Menu

Another cooking question - baking bacon?

How does one bake bacon? I have heard to line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and bake at 400 degrees. Do you turn the bacon? How long does it take? I saw a great idea in a cooking magazine for making bacon squares for cooking bacon for burgers (which we love). You took two pieces of bacon, cut them in half, and then took the four pieces and wove them into squares. It said one could fit 9 of these on a cookie sheet and to bake them at 400 degrees, but it didn't say for how long.

It takes about half an hour. The texture is different--drier but not crispy. It would be ok for bacon bits or possibly in a recipe. On burgers it would be ok. I don't like to eat baked bacon by itself.

Epic Mealtime (on YouTube) does this quite often. They curse a lot, but bleep it out (if you were interested in watching). Most of their cooking also revolves around liquor.

They always flip the bacon. I've seen them use big spatulas and tongs. Usually, when they use tongs, they've weaved the bacon as well. You may want to go with the spatula.

I always bake ours since I usually do 2-3 lbs at a time. (If I'm going to smell up the house, I may as well do enough for left-overs.) I'll do one on the broiling rack & a 2nd in a roasting pan. I line w/foil to keep the grease from being such a mess. I don't turn in. Mine never gets really crisp like I like it for BLTs, but a minute in the microwave will do that. I tend to put it on about 250 for an hour or so. Usually I'll start it well before we want to eat, but then I can focus on the pancakes & eggs w/o worrying if the bacon will be done.

we bake bacon here as well! We like ours extra crispy. Uncured Applewood Smoked Bacon... so yum! Thick slices: 375F for about 30 min. You have to watch it tho... it can burn quick.

Try brushing it with maple syrup halfway thru cooking. OMG! :D

we bake bacon here as well! We like ours extra crispy. Uncured Applewood Smoked Bacon... so yum! Thick slices: 375F for about 30 min. You have to watch it tho... it can burn quick.

Try brushing it with maple syrup halfway thru cooking. OMG! :D

:iagree:

Frees up the top of the stove for other things--and no problems with limp bacon around here! :tongue_smilie:

We bake it. We actually lay the bacon on a raised metal rack (the kind you would use to cool cookies or such). We put that on top of a pan and put it in the oven. We bake it at 400 for about 30 minutes or so.

:iagree: We do this as well. We check the bacon every few minutes at the end as it goes from perfectly done to charred pretty quickly. Much easier and less messy than frying bacon.

I line a pan with foil, wire racks on top of that, place bacon as closely as I can w/o overlap then pop in the oven which I THEN heat to 425* F for about 20-30 min.

I also cook a lot at one time, as mentioned previously. Bacon doesn't happen often, I'm gonna do it up big when I do dive in ;)

We bake it. We actually lay the bacon on a raised metal rack (the kind you would use to cool cookies or such). We put that on top of a pan and put it in the oven. We bake it at 400 for about 30 minutes or so.

This is what I do, except I use center cut bacon and the cooking time is less.

This is exactly what I do. It is so much easier & less messy than frying bacon in a pan! LOVE IT!

I bake it in a foil-lined pan and don't bother with the rack because I don't want to have another item to wash. I transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate when it's done, and it's great once the excess fat drains a bit. Best of all, there's nothing to clean up!

:bigear:

Overlap the bacon strips the opposite from the way they come packaged. So you lay a piece down and cover the meaty side of the first piece with the fatty side of the second piece and continue until all the bacon is layer out. There will be one piece that has meat uncovered at the end ( what can you do?) but this method allows the fat to be exposed (and get crisp) while the meaty part is protected from burning.

Bill

Overlap the bacon strips the opposite from the way they come packaged. So you lay a piece down and cover the meaty side of the first piece with the fatty side of the second piece and continue until all the bacon is layer out. There will be one piece that has meat uncovered at the end ( what can you do?) but this method allows the fat to be exposed (and get crisp) while the meaty part is protected from burning.

Bill

Have you tried putting foil over that end? Not on the bacon, but suspended over it, I know it works for other meats and it may be worth a try.

I appreciate all the tips (and tricks! :D) It's funny b/c that article I read had the bacon overlapped. It was mostly for convenience b/c you used half slices of bacon and did the overlap thing which made a perfect square. Ideal for my need which is to have enough bacon ready for barbecue bacon cheddar burgers! Yum!!!