Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week twenty one

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 21 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - T is for Trevor. This week highlighting Irish author William Trevor who will be celebrating his 83rd birthday on May 24th.

If you are in the New York area, don't miss Book Expo America. Lots of neat things going on including 2nd annual book blogger convention. For those book bloggers who can't go, check out Armchair BEA - online conference.

What are you reading this week?

link to week 20

Had a couple great reading weeks. Read two books by blogging author friends. "Janeology" by Karen Harrington and "The Preacher's Bride" by Jody Hedlund. Both excellent and highly recommend. Will be reviewing in the next couple weeks. Also read short comtemporary romance sisters and brides series by Irene Hannon - #1 The Best Gift, #2 Gift from the Heart and #3 The Unexpected Gift.

Trying to do both a to z challenge by author and by title. So far up to J's.

Title:

A. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

B. Beatrice and Virgil - Yann Martel

C. Cinders - Michelle Davidson Argyle

D. Delirious - Daniel Palmer

E. Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynn Truss

F. Forsaken by Shadow - Kait Nolan

G. Green - Ted Dekker

H. Heatwave - Richard Castle

I. In the Woods - Tana French

J. Janeology - Karen Harrington

Author

A. Alton Gansky - The Incumbent

B. Patricia Briggs - River Marked

C. Cherry Adair - Hush

D. Debbie Macomber - Angels Everywhere

E. Elle Newmark - The Sandalwood Tree

F. Diana Pharoah Francis - Crimson Wind

G.Gary Chapman - The Five Love Languages

H. Libby Fischer Hellmann - An Eye for Murder (e-book)

I. Irene Hannon - The Best Gift (e-book)

J. Jody Hedlund - The Preacher's Bride

I read "Decision Points" by George Bush this week. I enjoyed this book because it was an unusual memoir in the sense that each chapter dealt with a major decision--personal or presidential. I am not American so I could look at these decisions from a fairly neutral stance. I found it fascinating to read his decision making process.

Book #29 is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight trans. by Tolkien. I also reading "Towards a Philosophy of Education" by Charlotte Mason.

I finished:

#38 - A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness - and a Trove of Letters - Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression, by Ted Gup. I wrote a tad about this last week. Excellent book.

#39 - Simple Gifts, by Lori Copeland. First book I've read by this Christian fiction author. Seems to have a way with making the mundane humorous.

Currently reading:

#40 - Decision Points, by George Bush. So far-so good. Down to earth; honest; funny, too.

I finished All the President's Pastries by Roland Mesnier, also read Rose in Bloom by Louisa M. Alcott. Currently reading A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym and The First Ladies' Cookbook: Favorite Recipes of all the Presidents of the United States. Next up: Summer Half by Angela Thirkell.

I'm just amazed how many books others have read! I'm falling further and further behind. At the moment, I'm working through Thucydides--it will only be Book #19, which puts me two books behind--and while it's a good read, it takes concentration and reasonable stretches of time for working through the long persuasive arguments: these are things in short supply around here.

I take my hat off to you literary ladies!

At the moment, I'm working through Thucydides--it will only be Book #19,

You're doing great, esp. considering you have a 3yo!!!!. Believe me, when I still had a 3yo in the house, I was doing well to read about a dozen books in a year (for myself, that is). At that time, I also wasn't doing any 'heavy' reading like Thucydides -- mostly mind fluff for me at that point in my life!:tongue_smilie:

Oh, and I meant to tell you that I'm going to have to check out that Murakami book you mentioned last week

#38 - A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness - and a Trove of Letters - Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression, by Ted Gup. I wrote a tad about this last week. Excellent book.

I think my book club will be reading this over the summer. I recommended it based on your posting about it last week. :001_smile: So, thanks!

Not sure if I have posted on this year's thread but I am moving along on my goal. Here is what I have read so far this year:

1. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

2. The Productive Writer by Sage Cohen

3. On Writing by Stephen King

4. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

5. Nudge by Richard H. Thaler

6. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

7. The Lie That Tells a Truth by John Dufresne

8. Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt

9. Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt

10. The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds

11. Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

12. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

13. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

14. Children of God by Mary Doria Russell

15. The Road by Cormac McCarthy

16.The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

17. The Epic of Gilgamesh

18. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

19. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

20. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

And this week I am hoping to finish Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens by Jane Dunn, and maybe start on The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. My goal for the year is to read 100 books but these include read-alouds I do with the kids. So far it looks like it's ending up about 50/50. I did include Peter Pan on this list even though it was a read-aloud because it was a pretty difficult read for a kid's book. :D

Not sure if I have posted on this year's thread but I am moving along on my goal. Here is what I have read so far this year:

1. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

14. Children of God by Mary Doria Russell

read-aloud because it was a pretty difficult read for a kid's book. :D

I read The Sparrow about 5-7 years ago and found it quite disturbing. How was the sequel? I've often thought abot reading it, but have hesitated.

