Menu

experienced campers: what is the minimum stuff needed for a successful camping trip?

I am a COMPLETE novice. My husband is too. My kids have shown interest in it, and I am still in the thinking stage, trying to figure out if we could really pull it off (I have my doubts :glare:).

I'm thinking for one night, maybe two. So what stuff is a must? I want to keep it simple but not forget something essential.

You are welcome to flood me with any other advice. Really.

Depends on how cold it gets where you are - here we need sleeping bags this time of year. If you are getting 60+ degree nights, you can make do with blankets.

A tent - or a couple of blue plastic tarps with rope to make a shelter to keep the dew/rain off.

A dutch oven - we love cast iron. A small pot for heating water. You can cook ANYTHING in a dutch oven and the care is super easy for cast iron. Plate/Mug/fork-knife-spoon for each person. A set of tongs (for lifting the hot dutch oven) and a largish spoon. A sharp knife. Something to hold water (empty milk jugs work fine).

If you can have campfires where you are going, bring matches. If not, then you need a cook stove of some type. Coleman makes some super-simple-to-use ones.

A change of clothes for each person and an extra pair of socks apiece.

Since neither of you has camped before, have you thought about camping in your backyard? Your kids would think it was totally awesome and you could control the circumstances a bit more.

Whatever you do, I hope you have fun ~ I have precious memories of camping with my daughters while they were growing up!

Anne

We took our kids(6,5,3,2) last year the first time, hubby and I were not big campers as kids. So......We loved it, but it was hard. A ton of stuff to take for all those kids.:001_smile: If your going put in all the work for just one night I say stay two or three. I think that with just one night it would be too much work for such a short time.

My suggestion is if you are tent camping you MUST!!!!! bring an air mattress! At least for the both of you. I did not sleep well (boy the ground is hard!) and it made for a very long weekend. But other than that we loved it and the kids loved it!

Happy camping,

Meli

I have a list I use for scouts. You won't need anywhere near everything on the list, but it may be a start.

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/Scouting/packinglist.htm

Are you camping at a family campground type of place? Or more of a wilderness thing? I suggest the former, for your first time out. (After the backyard test-run!)

I can assure you we will not do any kind of camping that includes the word "wilderness." :D

Since neither of you has camped before, have you thought about camping in your backyard? Your kids would think it was totally awesome and you could control the circumstances a bit more.

Whatever you do, I hope you have fun ~ I have precious memories of camping with my daughters while they were growing up!

Anne

I definitely like that idea, though I wonder if it would be too loud...we live in an urban neighborhood. On a busy corner.

WHen I first read the title I read what is the minimum "staff" needed for camping- I immediately thought, you haven't camped much have you? And then...oh, a chef and someone to put the tent up would be nice!

A change of clothes, walking shoes, tent, mattresses, sleeping bags, food, matches, water, toiletries. I have just been camping for 4 days last week. My tent broke so i slept under the stars- it was beautiful.

We took our kids(6,5,3,2) last year the first time, hubby and I were not big campers as kids. So......We loved it, but it was hard. A ton of stuff to take for all those kids.:001_smile: If your going put in all the work for just one night I say stay two or three. I think that with just one night it would be too much work for such a short time.
:iagree::iagree:

I would never camp for just one night (well, I have, but it was on the way somewhere, so it was just evening through early the next morning when we left, and it was just my friend and I. With all the paraphernalia that I'd normally bring on a camping trip--a trip that is for the enjoyment of camping, hanging around at the campsite, etc--more than one night, for sure. The hassle of setting up the tent alone (we have a huge tent), would break the deal for me for a one night trip. With all our gear, (that tent, mostly), I prefer several nights.

List:

tent

tarp

sleeping bags/sheets/light blankets (sheets and blankets are better in warm weather)

laundry stuff--detergent, fabric softener, quarters (just in case!)

bug spray

sunscreen

bathroom stuff--toothbrushes, toothpaste, contact lens stuff, medicine, shampoo, etc...

bath towels, washcloths, kitchen towels, kitchen washcloth, dish scrubber

plastic tubs for washing dishes

pots and pans that can be used over a fire

grill like this to put over the campfire

cooking utensils, serving/mixing spoons, spatulas

hotpads/oven mitts

matches

newspaper

old gardening gloves for handling firewood

disposable plates, plasticware

paper towel

zip bags, foil, plastic wrap, etc...

bowls for food prep

coolers

sharp knives and cutting board

clothing

what a fabulous thing that you are going to try it!!!

it is one of our favorite things!

our kids love to camp. one of the things they love is 'camping food'. things like the popcorn in the tinfoil pan that you pop over a camp fire, some mores (melt marshmallow on a stick over the fire, put it between two graham crackers with a slice of chocolate on one of them ; ). our first meal camping is often hotdogs on a stick cooked over the fire. they just love it.

they also love the 'camping only' activities. each time dh comes up with something new or a new variation on something old. they love frisbees, bubbles, kites, inflatable rings for playing in water.....

things that make or break it for me:

1) a tent that doesn't flap in the wind and isn't too huge or clumsy or hard to put up. ie. we put our money into our tent.... prefering a 3-4 season dome tent ...

