Menu

Is it possible to work half time and do homeschooling at the same time?

I am quitting my job full time to do homeschooling but the company is offering half time just 4 hours distributed as i wish, working from my home.

Is it possible to do both things? Just two kids here 5th and 3rd

Anybody here working and doing homeschool at the same time?

I have not decided yet.

Thanks

It has worked reasonably well here. I teach two music classes, plus write music curriculum and do some administrative stuff for the music school. Except for the actual classes, which are scheduled to fit DH's schedule so he's at home, everything else is done with DD here with me, mostly on the computer or the telephone, or both. The only real rough spot has been that DD doesn't seem to get that mommy talking to people on the computer for work is not the same as Skyping grandma, so we've had a few meetings paused temporarily while she showed "Miss Carol" (my boss) her latest drawing or sang her latest song. Luckily, early childhood music is a child-oriented business, and no one has had problems with this.

I do think it helps that DD is fairly independent and likes playing by herself, and that she has no one to fight with :).

I work from home (as of very recently) and I homeschool. It is difficult because in reality, being on the computer (where I do my work, research and basically all recreation) takes a large part of my day so I will be looking to see what others say. At this point, I am NOT following the WTM recommendations for schooling- the main thing I require daily is math and tons of reading.

4 hours per day? or per week?

either way, with the ages of your kids, it could work just fine.

It will not be easy and the schedule will always look better on paper.

I let my kids sleep later in the day then spend my early morning hours working hard. Our school day lasts until the end of my work day, everyday. Working plus homeschooling will not look like other forms of homeschooling.

Thankfully most of my work is from home with flexible hours though. In the fall I'll be doing work for three employers, most of it as an independent contractor. Having to leave home with fixed hours would be harder IMHO. I do most of my thinking/writing work early in the morning and late at night, and that way have just little bits and pieces to take care of during the day. My kids have always worked off of assignment sheets so they can keep going if I'm tied up.

It is also easier when they older of course. In the fall mine will have some online classes, which I am hoping will also free me up some.

And yes, your life will be different than homeschool those where only one spouse works for pay. Our schedule is not that flexible, and I can't do some of the volunteer jobs that some do. I try to volunteer for tasks that I can do on my own schedule without hard deadlines like producing fliers, taking things for copying, keeping up websites, etc. That way I'm contributing, but not impacting my work and homeschooling.

Edited by GVA

I am quitting my job full time to do homeschooling but the company is offering half time just 4 hours distributed as i wish, working from my home.

I have not decided yet.

Thanks

I have worked 20 hours a week from home for the last 10 years. My desk is in the dining room (I work on a computer) and the kiddos generally work at the table behind me. It has always worked extermely well for us. My kids learned early on that if I was on a conference call for work, they should help each other or work on something else until I was available. If you like workboxes, I think those would be very good for organizing materials. I have always just used a planner for each kid, which I write down the assignments for the day and they check them off as they finish.

We generally just put on music and everyone just gets their work done. I try to start an hour before the kids get up so I have some quality time to clear out emails and plan my day. 4 hours goes fast - I'm usually done by lunch time and we have the rest of the day to play and do things together. When DD was littler, I would start a little earlier and take a break about 9am to get her started on her work for the day.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Do the hours have to be within normal work hours? I freelance, but can work anytime (nights, weekends). I could work maybe two hours a day during normal work hours, but more than that without childcare is pushing it. Sometimes when dh gets home I just disappear into my home office and let him handle dinner/bed/everything.

The only difficulty that you may have is getting them to complete some of their work independently since I'm assuming they have been in a traditional school. Only you know your kids well enough to tell if this will be an issue. Best of luck on your new journey!!!

There are many parents on the board who combine homeschooling with part time or even full tme work. I think the situation you describe is very workable if you are a "think outside the box" kind of person. Your schedule will be very different than many homeschooler's schedules.

