Menu

which subjects do you spend the most money on?

Hunter

This is an offshoot of the Cozy Grammar thread.

Which subjects do you spend the most money on? I've noticed people will spend large amounts of money on a core curriculum, that teaches almost nothing and then requires large amounts of supplemental books for every subject. I've seen huge amounts spent on math and sciences. I've seen untold amounts dribbled away on literature, history, art, music, etc. People are willing to spend large amounts of money on a phonics program, but not on spelling, even if we are talking about the very same curriculum.

Spelling, grammar and handwriting seem to be subjects that people have a hard time spending money on individually; but they will spend more money on language arts in general and writing, if they include these subjects :-0 So they will spend $300.00 on a video language arts curriculum, but not $100.00 on a multiyear grammar curriculum.

In the past I would have NEVER spent $100.00 on grammar, but thought nothing of spending $200.00 on his calculus curriculum, despite the fact that my child was below grade level in grammar and far above grade level in math.

I'm self-educating now...so I think differently. There is no rush or keeping up with the Jonses and...well...it's just different; so I question things now, that I just took for granted in the past.

Why do we think grammar, spelling and handwriting should be cheap? Why do we devote so much money to math and science and history/literature spines?

Which subjects do you spend the most money on?

We spend the most money on foreign language instruction because we can not achieve fluency without a human tutor.

Why do we think grammar, spelling and handwriting should be cheap? Why do we devote so much money to math and science and history/literature spines?

I am willing to spend money on subjects where I need to pay an expert for expertise to make sure that my kids are taught well (through book, online course or live). If I could not instruct my kids in sciences or math myself, I would definitely spend the necessary money.

Actually, even though I would be competent to teach math, I am using curriculum because I have no idea about math didactics and it was not cost effective for me to develop my own teaching materials (tried for a few months- not worth my time if great math texts exist).

I also spent money on Teaching company lectures on various topics of ancient Greece and Rome - because, not being a classical scholar myself, I need a classical scholar's expertise.

OTOH, for subjects that I can teach myself without the help of products, I do not consider it necessary to spend large sums of money. For subjects that can be taught just fine with inexpensive workbooks or free online resources I see no point in spending money.

(And as far as grammar is concerned: since my kids use grammar correctly, they will at some point do quick run through formal grammar with a single book which will cost a few bucks.)

I spend more on piano lessons (per year) for my boys than on all of the other curriculum combined.

The next largest expense is our SL Core, but that includes all of the literature, history and readers. It is worth the expense to me. It will also be reused for youngest dd. The grammar, writing and math programs we use are not overly expensive, IMO. I reuse the textbooks/teacher's manuals for all programs for three kids, which cuts down on the expense a great deal.

I just signed my boys up for co op classes next year. For two semesters of Apologia science and two semesters of Prima Latina for two kids, I paid about $260.

Hmmm... For me it might be more complicated than just "which subjects."

At this time, I think I'm spending the least on geography, followed by spelling, then math, and then science. History and LA are the big money sucks for me.

I don't think it's really that history and LA are more important to me, it's that I have found things in those areas that closely approximate what I'm looking for and they also happen to be expensive. If Apples and Pears spelling cost more, I would probably still buy it. (Don't let them find that out though!)

I would say I'm willing to pay more for a curriculum if I can't find anything similar enough to it that costs less. That is how I feel about Oak Meadow. Egads, it is expensive! I don't see an alternative though, that is just like it, minus the cost. Same goes for MCT. Wow! That's a lot of money to pay for an LA curriculum that I have to supplement. But is there an alternative that is just as beautiful, creative, rigorous, and equal in terms of ease of implementation? I don't see it, so I pay way too much for LA.

I am spending a fortune on chemistry for next year, but the vast majority of that is lab equipment and chemicals. I spend a lot on math (ALEKS) to escape grading, because I think timely feedback is very important. I spend little on math textbooks because I am fond of ones I get get inexpensively used. I spent more on grammar for next year because my kids are consistently scoring lower than I like, so clearly I need help managing the continuous review they need.

Essentially, I find that texts are not difficult to get cheaply used (nor are they hard to schedule), but full programs are more so if I need more help with review and testing. Computer grading is pretty expensive and lab equipment and supplies very very expensive.

I do track my HS expenditures. If I average the past four years (not counting stuff for next school year as I'm not done buying yet and it would skew the data), the average of LA & History are within one dollar of each other, science is much cheaper, and math is the most expensive.

Math included a lot of manipulatives and some of what I buy is consumable (workbooks) where the LA is mostly non-consumable & reusable for multiple kids.

