Menu

How I Organize the School Work...

Just thought I'd post how I organize the kids work and school stuff. I haven't seen a similar style here before. I've been meaning to mention it for quite awhile thinking it might be helpful to others but never got around to it. I finally spilled the beans in another thread and a few people found it helpful so here are some pics and the description from the other thread for those interested.

I use wire dish racks for the current work. I can stand their books up in in the part meant for the dishes and stick their pencils, erasers, rulers, etc. in the utensils bucket.

I picked up a couple of old, cheap nightstands at a yard sale and put the dish racks on top of those. The nightstand drawer holds stuff like math sets, tape, flash cards, etc. and the bottom shelf holds stuff I plan to use during the next 6 months or year or recently completed stuff (oh, and the Big Box of Colours). It's all in our dining room.

I couldn't make a school room work so this is my mini school room. The only other thing I use are those fold out cardboard presentation thingees for science fairs. The kids each have one and they're just to create cubicles at the dining room table so they won't be distracted and so they have a space to hang reminders like vocab sheets or something so I can keep the walls clear.

I'm hopeless with organization so this makes it look somewhat organized, forces me to keep everything culled and compact and gives me what I need within reach of the table. Total cost was somewhere around $30 over the years for the racks and the used nightstands.

ETA: I started using the racks for picture books when my kids were small. I think I read about that idea on a preschool site or something. The kids could flip through the book without making a big mess.

101_1014.jpg

101_1013.jpg

Edited by WishboneDawn
style

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, especially the pictures. I've been wishing for those Staples Desk Apprentices but the cost so each kid could have one is just too high. I could afford dish racks! :001_smile:

I've been lusting after the Desk Apprentices too until I realized there's nothing they would do for me that my setup can't. I think the racks were about $5-10 each? Not sure.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, especially the pictures. I've been wishing for those Staples Desk Apprentices but the cost so each kid could have one is just too high. I could afford dish racks! :001_smile:

:iagree: I want the desk apprentice b/c it is portable and we have a tendency to school all over the place. This sounds like it will save me space and money!

I love the idea of the tri-fold boards as cubicles! That is brilliant!!!

I haven't taken them out for awhile but I think I'll have to soon. My 13 yr old is constantly getting excited by some bit of Latin or grammar and wanting to tell me about it right in the middle of my son's reading or spelling. :glare: The cubicle might take away that impulse. I'm thinking of adding in a notebook she can tuck into her binder to write down all the little things she wants to tell me during school time. We can look at it after.

Another thing I do that's been great for her is I give her my binder with the weekly schedule in it from Donna Young. She corrects all her work and then I have her figure out the percentage of right answers and record it in the slot for that subject on that day. Then she gets percentage practice and I get the marks recorded.

It's funny because I spent years looking for the perfect organizational solution but as soon as I stopped looking and just adjusted as I went things started falling into place. I'll have to do a blog post and record all the little things that make it easier.

This is too funny. You know it's a homeschooling board when people get excited over sticking books in a dish rack. :D

Do you have any idea how this will streamline my dining room cum school room? Seriously?

Too, too cool!

(oh, and also, I have a Desk Apprentice. I do love it. But it doesn't work for us for this purpose.)

Do you have any idea how this will streamline my dining room cum school room? Seriously?

Yes. :D

I started the system just so the school work wouldn't take over the dining room. In our last, tiny house it did take over the whole house. That was confusing and led to a lot of mess that never got cleaned up and a lot of school work that never got done.

I'm starting to think I should have come up with a clever name, written an ebook and charged $10 a pop. :D

Yes. :D

I started the system just so the school work wouldn't take over the dining room. In our last, tiny house it did take over the whole house. That was confusing and led to a lot of mess that never got cleaned up and a lot of school work that never got done.

I'm starting to think I should have come up with a clever name, written an ebook and charged $10 a pop. :D

It's not too late!

It's not too late!

Naw. I'd feel like a hypocrite. I'm a firm believer in open source ideas and freely sharing information. Besides' date=' I'd never actually get it done and ready for sale...and it's a [i']dish rack[/i].

The real payoff is coming here and having people tell me I'm a brilliant genius. :D

I'll have to blog about it and stick it in the homeschooling carnival tomorrow.

Edited by WishboneDawn

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, closing the doors is nice. Also note how conveniently located the booze is, for "those" days. :lol:

(one can also note how we are not much on cocktails by the weird, mismatched quality of the booze collection. ;) )

Really, your timing was excellent. We were in the midst of a huge declutter (the dining/school room being the worst of it) and as soon as you posted, I knew I had an answer.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Yes, closing the doors is nice. Also note how conveniently located the booze is, for "those" days. :lol:

(one can also note how we are not much on cocktails by the weird, mismatched quality of the booze collection. ;) )

Really, your timing was excellent. We were in the midst of a huge declutter (the dining/school room being the worst of it) and as soon as you posted, I knew I had an answer.

I was noticing the alcohol in the picture.... Mixing the drinks with lessons. I think my son would adore that... I might get more mellow as the day progressed...

The dish drainers look great.

For private learning spaces, I cut the presentation boards in half to make two shorter ones. Then I use binder clips to post stuff on them that the student needs inside the "cubicle."

I bought plastic dish racks today from the dollar store for $1.25 each. I plan to use them for my workboxes. The kids love work boxes but after we moved to this tiny house I didn't have room for a big system. Your idea of using the dish racks was brilliant. I bought big ziploc freezer bags, and will use those in the dish rack to be our workboxes. Such a cheap solution and even having 4 set up takes up very little room, and when we are not doing school I can just stack all the dish racks and tuck them away.

I bought plastic dish racks today from the dollar store for $1.25 each. I plan to use them for my workboxes. The kids love work boxes but after we moved to this tiny house I didn't have room for a big system. Your idea of using the dish racks was brilliant. I bought big ziploc freezer bags, and will use those in the dish rack to be our workboxes. Such a cheap solution and even having 4 set up takes up very little room, and when we are not doing school I can just stack all the dish racks and tuck them away.

I was thinking about doing this. Where will you put the workbox numbers?

Have you set it up yet and can post a picture?