Menu

How important is a phonics program?

NicAnn

How important would you consider a phonics program?

I actually never put much thought into it, and now I'm looking at my options for K. :001_huh:

Do you feel a store bought curriculum is necessary or have you made up your one way of teaching phonics?

Thanks!

I honestly think that phonics is a really important aspect of learning how to read. I am sure you could teach phonics on your own if you are really well versed in phonics. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Phonics, Phonics Pathways, MCP Phonics or ETC books are all very inexpensive and are all really good to at least give you a guideline to teach from.

I know I don't fit in with the common mode of thought on this board when it comes to phonics. I agree with Mrs. Ruth Beechick's way of thinking.

I learned how to read withOUT phonics other than the pig did the jig. I know you will hear how Johnny can't read, but this "Janie" learned just fine.

I do find basic phonics very beneficial, but I don't hold much stock in teaching every jot and tittle of the rules. There are just far too many exceptions.

How important would you consider a phonics program?

I actually never put much thought into it, and now I'm looking at my options for K. :001_huh:

Do you feel a store bought curriculum is necessary or have you made up your one way of teaching phonics?

Thanks!

I've taught phonics for 17 years and I still use books...it's too important, you want to make sure you don't miss anything. Reading and math are foundational subjects. However, my current favorites are free. I also teach them from the white board. I print them to refer to, but you could scribe from the computer.

Blend Phonics:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/blend_phonics.html

Webster's Speller, here is a thread on how I used it for K with my son.

I know I don't fit in with the common mode of thought on this board when it comes to phonics. I agree with Mrs. Ruth Beechick's way of thinking.

I learned how to read withOUT phonics other than the pig did the jig. I know you will hear how Johnny can't read, but this "Janie" learned just fine.

I do find basic phonics very beneficial, but I don't hold much stock in teaching every jot and tittle of the rules. There are just far too many exceptions.

Actually, if you use a good program with good rules, most words are then covered as phonetic, there are only a few exceptions. Some of the most commonly taught rules are poor, the main one being "when two vowels go walking."

Also, some children do fine without phonics, but more read well with well taught phonics. For example, a school that switched to a well designed phonics program, from Sally Shaywitz's "Overcoming Dyslexia, A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level" p. 261:

"In one Tallahassee, Florida, elementary school where such a program was implemented, the percentage of struggling readers dropped eightfold--from 31.8 percent to 3.7 percent."

:iagree:

Oh, absolutely do I agree.

My philosophy of reading is that the more excited a kid can get about it, the better off you are, and phonics are booooring and fairly abstract. Plus, your children need to learn that there isn't a hard-and-fast rule for everything in life, and particularly not for pronouncing (or representing) the English language, because kids at reading age usually are very rules-oriented anyhow, and that can bog down their reading.

So I just went with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons for my oldest, and I'm planning on sticking with that for my next.

That said, I am doing a phonics-based spelling approach. (I'm doing All About Spelling, because it's soooo pretty.) Spelling is boring no matter how you do it, so I'm going to sneak in some phonics instruction while we're at it!

I think it's most important for reading multi-syllable words and for spelling. I find it less confusing to just teach it from the beginning and then you've got those things covered.

My oldest taught himself to read, so he didn't have a strong phonics foundation. Spelling was very difficult for him, and he was getting stuck at those 4th grade level multi-syllable words. Now he's learning phonics via spelling, and he's becoming an excellent speller AND has gone up multiple grade levels in reading (he's currently reading a book that's grade level 7.3 and just needs help on the Latin names in it).

My middle child is learning phonics from the get-go, and he can already spell well because of it. It's a slower process, but we started early, so he's still ahead of the game. ;) In the end, he'll reach the finish line earlier because he'll have the tools to read the larger words without having to memorize them or have them taught to him. :)

Actually, if you use a good program with good rules, most words are then covered as phonetic, there are only a few exceptions. Some of the most commonly taught rules are poor, the main one being "when two vowels go walking."

Then we better throw out Leap Frog and Starfall for supplementing.

It's super important to teach phonics but curriculum is required if you know what to teach. I have Ruth Beechick's guidelines for teaching phonics in chart/checklist form to make teaching it easy. You'll just need to read her method for using/presenting them. You can likely find her books at your library.

http://www.kvisit.com/Sv5pS

I'm on my phone so hopefully that link works. If not, I'll fix it from my computer later.