I think my book club will be reading this over the summer. I recommended it based on your posting about it last week. :001_smile: So, thanks!

I do hope you and the book club ladies enjoy it as much as I did! I'll look forward to your post! :)

I read The Sparrow about 5-7 years ago and found it quite disturbing. How was the sequel? I've often thought abot reading it, but have hesitated.

I found The Sparrow disturbing too! But I thought it brought up a lot of very important questions about life, faith, God's will, etc. that I had never even thought to ask. Children of God is much less disturbing and explains a lot of the horrifying events of the first book. I thought the first installment was a somewhat better novel (and the the way the plot unfolded really made it a page-turner), but reading the second one resolved a lot of things for me and allowed me to breathe a small sigh of relief. It is well written also (just not quite as compelling as the first IMO) and I'm glad I read it.

I still want to know about this pastry book! What is it? Don't make me go over to Amazon to actually find out what it's about. ;)

I posted a little about it in last week's thread. It was good. I totally want to be a pastry chef now :D It was interesting to get a glimpse "behind the scenes" of his interactions with the first families, and all the different desserts he had to create for various heads of state, etc. I wish there were more pictures because it was hard to visualize all his creations. Made for yummy reading though.

I am so thankful for this thread keeping me accountable each week! I'm having a good reading year, albeit mostly fluff. The habit of reading is being honed this year. ;)

This last week I finished a couple books; I had a lot of time to read:

The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead

How Should We Then Live? by Francis Schaeffer

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

Why Grace Changes Everything by Chuck Smith

Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker (I really didn't like this book; review HERE)

This week I have started Voyage of the Dawn Treader. :)

Happy Reading!

Edited by Guest

I'm in the middle of three books right now:

"The Fifth Sacred Thing" by StarHawk which I started last week and haven't finished yet- almost done though!

The latest in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward (vampire erotica)- I had started it before The Fifth Sacred Thing but put it aside when I got that, because The Fifth Sacred Thing is an interlibrary loan book and I own the other one.

And the Free Range Kids book by Lenore Skenazy which I'm still reading here and there in spare moments.

Together, my daughter and I just finished The Long Winter and I will be starting "The Return of the Indian" today as a read aloud with the kids as we read the first in the series a while back and I just came across the second at a used book sale the other day.

I have to recommend my book from last week, Packing for Mars. I've been a bit of a NASA geek over the years, and thought I knew most everything about the space program and astronaut training, but apparently I knew very little. Packing for Mars is fascinating and really funny -- I got a fit of the giggles while reading the detailed chapter on the history of going to the bathroom in zero gravity. There are chapters on food, on motion sickness in zero gravity and on crash testing.

This week I'm enjoying a steampunk, alternate history romp called Spring Heeled Jack.

I'm extremely behind too:

I've read:

1. Evangelical Is Not Enough

2. Square Foot Gardening (and yes, I really did read the whole thing)

3. A lot of cookbooks (I know, they don't count)

4. The Backyard Homestead

5. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

6. The Spirited Child

7. History Of The Ancient World

8. Reasons To Believe

9. Catholicism and Fundamentalism (must admit I didn't finish)

I'm reading:

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma (audiobook)

11. Herodotus' Histories

12. Thucydides

13. Museum of Innocence (Orhan Pamuk)

I don't like the Pamuk book but I'll keep on for a while. It starts in a graphic way and I don't like it much. DH says it gets better. I have The Black Book and The New Life as well that I'd like to read also.

Like Sharon In Austin, I need long stretches of quiet and concentration for Herodotus and Thucydides. That will start next week. DD started school today, but this week is a "getting set up" week here while DH is still here. Concentration not an option. Grocery shopping is. Need to do it while I have a DH and a car available for the heavy stuff!!

I have to recommend my book from last week, Packing for Mars. I've been a bit of a NASA geek over the years, and thought I knew most everything about the space program and astronaut training, but apparently I knew very little. Packing for Mars is fascinating and really funny -- I got a fit of the giggles while reading the detailed chapter on the history of going to the bathroom in zero gravity. There are chapters on food, on motion sickness in zero gravity and on crash testing.

Oh, I've been wanting to read that! Tell me, does it talk about the antarctic living experiments?

I haven't posted in a while but I've been reading.

Last week I finished Percival's Planet by Michael Byers. It was a nice change of pace since I had just read The Judas Gate by Jack Higgins the week before. Blech! Absolutely no character development in that book.

Before that I read Alone Together by Sherry Turkle. I thought it was simply going to be a book about spending too much time on electronics. Instead, the first half of the book was devoted to people (usually elderly or children) developing relationships with robots and the pro/cons this would have on society. This was something I had never heard about. The second half of the book covered texting, Facebook, and Second Life (a web site I'd never heard of before this book). So much going on in the world out there that I am clueless about! :lol:

This week I'm reading my 21st book Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes.

