Menu

help me pick paint and arrange our classroom pls!

I hope it is ok to put this here, as it is all about getting our classroom ready! We are closing on our new house next month. The pics below are of the room that will be our classroom and playroom. It is on the main floor, off the kitchen. This is how the seller's have the room currently. We will be replacing the carpet (or putting in flooring.)

We are definitely painting the wood paneling and molding. I was thinking white, linen, or antique white for that? Then I want a soothing color on the top half of the wall...blues, greens, grays, or, I don't know?! Something conducive to learning and not distracting. I do have a very large white board that we will be hanging up (like 5x5ft I think) and two rows of cork bars (36in each.) The pellet stove is staying. (yay!)

I would love specific paint suggestions if you have them and/or pics and links. Thanks!!

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

You've got a nice big room to work with. Your idea of painting the molding and bottom half a white linen or antique white is an excellent idea. Have you chosen your furniture yet? If you have a couch or upholstered chair that you will be using, I would pull colors from that for the top part of the walls and finish with coordinating curtains. Decorating is by far the best part of moving. Good luck!

it reminds me of a color by Restoration Hardware called Silver Sage, which is one of my favorites in a bright, sunny room . It can look dark, dull, and greenish in a room without a lot of natural light, however, so be sure to test a sample on the wall before you paint.

My other fav is one called Atmospheric Blue.

You can get both colors matched at paint stores with less expensive paint then Restoration Hardware.

Both would look great with White or Antique White.

Here's a link to the paint colors :001_smile:

Edited by ELaurie

Okay, me personally, I don't like the wood on the bottom much. Since you have plenty of wall space and plenty of room in the center, I, personally would put bookshelves, workstations, science area, art area in cabinets and shelves and desks essentially covering the wood. I'd put posters etc. on the upper part. I might make one area with a more shallow set of shelves so you could stand close to the wall, in case you wanted to put a big map or whiteboard up there.

With all the light coming in the door, I'd put good lighting in the back two corners, perhaps recessed or good lamps.

Just my first thoughts.

If you want to change colors, I'd pick antique white, not gloss.

Edited by kalanamak

I would choose a cheery color scheme. We have a bright green and red in ours. It just makes it so much more fun to go into the room. Also choose comfortable seating. You have so much space you could get away with a table for doing writing on and maybe some bean bags or a comfy couch for reading and other non-writing activities. You will need lots of book space so shelves are a must!

I would definitely paint the paneling/molding white. I love white paneling! As far as the top, just pick your favorite color and go for it. I, personally, love blue and I think it would go very nicely with white paneling/molding. Please show us after pictures!

I think your idea for the paneling and wood trim sound good. We love blues and greens at our house, so I would go with a tone like that. What color will your furniture be? What color will the adjoining kitchen be? I'd pick colors that will blend.

Why don't you go to a Sherwin Williams or other paint website and just pick a few colors you like to help get us started envisioning where you might want to go with this....

Blue is a calming color that is great for bedrooms or other places of relaxation. For me, a blue schoolroom would put me to sleep. I tend toward pale yellows for areas where work is to be done. It brightens things up and invigorates without overwhelming. That's my taste, for what it's worth.

Blue is a calming color that is great for bedrooms or other places of relaxation. For me, a blue schoolroom would put me to sleep. I tend toward pale yellows for areas where work is to be done. It brightens things up and invigorates without overwhelming. That's my taste, for what it's worth.

I was going to say the same thing. I'd go for a cheery yellow that's not too overwhelming. Accenting with some light blues would be pretty. You want a stimulating color for learning, but not a distracting one.

How much of the wall will be showing once you put shelving in there? If most of the wall will be book cases, white board and cork board, then the color won't matter as much as it would if the painted parts would be visible.

See, now I love the wall color. I just don't like the two together. If you paint the wood white, it'll really brighten up the color. On the other hand, I love the wood, but then I'd change the wall color.:tongue_smilie:

I'd put in hard flooring as you have a door to go in and outside. But then I'd buy an area carpet for a comfy reading nook and floor play.