Absolutely.

Some dc seem to learn to read all by themselves, but most need more direct instruction. It's better if that direct instruction is phonics. :-)

:iagree:

I

Also, some children do fine without phonics, but more read well with well taught phonics. For example, a school that switched to a well designed phonics program, from Sally Shaywitz's "Overcoming Dyslexia, A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level" p. 261:

"In one Tallahassee, Florida, elementary school where such a program was implemented, the percentage of struggling readers dropped eightfold--from 31.8 percent to 3.7 percent."

Yes!

Then we better throw out Leap Frog and Starfall for supplementing.

I actually use those, I just point out that the little frogs and chickens don't know the best rules!

:lol:

Absolutely.

Some dc seem to learn to read all by themselves, but most need more direct instruction. It's better if that direct instruction is phonics. :-)

:iagree: Dd is very resistant to phonics education directly, and taught herself to read, but she is getting a phonics-based spelling education (AAS), as well as some Happy Phonics games and more.starfall.com and now I've gotten her to really work on ETC online. As long as it doesn't look or feel like phonics instruction, she's good.

I think phonics are absolutely essential. Of course, there are those few children who do actually learn to read without learning phonics (I was one of them), but I believe those are few and far between. (I'm ducking now in case someone throws tomatoes at me). Sure, you could probably put a program together, but why? There are good programs out there, not all are expensive, so why try to reinvent the wheel?

My oldest taught himself to read, so he didn't have a strong phonics foundation. Spelling was very difficult for him,

This describes me - I taught myself to read and never learned phonics - I still struggle with spelling (and reading with correct pronunciation).

I wish I had learned phonics to help with spelling and pronunciation.

Best wishes.

I think it's most important for reading multi-syllable words and for spelling. I find it less confusing to just teach it from the beginning and then you've got those things covered.

My oldest taught himself to read, so he didn't have a strong phonics foundation. Spelling was very difficult for him, and he was getting stuck at those 4th grade level multi-syllable words. Now he's learning phonics via spelling, and he's becoming an excellent speller AND has gone up multiple grade levels in reading...

Agreeing with the first para - and dd9 was/is exactly like your 4th grader. She taught herself to read, but hit a brick wall about a year ago (beginning of 4th grade) when the words in her books got longer and more complicated. It almost killed her pleasure in reading, but I'm glad to say that having worked really hard on remedial phonics (MCP B and C) this year she's catching up again and also beginning to enjoy her reading as before.

I think teaching the phonetics of reading is essential.

But I also think that a lot of "Phonics" programs are bloated with unnecessary "rules" - the walking and talking vowels, teaching two-letter blends as separate sounds to memorize when they are just two sounds that are blended (st, sp, etc.) - heck, teach "s", teach "t", teach blending, rinse and repeat for all the rest of them!

All I ever used to teach three kids to read was a little book called Reading Reflex. It costs $16, or you can get it from the library. It is intensely phonetic, teaches no sight words at all, but it doesn't teach rules to memorize, requires no bells and whistles - you just need the book and a white board (and you photocopy then cut letter tiles out of the book).

If you like workbooks, there is another workbook-based program called ABeCeDarian that uses the same methodology (PhonoGraphix), but all I needed was that $16 book and my trusty whiteboard.

This describes me - I taught myself to read and never learned phonics - I still struggle with spelling (and reading with correct pronunciation).

I wish I had learned phonics to help with spelling and pronunciation.

Best wishes.

My DS has been reading since 2.5, he learned obviously by sight. As soon as I realized he was doing it, I started teaching him the sounds of the letters so he could sound out words he didn't sight memorize. IMO, which is far from expert, yes, it's important.

For a non-reading child, I'd start with a phonics-based approach at 5 or 6. DD the Younger didn't even know all her letters at 5.5 and has responded well to a phonics-first approach. However, it's not something I would push with early, "spontaneous" readers unless needed for spelling. DD the Elder started reading at about 2.5; about a year later I had her read through the word lists in OPGTR, but without doing the lessons. She zipped through, and I'm reasonably sure it didn't hurt. :tongue_smilie:

I'm big on phonics, can't get enough phonics I say! :)

My son went through OPGtR, then Dancing Bears, and PR 1. It could have been a bit much in the phonics department but he learned to read so young that I wanted to be sure that he had it DOWN.