With any curriculum, I look at the value for the money & what it is worth to me. I look for re-usability with multiple kids and flexibility because so far all my kids learn in different ways.

I don't know if it is a "good buy" until later. Ultimately, if it works for us & gets done, I consider it a good buy. I've spent small change on things that I later kick myself for. I've spent larger amounts and been extremely happy with them. (This is true of real books and curriculum both.)

I think that is not bad for math. You are essentially getting the texts and related materials as well as a tutor/teacher. I found that science and math were my largest purchases in highschool.

However, in elementary, I would say that language arts and history (living books and related literature studies) are the runners for the most expensive.

Perhaps it is based on the quality of the program or the options chosen for a particluar study? Sometimes a child may need a more rigorous approach or a parent may want something very guided/scripted. We all differ in our strength and weakness; our children will vary too. For the most part, the cost is dependent on the choice. The choice is a decision based on skill, comfort, and ability (to teach and to learn). Another large factor is the type of resource or availability of the resource in various formats. A textbook will cost more than a pdf for instance.

We tend to seek out college level material for highschool. This will increase the cost too.:001_smile:

In the past, I know I have gotten it stuck in my head, that some things are supposed to be cheap, because I am inundated by cheap examples of the item.

For example cheap shoes are everywhere, so I thought $150.00 shoes were lavish and silly. That is until I filed for divorce, fled and ended out homeless during the middle of the winter, often walking 10 miles a day in the snow. I bought a pair of $150.00 hiking boots and...have never looked at shoes the same way again :-0 What was I thinking all those years???? If you buy good shoes, they empower you to walk farther. What is empowerment worth?

So now as I'm looking at curricula, I'm having to ask myself, "what will this item do for me?" In the past, I would have compared it's price to the other items presented next to it in the catalog, to determine it's worth.

I have spent the most money on FIAR and the books that went with it. I guess this would count as language arts, but it encompasses more than that.

Then science, because I bought some Magic School Bus kits and will sign dd up for a homeschool science class next year.

Then phonics and grammar--ETC workbooks and FLL.

The least amount was math, because I got the Math Mammoth program for K-6 during the last co-op deal, so it ended up being about $10 a year.

By far though, the most money goes to extracurriculars--dance, swim, etc.

Math. I create my own curriculum for history and science. For reading, I'm using free McDuffey readers. We don't do formal grammar, but when we do, we will use vintage books. I was using my own math, but my son was always asking for more math, so I went ahead and went with Singapore.

I do not base my choices on cost or hype that I see at times over certain curricula. I base my choices on what I feel will give me value for my money. Quality is my main focus and whether my purchase will give my kids what I want (meet the goals I have set and constantly re-evaluate). This does not always refer to a curriculum but may be a choice of resources or materials like for example a microscope we will be investing in this year.

Funny you should mention cost though, I just went over my order for next year and it seems pretty balanced between subjects. Also, I would have to disagree with you about the Core choices giving kids almost nothing. I guess it all depends on the Core and while I cannot speak for others, TOG definitely is worth the cost in our home :).

For me I would prefer the cheaper option if we will be happy with it, ie gets done, thorough, quality program etc. We're very happy with BSFU and it's been cheap for the materials and the 1st book with 3 years of instruction. My first preference for math would be Singapore, but we use MM because I am satisfied with the quality and it's cheaper. I couldn't find anything I felt was the right fit for us for English LA until PR. So I spent a ton on it since I feel it's better for us and couldn't find a cheaper option that fit. Rosetta Stone is from our K12 charter so it's free thank goodness!

I spend between $300 and $400 a year for my ds. I don't think curriculum needs to cost a TON of money to be effective. I look for deals on what I can (buying used, in good condition when possible). However, I use Saxon math and I've always only spent about $60. For science, I only spend about $40. History, grammar, English, and Latin are normally around $50/$60. Spelling is about $20, and handwriting I only used up until 2nd grade (once my kids were done with cursive - I used HWOT for one year). There are a few other things that I buy for school (resource books, etc.), but if I buy it, it does not go to waste.

I get to RE-use all my books for my ds6 (with the exception of a few workbooks). I don't know - I think that is fairly inexpensive for school.

So now as I'm looking at curricula, I'm having to ask myself, "what will this item do for me?" In the past, I would have compared it's price to the other items presented next to it in the catalog, to determine it's worth.

Part of what a boxed curriculum does for me is give me time...time that I would need to plan otherwise. I have two part time jobs in addition to homeschooling. Time is a valuable commodity. That is an intangible - and the benefit is for me and not my dc. However, it benefits us all in the end. We are also very happy with the curriculum so I am content to pay for the real books and someone else to schedule it all and put it together cohesively for me.

