Menu

17 day diet

I have heard of it and have a cousin that has lost 50 lbs on it. He loves it. Can you give me some examples of things you eat on it? I want to look at the book so I guess I'll have to buy it but can't until later in the week.

A friend has lost 40 lbs. on it. I checked it out of my library, didn't have a chance to read it, and had to return it. Now I'm 4th on the waitlist. (Wow, Kathleen, I'm glad I'm not #22!)

Kind of discouraging.:tongue_smilie: They have about 15 copies though, so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.

I couldn't wait to get it so I just ran down and bought it. I can do this diet for sure. I'm already eating mostly this stuff anyway. It should be pretty simple for me. You go thru 3 cycles, 17 days each. Each cycle introduces an increased amount of different foods until you reach goal and move into cycle 4 which is maintainance. I still have yet to read the book completely but this is the gist of the program. The foods are all doable, at least for me. I'm gonna start next week.

Oh, and you have hot water with lemon in the morning upon getting up. A cup of green tea at each of the main meals, 3 times a day. Exercise 17 min a day.

• 1 month later...

I am on day 3 of cycle 1. I have lost 9lbs and am a bit dumbstruck! :eek: Yes, I know it is mostly water weight, but oh my goodness.

The first day was really rough. I felt sick (but part of that had to do with the huge slice of keylime pie I ate the night before as a farewell to desserts :D) and highly recommend starting this on a weekend.

Both, dh and I are doing this together. He actually hasn't lost any weight yet, but he is off coffee and feels more alert. Last night he was talking my ear off, there was no after dinner slump!

Maybe I need to do one of the other twenty diets sitting in my bookshelves . :lol:

I can relate. :lol:

FYI, if you purchase this book and place it on your bed side table it doesn't do a thing for weight loss ;)

:lol:

So good to hear that others are doing great on this. I plan on trying this when I feel disciplined and motivated enough. I think I need to buy the book, however. I have the Dukan Diet book and that's just sitting there. :tongue_smilie: Haven't even flicked through the pages yet. Scared to. :lol:

Too many big things have been happening - birthdays, anniversaries, etc. - Hope to get back on the healthy bandwagon soon.

• 2 weeks later...
just an update on how we are doing...we started this almost 2 months ago & I am down 20#s. Still loving it & going strong! Glad to see I have some company to celebrate with me!

I have a question about this diet...Is coffee allowed?

I have GOT to do something and I'm thinking about ordering this book. I only drink 2 cups of coffee a day, but when I stop I come down with a massive headache so I'd like to plan for that if coffee is not allowed.

love it......have been doing about a month or so--lost about 10pounds---now if my lovely time of the month would be over LOL I could see how much more I've lost--I always gain 5pounds no matter what I do for those few days each month---very annoying....

I want to start it today.....I wonder if Wal-Mart has the book?

Is coffee allowed?

Ok, I realize I t/j'd but wanted to update everyone....

I woke up Monday morning and weighed more than I've ever weighed. (except for pregnancy of course....but I am not far from that!) So I bought the book Monday and began the plan/diet Tuesday morning. If I go by my Monday morning weight I've lost 6 pounds. Tuesday morning weight (official beginning of 17 days) I have lost 4 pounds.

Believe it or not I already feel MUCH better. The book is very helpful....full of motivation, some science, recipes and a day by day menu suggestion for all 4 cyles.

I'm starting this on Monday! I really want to start right away, but we are going away this weekend and are visiting at least one smorgasbord. I know I won't be able to resist the desserts, and I doubt broasted chicken is allowed.:D Sunday afternoon I'm going buy a few days worth of food so that I can plan and be prepared. That's where I mess up the most. If I don't plan out meals and snacks I will not stick with it. I would like to find some recipes for each cycle to make it more interesting.

I'm the biggest carb addict, but I really think they are making me feel crappy, so I'm interested to see if I will feel better overall. I've heard from others doing the diet that their energy level increases dramatically.

I'm starting this on Monday! I really want to start right away, but we are going away this weekend and are visiting at least one smorgasbord. I know I won't be able to resist the desserts, and I doubt broasted chicken is allowed.:D Sunday afternoon I'm going buy a few days worth of food so that I can plan and be prepared. That's where I mess up the most. If I don't plan out meals and snacks I will not stick with it. I would like to find some recipes for each cycle to make it more interesting.

I'm the biggest carb addict, but I really think they are making me feel crappy, so I'm interested to see if I will feel better overall. I've heard from others doing the diet that their energy level increases dramatically.

I have an event right smack in the middle of this first 17 days but I just decided enough is enough. I always have some reason not to start...

Did you buy the book? It has recipes for the cycle 1 portion.

Well I cheated and had it white! Can't see it is going to make that much difference with a little skimmed milk! You can also have a little dark chocolate at certain times of the month!

Stephanie

I think I read you can have some skim milk in coffee....but I like mine 'fixed' a certain way with a bit of sugar and half and half and if I can't have it that way I would just as soon have it black. :tongue_smilie:

I'm very excited about this diet. Can't wait to get back in my clothes!

I noticed that greek yogurt is a big part of this diet. What if you can't have dairy?

From what I understand, you are allowed two snacks: a) low glycamic fruit and b) yoghurt

You can have the fruit only up to 2pm, so the yoghurt makes a nice snack for the afternoon.

That said, this week I had no yoghurt in the house and I managed to release almost 5 pounds in four days...

I just have another snack or no snack at all.

I don't think it is obligatory to have yoghurt - it just makes things easier for those who are missing milk (say have smoothies with yoghurt instead of milk).

If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

From what I understand, you are allowed two snacks: a) low glycamic fruit and b) yoghurt

You can have the fruit only up to 2pm, so the yoghurt makes a nice snack for the afternoon.

That said, this week I had no yoghurt in the house and I managed to release almost 5 pounds in four days...

I just have another snack or no snack at all.

I don't think it is obligatory to have yoghurt - it just makes things easier for those who are missing milk (say have smoothies with yoghurt instead of milk).

If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

I think you are right. But he did mention something about needing some probiotics or some such for some reason. :tongue_smilie:

On a side note, I gained a pound. :glare:

I think that apart from the vegetables, the fruit and the yogurt are your main sources of carbs for the first cycle. If you can't have yogurt, then you are eliminating carb source.. Not sure what to do...

At any case, I have released around 5 pounds in less than a week and I didn't have any yogurt..

Edited by 4littleones