Menu

Tell me about your favorite exercise videos

I do some outdoor exercise which I really enjoy, such as bike rides with my daughter, and walks in the park across the street from her TKD school while she's in class. I love this, and I know it's good for me, but I know I also need to incorporate some strength training and some more intensity, because this is just cardio and is very mild/light.

I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, and I really like it. I like that I can tell myself that it will be over in 20 minutes, and that therefore I really CAN do it! :D

One thing I don't like, though, is mat work. The amount in the Shred video is fine, but I wouldn't want any more than that. Laying on a mat to do ab work really starts to strain and hurt my neck. No pilates. I hate it. I would be very interested in a video of standing core work - maybe something ballet based?

And any other good all-around strength or strength/cardio combined workouts would be great.

What are your favorites? :bigear:

I don't think the fit will meet your needs, it's fun, but not what you're looking for.

I do Slim in 6, it is part of the beach body series. It has mostly cardio in the first level and increases the strength in the 2nd and 3rd levels. There is mat work though, so again, not something that you would probably be interested in. Good luck in your search though. :001_smile:

I am a HUGE fan of workout DVDs.

For a fun cardio/strength workout, I adore Karen Voight's Strong & Streamline combo. There are several different workouts on there, and it's very customizable. There's mat work too, a nice section on abs & yoga, but those are not included in the main workouts and so are easy to skip if that's not your thing. She also has a ballet workout.

As for more intense cardio & strength, it's hard to beat anything by BeachBody. I did 30 Day Shred in January, then moved on to ChaLean Extreme (same trainer who does Turbo Jam etc). What a fun and great program! It's 90 days, and MAN did I build strength and shed pounds on it. I thoroughly enjoyed it; she has fun and is upbeat without being annoying. I felt like it was the perfect next step for me after finishing Shred.

Hope you find one that works for you. Have fun!

I don't think the fit will meet your needs, it's fun, but not what you're looking for.

This is good to know, because that's a considerable chunk of change that I wouldn't want to waste. Thanks!

I do Slim in 6, it is part of the beach body series. It has mostly cardio in the first level and increases the strength in the 2nd and 3rd levels. There is mat work though, so again, not something that you would probably be interested in. Good luck in your search though. :001_smile:

I don't mind a little mat work, I just don't want that to be the focus. About five or maybe ten minutes is all I can take without pain, both during and for days afterward. Do you think it's more than that?

I am a HUGE fan of workout DVDs.

For a fun cardio/strength workout, I adore Karen Voight's Strong & Streamline combo. There are several different workouts on there, and it's very customizable. There's mat work too, a nice section on abs & yoga, but those are not included in the main workouts and so are easy to skip if that's not your thing. She also has a ballet workout.

As for more intense cardio & strength, it's hard to beat anything by BeachBody. I did 30 Day Shred in January, then moved on to ChaLean Extreme (same trainer who does Turbo Jam etc). What a fun and great program! It's 90 days, and MAN did I build strength and shed pounds on it. I thoroughly enjoyed it; she has fun and is upbeat without being annoying. I felt like it was the perfect next step for me after finishing Shred.

Hope you find one that works for you. Have fun!

These sound great! Thanks so much for your help! :001_smile:

Try Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. It's similar to 30DS, except there are *4* levels, and there's not as much mat work. Her No More Trouble Zones (resistance focused) and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (cardio focused) are also really great, and the BFBM one has hardly any mat work at all (but also no weights). They're 40 minute workouts though, if that's an issue.

I love the BeachBody workouts, too! Right now, I'm doing "TurboFire" and "Brazil Butt Lift". Love them both. High energy and lots of fun!

http://www.beachbody.com/

For a ballet workout, get the "New York City Ballet Workout". My ballerina daughter uses it often. There is a floor barre in it, so that is quite a bit of mat work, but it's ballet. Great for stretching.

Try Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. It's similar to 30DS, except there are *4* levels, and there's not as much mat work. Her No More Trouble Zones (resistance focused) and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (cardio focused) are also really great, and the BFBM one has hardly any mat work at all (but also no weights). They're 40 minute workouts though, if that's an issue.