I found The Sparrow disturbing too! But I thought it brought up a lot of very important questions about life, faith, God's will, etc. that I had never even thought to ask. Children of God is much less disturbing and explains a lot of the horrifying events of the first book. I thought the first installment was a somewhat better novel (and the the way the plot unfolded really made it a page-turner), but reading the second one resolved a lot of things for me and allowed me to breathe a small sigh of relief. It is well written also (just not quite as compelling as the first IMO) and I'm glad I read it.

Thank you :). I'll put it on hold, then, and read it. I don't mind if it's less compelling since I dont need to stay up into the wee hours reading every night;).

Children of God is much less disturbing and explains a lot of the horrifying events of the first book.

Thanks for posting this info. Children of God has been on my 'want to read' list for awhile now -- just haven't gotten around to it yet. I read The Sparrow a couple of years ago & found it fascinating & well-written.

And Stacia, thank you for your sweet words re: my avatar. :grouphug:

You're welcome! :001_smile:

I really enjoyed this book too. Jenn, everytime I read your lists/reviews, I feel like we are on the same wavelength as far as books! We seem to like many of the same books &/or authors & seem to have similar reactions to those books. :coolgleamA: and :lol:

I don't like the Pamuk book but I'll keep on for a while. It starts in a graphic way and I don't like it much. DH says it gets better.

Please keep us posted on this one (esp. if your opinion of it does change). I read Pamuk for the first time last year & the book was weighty/dense to get through. Overall, I liked it & would like to try another of his books....

Oh, I've been wanting to read that! Tell me, does it talk about the antarctic living experiments?

I don't remember antarctic living experiments being covered in Packing for Mars (but I could be mistaken because it's been a bit since I read it). Still a cool & interesting book nonetheless....

Finished:

1. The Secret Life of Houdini: the Making of a Superman by William Kalush

2. 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison

3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

4. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

5. Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

6. The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

7. Phantastes by George MacDonald

8. Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed the World (LeCouteur)

9. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

10. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

11. Mountains Beyond Mountains (Kidder)

12 Tipping Point (Gladwell)

13."Don't Bother Me Mom--I'm Learning!" (Prensky)

14. Her Fearful Symmetry (Niffennegger)

15. The Terminal Experiment (Sawyer)

16. The Theory of Fun for Game Design (Koster)

17. Under the Banner of Heaven (Krakhauer)

Working on:

Operatives, Spies, and Sabateurs (O'Donnell)

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (Sacks)

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Willis)

Cloudsplitter (Banks)

The Norby Chronicles (Asimov)

Still pretty far behind but I finished one book this weekend, am half way through several others, and I don't have the burden of tons of articles to read for class.

Edited by LostSurprise
finished one!

I've been away on vacation for the last two weeks and didn't do any reading while away. Now, I'm home and have a ton of laundry to do. Not to mention the flea infestation we came home to. :glare: Yesterday, I spent the day vacuuming and washing so the bug guy could spray the house. Then went to the vet to get different flea meds for the dog.

I caught up on the last two threads and added a few books to my wish list. I will finish up Remarkable Creatures and Growing Up Global in a few days.

Haven't had time to write about them but I am reading through Patricia Brigg's Mercedes Thompson series. The Mercy Thompson series were recommended by a friend who is also a Dresden Files fan.

While technically in the same genre and quite enjoyable so far, they are no Dresden Files.

On their own merit though, Mercedes is a highly likable character with a great supporting cast.

Interestingly, the fae have "come out" to some extent in these books and the consequences are only just beginning to reverberate through as the werewolves also reveal themselves.

I am now in the third book and will happily continue the series, they are a nice addition to the paranormal genre. I also very much appreciate that the content, so far, is 'PG". I like to share good stories with my teenager but a lot of paranormal crosses a line I am not ready for her to cross as yet.

I just finished Island Beneath the Sea, by Isabel Allende Picked this up when I saw it at Barnes and Nobel since I've never been disappointed by her books. It was really good and a fascinating read. It's essentially deals with French Colonializm and the independence of Haiti and life in New Orleans told through the story of a slave. I'm curious now to read some history on this subject now.

51KyA89apoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I bought a ton of books while in the states, so won't be lacking for material. I think I'll go on to finish the Book Thief now, but won't be surprised if I pick up something else along the way too.

I just finished Island Beneath the Sea, by Isabel Allende

I bought a ton of books while in the states, so won't be lacking for material. I think I'll go on to finish the Book Thief now, but won't be surprised if I pick up something else along the way too.

Jamee, I LOVE Isabel Allende - love, love, love her. :D

Is this her latest book? I guess I need to go and check it out. I have read all of her books, other than the 3 for young adults/teens, which didn't appeal to me much.

