Menu

Math Mammoth...how do you...

LisaKinVA

I print it a chapter at a time and store them in a folder. I hand out each day's work as loose leaf, then stick it in a binder afterward. Though with multiple grades, making a notebook for each one might be a good idea. The individual pages don't have grade levels on them, so it could be easy to mix them up (there was a thread where someone had that issue not too long ago).

I print half the year up front. Then I staple it into packets (approximately what can/should be accomplished in a week). We keep the packet on a clipboard and work through it. When we finish the packet we file it and pull out the next one. This system has worked out very well for us and my boys are able to keep track of the packets pretty easily. We've also been able to move around between topics this way by pulling out a packet out of order (i.e. We skipped ahead and did the intro to multiplication then went back and finished up a previous chapter; we skipped clocks and will finish that packet up last).

:001_smile:

I printed out a chapter at a time this past year, but decided I would rather print the entire year before the year begins...I printed out the year for both of my boys that are using it already...I have file folders set up for each week and I am going to file them in their folders, one week's worth of work in each file...I will continue to hole punch them and put them in a binder, I will just do it once they are completed now...I put the answer keys in a binder for myself in sheet protectors...

At the moment, the sheets are on top of a shelf waiting for me to file them away...So much to do still ;)

This spring I printed out two year's worth, double-sided, in color, on 28 weight paper. I usually use heavier weight paper if we write on both sides. Then I bound them in a ProClick 100 page comb/spiral spine. I can fit A in one binder, B in another. In a third binder I print out answers/tests/extra stuff.

Last year I put it in a 3-ring binder, but that binder is huge! I usually had to take the papers out for my daughter to do to make it more manageable. This year's we can easily just use the ProClick pamphlet.

I print out each day's page individually. Generally we do two pages a day, and I print the two pages half-sized on one sheet. If the page in question requires more writing space, I'll print it one-per-page. I skip pages that are entirely things I know they really hate or that I otherwise don't think they need to do.

(I only do the 2-per-page with DS. DD isn't ready to read/write that small yet.)

I'll probably change to a week or chapter at a time at some point, especially when I go back to work and may not be around to print out pages on a day-to-day basis. But for now I like the ability to fine-tune, not waste paper and ink on stuff I don't feel they need to do, and the opportunity to look it over.

This year I printed each chapter and comb bound it using card stock for front and back covers. I made a cover page in Word and a table of contents for each book. I bound the answer key separately.

I chose to do this as I did have trouble telling which sheets belonged to which kid at times.

Here is 3A:

I used to print a few weeks at a time and keep the sheets in binders, but now I have a comb-binder, which I love :001_wub:, so I make workbooks instead.

I print in color on "fast draft" mode, which is very quick and uses far less ink. I also print the table of contents and bind it in front of the book, so I can check off (and date) the lessons as they're done. I print single-sided on cheap paper so when the "workbook" is open flat DD can use the back of the previous page for scratch paper. That way if she makes a mistake, I can see her work right there on the adjacent page rather than having lots of loose papers floating around. Also makes it very easy to take work with us if we have to be out during the day.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I have a storage clipboard for my dd. I printed off the entire answer key and just the first chapter of Math Mammoth. I have a binder to put completed pages in.

http://www.amazon.com/Saunders-SlimMate-Plastic-Clipboard-00559/dp/B001BQR5AA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305324767&sr=8-3

The clipboard I linked above is what we have. I put the printed off chapter in the storage compartment. I just pull out several pages each day for my dd to work on. I keep the answer key inside the storage compartment too. After my dd is done with math for the day, I put completed pages in a binder.

I supplement/review with MM (1-2 sheets per day) after our RS lesson (our spine). I print a weeks worth of pages (8-ish or so) and put them in an Office Depot Brand Poly Project File/Folder (love these things) and slip it inside the back cover of my RS manual. When ready, I just take out the top 2 worksheets for my little man. After completion and discussion, he places them face down in his math cubby drawer (Sterilite Drawer Tower/Cart, similar to these). I do this instead of keeping them in a notebook. At the end of the year, they'll get filed/stored in an action packer for safe keeping with the rest of his work from the school year.

I used to print a few weeks at a time and keep the sheets in binders, but now I have a comb-binder, which I love :001_wub:, so I make workbooks instead.

I print in color on "fast draft" mode, which is very quick and uses far less ink. I also print the table of contents and bind it in front of the book, so I can check off (and date) the lessons as they're done. I print single-sided on cheap paper so when the "workbook" is open flat DD can use the back of the previous page for scratch paper. That way if she makes a mistake, I can see her work right there on the adjacent page rather than having lots of loose papers floating around. Also makes it very easy to take work with us if we have to be out during the day.