See, now I love the wall color. I just don't like the two together. If you paint the wood white, it'll really brighten up the color. On the other hand, I love the wood, but then I'd change the wall color.:tongue_smilie:

I'd put in hard flooring as you have a door to go in and outside. But then I'd buy an area carpet for a comfy reading nook and floor play.

:iagree:The wood is very orange, so you need a green to balance that. If you are for sure painting the wood, I would go for a crisp and clean bright white and then the sky is the limit on what you do above it! I love turquoise-y blue/greens, so that's what I would pick. Since it's a school/play room, I'd get a fun area rug for one part of the space, maybe a reading nook with bean bag chairs or something, and pull colors from that. This rug from Ikea is fun!

Wow--I didn't realize there were so many replies! Thank you! I don't know what direction the room faces. I can figure that out when I visit the house again this week. I need to take some measurements and look at paint chips in the actual light of the rooms.

I would love to do built-ins right away, but it won't be in the budget. We need to replace carpet in the entire house because they had cats and I'm allergic. We also want to paint several rooms.

For the paint, I have been looking at these two Benjamin Moore colors, Brittany Blue and Heaven on Earth. They are both light, icy, gray-blues. The first is a little more gray, the second is a little brighter. And I think I have decided on Cotton Tail for the wood paneling. It is a soft, creamy white. However, I've been thinking that maybe I won't dislike the greenish-bluish that is in there after I paint the wood paneling?

I'm not sure about furniture. We will have all this playroom storage in there and the chair that is partially pictured:

IMG_1599-1.jpg

I also have a writing desk that is stained a brownish-cherry color, bookshelves that are a similar color, and I will be getting a cabinet to store all our homeschool stuff. My mom has offered us her family room couch and loveseat (she has been wanting to get a new one) which are in great condition, but I don't like the fabric on them. I would probably want slipcovers rather than work around the colors. We also have a futon that is an option to put in that room. It is very neutral--light, unstained wood and a cream colored cover.

So much to plan! It's fun but really overwhelming! And of course I wish I had a very generous budget to work with !

Lovely toy/book storage!

I'm wondering if with the white furniture (chair and maybe light-colored slipcovers?) whether you would want to paint the wood as the light furniture would pop nicely against it. But I understand wanting to paint it. :)

You will have nice consistent light in that room. The back of our house faces north I vote for a green color on the walls. It is a color of growth, life and creativity. Just what you want happening in there. Blue tends to be a more calming, relaxing color. Might put me to sleep during school. :lol:

Enjoy your new place!

Ok, I looked it up on google maps -- the slider faces directly north. I guess the light will be pretty consistent all day?

I would highly recommend a warmer color then; yellow, orange, a warm brown or green. You will also need lots of good lighting in there as well.

Our schoolroom faces north too. Sigh.

Ok, here are some decorating ideas:

I also vote for painting the wainscoting white. That will help brighten up the room and look better with more paint colors.

I would use your great play storage as a kind of room divider, and section off a little cave for playing. Maybe in the corner where the desk is in the pics.

You could put your students' desks or tables against and facing one of the walls, with halogen track lighting above. Or you could float them in the middle of the room. I think it would be nice to have your upholstered furniture around the pellet stove.

IKEA is great for furniture and storage for schoolrooms. I also recommend Pottery Barn Kids for decorating and classy organizational ideas. You could also look through the threads that are tagged "schoolrooms."

Have fun!

Ooooh this is giving me so much to think about!

So this afternoon I have been pondering painting the entire room a creamy white. I want it to be bright, but not distracting or obnoxious, and not boring.

Then I thought, since I have all the playroom storage, a bookshelf, futon or couch, chair, etc., do I really need to paint the wood? I strongly dislike the wood. But a lot of it will be covered if I put everything against the walls.

I would use your great play storage as a kind of room divider, and section off a little cave for playing.

I LOVE this idea! I think that could actually maximize space. Hmmm. That makes me think I *should* paint the bottom, then I won't have to have everything against the walls.

