Menu

Would you take out a coat closet to make a bigger master shower?

We are currently remodeling our master bath. It is tiny. 4 ft by 6ft not including the shower. The shower is also small (although I don't know the measurements). When we first moved in, I was always hitting my head on the knobs before I figured out how to wash off in a tiny space. The shower is located directly behind our coat closet. It is a small closet, but would allow us to expand the shower back a little and make it a more normal size.

I have mixed feelings on taking out this closet. DH is gung-ho to do it, so I am the one standing in the way. We keep everyones' shoes in the closet and coats. There is a second closet further down a hall, but it is currently storing luggage, wedding dress, DH's suit and those sorts of things. I could move the shoes/coats to this closet, but it would definitely mean a juggling act to figure where to put things. And, we wouldn't be able to take the shoes off at the door and stick them straight in a closet. (I do NOT like shoes in the house.)

All around, this is an older home with very little closet space. Very little. And, there isn't much other good space anywhere to add a closet.

So, would you do it? Would you lessen valuable closet space to get a decent size shower?

Yep, I would. I don't like to feel squished in the shower. Can you store the other items under a bed? And maybe put in coat hooks on the wall? Or add a coat tree to your entryway?

I agree - I'd try to figure out how to install a coat rack and shoe rack or something. We have a hanging shoe rack right inside our door from the garage (it's supposed to go over a closet door, but we hung it on the wall) so there's room to hang up all our shoes when we come in. We also have 2 coat racks along 2 walls. It's not pretty, but it's functional.

juggle.... but ask dh to help you be creative. Tell him you want to do this for him but need help in making other things workable. If you seem like you really want to do this for him, he may feel more motivated and creative to help you figure out the logistics of it.

I think I would, and I would see if I could find a spot for a wardrobe near the entrance area to put the coats and shoes in, or at least a coat rack and one of those benches that opens up and you can store shoes underneath the seat (KWIM?). Then again, if space is premium and I was already accustomed to showering in the small space I'd probably end up saying leave well enough alone.

I wouldn't.

The last house we lived had been remodeled removing the coat closet and back stairs to add a bathroom. I hated not having a place to put shoes and coats. During the winter, I always felt that my downstairs was so cluttered without an easy place to put away winter clothes.

Also, the upstairs bathroom remodel had cut the closet in the bedroom next door in half--depth wise. So we had this stupid closet that wasn't even deep enough to put in a hanger! What good was that?

I understand the you wanting enough room for a full-size shower, but in older homes storage space is often at a premium.

I'll be the voice of dissent. I wouldn't remove a closet that holds stuff like that- because I'd forever regret when staring at shoes. :glare:

I wouldn't.

The last house we lived had been remodeled removing the coat closet and back stairs to add a bathroom. I hated not having a place to put shoes and coats. During the winter, I always felt that my downstairs was so cluttered without an easy place to put away winter clothes.

Also, the upstairs bathroom remodel had cut the closet in the bedroom next door in half--depth wise. So we had this stupid closet that wasn't even deep enough to put in a hanger! What good was that?

I understand the you wanting enough room for a full-size shower, but in older homes storage space is often at a premium.

:iagree::iagree:

When we remodeled our home we did not put in a coat closet and I have regretted it.

Also we recently removed a storage closet to enlarge the shower. It is beautiful to look at and I do not miss the closet, but it is so much colder to take a shower in. Getting a custom glass door is also extremely expensive.

Is there any way you could use just half of the depth of the closet and modify it to still function as you need it too?

Any chance of splitting the closet between the two?

This is what I would do. You can store shoes, coats in a 12" deep space using bins and coat hooks at various levels. Take the rest of the closet depth and add it to your bathroom.

We have a weird little closet like this in our laundry room right by the door and it works great for storing those things.

This is what I would do. You can store shoes, coats in a 12" deep space using bins and coat hooks at various levels. Take the rest of the closet depth and add it to your bathroom.

We have a weird little closet like this in our laundry room right by the door and it works great for storing those things.

The closet is about 24" deep. Do you guys think it's worth moving walls for an extra 12" of space in the shower? Hmmm.

And, just for the record, dh is fine with not expanding, partly because he is doing the work and it will make it a more complicated project. But, he thinks it would be better. The idea of having a bigger shower is great. I just really love that closet.

Definitely worth it, to compromise the space. 12" in a shower is quite a difference.

My other thought: we keep our shoes in the garage, which is attached to the house. I use my coat closet as a kitchen pantry, and a coat rack on the wall.

I would do it. Our bathroom was teeny and we took space out of ds's bedroom to expand it and it was one of the best remodel things we've done yet (second only to the air conditioning). One thing that was part of expanding the bathroom though involved adding extra storage to the bathroom as well. Not that bathroom storage is a good place to put coats, but for us, it freed up a lot of unexpected other storage and helped us rearrange in other ways.

Oh yes, 12" difference in a shower stall is huge. I wouldn't have thought much of it except I experienced it when we visited friends. Their shower stall is slightly smaller than ours and I felt cramped. When you have to adjust the shower head just so you can shave your legs without getting water all over your head . . . well, it's just nicer having more space.