Menu

Freak Talents & Impressing the Kids

I can shuffle cards, but not bridge them. My brother just shuffled cards for them and made that cool bridge thingy, and now they think he's the stuff. "Do it again!" and "Show me how!" -- good grief, they're easily impressed LOL.

What mundane, little things can/did you do, that your little ones found super impressive?

I need to figure something out so I can knock my brother off the pedestal and take back my position as coolest person in the family :D.

I can do the card bridge... I can flip my tongue upside down (it's genetic and my daughter can do it, too)... I can flare my nostrils, which totally grosses my husband out... and I can lick my nose (something else my daughter has discovered she can do). The most recent 'impressive' thing I've done is walk on my knees with my feet on my thighs (Lotus position). The kids fell over repeatedly trying to copy me. I can also do cartwheels but usually discourage those in the house ;)

My daughter gets major kudos from DH's family because she can burp on command. :glare:

I can flip my tongue upside down.

I can move one eye in (looking toward my nose) but leave the other one looking straight ahead.

I can bend my elbows backwards about 15 degrees beyond straight. Although, they think that's more gross than cool. I do it when I want to annoy them. Mature, I know.

My daughter gets major kudos from DH's family because she can burp on command. :glare:

Hehe. My brother can belch the alphabet (But not the Gettysburg address.) (shout-out to fellow Calvin and Hobbes fans)

This never fails to bring him the admiration of any small boys around, related or not.

Hehe. My brother can belch the alphabet (But not the Gettysburg address.) (shout-out to fellow Calvin and Hobbes fans)

This never fails to bring him the admiration of any small boys around, related or not.

ROFL! Yes, she's done the alphabet. She started in at Christmas, and the look on DH's grandmother's face made me hustle my daughter out of the room. We had to have a chat about time and place... :lol:

I used to be able to do back flips. Now that I am over 40, I no longer try that at home, although I will do it at a gym with mats. At home, all I can do is no handed cartwheels. It impresses girls. The back flips impressed everyone, but an ER trip would not, that might happen if I tried it now.

I can also juggle. It is not to hard to learn. That impresses small children.

I can also juggle. It is not to hard to learn. That impresses small children.

:iagree: It's also great as an ice breaker. My senior year of high school I had a free period. I sat in the student lounge area and practised juggling. More people stopped to chat with me than I had chatted with the previous 3 1/2 years. :D

I can snap my toes. Always a favourite around here. Oh and I can make giant fake lips that go well with batting eyelashes. Try it in a mirror: first close your lips. Next, flip your bottom lip down (my dd says "inside-out" but whatever. Lastly, stick your tongue out and push up toward your nose but against your upper lip. Some folks can't do it, but if you can it's a great trick to instill awe and wonder. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, to have all you twitching, bending, juggling, burping wackadoodles in one room...it would completely negate all the hard work we've done to show how normal we are! At the next WTM conference, we need to have a talent show...

I can sing like Ethel Merman...I'm freakily talented! :D

I can shuffle the cards and bridge them. And I can deal pretty quickly. The kids are always really impressed when we play cards. :D

eta: I can also read and write updside down or sideways. It kind of freaks out my 13yo, "How can you read that, Mom??!!"

also... this is my 2500th post! Very exciting. :-)

Edited by MeganP

I can belt out the first few lines of "Respect" by Aretha Franklin and sound almost close. Can't get past those first few though, by then I'm panting :tongue_smilie:

It does require a lot of yelling to get it done.

I am also double jointed in my right thumb, so guess who the thumb war champ is? :lol:

I can do the card shuffling bridge thing and flip my tongue upside-down. My kids still think the card bridge is a neat trick. My ds's think the tongue flip is gross, but dd can do it, too. She can also wiggle her ears; dh can do this but I can't.

I can't lick my nose nor make my eyes wiggle nor raise one eyebrow. If there's one trick I'd love to be able to do it's the one-eyebrow raise. I can flare my nostrils, but I thought everyone could do that.

My kid isn't old enough to be impressed by these, but I've entertained many a child with these:

I can bend my toes back WAY further than anyone I know. I didn't even know my toes were unusual until my best friend pointed it out when I was 18!

I can say the books of the Bible ridiculously fast. I haven't timed it in a while, but it was a weekly highlight for my AWANA Sparks team.:D

I can make a loud annoying whistle with a piece of thick grass. This one is particularly fun when I teach the kids how to do it.

Edited by AndyJoy

I can belt out the first few lines of "Respect" by Aretha Franklin and sound almost close. Can't get past those first few though, by then I'm panting :tongue_smilie:

It does require a lot of yelling to get it done.

I am also double jointed in my right thumb, so guess who the thumb war champ is? :lol:

I'd like to hear that (the singing, not the thumb thingy). I can sing too - I can sound just like the Cowardly Lion singing "If I Were King of the Forest" from the Wizard of Oz. Not marketable either, but the kids like it.:)

I can also write backwards. None of these gifts has ever come in handy and, alas, none of them is marketable either.

I had a youth leader who would go up to the whiteboard and write his first name backwards with his left hand while writing his last name forwards with his right name. If you do that, you'd even impress 17-year-old boys!

I can raise one eyebrow, crack my big toes, and crack my neck (just by twisting it, no hands). I worried that it wasn't good for my neck, but my chiropractor said it was ok, as long as I wasn't doing it forcibly.

I can bend my index and middle fingers on both hands at the first knuckle only, keeping the rest of the finger straight.

My sil can bridge cards behind her back. This impressed my daughter so much that she has worked hard and practiced and now also can bridge cards behind her back.

My dh has the biggest toes, EVER. He can pick up a full can of Coke with them. As a high schooler he and a couple buddies made a home video called "The Toe." They used his sister's doll house and made a Twilight Zone-style show wherein dh's enormous hairy toes destroyed the peaceful doll family and their home. :tongue_smilie:

I can raise one eyebrow, but that is usually deemed unimpressive in light of dh's and sil's cool tricks.