We had some issues with guessing and such and we don't anymore. I attribute that to LOTS of phonics review and practice in reading with the Elson/McGuffey readers, which we STILL use.

He reads easily at a 5th grade level now and only occasionally stumbles with the harder multi-syllable words. Still, I have Dancing Bears C here that I am teetering on using because he doesn't mind doing it and its more practice. I guess I am struggling on when to STOP phonics :p

I guess I am struggling on when to STOP phonics :p

When he can sound out anything!

Here are some syllable division rules and exercises for you, links #6 and #7 on my how to tutor page, links at end of page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Megawords is also good for syllables, and I like Marcia Henry's Words for combined phonics/spelling/vocabulary work, it is for 3rd grade and above but you can use it with a 2nd or 1st grader if they are strong in LA.

Of course, my favorite is Webster's Speller, phonics and spelling taught to a 12th grade level!

I think phonics is VERY important. It is the equivalent to a home's foundation. You build well when it is solid-- you create a great education when the fundamentals and rules are learned well. Spelling, reading anything, linguistics, all of those important aspects of education start there. I really liked Phonics Museum from Veritas Press. I'm seeing the fruits in my dd which is exciting as her mom and satisfying as her teacher. And in my public school education my phonics was so weak and I actually learned a ton doing first grade work. :blush:

I agree using phonics is important, but I didn't use any program to teach my oldest son to read. We started out with Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, but found that book awful. So we just grabbed Bob books and other easy readers and just started sounding things out.

At 7.5 I'd say he's on target for his age, which is good. But he's never been excited about reading. Only this summer has he shown any interest in participating in any summer reading program.

My youngest will be 5 in September and he seems much more interested in reading. We'll see how he does when we actually start sounding words out in kindergarten.

When he can sound out anything!

Here are some syllable division rules and exercises for you, links #6 and #7 on my how to tutor page, links at end of page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Megawords is also good for syllables, and I like Marcia Henry's Words for combined phonics/spelling/vocabulary work, it is for 3rd grade and above but you can use it with a 2nd or 1st grader if they are strong in LA.

Of course, my favorite is Webster's Speller, phonics and spelling taught to a 12th grade level!

You have given me great advice before when I've asked you for it :) Thanks! I went through Word Mastery and your syllable division rules/exercies with him already :) He is --> <-- close to sounding out anything he wants. Some of the "weird" multi-syllable words that don't necessarily follow phonics rules still get him.

I did buy Megawords but only had him work through about 10 pages of it. I don't know what I am "saving" it for but he got a lot from PR 1 and will probably get a LOT more practice for this sort of thing in PR 2.

Phonics is essential. Some people just "pick it up" on their own, but if they are strong readers or spellers, they know their phonics (by which I mean the connections between letters and sounds - I am not referring to rules). I think of it as a body of knowledge that needs to be learned in order to read very good literature accurately and in order to be an excellent speller.

The cool thing for home educators is that there is a huge variety of phonics programs from which to choose. And if one doesn't work well for your particular child, you can switch. Most are pretty affordable.

Some programs emphasize rules. Quite a few do not use rules in their approach. Some include movements to help students remember letter-sounds. Some require just one book to purchase. Some provide lots of different materials, include letter-sound tiles, matching decodable readers, handwriting guidelines, etc. Some focus just on reading. Some include spelling as a core component. Some are scripted. Some are more free-flowing. Some are in-between.

As for becoming a good speller, there is very compelling research on how early phonics teaching (specifically synthetic phonics, i.e. with a focus on the blending and segmenting of sounds) has a large effect on spelling ability.

We used a phonics programme (a UK one called Superphonics) for the basics (I think it got as far as the silent 'e' rule) but then both boys just took off and I didn't bother any further. They can read almost anything and spell well.

Laura

Thanks for the advice and links!

We will begin with a phonics program, because as I was reading this thread, I realized there is a lot I don't know about the rules of phonics. I taught myself to read at a young age and i don't think there was much focus on advanced phonics in school.

It turned out to be vital for my son. He learned to read without phonics, and just as all the trends seem to indicate, when he hit fourth grade he got hung up on much bigger words and could not spell his way out of a paper bag.

AAS has totally solved the problem, but I wish I hadn't had to fix it in the first place.

I'm using PR for my daughter, to ensure that does not happen again.