Menu

Another baby name thread

I feel like DH and I have been going in circles with regard to baby names. We seem to be unable to take any names off our list and unable to settle on something that we both love. Our baby isn't due until early November so I'm not panicking yet, but I don't want to be agonising over names at the last minute (although I probably still will ;)).

Here are some of the names we're considering:

Girls (the middle name is almost certainly going to be Emilie):

Annabelle

Brigitte

Charis

Caroline

Irene

Juliet

Laura

Leila

Martha

Theresa

Boys:

Andrew

Antoine

Christophe

Clement

Dominique

Francoise

Henri

Laurent

Martin

Patrick

Theo

William

Any names that you love or hate? Do you have other names to suggest?

I bolded my favorites and greyed out names that I don't care for.

Annabelle

Brigitte

Charis

Caroline

Irene

Juliet

Laura

Leila

Martha

Theresa

I think we have different tastes in boy names, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Boys:

Andrew

Antoine

Christophe

Clement

Dominique

Francoise

Henri

Laurent

Martin

Patrick

Theo

William

Annabelle

Brigitte

Charis

Caroline

Irene

Juliet

Laura

Leila

Martha

Theresa

Boys:

Andrew

Antoine

Christophe

Clement

Dominique

Francoise

Henri

Laurent

Martin

Patrick

Theo

William

I think William is a stellar middle name, but then, that could be because I gave it to my son! :D

I like: Caroline, Charis, Juliet, Laura, Leila. I think the first three sound the best with Emilie.

Nothing against Irene or Martha, but they sound dated here. Probably varies with region or culture, though.

Boys:

Andrew -- my favorite!

Of the boys names, I'd also pick Patrick or William. I know girls named Dominique, although I know it can be used for boys.

Congrats!!!

You know - sometimes you need to wait and meet the baby to know "who" she/he is.

I have friends who could not decide on a name for their baby girl - they used "Virginia" on the required government forms and changed it legally to Miranda when they "knew" who the baby was.

You have quite a few French names on the lists. Are you in a French speaking area? English speaking people are often not that great with pronouncing French names unless you don't mind if, for example *Henri* is called *Henry*.

Francoise still reminds me of the book "Bonjour Tristesse." :001_smile:

And I always liked Caroline.

Edited by Liz CA

Ah, are you really asking my opinion?? See notes in color.

I feel like DH and I have been going in circles with regard to baby names. We seem to be unable to take any names off our list and unable to settle on something that we both love. Our baby isn't due until early November so I'm not panicking yet, but I don't want to be agonising over names at the last minute (although I probably still will ;)).

Here are some of the names we're considering:

Annabelle way over done. very popular already here

Brigitte love this

Charis in our area this is the name of several Hispanic boys we know. Never heard it used for a girl. Love the way it sounds.

Caroline :)

Irene :)

Juliet Have a friend who named her child this. She would be rich for every person who asked where Romeo was at.

Laura This is my name, always a classic :)

Leila

Martha Like this. Name of a friend in HS, although she mostly went by Marti

Theresa

Boys: I like all the boy names.

Andrew

Antoine

Christophe

Clement

Dominique

Francoise

Henri

Laurent

Martin

Patrick

Theo

William

Annabelle

Brigitte

Charis (This is pronounced Care-iss, right?)

Caroline

Irene

Juliet (I prefer 'Juliette')

Laura (Have you considered Laurel?)

Leila

Martha

Theresa (What about Tessa? It's a form of Theresa.)

Boys:

Andrew

Antoine

Christophe

Clement

Dominique

Francoise

Henri

Laurent

Martin

Patrick

Theo

William

What about Julian for a boy? For a girl, I also like the names Lisette, Cora, Georgia...

Quinn and Harper are gender-neutral. They even go well together. Quinn Harper.

/

Thanks everyone!

Laura, such a beautiful name, especially when pronounced the Italian way, it has such a melody and charm to it. I love it.

Now I'm curious. :) How do pronounce Laura the Italian way?

You know - sometimes you need to wait and meet the baby to know "who" she/he is.

Yes, we won't make any final decisions until the baby is born.

You have quite a few French names on the lists. Are you in a French speaking area? English speaking people are often not that great with pronouncing French names unless you don't mind if, for example *Henri* is called *Henry*.

No, we're not in a French speaking are, but DH is francophone so French names have a lot of cultural significance for him. He would really like to give the baby a French first name (we've often gone for French middle names) and possibly an English middle name.

Have a friend who named her child this. She would be rich for every person who asked where Romeo was at.

This is the one big concern I have about Juliet. Darn you Shakespeare. :tongue_smilie:

(This is pronounced Care-iss, right?)

I pronounce it KA-riss.

What about Julian for a boy?

I love it, but I've already used that name. :)

How would you pronounce Brigette? I love that name no matter how it's prounounced, and think it would sound great with Emilie. :)

I also like Caroline with Emilie.

I agree about the spelling of Henri. About half the people who see it will say it the French way, and half the English way. I'd only spell it with the "i" if you intend to use the French pronunciation.

Cat

How would you pronounce Brigette? I love that name no matter how it's prounounced, and think it would sound great with Emilie. :) We would pronounce it Bree-ZHEET

I also like Caroline with Emilie.

I agree about the spelling of Henri. About half the people who see it will say it the French way, and half the English way. I'd only spell it with the "i" if you intend to use the French pronunciation. We would definitely use French pronunciation.

Cat

Annabelle

Brigitte

Charis

Caroline

Irene

Juliet

Laura

Leila

Martha

Theresa

Since you said the middle name is almost certainly to be Emilie, I thought I'd throw out something different: Laura Caroline. Laura Irene.

Boys:

Andrew

Antoine

Christophe

Clement

Dominique

Francoise

Henri

Laurent

Martin

Patrick

Theo

William

Not a huge fan of the French-sounding names, other than Henri. How about Patrick Henri? :lol: Anyway, I like Patrick Theo, Patrick William, Patrick Andrew, Theo William, Patrick Martin.

I also like the name Malcolm.

Annabelle

Brigitte

Charis

Caroline

Juliet

Boys:

Andrew

Henri

Patrick

William

These are my favorites. In fact I've used 3 out of 4 of those boy names and would have used 4 if it weren't for #4 being a girl. By the time our 4th boy was born a certain relative fell out of favor (huge, serious issue) and we did not give the name to our last son.

I think Laura Emilie sounds very beautiful together.

For a boy, I'm partial to Patrick (since I have one of my own :D Middle name: Rhys). I also really like William.

:iagree: This is my vote, too. My newest nephew is William Martin, which I see is also on your list.

For the girls names, I'm not too crazy about the flow of a 3-syllable first name with a 3-syllable middle name. Just doesn't quite flow for me.