Thanks! I'll check these out. Forty minutes I can handle. Anything an hour or longer, though, seems too daunting and too time consuming. I have a really great Ashtanga yoga dvd that I never do, because it's an hour and a half!

Check out Jackie Warner Xtreme timesaver DVD. Similar intensity to Jillian but I like Jackie better. She has other workouts too.

If you want core and arms you should try this: (click on the video clip)

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Forza-Samurai-Sword-Workout-DVD-Ilaria-Montagnan-p/1040.htm

She is awesome and so are her workouts! My arms were like jello after this and my abs kicked in the next day. It seems easy from the video clip, but just try it!

The site I linked is great because you can see good clips of all the workouts and she has free shipping over $19.... she has some ballet type ones too on her site.

I love the BeachBody workouts, too! Right now, I'm doing "TurboFire" and "Brazil Butt Lift". Love them both. High energy and lots of fun!

http://www.beachbody.com/

For a ballet workout, get the "New York City Ballet Workout". My ballerina daughter uses it often. There is a floor barre in it, so that is quite a bit of mat work, but it's ballet. Great for stretching.

Hubby said he read some very positive reviews of the Beach Body workouts, so I can probably talk him into buying those for me. :D. Thanks!

Check out Jackie Warner Xtreme timesaver DVD. Similar intensity to Jillian but I like Jackie better. She has other workouts too.

:iagree: I did this one just last night, and to my recollection, there's only one exercise where you're actually on your back (chest fly/hip raise). Very intense, but under half an hour.

If you want core and arms you should try this: (click on the video clip)

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Forza-Samurai-Sword-Workout-DVD-Ilaria-Montagnan-p/1040.htm

She is awesome and so are her workouts! My arms were like jello after this and my abs kicked in the next day. It seems easy from the video clip, but just try it!

The site I linked is great because you can see good clips of all the workouts and she has free shipping over $19.... she has some ballet type ones too on her site.

:iagree: I did this one just last night, and to my recollection, there's only one exercise where you're actually on your back (chest fly/hip raise). Very intense, but under half an hour.

Cool, thanks ladies! :001_smile:

I do some outdoor exercise which I really enjoy, such as bike rides with my daughter, and walks in the park across the street from her TKD school while she's in class. I love this, and I know it's good for me, but I know I also need to incorporate some strength training and some more intensity, because this is just cardio and is very mild/light.

I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, and I really like it. I like that I can tell myself that it will be over in 20 minutes, and that therefore I really CAN do it! :D

One thing I don't like, though, is mat work. The amount in the Shred video is fine, but I wouldn't want any more than that. Laying on a mat to do ab work really starts to strain and hurt my neck. No pilates. I hate it. I would be very interested in a video of standing core work - maybe something ballet based?

And any other good all-around strength or strength/cardio combined workouts would be great.

What are your favorites? :bigear:

How much do you want to do? Do you have a particular goal in mind? Do you have a time limit?

How much do you want to do?

Umm . . . can I admit "as little as possible"? :lol:

Do you have a particular goal in mind?

Yes, but it's not something as easily defined as number of pounds I would like to lose. I'm happy with my weight. I watch what I eat, and that's enough to keep my weight right where it needs to be. I've always tended toward slender anyway; I have a thin frame. But I'm weak. I'm terribly out of shape. I'm now in my late 30's, and so things are starting to go south even though my weight is staying the same. I want to firm up. I want to stop having back pain and shoulder cramps. I want to be fit so that I can extend my lifespan and my healthspan (ability to function) for as long as possible. I want to go to Fiji or Tahiti and have a blast swimming, snorkeling, and bumming on the beach, not worrying about how horrific my sagging belly and butt look in a swimsuit. That sort of thing.

Do you have a time limit?

Can I accomplish that in an hour or less each day? That's what I would prefer. I want to exercise to live, but I don't want to spend my life exercising, kwim?

Umm . . . can I admit "as little as possible"? :lol:

Yes, but it's not something as easily defined as number of pounds I would like to lose. I'm happy with my weight. I watch what I eat, and that's enough to keep my weight right where it needs to be. I've always tended toward slender anyway; I have a thin frame. But I'm weak. I'm terribly out of shape. I'm now in my late 30's, and so things are starting to go south even though my weight is staying the same. I want to firm up. I want to stop having back pain and shoulder cramps. I want to be fit so that I can extend my lifespan and my healthspan (ability to function) for as long as possible. I want to go to Fiji or Tahiti and have a blast swimming, snorkeling, and bumming on the beach, not worrying about how horrific my sagging belly and butt look in a swimsuit. That sort of thing.

