Menu

Happy dance going on here! Actually woke my daughter up from a sound sleep to tell her.

Please look away if a shameless brag bothers you, but...

SHE MADE A 5! In AP World History, entirely done at home, and she's 13!!!!!! Could not be more proud of her.

Terri

Happy dance going on here! Actually woke my daughter up from a sound sleep to tell her.

SHE MADE A 5! In AP World History, entirely done at home, and she's 13!!!!!! Could not be more proud of her.

Congrats to you both! That's terrific! :001_smile: Here's hoping everybody gets great news!

Terri

Wow, congrats! That's awesome :001_smile:

I outsourced my 14yo son's two AP classes this year -- Calculus BC and Computer Science. I was willing to wait until we got the mailed scores (b/c he'd done so well on the practice tests; he WAS nervous about taking them at the local high school -- unfamiliar environment). Anyway my son wanted to call, so we did this evening after getting home from an outdoor performance of Macbeth -- even though it's only 11 pm here, they were already available! Anyway he got 5s on both. What a shot in the arm. He can't wait to email his math-camp friends and tell them :001_smile:

Here's hoping everyone else gets good news!

~Laura

Congrats to all! :)

We're waiting until they mail the scores... I'm cheap, esp with our budget. Middle son will be out of town from the 5th to the 13th on a mission trip anyway and we're heading to our campsite down by the creek later today through the 4th.

I outsourced my 14yo son's two AP classes this year

So when my husband and I are interviewing candidates to marry my 13, you know, in 15 years or so, should we keep your 14 yo in mind? ;)

Congratulations to you both--great job!

I am ridiculously giddy about my daughter's score. This was our first experience with AP, and while she and I had no idea what we were doing, you all did: absolutely EVERYTHING she did to prepare is something I learned about on this board. So thanks, WTM!

Hope much more happy news is forthcoming in the next few weeks, and thanks for giving me somewhere to share the news.

Terri

Terri

Congratulations!:hurray: You're ready to go for your AP Economics next year!

Wow, congrats! That's awesome :001_smile:

Anyway my son wanted to call, so we did this evening after getting home from an outdoor performance of Macbeth -- even though it's only 11 pm here, they were already available! Anyway he got 5s on both. What a shot in the arm. He can't wait to email his math-camp friends and tell them :001_smile:

Here's hoping everyone else gets good news!

~Laura

Congratulations!:hurray:

Do you have the small booklet (maybe 5"x8") with the AP exam schedule on the front and a barcode on the back? The barcode number is the AP number. I remember to snag both from the kids this year.

I just might call today for ds's scores. He's going to orientation next Thursday...

Terri

:hurray::party::cheers2:

That is wonderful. Maybe when you have a moment you could describe what you did to prepare her for the test. This gives me hope.

That is wonderful. Maybe when you have a moment you could describe what you did to prepare her for the test. This gives me hope.

Arghhhh! I wrote this all out, and hit "post," and I had been logged out. Same thing happened when I responded to a PM asking the same question. I've got to run now but will put it all back later today.

Terri

Ok...you guys just cost me 8 bucks! I was planning to wait for them in the mail as a matter of principle, but this thread made me nuts! My daughter got a 5 on the Euro Exam.

I had the same thought; I wasn't going to call just as a matter of principle. My son got a 5 on Physics B.:D

Congratulations to everyone!

Congratulations Everyone!

Do you mind sharing what your son used for Physics B? My daughter is planning to self-study for this next year, and we are torn between the Giancola text and Kinetic Books Physics (algebra based-middle level).

Thanks!

Nancy

I have read good reviews for both of your options, but have no first-hand experience.

My son used College Physics by Serway and Vuille, 8th Edition. In addition to the text book, I purchased the solution manuals that had some (not all) of the problems from the end of each chapter worked out in step by step detail.

I also ordered the old released exams from the College Board to help him study for the AP. He took the SAT II as well, and used Sparknotes and the Barron Review book.

Good luck.

Okay, here goes (again!).

Before we started homeschooling in what would have been her fourth grade year, my daughter had never had any history. We did U.S. the first two years, and then decided to plunge into world history with a two-year path to prepare for the AP World History exam.

