Menu

Would you address the author of a curriculum if....

Let's say something in a textbook bothered you immensely. Let's say it is a personal belief, but it was worded in a condescending manner. And let's say it is in a Christian text and while you know some Christians hold that belief, not all do.

Okay, so would you send the author a kind email pointing it out and asking if they could reword it maybe more kindly?

I realize this sounds as if I'm being overly sensitive, and maybe I am, but if I had planned to continue on with this curriculum (I'm not for other reasons) and then saw this, I would have decided against buying it for next year.

I want the author to realize others may feel this way as well because while I don't know how common the belief is, I've never met other Christians who believed this until I joined this board.

Some of you may be able to figure out what text I'm speaking of, but while the text doesn't really fit my style, I think it really is a great textbook. Not for me, but it is good at what it sets out to do. So, I'm not intending to bash the textbook or the author. Just something that really bugged me ever since I read it.

Thanks.

Yes, I'd respectfully send an email if I could find an address. I rarely write if snail mail is the only option, but have been known to send a couple of actual letters if the issue is important enough to me (e.g. the heads of medical institutions). I always write only from "my" perspective or "a reader's" perspective (or a "user's" perspective to service providers). This is a perspective that they can never fully know.

I often receive replies to letters, showing that my input was valued. I even give heads-up about typos, if I happen to be at the keyboard when it's fresh in my mind. I'm a book person and all for contributing to the excellence of books :)

Some folks never answer or say that they already knew of my concern and fixed it or tell me they don't agree. If that won't hurt your feelings, then I'd do it.

Julie

No.

"Respectful" or not, your comments would probably not cause the author to change anything. He probably thought long and hard about how to write what he did, and he beleived what he wrote. He is entitled to his POV, just as you're entitled to yours, and to disagree with his. And he may be getting other comments that agree with his, the way that the sound guy at church gets an equal number of comments from people who say the sound was great and from those who say it was too loud/too soft/too bass-y/not bass-y enough.

If you like the product enough, use it and tweak it. If not, use something else. :-)

If you're talking about a science text, I probably would not. Those debates are endless with much conviction on all sides. I also agree with Ellie, as the person probably dealt with his/her perception while writing. Another issue is that even if they wanted to reword a passage, it could be near impossible unless they're revising the whole text.

If you feel the need to address the issue, I would write a letter outlining your concerns. Discuss your own beliefs and how the passage made you feel.

I have no clue what text you are referring too but I wouldn't send comments about personal opinions expressed in a book. Firstly, most authors have no say as to when a revision will occur and probably wouldn't change just from a few letters even if they did have this authority. It could be a good exercise in writing an opinion paper but just a waste of time and effort to send it to an author. THe publisher might be interested if enough folks complained!

No.

"Respectful" or not, your comments would probably not cause the author to change anything. He probably thought long and hard about how to write what he did, and he beleived what he wrote. He is entitled to his POV, just as you're entitled to yours, and to disagree with his. And he may be getting other comments that agree with his, the way that the sound guy at church gets an equal number of comments from people who say the sound was great and from those who say it was too loud/too soft/too bass-y/not bass-y enough.

If you like the product enough, use it and tweak it. If not, use something else. :-)

:iagree:

And I've been around the sun enough times to know I'm going to find something I disagree with in almost any textbook whether Christian or not. Personally, I've found it's good to read/teach from texts I disagree with at times as it can bring up great conversations about why we believe/do what we do instead of what is in the text while at the same time showing that other intelligent people can disagree.

There are some beefs I have where I would not be using the text IF I could choose something else, but right now, that's limited to what our ps uses for math. Today we've been giving our state's new tests. The fact that our texts tend to use different terminology and methods than is "normal" sure isn't helping the kids. But, I've no plans to e-mail the author as it honestly wouldn't do any good. They like their method.

Interestingly enough, I'm 99% certain I know which author/text you are talking about and my current 9th grade student is taking the new state Bio test. He told me yesterday that the text you don't care for prepared him better for the test than the school's choice (Glencoe). He's been reading both since he's a Bio aficionado and enjoys it. Today was day 2 of the Bio test, but he's not home yet to ask if he still feels that way. Both the kids and the teachers at school felt the test was difficult and the students won't do well. My guy said the test was easy. A GOOD PART of that will be due to his loving Bio and doing more than the school requires, but still... those were the only two textbooks he's read.

I'm pretty sure what text you are talking about and I'm also pretty sure that the author will not change his/her opinion. BUT, if it's who I think it is, he/she may welcome a chance to change how you think about this particular topic. :) All that said, changing the text (or ignoring those portions that pertain to said topic) is easier and will involve less time. Maybe you need to talk this out though with the author. That's something you will have to decide.