Can I accomplish that in an hour or less each day? That's what I would prefer. I want to exercise to live, but I don't want to spend my life exercising, kwim?

Well, then I second Classical Country Mama's suggestion. It should fit within your parameters. :001_smile:

• 4 months later...

Two questions:

1. Can one use a chair for this, or do I have to install a barre?

2. Is this workout okay for those who are not extremely coordinated? Is it very dance-y or more stretching?

Thank you so much. :)

I run, but I do own some exercise videos. I mostly have yoga videos, but it sounds like you wouldn't like that. I also have 2 kettlebell videos. I enjoy kettlebells a lot. I bought my bell at Target but got the videos on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Conditioning-Kettlebells-Lauren-Brooks/dp/B001PO7J9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319371345&sr=8-1

and number 2

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Conditioning-Kettlebells-Lauren-Brooks/dp/B0031AM7FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319371345&sr=8-2

I like Vol 2 the best because it is broken up into short segments. You can do 1, 2 or 3 segments if you want. 2 are 20 mins, 1 is 13 minutes and then there is a short 7 minute.

Vol 1 has a 12 min fat blaster which is great. The main workout is 40 minutes. It's a beginner for kettlebell, but it's still tough. The videos are nice in that they include a section on how to do each exercise. The instruction stresses proper hold and alignment.

Happy working out!

Well, though it is a resurrected thread, I'm gonna answer.

You simply cannot go wrong with BeachBody videos. You can easily find one that fits your style interests. For example, Hip Hop Abs is all ab work AND standing! But then you have to figure if you want something with a faster dance. I like more "manly" programs like Power 90 (which you can probably skip after the Shred) and P90X. The good thing about Power90 is that the ONLY part on the floor is the AbRipper which you do three times per week and is quite short. Most of the P90X isn't on the floor either but I know one of the videos is more floor-ish. I don't remember which but with so many videos, you could easily alter that issue.

But maybe some of the others would be a better fit. At the website, there is a chart so you can more easily judge each program with your interest level. Additionally, their are clips AND a message board. Even more reason why you just can't go wrong with Beach Body :)

Well, though it is a resurrected thread, I'm gonna answer.

You simply cannot go wrong with BeachBody videos. You can easily find one that fits your style interests. For example, Hip Hop Abs is all ab work AND standing! But then you have to figure if you want something with a faster dance. I like more "manly" programs like Power 90 (which you can probably skip after the Shred) and P90X. The good thing about Power90 is that the ONLY part on the floor is the AbRipper which you do three times per week and is quite short. Most of the P90X isn't on the floor either but I know one of the videos is more floor-ish. I don't remember which but with so many videos, you could easily alter that issue.

But maybe some of the others would be a better fit. At the website, there is a chart so you can more easily judge each program with your interest level. Additionally, their are clips AND a message board. Even more reason why you just can't go wrong with Beach Body :)

I also see that this thread is old. I agree with Power 90. It's kind of like the get fit to do P90X.

The other thing that could be considered is exercise on a ball. My back and neck start to fatigue quickly, so I added more neck and back work. I have a routine guided by my physical therapist that includes a ton of stretching and some strength exercises.

I have a wii, too, and have used the wii fit plus but ExerBeat http://www.amazon.com/ExerBeat-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B004M4IO08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319397012&sr=8-1

was recommended on these boards and I LOVE it. I still use the wii fit plus to time my jogging-in-place every other day, but mostly use ExerBeat. I have "opened" up to 25-minute routines in salsa and samba and am almost there in boxercising. I am ending up with almost one hour of actual work-out time each day, and am down 15 lbs since school started up (more veggies and no desserts help, too ;) ) I like that there are so many different things to do with ExerBeat - wii fit plus was getting booooring.