In Year 1, which would have been her sixth grade by age (but obviously not where she is working), we used the first Spielvogel/Duiker text, the one meant for college world history courses, and the study guide that goes with it. She took weekly tests that I prepared using test-creating software that goes with the program. I spent a whopping $30, if that, for all of this on half.com. She read the chapter, worked through the study guide, including some essay questions, and took the tests, which were hard for multiple choice tests. She learned a lot but was lonely.

In Year 2, first semester plus a couple of weeks of the second semester, we used Trisms Rise of Nations, minus the literature. She liked this very much, but it stops at 1850.

Year 2, what was left of second semester, she used two AP prep texts, So Are You Serious Aboug Getting a 5? and another one, the name of which I can't remember--woman author (Edith, maybe?), learned about it here, grey cover. Ring a bell, anyone? I can check when I get home if anyone wants to know. Are You Serious had more strategy, Edith's book was meatier. She emphasized their substantive materials on 1850+ and also read some books, rather randomly, on modern Africa and the Cold War.

The last two weeks, she did nothing but practice free-response questions, using old exams and the sample answers that the College Board has released. I love that they release samples that scored poorly as well as those that scored well.

One of the most important things she did was make a notecard with the requirements for getting the core points on each of the three types of questions. You do not get any expanded core points (for exceptional knowledge about a subject, or something like that) unless you get all of the core points. I was not about to let any exceptional knowledge go to waste like this, and her responses improved after this exercise.

I did almost nothing other than schedule every last thing and read her essays. Don't tell her, but I have no idea whether the substance of her essays over the two years was right, as I did not read along with her. If it made sense and was well written, I gave it a thumbs' up. I relied on multiple choice exams to judge her substantive knowledge.

One bit of advice I gave her was to focus on China and Africa. She is taking Mandarin Chinese, so it was easier for her than most students to remember Chinese dynasties and names, and I thought that would be an excellent way to nab some expanded core points. Despite my earnest prayers to the contrary, she did not a discussion question on China. Africa, however, was her second strength. As she was going into the exam, she says the high school students around here were talking about how they didn't know anything about Africa. And sure enough, the actual exam included a big, fat question on ancient Africa. She thinks she nailed that one.

Hope that helps someone. The whole process has been substantially demystified for me now. While we unashamedly taught to the test, the AP world history exam is a good test--if you can do well on it, by golly, you've learned some history.

It's so exciting, and encouraging, to see good reports rolling in. Nice job, moms!

Terri

In Year 1, which would have been her sixth grade by age (but obviously not where she is working), we used the first Spielvogel/Duiker text, the one meant for college world history courses, and the study guide that goes with it. She took weekly tests that I prepared using test-creating software that goes with the program. I spent a whopping $30, if that, for all of this on half.com. She read the chapter, worked through the study guide, including some essay questions, and took the tests, which were hard for multiple choice tests. She learned a lot but was lonely.

Terri

Wow, thanks for typing this all up (twice). I will have to print this and consider how I can start a similar approach as we begin US history.

I'm not sure that I understood what you were referring to in the bolded, where you mentioned test-creating software. Could you elaborate?

Wow, thanks for typing this all up (twice). I will have to print this and consider how I can start a similar approach as we begin US history.

I'm not sure that I understood what you were referring to in the bolded, where you mentioned test-creating software. Could you elaborate?

http://www.amazon.com/ExamView-Duiker-Spielvogel-World-History/dp/0534603777

This is what I used. The software is tailored to this exact text. You tell it how many questions you want, what type, etc., and it spits out tests and, most importantly, answer keys. I don't think it had discussion questions, but there were plenty of essay topics in the study guide. I found the software, quite by accident, on half.com, while buying the textbook and study guide. I wasn't even quite sure what it was when I ordered it.

Terri

Edited by plansrme

Hope that helps someone. The whole process has been substantially demystified for me now. While we unashamedly taught to the test, the AP world history exam is a good test--if you can do well on it, by golly, you've learned some history.

Same here ... now we know how to prepare, how to get the (very useful) released exams from College Board, how to sign up at the local high school, etc. I'm SO excited about how this will (a) give my son a solid high-school education, and (b) give him that "external validation" on his transcript.