Jackie

I haven't had a chance to use these yet. Now I'm looking forward to it even more. I print single sided also (I'm not sure I have the patience to do otherwise.) I hadn't even thought of the built-in scrap paper.

Edited by darlasowders

I print it a chapter at a time and store them in a folder. I hand out each day's work as loose leaf, then stick it in a binder afterward. Though with multiple grades, making a notebook for each one might be a good idea. The individual pages don't have grade levels on them, so it could be easy to mix them up (there was a thread where someone had that issue not too long ago).

:iagree:

Here's what they look like in ProClick spines. I used the 100-page spines for each A and B book and printed on both sides, including a clear cover and heavy back. I used 3 spines - for A, B, and a small one for the answer key (might put tests in there too). I like that they lie flat.

We don't use MM as our main math, but use it if we're on the road. Having them all bound like this makes me tempted to use it more.

post-8662-13535084847788_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084848156_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084847788_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084848156_thumb.jpg

I print out a day's work at a time. At night, when I'm getting ready for the next day, I look briefly at the next lesson and print it out. If it is a longer lesson I print only 2 pages of it, and do the rest of it the next day. I also circle about half the problems for him to do, and leave it on the desk with his list of assignments for that day. When he is done with it he staples it, dates it, and 3 hold punches it. I then grade it and put it in his binder. I like only having a few pages to deal with at a time. And sometimes he is doing really well, so I don't print all the pages.

do this? Do you print out a section and stick it in a binder? Should I take it to Office Depot and have it printed double-sided and comb-bound? I need to print 3 grades (6, 5, and 1)

I print out about twenty pages, 3 hole punch it and place it in a pocket folder. When we are done with that, repeat.

I printed out the full year and took it to Staples to be sprial bound. I had 2 books made for each year (1A, 1B, 2A, 2B) It was so worth having it all printed and in workbook form.

This is what I do.......so worth it! Although, I have four children I'll have to do this for next year......It's a lot of paper and ink! I really wish she'd sell them in color.

Just bought MM in March. Printed 1-A and 1-B double sided on fast draft (uses less ink), hole punched and put in 3 ring binder. Tabs separate 1-A, 1-A Ans, 1-B, 1-B Ans, Cum Rev, and Tests. Taking out 1 page a day and having her work both front and back.

BTW - I went through both 1-A and 1-B with coloring pencils and it only took one evening to color in anything that really needed color. (Money was the worst! All those pennies! And Money had to be printed as photo quality or the coins weren't clear enough, but it's a small section.)

I had priced printing at Kinkos (my original choice) but it was SO VERY expensive!! And there was no way I could tweak it to make it cheaper. In the end, one new cartridge of black ink (only $32) was MUCH cheaper than printing at Kinkos, and I desperately needed it anyway, and now I have about 75% of the ink left over for the rest of the year. So only $3 for the paper, $32 for the ink, and I'm probably set on ink for the next 6 months too.

I print half a year double-sided and have them comb bound. I cannot handle loose leaf papers with all my little people. Having it bound keeps it all in one place ad keeps it from being lost.....or eaten......

I love my little comb bound workbooks. They have simplified my life!!! :001_smile:

I print out a semester's worth and put them in a binder. I'm thinking seriously of getting a ProClick but handing the entire booklet to DD would not be a good idea since the other pages would distract her.

I'm finding ink to be really cheap on amazon.com but I don't have a laser printer. Also, I tried fast draft once, but I find that dark ink for math is much easier on the eyes as MM has a smaller font than Singapore's. I'm beginning to print double-sided since the paper I use is quality paper (no other choice at Costco) and I can't bear to waste the other side.

Little bit off topic....but the school year is coming to an end (for many of us), will you all save the completed work? And if so, for how long? I hate papers sitting around.... I have been wondering if I am to be saving these or not. :confused:

Little bit off topic....but the school year is coming to an end (for many of us), will you all save the completed work? And if so, for how long? I hate papers sitting around.... I have been wondering if I am to be saving these or not. :confused:

I just threw out all of grade 1 a week or so ago. I needed binder space, since we had just finished 2A.

Do you have to keep anything for a portfolio or anything? If not, go ahead and chunk it when you're ready. My state doesn't have any requirements beyond attendance, so there was no need to really keep the work. I do like to have what we're working on on hand, just in case there was some question of whether we're doing anything, but I figured since I had a whole semester's worth of more current work, that was plenty. The previous level could go. ;)

Oh, and back to the OP... I just purchased the ProClick last night, so as soon as that comes, we'll be switching to the spiral binding method, rather than the loose leaf method. :D This will be good, since we'll probably have 2 different levels going in another year, and I can totally see myself giving my 5 year old 3rd or 4th grade math by accident. :lol:

Those of you who are using the ProClick binding or something similar... do you have lefties and, if so, does the binding pose an inconvenience to them?