2) i don't like air mattresses - one hole and its no fun. we use one layer of foamies, and one layer of thermarest pads... one for each person

3) sleeping bags that match the temperature of where you are going.

4) food that is not complicated. for car camping, we take canned beef stew and instant mashed potatoes, canned mini raviolis, etc. things that dh heats in a pot and we eat it. we make pancakes in the mornings. we bought no stick pots. soooo worth it1

i could write forever. just have fun!

ann

For your first camping expedition, I'd recommend doing something a bit easier than tent camping. State parks often have rustic cabins, or ones with many creature comforts, for rent by the night. You could easily do a weekend or more in one of these so you can get a gentle introduction to camping. You can all bring sleeping bags, or make up your own bed rolls. You can plan to make most or all of your meals over the campfire or you can use the assist of the cabin stove. It will give you the outdoor experience without having to put a lot into equipment before you know whether it's something your family enjoys. :)

Camp somewhere close to home - no more than a 45 minute drive.

Plan for as much "prepare ahead/convenience food" meals as possible - at least until you have your camping feet wet. Lots of options here - sandwiches/chips/fruit, donuts/pastires/juice, etc. For campfire meals, stick to hot dogs and marshmallows on sticks. Bring your own sticks (you may not find any on the ground.) Use paper plates and cups that you can burn and make meals as finger friendly as possible (to cut down on stuff you have to bring.)

You will probably want to store your food/cooler in your car at night. Haul all trash away from your campsite (to park dumpsters) before you go to bed.

Bring water - buy the giant spigot-type waters from Kroger/Walmart. Freeze bottles of water and use them as ice for your cooler.

As boy scouts will tell you, pj's are comfy but not necessary unless you are horrified at the notion of sleeping in your clothes.

Bring:

Bandaids, paper towels, and baby wipes.

Tent, air mattresses, sleeping bags or blankets/quilts and pillows.

Cooler w/food & water.

Box or another cooler with dry goods.

Matches, firestarters (paper towel/tissue rolls stuffed w/dryer lint or paper)

I like to bring a table cover for the picnic tables.

bug repellant

camp chairs

old towels and duct tape (you never know when you'll need some :))

rope

Flashlights, lanterns, glowsticks (make great night-lights!)

Money. Most parks have a convenience store nearby - don't be afraid to use it :).

Have fun!

Edited by Susan in TN

For the bare minimum, I would say tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags and/or blankets--it can be a lot colder than you may think. Clothes, toiletries, etc. You should know what your cooking facilities are like. Dogs on a stick are the easiest to do. But for the first time, you may just want to go to the campground's cafe. ;) Not worry about the cooking so much.

We camp a lot. We usually go with a tent that has is two or three more people than we have. (there are four of us, so I like a six to eight man tent.) When you look on the diagrams, you'll see they really sandwich the people in there. Is there some place you can rent from to get a feel for it? Someone who has equipment you can borrow?

The National Parks are great places to try out camping, if you have one near by. Camping is also a cheap way to travel--the first part of our summer vacation last year never cost more than $50 a night, more often it was down around $20. Now that I think about it, find your local KOA and start there! They usually have cabins, tent spaces and RV lots. Some are fully equpped resorts.

Have fun!

Let's see...what do I have in our camping totes...

Camp stove

Cast iron pan

Cast iron dutch oven

Large pot with steamer

Heavy duty oven mitts

Hot dog forks ( splurge and get the really long ones with wooden handles...the short ones are useless)

Tinfoil

Freezer bags (quart and gallon)

Spatula, turner, serving spoons

Plastic utensils

Plastic plates and bowls

Matches

Camp shovel

Multi tool

Army knife

Rain ponchos

Thermal blankets

Toilet paper

Box of wipes (if they dry out between use just add some water)

Hand sanitizer

Dish soap

Dish towels

Two wash basins

Paper towels

Trash bags (large and small)

Old beach towels

A couple throw rugs with rubber backing to put just outside the tent

Bugspray

Sunscreen

First Aid kit

Deck of cards, drawing paper and colored pencils, dominoes

Butterfly nets, jars for bugs, magnifying glass

Sleeping bags (we have cold weather and hot weather bags)

Small travel pillows rolled up in the sleeping bags

Small throws rolled up in the sleeping bags

A tote large enough to hold everyone's shoes (we pack other things in this (usually the rugs and thermal blankets) but when we get to the campsite it gets emptied and everyone puts their shoes in it BEFORE going into the tent. I hate, hate, hate dirt and debri in my tent:D)

Small hand broom and dust pan (because someone always tracks some dirt into my tent:tongue_smilie:)

Camp chairs

Tents

Good quality coolers (medium and large)

Lanterns and flashlights

We have a camp potty and a camp shower too but rarely take those.

