Menu

Plastic wrap neophyte: which brand is least hassle

I have spent my adult life either without "Saran Wrap" or using Stretch-Tite in a huge roll from Costco. I am coming to the 5+ year end of my roll of Stretch-tite. I would like to get something smaller that might last me, say, 2 years, IF, and only if, some other brand is less tangly, bindy, fussy.

I don't care about cost (because I use so little). So, is there anything out there "nicer" than Stretch-Tite? Anything you are less likely to cut yourself on (exposed metal teeth)?

I thank you for your interest in my profound problem of the day.

I have gotten to the point where I only buy Saran Wrap for plastic wrap, Reynolds for aluminum foil, and Cut-Rite for wax paper. I've tried buying other brands and I've always ended up throwing away the partial roll because they can't seem to make the rolls where you can get them off the roller without tearing them to shreds.

I like Stretch-Tite. Did you have the big 3000ft box or the smaller ones? They have redesigned the smaller boxes and it is a smaller 2 pack now (750 feet each). I like it much better and it has the plastic slide-cutter on it, so I don't scratch myself on it.

The new rolls of plastic wrap have a sliding cutter thing with no exposed sharp edges. Agree with the PP, the better the brand, the better the product.

So, is Saran less likely to end up bunched in the middle as you pull it out than Stretch-Tite?

(I do know that when I flew to Paris, years back, a person I met on a food group trucked out to the airport to bring me a vegetarian feast AND several rolls of Saran Wrap for me to mule to Paris where her friend was meeting me. :))

Saran's Press n Seal is the only thing I buy anymore. It is pricey, but we don't use it a lot. I love that it sticks to ANYTHING including Styrofoam plates with leftover cake/cookies that can be sent home with visitors :) . It doesn't get all tangled upon itself like other wraps.

Saran's Press n Seal is the only thing I buy anymore. It is pricey, but we don't use it a lot. I love that it sticks to ANYTHING including Styrofoam plates with leftover cake/cookies that can be sent home with visitors :) . It doesn't get all tangled upon itself like other wraps.

I believe it is actually Glad Press n Seal; I just bought a roll today.

Mary

I always use the cheapest plastic wrap I can get. I think it is probably an acquired skill. I can use it with no problem. Dh can't. ;)

ETA:

Everything else takes some special plastic wrap gene that I apparently didn't get.

OR I have that special plastic wrap gene :D

Edited by gardening momma

I didn't know Stretch Tite came in giant rolls!!! I had a small roll of it. It's fantastic stuff, it actually sticks! I currentlyhave a giant box from a restaurant supply store (not stretch tite) that has exposed teeth and is taking over my kitchen. Anyway, try the 275 yd roll of Stretch Tite. It has a weird box though. It doesn't unroll like most other plastic wrap. You have been warned.

Hands down, my favorite is Press 'n Seal. I refuse to buy anything else. The guy who invented it is married to one of my favorite card designers as well. :)

I buy a pack with two large rolls from BJs. I hate regular plastic wrap -- it never clings to metal and many other things.

I love the Press n Seal. It's the only plastic wrap type thing I buy anymore.

My grandmother (nearly 90, mother to 9, and a person who dish washes ziploc bags on the top rack), on one of her two visits to my home 1000+ miles away, informed me that my Saran Wrap was not very good and that Sam's Club was the best... I eventually bought some (6+ years ago) and totally agree, although it sounds a lot like the Costco stuff. It is branded Bakers & Chefs, and comes in a two pack (500 sq. ft. each). It has the plastic slide mechanism, and I absolutely love it, makes plastic wrapping almost fun!

It also fits quite nicely in my drawers with all the others (freezer paper, aluminum foil, ziplocs, wax paper.....)