Menu

Small volunteer thank you gifts

I was thinking of having magnets printed with a cute design, a quote about volunteering and "thank you from X" (x=our unit name) across the top. Do you think this is a good idea?

What other relatively inexpensive ideas (shooting for less than $2 each, there are a lot of volunteers) do you have?

What volunteer appreciation gifts have you liked?

I've been given lots of things like plastic grapes with a "thanks a bunch," note attached, but I'd rather give something that is actually somewhat functional, kwim?

Food is a good idea. I could put some sort of saying on food items.

We are probably talking around 100 volunteers and this is out of pocket, so things like gift cards would have to be reserved for those really outstanding volunteers. :)

eta: I wouldn't do knick knacks, but I have magnets and other stuff from volunteer appreciation things that I've had for years. For example, I have one of these that says "volunteers are a work of heart."

I have a book of these. Here's a few. You can substitute various words...volunteers, helpers, leaders, you, etc...

Nestle Crunch bars..."We would be in a CRUNCH without you!"

Starburst candy..."You are a STAR volunteer!"

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups..."Our CUP runneth over with great volunteers like you!"

Payday candy bar..."What a PAYDAY you'll have in heaven for all your great work on earth!"

Whoppers..."You are a WHOPPING good part of our team!"

Twix candy bars..."TWIX me and you, our volunteers are fantastic!"

Animal cookies..."This place would be a ZOO without our terrific volunteers!"

Chips Ahoy cookies..."AHOY there, volunteer! We are thankful for you!"

vanilla wafer cookies..."Just a WA-FER us to thank you!"

A magnet would be OK.

Several times I've gotten a nicer imprinted pen which is both useful and memorable for a time, and another time they gave out imprinted stadium cups (also useful even if they end up out in the garden).

Some time back I purged the coffee cups. Somehow I had way too many, some with promotional stuff that I had no interest in.

Food is always good, even if it is something that I don't eat myself. With teenagers in the house, food is always good :).

The ones I've gotten:

roll of Lifesavers - thanks, you've been a real Lifesaver

bag of nuts - we're nuts about you--thanks for helping out

I looooove gardening momma's ideas. They'll come in handy next year when dh asks what he should give his Awana helpers.

I looooove gardening momma's ideas. They'll come in handy next year when dh asks what he should give his Awana helpers.

I recommend the book Treat 'Em Right! Tasty ideas for encouraging volunteers by Susan Cutshall. It's where I got the ideas in my earlier post. It has pages that you can copy, with interesting fonts and little pictures or squiggly lines. I will probably make my own with the sayings in the book, with fonts and clip art I prefer, maybe occasionally changing the wording--sometimes it says volunteers, children's ministry team, etc and I can put more accurate words in if I do it myself.

We have done chocolate bars with custom wrappers (you can find templates online and print them off yourself then replace the wrappers on hershey bars (we bought bulk at Costco).

If you have a bit more money you could call local chocolatiers and ask about favor options. We have done little printed boxes of truffles (they are usually $4-5 a box).

You could also try to get a donation from a candy or chocolate chop if it is for people volunteering for a 501©(3) (so the company can get a tax write off).

Don't know if anyone mentioned this one (and don't feel like reading back through the thread):

Small bottle or tube of hand lotion, 2 hands cut from paper (trace a hand--adult or kid size, which ever fits the purpose best), put a note on one hand that says something like..."Thank you for lending a hand"... or ... "Thanks for your helping hands" etc... Tape a hand to each side of the bottle.

Just saw another one online: Attach a note to a bottle of lotion that says, "Thanks for a smooth year."

I like the chocolate ideas myself, even though I can no longer eat regular chocolate myself.

You might be able to find some kind of European chocolate cheap at the Commissary, if it's a mostly non-military crowd, they'll be impressed. (If it's for military folks, I wouldn't bother, just go with one of the aforementioned things.)

You could also cheaply buy a variety of small individually wrapped chocolates and divide them up and wrap them in bunches in colored saran wrap and tie with a ribbon.

So, first volunteer luncheon is today. I went with the hand lotion idea, I made pretty labels that say "thanks for the helping hand!." I really like the idea of practical gifts. I have a lot more of these to get through over the next 2 years or so, I know I'm going to use more of these ideas.

Thank you to everyone, I will be referring back to these posts!

So, first volunteer luncheon is today. I went with the hand lotion idea, I made pretty labels that say "thanks for the helping hand!." I really like the idea of practical gifts. I have a lot more of these to get through over the next 2 years or so, I know I'm going to use more of these ideas.

Thank you to everyone, I will be referring back to these posts!

You could do this with little bottles of hand sanitizer, too. You can often get really good deals on these at Bath and Body Works quite often.

You could do this with little bottles of hand sanitizer, too. You can often get really good deals on these at Bath and Body Works quite often.

That is a *great* idea! I love the little holders they have for those, they are so colorful. Thanks!

Seriously, if anyone else has any ideas, keep them coming! I will more ideas for future use! :D