It's so exciting, and encouraging, to see good reports rolling in. Nice job, moms!

:iagree:

So when my husband and I are interviewing candidates to marry my 13, you know, in 15 years or so, should we keep your 14 yo in mind? ;)

Sure -- sounds like a good match! :001_smile:

The only girls he has shown ANY interest in are studious (but fun) girls from math camp. (Yay! :D)

I am ridiculously giddy about my daughter's score. This was our first experience with AP, and while she and I had no idea what we were doing, you all did: absolutely EVERYTHING she did to prepare is something I learned about on this board. So thanks, WTM!

While I outsourced both classes, I totally agree -- when I think of all of our curriculum "hits," they've all been from this board. I even feel, with the new book by Mary Pryor from IEW and the released College Board exams, we *could* do AP English at home ...

Hope much more happy news is forthcoming in the next few weeks, and thanks for giving me somewhere to share the news.

Yes, I will only be able to tell two or three IRL friends ... without seeming to brag. I LOVE THIS BOARD!!! :D

~Laura

Same here ... now we know how to prepare, how to get the (very useful) released exams from College Board, how to sign up at the local high school, etc. I'm SO excited about how this will (a) give my son a solid high-school education, and (b) give him that "external validation" on his transcript.

Yes, I will only be able to tell two or three IRL friends ... without seeming to brag. I LOVE THIS BOARD!!! :D

~Laura

You guys have all given me a huge shot of inspiration where I've been feeling mostly stress and an inability to measure up to the local public school offerings. Thank you.

I printed out a bunch of the US History teacher guide to mull over during our break. I hope in a couple years I'll be able to be bragging back to you all.

~Laura

:iagree::hurray:

Congrats again everyone! Our ps dropped AP classes/tests because so few kids would ever score a 3 (much less higher). On here I absolutely love hearing how common scores of 3 or higher are. It helps all of us homeschoolers when anyone does well. ;)

And I've resisted the urge to call for middle son's score... He's pretty sure he did well on the Stats test (at least a 4), so I'll be content with his personal assessment until the letter arrives in the mail (I think).

I was elated with the 3 and 4 that came through when I called last night. :) A 3 is passing, and in some classes I can't ask for more than that from my guys. It is exciting to hear of all the high scores on this board. I think we should all nod our heads that we are doing a great job educating our kids.

I was elated with the 3 and 4 that came through when I called last night. :) A 3 is passing, and in some classes I can't ask for more than that from my guys. It is exciting to hear of all the high scores on this board. I think we should all nod our heads that we are doing a great job educating our kids.

:iagree:

I almost didn't post my son's 5s, but then I thought it might encourage some folks. Math and computer science are his absolute passions. I would have been surprised if he hadn't gotten 5s, and it would've been because of peripheral issues such as nerves, unfamiliar testing environment, not budgeting his time, etc.

He wants to try AP Comparative Gov next year -- because it sounds interesting to him (more so than AP physics, much to my physicist-husband's dismay!). Anyway, I just want to point out that we will be quite happy with a 3 or 4 for him on the AP Comp Gov exam next year. I know he *can* learn to write timed essays by hand, but it will require some serious work on his part!

~Laura

Terri

Wonderful please hug that wonderful child and tell her congrats. We just took our first AP class at 14, and I know how hard we worked!! :hurray:

AAAGH The score for my dd is "not available in their database. " What the heck? Of course the proctor did not have the home school code for Iowa available at the time she took the exam so who knows??? This is so frustrating. They cannot even proctor an exam correctly and wonder why I insist on teaching all AP myself???!!! I will just sit home and stare at the wall until Tuesday. Poo. Please someone tell me it is alright and this has happened to them before....

Terri

Congratulations. Could you list the books she used to study world history?

Also waiting for the mail; does anyone have any idea how much of a wait that might be?????

The website says mid-July, so my guess is a couple of weeks. I'm sure they want to get as many extra $8 fees as they can first. (And I'm not blaming anyone for paying the fee - just talking business reality.)

I read somewhere (probably on these boards!) that they start mailing the scores in early (?) July, starting with the West Coast (because they have the farthest to go?). Apparently the College Confidential site had a thread where people across the country posted when they received their scores.