I'm glad that the thread got resurrected! :001_smile: It's great to read the additional suggestions. I've actually been doing mostly outdoor stuff (walking, hiking, biking) but now that winter is approaching, I plan to make more use of exercise videos. So thanks for bringing this up again!

Two questions:

2. Is this workout okay for those who are not extremely coordinated? Is it very dance-y or more stretching?

I'm sorry, I can't answer these questions about the New York City Ballet video(s), but I wanted to mention that I've heard some positive reviews of some other ballet workouts as well. Ballet Body has downloadable workouts, and the periodization system in particular is, I've heard, really great. Haven't tried that yet, though -- I've only done the free 10-minute workout, but it was a very effective ten minutes! I'm going to buy periodization once we get Apple TV, and I can watch the downloads on my big tv in the living room where I actually have room to workout. Also, based on reviews and recommendations, I ordered the first video from The Bar Method. I'm not sure about the later videos/workouts with either of these, but with the beginner ones at least, my understanding is that you only need a chair to help you balance, you don't need an actual barre.

I read tons of reviews of ballet-based workouts, and these two seemed to be the best for beginners with no dance experience. They allegedly really do a good job of teaching you proper form. I got my Bar Method DVD in the mail on Saturday and plan to do it tomorrow. So I can tell you a bit more then if you're interested.

Also, if you find you really like these workouts, apparently you can buy a "portable barre" rather than installing one in your home. That was good news for me since I have no place to install one! I'm hoping Santa might bring me a portable barre for Christmas this year. :D BTW, there are nicer (and more expensive) ones than the one I just linked. Just google and you'll find tons of them.

Ballet Body has downloadable workouts, and the periodization system in particular is, I've heard, really great. Also, based on reviews and recommendations, I ordered the first video from The Bar Method.

Thank you so much for all your helpful links and info. Off to go looking now.

Yes, once you have tried out the Bar Method DVD, please do share your thoughts on it.

Thank you again. :)

That looks good JFS!

I think for me is that after awhile, I need some variety. I think I'm going to make a list and put it in the entertainment center. Then I can just pick SOMETHING rather than not doing anything at all. We have so many things for the wii, videos, etc. And now I bought one more today. Just DO SOMETHING!

That looks good JFS!

I think for me is that after awhile, I need some variety. I think I'm going to make a list and put it in the entertainment center. Then I can just pick SOMETHING rather than not doing anything at all. We have so many things for the wii, videos, etc. And now I bought one more today. Just DO SOMETHING!

I hear you on needing the variety! I am alternating leg/arm work by using the 20-min run with wii fit and then popping in ExerBeat for boxercising (it uses different arms moves than the dancercise or aerobic stuff on the ExerBeat) which really works my legs (all that boxing stance bouncing up and down!) for leg day - just using a variety of dancersize etc. Exerbeat stuff alone on arm day - after one of the 25-minute samba routines my arms are sore! Samba, salsa - they really just have you do the same steps over and over - it is the arm work that is the emphasis.

I also bought the Gold's Gym Dance Workout for wii and will work it in when ExerBeat gets boring.

I also still have all my free weights (the the book Strong Women Stay Young, Slim, whatever) and need to remember to use them too. ExerBeat gets my heart pounding and I sweat like a pig, but it is not strength conditioning. Just calorie burning.

Oh - and I see on Amazon that there is an ABBA dance thing coming out for wii soon!!!!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

I have been doing 3t totally tubular for strength lately it's a Turbo Jam video. I really like those. I also have 30 Day Shred but haven't used it yet. I enjoy some of the Walk Away the Pounds. She incorporates some strength as well. I go through spurts, but I've been trying to work out 5-6 days a week right now, have been for about two weeks.

I love Chalene Johnson DVDS from Beach body

I have done Turbo Jam (beginner/intermediate) and currently doing a hybrid of Chalene Extreme ( heavy weights/intermediate cardio) and Turbo Fire (advance cardio)

I am seriously in better shape at 41 than any other time.

I have done 30 day Shred and other stuff by Jillian several years ago and you will get results but her personality just gets on my nerves and cause of the dislike of her I just couldn't stick with it.

I love the music of turbo jam and turbo fire it keeps me motivated

Yes, once you have tried out the Bar Method DVD, please do share your thoughts on it.