I don't think curriculum needs to cost a TON of money to be effective.

I think everyone here would agree with that sentiment. The problem is that sometimes the only curriculum that is effective for a particular child does cost a ton of money. Does it have to? Well, no, of course not, but if it does, and if that's the only one that you've found that works for your kid, that's what you stick with. :)

I guess we are spending the most on LA and math. Our LA program (Phonics Road) is the most expensive thing we use, but we supplement math a LOT, so I have multiple math curricula and that costs a bit.

Also, I would have to disagree with you about the Core choices giving kids almost nothing. I guess it all depends on the Core and while I cannot speak for others, TOG definitely is worth the cost in our home :).

I adore my SOW core. When homeswchooling my boys, I had to create our own Bible unit studies instead of using SOW which I so desperately wanted. But, as much as I love SOW...if I was dead broke again and had a fire and had only $400.00 for the year...I don't think I would spend the $400.00 on replacing my core. I think I'd wing the core and spend my money on things that drilled skills. It's hard to know till it happens though :-0 SOW gives me warm fuzzies :-)

I do know that I wouldn't spend very limited funds like I did years ago though. Back then I spent most of my money on drilling skills, but I definately judged an item by the prices of other most common curricula available for that subject. I couldn't see past that. And I was so influenced by the PS scope and sequence and fears about college that turned out to be unapplicable and untrue.

Buying Cozy Grammar has been such an interesting experience, that goes much farther than grammar :-0 It's just made me aware of some things I hadn't been paying much attention to :-0

I spend the most money on All About Spelling. When you add up the different levels it really adds up and seems crazy, but I also know that for my child this has been worth every penny. It has cemented the rules for spelling and had the largest impact on his reading as well, so it is worth it, but still makes me cringe when I think about it.

But I guess it is also perception as you mentioned. I didn't even blink when I decided to buy Teaching Textbooks for both boys. But since that is math and one of the 3R's I shrugged it off.

Dance. My DD was doing 4 classes a week of various kinds (dance and tumbling) last year, which came to about $120/month-and I consider that well worth it because it's benefiting her SO much-physically, emotionally, and I think even neurologically.

Music would be near the top as well, except that her piano teacher and I trade kids for piano lessons-I teach her 12 yr old, and she teaches my 6 yr old-and both girls do better with someone else.

In academics, the largest single expense is Discovery Education, but it's used for so many academic areas that I'm not sure how to divide it. Latin for Children is probably the 2nd highest, because I really need the DVDs/CDs for that one.

Sonlight really isn't all that expensive for me-I get most of the books from the library used booksales at $.25-$1.00 each, or from the library, and this year, I was able to get the few books that I couldn't get that way via Ebay.

I see a few people are counting outside activities. If we're doing that, then gymnastics and piano lessons cost much more than anything else. However, even if my child were in school, she'd still be doing those things, so I don't know if those really count as a home schooling expense.

I think everyone here would agree with that sentiment. The problem is that sometimes the only curriculum that is effective for a particular child does cost a ton of money. Does it have to? Well, no, of course not, but if it does, and if that's the only one that you've found that works for your kid, that's what you stick with. :)

I guess we are spending the most on LA and math. Our LA program (Phonics Road) is the most expensive thing we use, but we supplement math a LOT, so I have multiple math curricula and that costs a bit.

If I found a curriculum that was costly, but I knew it was the one I/we needed, I'd get it. I totally understand. So far I've lucked out, but I've got a long way to go! :001_smile:

Science, hands down, is the most expensive subject for us. We use NOEO, which is all-inclusive and a great program, but costs well over $100, about a quarter of what we spend.

This year we are reviewing the first two years of Latin, rather than going for the third year. We use LFC, which costs about $115 for the Mastery Bundle each year.

Everything else costs about $50 or less per subject. I wouldn't mind paying more for a grammar program as good as FLL, or a math program as good as Saxon, but they just happen to not cost much.

I totally spend the most on history/geography/literature - ala Sonlight. That my friend, is because I LOVE books. Really, I do :). I don't need a lot to teach grammar - just a text, but to instill a love of learning and reading in my children is to me priceless.

As a lumpsum:

1) Violins and violin lessons

2) Science equipment (we have a 'science club' and do experiments one afternoon a week, so had to buy 'mini labs' for 3 girls). Totally worth it for me as we're doing it consistently now. Now that we have everything, it will last for at least 3 years worth of weekly lessons.