Also really enjoyed The Book Thief.

I just finished Island Beneath the Sea, by Isabel Allende Picked this up when I saw it at Barnes and Nobel since I've never been disappointed by her books. It was really good and a fascinating read. It's essentially deals with French Colonializm and the independence of Haiti and life in New Orleans told through the story of a slave. I'm curious now to read some history on this subject now.

I picked this up at the library recently & it's on my 'to read' pile. Glad to hear that it's a good one. (I'm an Allende fan too.) The Book Thief is a great book.

I picked this up at the library recently & it's on my 'to read' pile. Glad to hear that it's a good one. (I'm an Allende fan too.) The Book Thief is a great book.

Stacia! I had NO idea that you're an Allende fan! :grouphug: Or maybe I'm going through some amnesia ... :tongue_smilie: Well, all the more reason to like you more! :D :grouphug: :D

Stacia! I had NO idea that you're an Allende fan! :grouphug: Or maybe I'm going through some amnesia ... :tongue_smilie: Well, all the more reason to like you more! :D :grouphug: :D

:lol: I haven't read that many of her books, but I have really enjoyed all the ones I have read. I like her enough that my fil saved this article for me to read back when it originally came out. LOL. (Fil & I like to discuss books we've read.) :001_smile:

Jamee, I LOVE Isabel Allende - love, love, love her. :D

Is this her latest book? I guess I need to go and check it out. I have read all of her books, other than the 3 for young adults/teens, which didn't appeal to me much.

Also really enjoyed The Book Thief.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is her latest, it was released in Spain in 2009, my copy is dated last year. I have loved all the books I've read of hers, mostly the later ones, since first being introduced to her by a college professor. He had us read non-American authors and her name was suggested, so I read House of the Spirits. There's just something about her story telling and I love the historical aspect. Last year I read Sum of Our Days which is a memoir dedicated to her daughter. Such an amazing life Ms Allende has lived. I need to find copies of some of her earlier works and read those, although Ines of my Soul looks like it might be interesting too.

What is your favorite book of hers?

:lol: I haven't read that many of her books, but I have really enjoyed all the ones I have read. I like her enough that my fil saved this article for me to read back when it originally came out. LOL. (Fil & I like to discuss books we've read.) :001_smile:

Good article. The book they're discussing too is very good. Very California, soap opera-ish. "only in San Francisco.":D

Stacia, okay, NOW I remember you linking that article :D. I loved reading that.

There's just something about her story telling and I love the historical aspect.

What is your favorite book of hers?

Jamee, quite honestly, I've loved every one of her books. My absolute favorite however, is House of Spirits.

I loved Sum of Our Days, Paula, Eva Luna, Ines of my Soul ... every single one of them. Haven't read Aphrodite - think it's just a collection of er*tic recipes ;).

She starts a new book, I guess most years, on January 8th. She, and her husband, have had very interesting lives.

I've read most of her books in order of when they were published. It's been a few years and I may re-read some of them again. But when I read an author, I try to avoid reading ONLY that author back-to-back. I need breaks between authors, except for series that you cannot put down, like Girl with Dragon Tattoo - the sort of books where you absolutely HAVE to know what's going to happen next. :)

seedo2-1_01.jpg

Dare I say it -- I don't think I've ever read any of Isabele Allende's books! But I'm intrigued now and will have to add her to my growing "to read" stack. The stack that has spilled out of my night stand shelf and onto the floor...and is piling up on my iPad...

I should get off the computer and read instead!

Should I start with The House of the Spirits?

Yes, absolutely :). This is her first book that she wrote in 1984, while living in Venezuela, I think ... wonderful story.

:iagree:Great introduction to her. She writes about very strong, independant women. Her books can get a little steamy at times, but I don't remember anything too bad. There's also a lot of magic. I love the history she takes you too, places not usually covered in books.

Haven't had time to write about them but I am reading through Patricia Brigg's Mercedes Thompson series. The Mercy Thompson series were recommended by a friend who is also a Dresden Files fan.

While technically in the same genre and quite enjoyable so far, they are no Dresden Files.

On their own merit though, Mercedes is a highly likable character with a great supporting cast.

Interestingly, the fae have "come out" to some extent in these books and the consequences are only just beginning to reverberate through as the werewolves also reveal themselves.

I am now in the third book and will happily continue the series, they are a nice addition to the paranormal genre. I also very much appreciate that the content, so far, is 'PG". I like to share good stories with my teenager but a lot of paranormal crosses a line I am not ready for her to cross as yet.

Love Mercy Thompson and the cast of characters she gets involved with.

I've gotten into the Ghostwalkers series by Christine Feehan. She's definitely r rated so beware. Just finished "Shadow Game". I seemed to gotten into a binge of paranormal romances lately along with contemporary christian romances. Definitely an odd mix.