Well, I finally got around to doing it today! I really enjoyed it, and I think it's a great workout. It's not at all dancey (is that a word?), which is good for me since I couldn't dance to save my life. It's just a good whole-body workout that happens to use the ballet bar for the leg work.

The pattern that it follows is that you work a muscle to exhaustion, and then you stretch it. They say this will give you long, lean muscles. I have no idea if that's true, but I do know that I liked that pattern, it just feels very right. But since the entire workout is interspersed with stretching sequences, it doesn't get your heart rate up very high. I would definitely put this in the category of "toning" and not "cardio". (Which is great for me, because that's what I wanted!)

The first part works the upper body, using hand-weights.

The second part works the lower body, using the bar. But you can very easily substitute a chair. This was my favorite part of the workout because it was something new for me. You're doing these relatively small, very controlled movements, but by the end your muscles are shaking!

The final part is mat work. Normally I detest abdominal mat work because of the way it hurts my neck and shoulders, but this was different. It wasn't so bad. You're a bit more upright and more supported with your shoulders, so I guess that's why. There's also a good glute exercise in this segment.

Then there's a final stretching sequence.

Overall, it was really good. I think I will plan to do it three days a week, do cardio three days a week, and have one rest day. Then once I get bored with it, I'll either try one of their more advanced workouts or get Periodization from Ballet Body.

Ballet Body has downloadable workouts, and the periodization system in particular is, I've heard, really great.

Greta, thanks for this link. I wanted the periodization system, but downloading them doesn't work well on my PC. I think she might be coming out with new DVDs. She has two - but they seem more yoga-ish to me. I already have lots of yoga DVDs.

I assume you got either the Beginner's one or Change Your Body. I've ordered the latter, simply because it's longer, and according to redsquirrel, you get more bang for your buck.

Well, I finally got around to doing it today! I really enjoyed it, and I think it's a great workout.

Thank you so much for your very helpful and detailed review. I really do appreciate you taking the time to share :).

Nope, I can't dance either. ;)

I would definitely put this in the category of "toning" and not "cardio". (Which is great for me, because that's what I wanted!)

Me too. I have enough cardio.

You're doing these relatively small, very controlled movements, but by the end your muscles are shaking!

Love this. :)

I think I will plan to do it three days a week, do cardio three days a week, and have one rest day. Then once I get bored with it, I'll either try one of their more advanced workouts or get Periodization from Ballet Body.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm working on a very similar plan. I'm fully consumed and obsessed with workout plans these days and ballet-based workouts are taking a huge chunk of my brain. Not complaining. Loving it. :D I'm looking forward to receiving my DVDs in a few weeks.

Thank you again for all your kind help. :grouphug:

I can't let a post on home workout DVDs go by without mentioning Cathe! Not only does she have the most awesome workouts of every sort but she is also the nicest person. She has a wonderful forum on her site where she will answer questions etc. Her workouts range from intermediate level up to the most advanced you can get. Here is her site:

http://cathe.com/

Two questions:

I have done that workout. I have over 9 years of ballet experience, and I found the movie hard to use and extremely difficult. It's been years since I tried, though.

I have Ballet Conditioning and it's great...but 51 minutes long. I have limited time, so it's just not getting done.

I have done that workout. I have over 9 years of ballet experience, and I found the movie hard to use and extremely difficult. It's been years since I tried, though.

Very helpful to know. Thank you.

Saw a clip with dh this morning. Never mind the funny comments from dh :lol:, I realized that it's way out of reach for clumsy me. ;)

I have Ballet Conditioning and it's great...but 51 minutes long. I have limited time, so it's just not getting done.

Good to know. I ordered this one a week or so ago. :D

I hear you about the limited time. Very, very hard ... :glare:

I assume you got either the Beginner's one or Change Your Body. I've ordered the latter, simply because it's longer, and according to redsquirrel, you get more bang for your buck.

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear! My review was for the Beginner's workout. Please let me know what you think of Change Your Body, because I might order that one too! I'd especially like to know if I could still get away with using a chair, or if you really need the barre for that one. Are the Super Sculpting workouts more advanced than either of these?