ETA: oh, cleaning out my in-box just now, I see it was posted in one of my yahoo groups:

They start mailing results now, from the west coast across the country to

the east coast. I think last year Oklahoma got their mailed results around

the 13th. There was a thread on College Confidential last year that tracked

when people in different places got their scores.

New this year, teachers who passed the AP Audit will have online access

beginning July 5th. So, that might be an alternative way to get scores in

some cases.

Edited by Laura in CA

Yes! Ethel, not Edith. That's exactly it.

Congratulations. Could you list the books she used to study world history?

I posted some more details earlier in the thread. I wasn't home when I was posting that, so I was a little fuzzy on some details. If you don't recognize something from my descriptions, let me know. I'll be happy to look up the exact names.

Terri

Good for them! We have a friend who is the head AP European History teacher at a local, well-regarded high school. He's a smart guy and a well-loved teacher at this high school, and he measures his success by the number of 3s or higher. There is not a thing in the world wrong with a 3. Really, if you read one of these tests, it's mind-boggling the amount of information these kids are expected to know. Hold your heads high, 3 and 4 moms!

Terri

AAAGH The score for my dd is "not available in their database. " What the heck? Of course the proctor did not have the home school code for Iowa available at the time she took the exam so who knows??? This is so frustrating. They cannot even proctor an exam correctly and wonder why I insist on teaching all AP myself???!!! I will just sit home and stare at the wall until Tuesday. Poo. Please someone tell me it is alright and this has happened to them before....

Anybody??? Now I am worried that this bodes poorly in that someone lost the exam or dd filled info out incorrectly...:001_huh:

I'm expecting my dd to have a 3 and my other student to have a 4 for the AP Physics B exam. This was a first-time physics course for both of them and they were both taking Algebra II concurrently and they were both under 16yo. I bought the 2009 exam from college board and those are the scores they got (and they were both right in the middle of the range).

My dd is Aspie and stresses very easily. She was extremely keyed up about the exam and was in tears when I picked her up.

I tried to make her understand that the AP test could only help her, not hurt in any way. She gets high school credit for physics no matter what she gets on the AP test. The AP test can give her college credit or not, but it can't take away anything she already has. None of her possible majors list physics as a required course (although they do require biology and chemistry).

Do you have the small booklet (maybe 5"x8") with the AP exam schedule on the front and a barcode on the back? The barcode number is the AP number...

It has been so hectic for us since May with National Speech and Debate Tournaments that we forgot that he had received that small booklet.

Today, I started cleaning out and guess what I found---the booklet!!!!

I couldn't control myself and I had to call. I'm proud of those of you that have such self-control.

I'm happy to report that he got a 5 on APUSH! He took the class with Mrs. Richman of PAHomeschoolers.

I had to text him the great news because he is at Boys State.

I'm happy to report that he got a 5 on APUSH! He took the class with Mrs. Richman of PAHomeschoolers.

Congrats! Susan Richman really does a great job with APUSH. My older son took her class several years ago and absolutely loved it. My younger is taking it this fall. I highly recommend this class! :)

Not all AP tests are ready yet. We got my dd's US History, but not her English. What test did your dd take?

Margaret

Hi Margaret! I called on Sunday evening and got my ds's scores for Chem, English Lit, and US Government. I am so glad I did! He got 5's in Chem and Gov't and a 4 in Lit!! Doing the happy dance here in CA! Did your dd take the Lit exam or the Language and Comp exam? If you are will to pay $8 again, you might want to call back. Snail mail reports should be here relatively soon, though -very hard to wait! Ds is hoping the Lit Exam report will say how he did on the various parts of the exam. I took the APUSH exam in high school, but have no recollection of the score report (1979 was a long time ago!). Best wishes to your dd on her exam results!

Blessings,

April

I'm asking in here, in hopes that some of you with younger dc taking the test will answer...

Are scores before high school dropped unless you request otherwise, as with the SAT-II. Dd will take AP Comp Sci as an 8th grader. I know we will have to purposefully keep her SAT-II Bio score from this year in writing if we want it, but I wasn't sure about the AP test.