We don't take all of this stuff if we are just camping overnight or for two nights. The only time I take everything is when we camp for almost a week. I keep everything organized in totes so that we can just grab the totes I need and go.

Definitely take extra clothes (beyond what you think you will need) and if your camping when its cool wear layered sleeping clothes. Don't forget your camera too! Hmmm...you've made me want to go camping now...have a great time!

Find a park in Tennessee:

http://tn.gov/environment/parks/findapark/

Helpful Info:

http://tn.gov/environment/parks/fees.shtml

Someone (here) told me you can RENT tents from REI to see if it is for you - AND sleeping bags, mats, etc. I don't know if they are in your area or not?

If we can pull off tent camping, anyone can!

We make "hobos" at least one night. They are a patty of hamburger, half cooked sliced of potatoes, corn, misc veggies like onions or mushrooms and wrapped in tin foil. They can go right into the coals to cook - no fancy equipment needed. Hotdogs on sticks don't require an investment either. If your park has grills you can just utilize those as well. Check online or by calling, they'll have wood available there for a fire most likely. Take water.

You need something to sleep on and something to cook with... And something to do. Bring a frisbee, stuff for S'mores and take a nature walk. You'll LOVE it all.

(And bug spray if you have bugs in Tennessee, lol.)

Depends on how cold it gets where you are - here we need sleeping bags this time of year. If you are getting 60+ degree nights, you can make do with blankets.

A tent - or a couple of blue plastic tarps with rope to make a shelter to keep the dew/rain off.

A dutch oven - we love cast iron. A small pot for heating water. You can cook ANYTHING in a dutch oven and the care is super easy for cast iron. Plate/Mug/fork-knife-spoon for each person. A set of tongs (for lifting the hot dutch oven) and a largish spoon. A sharp knife. Something to hold water (empty milk jugs work fine).

If you can have campfires where you are going, bring matches. If not, then you need a cook stove of some type. Coleman makes some super-simple-to-use ones.

A change of clothes for each person and an extra pair of socks apiece.

I second this list however, if you don't have a dutch oven, some foil or thos e cool foil bags can be used over a campfire to make packets of food (we stick in chicken with some veggies and potatoes then add lemon and Italian dressing for an easy meal with easy clean-up). Add a cooler for food.

You will also need the ingredients for s'mores. We don't go camping without them.

Edited by Donna
can't spell this morning.

When we go camping we take:

1 sleeping bag per person

1 air mattress per person

1 tent per family

1 plate per person

1 bowl per person

1 spoon & fork per person

1 cup or water bottle per person

1 flashlight per person

1 Towel per person

1 set of swim gear {bathers} per person

1 set of pjs per person

1 set of clothes per day we'll be gone per person

Bug spray

Sunscreen

sunhats

2 books {usually mine & one to read aloud to the kids as they fall asleep}

card games {lighter packing}

first aid kit {just in case}

picnic blanket or camping chairs {I can't let my bare skin touch grass due to massive allergies}

empty zip bags in large sizes {they handle wet items without getting everything else soiled.. ie, I tend to bring a couple of washing clothes for washing up at night.. I can slap them in the baggie if I can't hang them up to dry}

Food

We take our bikes occasionally, but usually when we go camping we tend to hike or play on the beach most of the day. At night we watch the stars and the night life coming out to play. We love playing games as well.

Most of our summer has fire bans so pit fires aren't happening which often means no gathering round the camp fire late at night and singing or toasting snacks. ;) We make due, and when we can have a bonfire we do!

All that said, if you camp regularly you can have Rubbermaid totes designated with the camp gear in it which makes packing really simple. I'm all for a trailer tent which would make it even quicker! :D

1. a tent that's easy to set up - My 12yo, 15yo, and I can set up our current tent in less than 15 minutes. Our old tent took about 45 minutes to set up because it was so hard to get the poles to do what they were supposed to do.

2. air mattresses with pumps designed for them (and make sure the pumps are fully charged before you leave) - These make all the difference in the world when you're trying to sleep. I have two queen-sized air mattresses. I get one and my 12yo and 15yo get the other. My dh and my 18yo would prefer to never camp again ever.