Sounds like a great plan. I'm working on a very similar plan. I'm fully consumed and obsessed with workout plans these days and ballet-based workouts are taking a huge chunk of my brain. Not complaining. Loving it. :D I'm looking forward to receiving my DVDs in a few weeks.

I'm fully obsessed with low-carb eating right now, and I'm adding a fitness obsession too. :D My husband has been trying to get me obsessed with fitness for years. And I've been trying to get him into low-carb for years! I'm listening to Jimmy Moore's podcasts, and reading Gary Taubes, and sharing all the fascinating things I'm learning with my husband on a daily basis. I'm sure he's sick of it! But he's such a good husband that he's at least pretending to be interested. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear that the download workouts won't work for you. I'm getting really excited about that, because I think it will drastically reduce the boredom factor. You can subscribe for $15 per month, and that gets you a new workout every week, plus a discount on the other downloads. My biggest problem with workout videos is that I grow bored and irritated with hearing the instructor say the exact same comments, instructions, etc. over and over and over again. So I think Ballet Body periodization will be much better in that regard, because there are so many different workouts that you are integrating into your routine.

I'm glad to have someone to share the obsession with! :lol: Please keep me posted on how things go for you! :grouphug:

Greta, thanks so much again. :grouphug:

Please let me know what you think of Change Your Body, because I might order that one too! I'd especially like to know if I could still get away with using a chair, or if you really need the barre for that one.

I will. It will be a few weeks before I receive it, but I'll let you know. I'm quite sure that a chair is fine. That's what it says on their site.

Are the Super Sculpting workouts more advanced than either of these?

Not sure.

I wish I had them all :D - other than the pregnancy one, of course ;).

reading Gary Taubes, and sharing all the fascinating things I'm learning with my husband on a daily basis. I'm sure he's sick of it! But he's such a good husband that he's at least pretending to be interested.

I really want to read some Gary Taubes also. One of his books has been on my wish list for the longest while. I just haven't been very good at reading non-fiction lately.

Low-carb is something I need to do more consistently.

I smiled at you sharing with your dh. :D My dh often teases me with my obsessions and fixations. I remind him jokingly that he has them also. Then his response was, "Honey, get all the DVDs you want." :) Of course, if I really and truly get them ALL, particularly at once, I end up feeling guilty ... :tongue_smilie:

My biggest problem with workout videos is that I grow bored and irritated with hearing the instructor say the exact same comments, instructions, etc. over and over and over again.

Me too. It can get quite monotonous and annoying. Has happened to me with all my Leslie Sansone DVDs through the years. I need variety.

Since I plan on doing ballet-based workouts 3-5 times a week, I will need variety. Still wish the periodization system would work for us.

Thanks again for everything. In a few weeks' time (probably more like a month), I will let you know my thoughts on the DVDs that I've ordered. :)

An OLD one (2004 or so) but a good one is Kathy Kaelher basics---Total Fitness Workout. It has 7 5 minute segments and you can do them all or just some of them, in any order, etc. She isn't as annoying as some and there is a lot of variety here as you focus on different areas for 5 minutes each. You can find it on ebay/Amazon.

I'm still liking my Tracy Anderson. ;)

I'll have to check out these ballet dvds. The Ballet Body workouts look great. I want to subscribe now. I need to ask DH how to hook the computer to my TV.

I'm the same way with obsessions. I am addicted to working out now.

I started a work out thread so we can post things there too. Helps feed the obsession.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

An OLD one (2004 or so) but a good one is Kathy Kaelher basics---Total Fitness Workout. It has 7 5 minute segments and you can do them all or just some of them, in any order, etc. She isn't as annoying as some and there is a lot of variety here as you focus on different areas for 5 minutes each. You can find it on ebay/Amazon.

Thanks. I liked her when I used to watch The Today Show religiously every single morning.

I'm the same way with obsessions. I am addicted to working out now.

I started a work out thread so we can post things there too. Helps feed the obsession.

:D Love it. A girl after my own heart. :grouphug: I don't have time to workout as much as I would like or used to, but I'm happy to get what I can. Thank you for starting the daily thread. I won't always be able to post, since, as you can see, I'm an early morning person and may be a day late with posting. Better late than never. :D