You will also need lots of good lighting in there as well.

Yeah...I know I will want lights installed but DH doesn't see the need right now :glare: He thinks it will be fine with the slider and a few lamps but I *KNOW* we will need more light.

I'm going to look through all those threads!

I painted my school room green ( Valspar Green Monsoon 5008-3c) and love it. I have wood floors and the color looks pretty nice. I've accented it with bright colors. But the color it's self doesn't glow at you.can u take the wood off the bottom? That's another idea but I would paint it. Google white wainscoting or thrifty white waincoting and see what others have used as the top color.

Ok. I've officially decided to go with a light, icy, gray-blue for the top part of the wall and a creamy white for the wood paneling. Benjamin Moore's Heaven on Earth and Cotton Tail. We are putting in laminate--a light oak with orange undertones. (Might sound weird but it is a nice color.) I'm going to use bright colors as accents in the room--rugs, curtains, wall decor, etc.--oranges and greens. The adjoining kitchen and bathroom will be a light greenish grayish. I'll post pics when it is all done, probably early to mid August! THANKS for all the help, and feel free to post pics of any decor I might be interested in! Especially if it is cheap, LOL! :tongue_smilie:

So we figured out that we can take down the wood paneling. The seller's showed us today how they installed it--the panels just fit together in grooves and the molding was nailed in. DH is THRILLED that he won't have to sand this stuff down and paint it!!! NOW, should I still go with blue? I'm on the fence and considering green again...or...something else?! I feel drawn towards orange but I just think I would get sick of that quickly. If anyone is still reading this, please feel free to share your advice. Closing on Thursday and then painting ASAP!

I think I still like your original idea of blue/white. You have some white things already. I think painting at least some of the woods in some matching color (perhaps a darker shade of blue) would look nice. I'd go with blue denim slipcovers for the couches and add in some denim pillows to other things....

The room is a great room and will turn into a lovely space...I am not sure of color choices and such because we have different decorating styles...I would never paint over wood paneling and molding :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:Don't paint it, no, no, ahhhhhhhh! Sorry, I couldn't restrain myself. :D

Seriously, though, the wood is lovely, but the room seems a bit gloomy with the blue-green on the walls.

I would (1) keep the wood on the bottom and (2) paint a cheery light yellow/cream on the top. I'd also paint the ceilings & trim a fresh coat of semi-gloss white. And put some ferns in there for the soothing greenish-blues. IMO, going from the pics, if you paint the room a cool shade, it might feel too dark and sleepy. :sleep:

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to share our completed schoolroom before we start our first official day of homeschool TOMORROW! This is probably the most organized that it will ever be! :lol: Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!

Here are views from every angle, starting with walking in from the hallway near the bathroom and kitchen:

IMG_3651.jpg

Main "school" and reading area. Most of our children's books are under the rain gutter shelves in baskets.

IMG_3652.jpg

These toy storage units hold toys, games, puzzles. (Don't mind the missing piece of painted wall near the garage door...that would be from DS)

IMG_3653.jpg

Dolls, doll clothes, etc. are to the right, kitchen/house/dress-up to the left:

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

We are planning on getting a large area rug. The sliders let in a lot of even light throughout the day. It's a very happy place :)

I would highly recommend a warmer color then; yellow, orange, a warm brown or green. You will also need lots of good lighting in there as well.

Our schoolroom faces north too. Sigh.

:iagree:

My kitchen and dining room face north and if it weren't for the skylights, it'd be pretty dreary. We have a slider in the dining room, and it never gets direct sunlight.

There is also a north facing bedroom with a BIG window. I painted it orange about five years ago. We're not sick of it yet--and it's bright.

California Paints has two colors that I think would be perfect for this: Pale Wheat for the molding and Tranquil Eve for the top half. They're both very soothing colors that would be conducive to learning and I think the blackboard would look really nice against the grayish top. The most important thing when it comes to interior paints is to experiment a bit and try painting a few different swatches to see what you like.