Menu

Poll this time, how to spell Tadhgan (pronounced Tie-gun)

How to spell Tadhgan (tie-gun)  

1. 1. How to spell Tadhgan (tie-gun)

• Tadhgan...original is best even if no one will pronounce it right.
    • Tygan (does look weird when hand written, though, with the "yg" next to eachother)
    • Tyhgan
    • Tyghan (same issue as above, with "yg" next to eachother)
    • Taigan
    • other?

Thank you to those who answered my other thread, I was thinking it could be easier if I did a poll. This is an Irish name we've chosen for our baby, it is traditionally spelled Tadhgan (pronounced Tie-gun) but obviously no one will know how to pronounce it. I've gone over all of the other spellings and I'm not sure which looks best or would be right.

I voted Tadhgan. I love original spellings.

English phonics sometimes butcher the beauty of the name.

If you do decide to choose a spelling people will (mostly) pronounce correctly, I would spell it Tiegan. Tygan looks a bit strange to me, but with Taigan, people will most likely pronounce it TAY-gun, not TIE-gun.

English phonics sometimes butcher the beauty of the name. [

:iagree::iagree: Sinead and Siobhan and Sean too. But I live in a heavily Irish area so maybe I'm used to it. Did you know Caitlin is pronounced Kathleen in Irish? So Katelynn isn't even phonetic!

If you do decide to choose a spelling people will (mostly) pronounce correctly, I would spell it Tiegan. Tygan looks a bit strange to me, but with Taigan, people will most likely pronounce it TAY-gun, not TIE-gun.
Here I must differ. :) If you're going to go phonetic, Tygan. Tiegan looks like TEE-gun to me. A lot of the other "phonetic" spellings look just as goofy and random as the original, without the benefit of their making sense in the original language.

But I think no matter how you spell it, it's going to get mis-spelled and mis-pronounced, so you might as well stick with the original. :D:D

But I think no matter how you spell it, it's going to get mis-spelled and mis-pronounced, so you might as well stick with the original. :D:D

This is what I am finding. No matter how I spell it, there are ways for it to be mispronounced. Tiegan looks feminine and could be mispronounced Tee-gan. Tygan is closest but looks VERY odd when written out. Tyegan reminds me of "vegan" when it is written out. There's just no winning. At least if we spell it the original way, no one will have a CLUE so they will have to ask instead of making a guess, LOL.

Go with the original.

Why should you have to make accommodations, just because some one else might not understand the name?

I want to name my son Siôn, but dh thought that no one ever pronounce it correct.

Traditional names are dying out because people are coming up with creative ways to spell them. Why mess with a good name?

Go with the original. My dh has a Irish name, common one at that, No one can pronounce it. He's 50, it boggles my mind that it still get pronounced incorrectly.

I would also consider that people will want to call him Ty. I didn't see your original thread, but I see that as an obvious nickname.

Go with the original. My dh has a Irish name, common one at that, No one can pronounce it. He's 50, it boggles my mind that it still get pronounced incorrectly.

I would also consider that people will want to call him Ty. I didn't see your original thread, but I see that as an obvious nickname.

Oh my goodness......am I the only one who thought all along that this was a girl??? :blushing: It wasn't until 14 responses that I find out it's a boy (or is it)? :lol: I like the name. Never heard of it....which is cool. I think it would be a cool name for a girl too (although, I'd probably prefer Teegan as a name.....who knows, maybe that's a boys name too). Just so you know.....the name doesn't sound girly or anything....for some reason I just assumed girl...and I really don't know why. Sorry. It's a great name.....when is the little nipper due?

ETA: I see it's August. I answered my own question. I really need a nap!!

I voted for the original spelling, and just be prepared to make lots of explanations. My husband picked out a Scottish name for our fourth that I really wasn't keen on at first because I foresaw people having trouble spelling/pronouncing it. And lots of people have mangled it, but we correct them cordially and move on. Now I love his name, and it fits him perfectly, especially since his baby-fine blond hair started falling out and new hair came in flaming orange around his first birthday.

I think you should just go all out, so I voted traditional. When saying it, you would have to spell it anyway.