I work part-time (do therapy and teach one course a semester at a local university). Between these two jobs, preparation for the teaching gig and travel time, I give about 15 hours a week to my professional endeavors. I have decreased my therapy hours because my schedule was a bit daunting last semester. My schedule also changes every semester, sometimes drastically. Last fall, I taught a Wednesday afternoon class, and then in the spring I taught a Tues/Thurs morning class. I make our homeschool schedule accordingly, changing it each semester. We cover the same material no matter what my schedule is, I just change when it is covered. Last semester, we did most of our schoolwork on Monday and Wednesday, with some overflow on Thursday and Friday. It is not traditional, but everything got done. I have to get my kids on board in understanding this schedule, as well.

I have not decided yet.

Thanks

I teach two classes most fall and winter terms, which ends up being about 4-6 hours a week out of the house (generally on two mornings), as well as doing grading and prep work from home.

For us, it works out great. My husband's job is relatively flexible, so he's been able to be home with the kids the mornings I'm teaching. If he wasn't, that would probably make it impractical for us. Paying to have somebody watch DS and DD (and, come this fall, the new baby) would probably eat up nearly all of what I make. But as long as he can be home with them, it works well for us.

Wow so It is possible! I admire you working moms and doing homeschooling!!

And more the ones that work full time! Surely the Lord gives you extra strength!

It would be 20 hours per week, in my free times.

Thank you so much for all your comments, I did not imagine there were so many moms doing it!

I work full time and homeschool, and have since just before my dd (now age 11) was born. It is not easy, you must be very disciplined and willing to let other things in your life slide.

What I do to make it work -

- get up at 5AM to work a couple hours before the kids wake up

- go to bed at 11PM to work a couple hours after the kids go to bed

- plan out homeschooling far in advance so I can hand a sheet to dd and say Here, this is what you are doing today for your core subjects

- use a menu planning service to save time and trouble on meals

I miss out on a lot of social stuff, fun field trips that aren't academic enough to make it worth skipping several hours of work, 'me' time is non-existent, and I never feel like I have enough time to just BE with my kids. But, for me it has been the best choice, especially after my divorce in that (THANKFULLY!) short period when I was a single mom. I get to be with my kids! :) It's hard feeling like I'm not 100% THERE for them every second, but it sure beats the 'putting them in school and working in an office' option! :)

I work from home. I have my own business and can work late or early or in the afternoon while they are playing. I don't have to worry about phone calls, etc. My only struggle is to make schooling a priority during my busy weeks.

I school three, soon to be four.

It can work.

I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader right now. I work afternoons 4 days a week and 1 weekend day a week. It works for us. I have a 42 week school year so I don't have to worry about fitting it all in in 36 weeks. I also use the last 6 weeks for lots of science we've missed.

I require a lot of independence from my 5th grader. My parents watch my boys 4 days a week and are very good about helping them with schoolwork and working on spelling words or flashcards with them. We're a good team.

It's sometimes frustrating to balance because when I'm schooling I'm thinking about work and when I'm working I think about school. But I think everything gets done although I'm pretty tired by the end of the day.

(I clean houses. 'Nuf said. HA!)

I work full time and homeschool, and have since just before my dd (now age 11) was born. It is not easy, you must be very disciplined and willing to let other things in your life slide.

What I do to make it work -

- get up at 5AM to work a couple hours before the kids wake up

- go to bed at 11PM to work a couple hours after the kids go to bed

- plan out homeschooling far in advance so I can hand a sheet to dd and say Here, this is what you are doing today for your core subjects

- use a menu planning service to save time and trouble on meals

I miss out on a lot of social stuff, fun field trips that aren't academic enough to make it worth skipping several hours of work, 'me' time is non-existent, and I never feel like I have enough time to just BE with my kids. But, for me it has been the best choice, especially after my divorce in that (THANKFULLY!) short period when I was a single mom. I get to be with my kids! :) It's hard feeling like I'm not 100% THERE for them every second, but it sure beats the 'putting them in school and working in an office' option! :)

How long have you been doing it? It must be very hard

I work from home. I have my own business and can work late or early or in the afternoon while they are playing. I don't have to worry about phone calls, etc. My only struggle is to make schooling a priority during my busy weeks.

I school three, soon to be four.

It can work.

Your own business that sounds great, what do you do?

I would have to work also very early and late.

