.

As to the actual looking through curriculum and figuring out how certain programs work, I do that on an ongoing basis after the kids go to sleep. It's why I have not read much other than curriculum for the past month.

How about planning a special day they will basically feed and entertain themselves? You're 8 year old should be able to help with the 5 year old and clean up from easy meals.

Breakfast-set out several cereals, dried fruit, and nuts for them to have a mix/match tasting contest on who can make the best combination

Lunch-Have them make their own PB&J sandwiches and buy pre-cut veggies with dips to try

Dinner-Dad brings home pizza

Activities-Rent a movie they've been wanting to see; have them build a fort in one of their bedrooms; give them a long scavenger hunt list of things around the house; quiet reading times in their rooms

You could offer to take them out for ice cream after supper, if they will spend a whole day playing and taking care of each other. You could always pay your 8 year old to be the baby sitter while you do your work.

Thanks everyone, these are wonderful ideas and really got me thinking outside the box. Not long after I posted, a friend emailed me with info about a GS-related week-long sports camp that both girls can go to from 9-1 each day. That's perfect for what I was looking for! And then I remembered that DD8 is scheduled for a drama camp for two weeks in August, so if I can find something to keep DD5 busy during some of that time, I can sneak in a bit there as well.

Some of you also suggested some great things that will help me stitch some time together--as long as I stay focused, I think I can manage it. I have a feeling that 3rd grade is going to slide a bit further into September than I'd hoped though--I may just have to get used to that idea and be ready to pick up and :auto: when we're ready to start the next level of materials for each subject :D

Thank you all for the support and ideas!

We school year-round but take breaks when necessary, so this year, May and June were "school lite" months. We just did a few subjects, so it didn't take very long, and I had more of the day to work on stuff around the house and to plan for school next year. I spent most of a week or so planning stuff. It was a nice time of year, after a long and rainy winter/spring, so the kids were happy to play outside, but generally they're pretty good at entertaining themselves, whether they're right next to me or not. If I get in a crunch, DH will take them to do something on the weekend or will do the evening routine.

I didn't make up a specific daily schedule. Some of our subjects are pretty easy -- I can just glance at the book the weekend before and see what we'll be doing, but it's pretty self-explanatory, no real prep needed (French, Latin, Bible. . . ). For others, I need to print out some sheets still, like for handwriting. The bulk of the history and science is done, though, and that's what took the most time. I made up lessons, and we'll do them as we get to them; if a lesson takes multiple days to finish, that is okay too. Periodically throughout the year, we'll take a break of a day or a week so I can catch up, plan for the next several weeks, order library books, get craft materials, etc.

I have six who are schooling. I don't plan a thing. We do the next thing. That's the plan. It gets done. Now, believe me, checkboxes are pretty and fun to make up and check off, but my reality is that I don't even look at the plan once it's been made up. So all those hours planning were a waste.

Do the next thing gets it done.

And, if I can clean up and have it all done schooling six, you can (I'm hearing my Mom's voice in my head when I was terrified of taking my drivers test, "If I can do it, you can."). :grouphug: Have some grace with yourself. Schooling through sickness is not easy and I wouldn't expect everyone to be firing on all cylinders. Least of all you, who are in charge of everyone else!

Edited by justamouse

How do you manage to find the time to plan ahead in the middle of all the current stuff you have to do?

Generally speaking, I am always planning. As my children work through their current materials I keep in mind where we are going. If I didn't have some idea of where we were going, how would I know what to focus on now?

For example:

This year I want ds to have mastered single digit horizontal additions with speed and accuracy, because next I want him to master vertical additions. (So, I already know what we will be doing next.)

This year I want dd to finish ancient history, because next year I want to study the middle ages. (So, I already have next year's game plan.)

Right now I want dc to focus on phonics, because I will not start a spelling program until they do. (I know what to do now so that we can move on to what I have planned next.

When we reach the middle of our academic calendar for history and science and whenever goals are nearly met in math and LA, I start looking for products that will fulfill the next set of goals. LA I can pretty much plan for the year, but I typically do not like to plan math beyond thinking of what I would like to do next.

I like to really start planning during the February blahs. This way I can spread my purchases over many months instead of trying to come up with the money over a short period of time.

HTH-

Mandy