We have a church member with Ceilidh....I think. It's pronounced Kaleigh. People always have to ask how to pronounce it, but their reaction is always charmed that it's the Irish spelling.

I like the original spelling. He'll likely be asked to pronounce or spell it no matter how it's spelled, so I'd just stick with the original spelling since I like the way it looks.

I'd spell Augustin without the "e" too, since we're talking spelling, so that people don't make it "August-een".

I like Tadhgan Augustin. Great name. :) Is Augustin(e) the middle name for sure?

Cat

English phonics sometimes butcher the beauty of the name.

:iagree: I went to school with a boy whose last name was spelled Tiegan pronounced the way you describe.

I'm more in favor of Anglicized spellings. I just have a personal preference for names that can be understood by most English-speaking people. I had this dilemma once when we planned to name a child "Reece." The original Welsh spelling will not be understood by most people - Rhys. It's nice that it's more authentic, but I didn't want to have to constantly spell, pronounce and explain it. (I had a girl anyway, so it never mattered in the end.)

Now I love his name, and it fits him perfectly, especially since his baby-fine blond hair started falling out and new hair came in flaming orange around his first birthday.

How neat!! :) We're really hoping this little one (Tadhgan/Tygan/Tyghan/Tiegan? LOL) will have red hair. Dh has red hair on his side of the family.

We have a church member with Ceilidh....I think. It's pronounced Kaleigh. People always have to ask how to pronounce it, but their reaction is always charmed that it's the Irish spelling.

That's really great. I have found most people that we've shared the traditional name with think it's a really great name. Family is VERY opposed to it and has even made fun of it :( but I think it's because they're concerned with the pronunciation issue (as am I, obviously).

I like Tadhgan Augustin. Great name. :) Is Augustin(e) the middle name for sure?

Cat

Thank you! :) Yes I'm pretty set on Augustin but still going back and forth a bit. I also really like Miles and was also thinking of making his middle name being with a "J" so if he's too stressed over his name being too weird he can always go by "TJ" (although that would seriously bum me out! :lol:)

My suggestion would be to ask on a more mainstream board. Those are the people your son will be dealing with for the rest of his life. ;)

Ha! I did ask on a more trendy, specifically "naming" board and "Tygan" was the first vote, with "Tadhgan" being a close second.

I'm more in favor of Anglicized spellings. I just have a personal preference for names that can be understood by most English-speaking people. I had this dilemma once when we planned to name a child "Reece." The original Welsh spelling will not be understood by most people - Rhys. It's nice that it's more authentic, but I didn't want to have to constantly spell, pronounce and explain it. (I had a girl anyway, so it never mattered in the end.)

I agree. My name is "Tanya" (pronounced TAN - yuh) and I've found it a great big headache to have to continually correct the spellling (Tonya? Tanja? Tania?) and pronunciation of my name. And it didn't end when I finished school, either. Professionally, it's been a headache, too.

I chose more unusual names for my children, too, but I deliberately chose names that would be easy to spell and pronounce. JMHO.

My suggestion would be to ask on a more mainstream board. Those are the people your son will be dealing with for the rest of his life. ;)

I agree. Remember, for a few years, you'll be the one telling people how to pronounce it. For the rest of his life, he will. You may not mind... but he might. I'd go with a spelling that gives him a better chance of having it pronounced correctly.

• 1 year later...

I like the original, but yeah....

How about Taighan? It preserves the original gh combo, but gives the visual clue how to pronounce the first syllable.

Never mind, see now that it's old [why do people DOOOO that?!]. What did you decide, OP?!

Edited by Mama_Rana
fixing html, I hope

That spelling make the most sense, but I don't think it's so pretty. What about Tyegun?

I think if you want it pronounced correctly, this would be your best bet. Spelling it the traditional way will confuse everyone your son ever comes in contact with as it looks NOTHING like how it is said.

ETA: Argh!!! Suckered into a zombie thread. At least I didn't answer it the first time.

:lol:

Yep, my little one is now 13 months old so the deed is done. No going back now. :D We went with Tadhgan because dh felt strongly about keeping the original spelling. It's something I still struggle with wondering if we made the right choice on, but like others said people will misspell and mispronounce every name so it is what it is. :001_smile:

What did you decide, OP?!