I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader right now. I work afternoons 4 days a week and 1 weekend day a week. It works for us. I have a 42 week school year so I don't have to worry about fitting it all in in 36 weeks. I also use the last 6 weeks for lots of science we've missed.

I require a lot of independence from my 5th grader. My parents watch my boys 4 days a week and are very good about helping them with schoolwork and working on spelling words or flashcards with them. We're a good team.

It's sometimes frustrating to balance because when I'm schooling I'm thinking about work and when I'm working I think about school. But I think everything gets done although I'm pretty tired by the end of the day.

(I clean houses. 'Nuf said. HA!)

Yes I understand that!

It is so good to have the help of your parents! Maybe I would do that somedays!

I contract providing parent support for a non-profit that works with families of children who have hearing loss. It ends up being about 10 hours a week, a lot of that is conference calls, telephone calls or emails form home, although I do go to events and meetings away from home. Thankfully since many are for families of children with hearing loss, my kids can go with me! :) For other administrative-type meetings, my mom usually keeps the kids and she is good about havin gthem do assignments if I leave a list; sometimes they do their own thing but my mom is great at making just about anything educational so I am okay with them not getting some bookwork done.

I am also about to start grad school full-time on top of that, so I figure life is going to get really crazy! LOL! I hope to be *much* more organized before our school year starts next fall.

Anything is possible if thats what you want to do. I worked full time at our auto repair shop and homeschooled there at the same time. Now I'm not saying I liked it, but I did what I had to do. You and the kids will need to be organized as far as what is expected and may have to be more independent. Depending on when you work, your kids can work on independent things while your at work and when you are home correct things and do things that need your close instruction. My shop is now closed and I get to stay home :). I am sure you will figure out how to make it work best.

I think it can be done. I would work on finding a more independent curriculum if I did that so that some work could be done by the kids while I did my work.

When I started homeschooling I worked 2.5 days per week and then was home 2.5 days. To be honest, it didn't work well for us. I found I was cramming school into the days I was home and then we missed out on all the fun activities.

I think I could make it work better now, but I still prefer not working while homeschooling.

Dawn

I did it for 6 years. It worked well. The only thing I would suggest is to get a good source of friends that would be willing to take your kids to different homeschool related activities. I had a good web of friends that were willing to do the driving when I absolutely could not be there because of work.

Having said that... it is doable. I much prefer not working anymore, but if I HAD to do part time again - I would go back to it.

Just out of curiosity, is this a work from home position?

No. The call center where I work is about a 15-minute drive from home.

Thanks Angela, so you homeschool in the afternoons?

Yes. Actually we start around 10am and finish up around noon. In the afternoons, we head to a homeschool group class or field trip, take care of errands, or just hang around home. Dh gets home at 6pm (he's awesome - he makes dinner and takes care of the chauffeur duties). I get home at 10:20ish.

4 hours per day? or per week?

either way, with the ages of your kids, it could work just fine.

It will not be easy and the schedule will always look better on paper.

I let my kids sleep later in the day then spend my early morning hours working hard. Our school day lasts until the end of my work day, everyday. Working plus homeschooling will not look like other forms of homeschooling.

:iagree:

Throwing my voice in with the others to say yes, you can do it, especially with slightly older kids. You'll have to be very organized, and you'll have to have more self-control than I did! I was hating my job with a burning passion, so I wasn't working very efficiently and the boundary lines got very blurry--I was always trying to catch up on work during school time or personal stuff during work time, etc. But for four hours a day, it can definitely be done.

Communicate with your DH and let him know that you will need to rely on him more (if he's not good about that already). You won't be the typical SAHM/home manager, so not everything can fall to you. I was handling everything while my DH pretty much just did his job, and it burned me out VERY quickly.

The main thing is strong boundaries--for yourself, for your kids, for your DH. Everyone has to know that work time is work time.

Good luck, and congratulations on your decision to HS!

Go for it!

I've worked 24 hrs a week for the past 10 years...although I don't work at home but actually leave the house for 24 hours a week.

It is doable. I love my job and I love homeschooling the kids. I'm glad I get to do both!