3. cooler packed with food for you to cook and with things that you don't have to cook. We leave the cooler in the car because it can attract raccoons.

4. propane stove - Ours is over 20yo now and it still works great. When we went camping last month there was a fire ban and they didn't even allow the grills that were at the campsites. If I hadn't had the propane stove, we wouldn't have been allowed to cook at all.

5. camping cookware - Ours is over 20yo now. It isn't nearly as nice as the one I'm linking below. Ours only has 4 of everything (but we bought it before kids).

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Country-Weekender-6-Person-Cook/dp/B00028XQHY/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1305120954&sr=1-12

6. matches and a firestarter and charcoal (if you plan on grilling)

7. plenty of water - I always take two cases even though we usually have one or two bottles left from the 1st case at the end of a trip. I don't mind having extra water.

WHen I first read the title I read what is the minimum "staff" needed for camping- I immediately thought, you haven't camped much have you? And then...oh, a chef and someone to put the tent up would be nice!

A change of clothes, walking shoes, tent, mattresses, sleeping bags, food, matches, water, toiletries. I have just been camping for 4 days last week. My tent broke so i slept under the stars- it was beautiful.

camping that included staff would be my kind of camping!! ;)

Camp somewhere close to home - no more than a 45 minute drive.

Plan for as much "prepare ahead/convenience food" meals as possible - at least until you have your camping feet wet. Lots of options here - sandwiches/chips/fruit, donuts/pastires/juice, etc. For campfire meals, stick to hot dogs and marshmallows on sticks. Bring your own sticks (you may not find any on the ground.) Use paper plates and cups that you can burn and make meals as finger friendly as possible (to cut down on stuff you have to bring.)

You will probably want to store your food/cooler in your car at night. Haul all trash away from your campsite (to park dumpsters) before you go to bed.

Bring water - buy the giant spigot-type waters from Kroger/Walmart. Freeze bottles of water and use them as ice for your cooler.

As boy scouts will tell you, pj's are comfy but not necessary unless you are horrified at the notion of sleeping in your clothes.

Bring:

Bandaids, paper towels, and baby wipes.

Tent, air mattresses, sleeping bags or blankets/quilts and pillows.

Cooler w/food & water.

Box or another cooler with dry goods.

Matches, firestarters (paper towel/tissue rolls stuffed w/dryer lint or paper)

I like to bring a table cover for the picnic tables.

bug repellant

camp chairs

old towels and duct tape (you never know when you'll need some :))

rope

Flashlights, lanterns, glowsticks (make great night-lights!)

Money. Most parks have a convenience store nearby - don't be afraid to use it :).

Have fun!

Hey Susan in TN--I am also in TN. Can you recommend any lovely camping sites? I'm in Nashville.

Our best camping investment was a tiny gas stove - the one we have actually uses a flamable liquid, but one with a mini gas cylinder is fine (the cylinders don't make it through airport security, which is why we changed to the other type). It's great to be able to make hot coffee quickly, or one pot meals if the day has not gone well ;-)

Otherwise, the less, the better. Our best trips where when we had a tiny 4x4, and couldn't take much stuff. In fact, for years we slept under a shade gazebo instead of a tent - we would attach three sides to it at night to protect us from the wind, but could still look out at the sky. For the type of camping we've done (mostly 2-3 night beach camping) we didn't even buy sleeping bags - we'd just shove our normal bedding in the car. If it's a sandy camping site, take a broom or brush to get sand out the tent - sand in the bed is not fun!

We used the camp stove to heat water for washing dishes. We used the same for heating water to wash ourselves (usually a "shower" out of a large soft-drink bottle).

Edited by nd293

Hey Susan in TN--I am also in TN. Can you recommend any lovely camping sites? I'm in Nashville.

We loved Fall Creek Falls - it's a beautiful area with lots of nice hiking trails. Our campsite was near a playground.

Montgomery Bell State Park is also lovely and closer to Nashville. I haven't camped there, but I've been to the conference center.

Big South Fork National Park has some breathtaking scenery. My son went on a trail ride weekend there and said it was great.

We've camped at Henry Horton State Park also, but I don't really remember there being anything particularly interesting about it. I think I was pregnant at the time, so that may color my memory of the place a bit :).

These are the only parks in TN we've camped in, aside from Boy Scout facilities. The state and national parks here have good, well-kept facilities.

P.S. For washing, you can use 2 heavy duty rubber tubs (1 for soapy water, 1 for rinsing) and a kettle for heating water. We usually bring a coleman stove with us, but you could heat water over the fire, too. Most areas will have a place where you can fill containers with water; some will have water at every campsite.

Can I mention glow sticks again? These have been especially great for our kids - much easier to keep an eye them on when it is dark, and keeps them feeling more comfortable in the dark tent.