My youngest will likely be a leftie, so I have thought about this. I was thinking I'd probably bind across the top, so it won't matter. That should be rightie and leftie friendly. ;)

Thank you, everyone. I am looking at the Pro-Click machine now...I can see it being useful for numerous things. Also looking at a laminator.

Now, if I can just print double sided without giving myself a huge headache :D

Thank you, everyone. I am looking at the Pro-Click machine now...I can see it being useful for numerous things. Also looking at a laminator.

Now, if I can just print double sided without giving myself a huge headache :D

Thanks to the forum, I got a laminator and have found it useful for printing out art and laminating them.

I like the idea of binding at the top. So, do we just first cut off the binding to fit the pages or bind it first and then cut it off?

One thing keeping me from buying Pro-Click is that I really like to only give DD a page or 2 of MM at a time. Giving her the whole booklet will cause her to start flipping back and forth and getting distracted. Anyone find it cumbersome to be taking pages out everyday? Probably no one does this. I've never used a binding machine or seen one, so I don't quite understand whether it's easy to use to not.

I cut the binding first and then put it on, but you could probably do it the other way too. With what's left over you could make another little book!

As for taking sheets out, you could do that with the ProClick spine, but I don't think it's the ideal thing to open and close everyday. You could zip a ProClick spine open everyday and zip it back up, but I don't think ProClick was really quite meant for that. For that I'd prefer a 3-ring binder.

What we do is that I highlight the page numbers at the bottom of our workbooks and tell my daughter to do just those pages. She's happy to oblige. Sometimes if she finished way early, I'll highlight a few more pages. To keep track of where we're at in the workbooks, we use one of those Post-it page markers.

I also print the table of contents and bind it in front of the book, so I can check off (and date) the lessons as they're done. I print single-sided on cheap paper so when the "workbook" is open flat DD can use the back of the previous page for scratch paper. That way if she makes a mistake, I can see her work right there on the adjacent page rather than having lots of loose papers floating around.

Jackie

I really like these ideas! I am SO going to look into a binding machine!

I think it depends a lot on state requirements.

Our state has no record-keeping/portfolio requirement, so I toss most everyday work as soon as we're done. I should probably keep some sort of quarterly progress/portfolio type thing, both in case it is ever needed and as a memory book, but I see no point whatsoever in keeping hundreds and hundreds of pages unless it's required by law or something. I certainly didn't keep all my public school homework papers.

Guest jab300

Jackie

Wonderful idea! I've never used comb binding and was wondering if the workbook would lay flat. Love the "back of the page scratch paper" idea.

• 1 month later...
Resurrecting this thread for a question. Doesn't anybody just buy the printed MM books through Lulu? I don't see that mentioned here. Is it that much more expensive?

It is not about the expense for me, we don't buy the printed version bc it is not in color ;)

I printed the entire year upfront...I divide the pages and put them into files (I file all loose dittos)...I will hole punch them and put them into a binder once the work is completed...If you don't use filing crates, then you can hole punch and put the pages into a binder, then just take out what you need...Put the completed pages at the end of the binder or in a different binder...I use a 3" binder, so it is pretty big...

As far as the answer keys and additional info, I printed the entire year upfront and put them into sheet protectors in a binder....

Resurrecting this thread for a question. Doesn't anybody just buy the printed MM books through Lulu? I don't see that mentioned here. Is it that much more expensive?

I don't...I prefer to print out the pages than to have them bound in a workbook...I like to file them and work on a page at a time...I prefer PDFs to books when the kids have to write on the pages...I reprint pages if there are too many errors or something was misunderstood...I can't do that with a workbook...I also like the color in this case...

Even if it was the same price or more I would prefer to print it out...I have MM on CD...

I don't...I prefer to print out the pages than to have them bound in a workbook...I like to file them and work on a page at a time...I prefer PDFs to books when the kids have to write on the pages...I reprint pages if there are too many errors or something was misunderstood...I can't do that with a workbook...I also like the color in this case...

Even if it was the same price or more I would prefer to print it out...I have MM on CD...

Oh, I hadn't seen that option. I'm thinking we should try out at least one book first to see if we like it. I also hadn't realized the downloads were in color and the printed books B&W.

:iagree: PDF love here :001_wub: especially for multiple students and for toddlers-spilling-on-sibling's-papers. I hand them a couple pages at a time, or sometimes I staple a few days' worth. Aferward, they all go in a binder.

Thanks for this thread. I like the ideas. I will have to organize much better, as I have dozens of MM papers all over the place right now. I couldn't find the hole puncher in a long time.. I'm thinking I should put them all in a binder already before the beginning of the year and just reinsert.