Menu

This revolts me...

I usually try to be a 'live and let live' type of person and avoid forming opinions on things that don't involve me, but... I can't help it. Those eating competitions revolt me!

I hate the idea of the wasted food. I know its not like the food would be sent to Ethiopia instead. It just seems sooo wasteful though. I hate the glamorization of being able to eat an obscene amount of any food. Like that's a real goal in life :glare:. I hate bad table manners as well :D.

I'm just whining, feel free to ignore me :001_smile:.

I hear ya. I avoid looking at the screen if it comes on the news. I don't want to read about it or see it. It actually makes me sick to my stomach. :ack2:

Exactly! It came across the news and I got sympathetic heartburn. :tongue_smilie:Just the idea...we need a queasy smiley. They should have taken those hotdogs to the local homeless shelter instead. Wouldn't that be more patriotic then stuffing people silly. I hate that this bizarre competition is associated with our country.

I agree. I once saw a commercial for a show where the guy goes around to different restaurants to try and take on their challenges. Makes me sick to think of that guy eating himself into a heart attack. and people watching it!

Exactly! It came across the news and I got sympathetic heartburn. :tongue_smilie:Just the idea...we need a queasy smiley. They should have taken those hotdogs to the local homeless shelter instead. Wouldn't that be more patriotic then stuffing people silly. I hate that this bizarre competition is associated with our country.

Not just here ...

But I agree, they disgust me.

A good old-fashioned pie-eating contest where everyone tried to be the first to finish a blueberry pie. That's just silly fun for some folks.

But the idea and actual act of cramming that much food into your digestive system is simply revolting. Can't imagine what the next couple days are like. And some of the people are really petite. Uggghh. :tongue_smilie:

My hubby loves to watch "Man vs. Food" (shich may be the show the above poster was referring to) and I think it is disgusting. Who needs to eat a 5 lb. hamburger or wings so hot it can make you sick???

Stupid! And even more stupid to make a TV show out if it and that people actually watch.:tongue_smilie:

Really. You won't believe it. :001_huh:

That's how I feel about watching most sports. :leaving:

I see young men and women using their gift of strength to do things like run up & down a court hitting or throwing a ball. I don't see the attraction. It seems like wasted physical talent. I wonder to myself if the athletes who are admired and held up as such heroes nowadays banded together to use their muscles for a real purpose, how many houses could they build? How many irrigation ditches could they dig to serve a third-world farm community? How many elderly people desperately need some help with re-roofing or painting their home?

What a waste. Hours of physical expenditure, and *nothing to show for it*. :confused:

Yes, I know, I'm a freak. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Julie in CA

I see young men and women using their gift of strength to do things like run up & down a court hitting or throwing a ball. I don't see the attraction. It seems like wasted physical talent. I wonder to myself if the athletes who are admired and held up as such heroes nowadays banded together to use their muscles for a real purpose, how many houses could they build? How many irrigation ditches could they dig to serve a third-world farm community? How many elderly people desperately need some help with re-roofing or painting their home?

What a waste. Hours of physical expenditure, and *nothing to show for it*. :confused:

:iagree: The salaries are obscene. Granted sports are a big money maker and a form of entertainment. But, wouldn't people watch even if players weren't making millions? I don't begrudge anyone being rich, but the sports salaries have always annoyed me. Hollywood too. It seems backwards to me that athletes and actors make millions, while teachers, nurses, law enforcement and the military make noticeably less.

Regarding the Man vs Food show - I keep expecting to hear the story that the host has had a heart attack.

I totally agree.

There's another TV show, and I'm sorry, I have no idea what the name is. But a nutritionist in England lays out a table with all the food that the obese "patient" consumed in a week. The idea is to gross the client out by seeing it in one place.

But most of the food on the table is perfectly good food. So the person ate too much at one time. That doesn't make the food inherently gross. I can always see plenty of healthy combinations on the table.

But then the TV host proceeds to throw all that food away! And the client is supposed to feel "cleansed" or "set free" by seeing the food destroyed.

Ack! I'd so much rather see them put it in tupperware containers and put it in the freezer. Or box it up for the homeless shelter.

I hate to see perfectly good food wasted for entertainment!

Julie, you're not alone. I struggle with my feelings on this because my dh is a big sports fan. And I want to share his interests (sometimes, at least!) It's just so hard for me to get past my perception that they, the athletes, aren't PRODUCING anything. You know?

It's even harder when I see fans get so upset over losing -- vandalizing or looting. UGH.

It's a GAME!!!

I usually try to be a 'live and let live' type of person and avoid forming opinions on things that don't involve me, but... I can't help it. Those eating competitions revolt me!

I hate the idea of the wasted food. I know its not like the food would be sent to Ethiopia instead. It just seems sooo wasteful though. I hate the glamorization of being able to eat an obscene amount of any food. Like that's a real goal in life :glare:. I hate bad table manners as well :D.

Me too! I never realized they were marketing schemes! I told dh this morning, 'that sure doesn't make ME want to buy a Nathan's hot dog!'

Ugh. I am not one to be amused by food all over one's face though. I don't even like to see it on an infant!

Me too! I never realized they were marketing schemes! I told dh this morning, 'that sure doesn't make ME want to buy a Nathan's hot dog!'

Ugh. I am not one to be amused by food all over one's face though. I don't even like to see it on an infant!

I've never seen an eating contest......but Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good!

I agree.

:iagree::iagree:(about the sports, not that you're a freak:D)

My hubby loves to watch "Man vs. Food" (shich may be the show the above poster was referring to) and I think it is disgusting. Who needs to eat a 5 lb. hamburger or wings so hot it can make you sick???

Stupid! And even more stupid to make a TV show out if it and that people actually watch.:tongue_smilie:

This is what I was going to post. I watched a couple of episodes with DH and DS and watching the guy slobber and sweat while he eats makes me ill.

I don't see any point to that show. I've a little of it when dh was watching it, and it's just gross.