:iagree:

And I've been around the sun enough times to know I'm going to find something I disagree with in almost any textbook whether Christian or not. Personally, I've found it's good to read/teach from texts I disagree with at times as it can bring up great conversations about why we believe/do what we do instead of what is in the text while at the same time showing that other intelligent people can disagree.

There are some beefs I have where I would not be using the text IF I could choose something else, but right now, that's limited to what our ps uses for math. Today we've been giving our state's new tests. The fact that our texts tend to use different terminology and methods than is "normal" sure isn't helping the kids. But, I've no plans to e-mail the author as it honestly wouldn't do any good. They like their method.

Interestingly enough, I'm 99% certain I know which author/text you are talking about and my current 9th grade student is taking the new state Bio test. He told me yesterday that the text you don't care for prepared him better for the test than the school's choice (Glencoe). He's been reading both since he's a Bio aficionado and enjoys it. Today was day 2 of the Bio test, but he's not home yet to ask if he still feels that way. Both the kids and the teachers at school felt the test was difficult and the students won't do well. My guy said the test was easy. A GOOD PART of that will be due to his loving Bio and doing more than the school requires, but still... those were the only two textbooks he's read.

It isn't a Biology text.

I do see what you and others are saying though.

Having written several books, I will say that as an author I do like to hear people's comments. First, it is nice to know that someone actually read what I wrote. :001_smile: There have been times that people have pointed out an error. Other times, I have realized that although there wasn't an error, the way something was expressed lead to some confusion. However, I have not always changed something just because a reader wanted me to.

I'm pretty sure what text you are talking about and I'm also pretty sure that the author will not change his/her opinion. BUT, if it's who I think it is, he/she may welcome a chance to change how you think about this particular topic. :) All that said, changing the text (or ignoring those portions that pertain to said topic) is easier and will involve less time. Maybe you need to talk this out though with the author. That's something you will have to decide.

It isn't the point of view that bothers me. We could both argue our point until we were blue in the face.

It is the way it was stated and I don't want to go into too much detail as I don't want to flame the author or their character. I'm sure they are a very nice person. And their text is more than good enough. It is just the way they stated something that rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe I'll just give them a heads up as to how it came across and let them explain what they meant.

It isn't the point of view that bothers me. We could both argue our point until we were blue in the face.

It is the way it was stated and I don't want to go into too much detail as I don't want to flame the author or their character. I'm sure they are a very nice person. And their text is more than good enough. It is just the way they stated something that rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe I'll just give them a heads up as to how it came across and let them explain what they meant.

Sounds like a good decision! Geez, I thought I was such a smarty and had it all figured out which text this is. :D ha-ha....not!

I must say you are a very mature young lady in how you are handling this. I'm sure the author would love to hear your point of view on what he/she wrote; there's always a possible 'revised' edition to consider. :)

"Respectful" or not, your comments would probably not cause the author to change anything.

I agree. If it's a matter of opinion, the author is unlikely to change theirs. If it is just a matter of "wording something differently", they may consider a revision.

I'm pretty sure I know which author you are talking about. All of the texts by that author contain the same condescending tone. In some of the texts it is so prevalent that the implication is that if you do not accept that as the only possible correct view than you are, well, to put politely, completely wrong.

I don't think your writing a letter will make any impact at all. We simply made the determination to reject those texts as options in our home.

FWIW, I applaud you for wanting to be proactive. :001_smile:

I have no idea what book, author, or belief you're talking about - but I'd say go ahead & write the letter if you want… even if it doesn't change anything, it's still great practice in letter writing, approaching conflict, standing up against something that you believe is wrong, etc etc. :)

I too have no idea what book or author you are talking about, but totally agreeing with some pp's who say go ahead and express your opinion! Especially since you, the student, are the targeted audience for the book obviously! My thoughts about things like that are that even if your one letter will not get the author to change anything----shying away from expressing and voicing your opinion is not necessary. Authors do need feedback and you never know when your one letter might change something ;)

I would consider it, but I would pray about it, word it very carefully, and think about it for a couple days before sending it. It's important to remember that email is forever. Your note might be published, or excerpts from it published--think about that from all angles before you finalize it.

If you're criticizing tone more than content, make sure that you show an alternate wording example that demonstrates what you are asking for.

Realize that this might not do any obvous good, but that sincere people sometimes listen to things like this long after the fact and perhaps you have planted a good seed.