3) IEW writing programs - postage is the killer

4) 2nd hand K12 Intermediate World History - again postage doubles the cost

5) SOTW book, CD's and AG as a package. The CD's have been the best value for money. My younger dd loves to listen to them.

All supplementary history, science and literature books are 2nd hand - many via bookmooch. Over the years we have built up a substantial library, so overall these would be the most expensive, but it was built up book by book, at a few Rands per purchase over time, so the sticker shock is minimal.

I have also sold books quite regularly - which then pays for more ;-)

The single most expensive program we use is Phonics Road, but it's like 5 programs in one. Science is the next most expensive due to lab supplies. Literature gets more expensive if I buy the books instead of using the library, but they get reused by younger kids. History is the least expensive because I use SOTW, HO, and my library card.

I adore my SOW core. When homeswchooling my boys, I had to create our own Bible unit studies instead of using SOW which I so desperately wanted. But, as much as I love SOW...if I was dead broke again and had a fire and had only $400.00 for the year...I don't think I would spend the $400.00 on replacing my core. I think I'd wing the core and spend my money on things that drilled skills. It's hard to know till it happens though :-0 SOW gives me warm fuzzies :-)

Circumstances definitely have a lot to do with decisions also :). I definitely agree with you on that. I do without certain things in order to get what I want for my boys. If I were in a situation like you described and only had $400, I would focus on a good children's Bible, Math and LA. I would most certainly be torn about science but for elementary I would just use the library a lot. History, literature study etc. would also have to be primarily from the library. Like you said though, you cannot easily predict what you will do in a situation unless you are living it.

I do know that I wouldn't spend very limited funds like I did years ago though. Back then I spent most of my money on drilling skills, but I definately judged an item by the prices of other most common curricula available for that subject. I couldn't see past that. And I was so influenced by the PS scope and sequence and fears about college that turned out to be unapplicable and untrue.

What I put in bold still haunts me :tongue_smilie:. Then again, I am still a new homeschooler ;).

It's funny that math and science are the most important to me (beyond basic skills in all areas), but math has been one of my cheapest subjects! I found a program that meets all my criteria, and it happened to be inexpensive and reusable. Woohoo!

For this year, my biggest expense is definitely science, but some of that is just getting some good science books on the shelf for reference purposes.

Spelling is my next expensive, because I use AAS, and need multiple levels in a year. By time we've homeschooled a school year length of time, we'll probably have used 3 levels to completion. The first two took only 3 months. So I've purchased 4 levels thus far. It's working for us though, so I keep trucking along, knowing that if I use it with all three kids, it's not much more expensive than workbooks for 3 children every year. :)

Grammar was one of my cheapest this year, if you don't count things tried and set aside. FLL1 and 2 were just under $20 combined (we did both, but could have started in 2 for about $10). It works well for us, so because of that, I have no reason to spend $100 on a grammar program. I would spend that much if I felt the child needed it, or if I liked the instruction better. I have no plans to purchase MCT (which seems expensive for grammar), because I don't feel like we need it, and the samples didn't do anything for me. What we have is fine, and we both enjoy it.

Also, anytime I look at prices, I remember what private school costs. Even if I used the most expensive programs I could find, it'd be cheaper than the tuition we were paying, that went up every year. I also think about how much the government spends on public school students - sometimes $14k!!! I'm getting a bargain educating my child for less than $1000. :)

...but to instill a love of learning and reading in my children is to me priceless.

Ahhh...I get it now. Sometimes people–maybe not even realizing why–are paying for the materials that they think will instill a love of a certain subject. Sometimes my friend Jennifer is such a wise woman :-) Or knows how to choose the words that will penetrate my thick head :-0

I think the whole AAS phenomenom is interesting. I'll bet if I had posted this question a couple years ago, the response to spending money on spelling would have been totally different. I will be very interested to see if the introduction of certain grammar curricula to the market, brings about a similar change :-0

Edited by Hunter

Math, just because the curriculum that I like is so expensive. If the curriculum that I really liked for reading, spelling, grammar, etc was as expensive as math I would buy it. To me it's not a matter of cost, unless I can't afford it ;), but a matter of is it going to work for me and my family. Sometimes the cheapest curriculum is what works out best in the end. It doesn't mean that because it has a cheap price tag that it's inferior to the million dollor ;) curriculums out there.

I see a few people are counting outside activities. If we're doing that, then gymnastics and piano lessons cost much more than anything else. However, even if my child were in school, she'd still be doing those things, so I don't know if those really count as a home schooling expense.

I count them because if my DD were in school from 8:00-3:00, I seriously doubt she'd be able to take near as many dance/music classes as she is. The fact that she's homeschooled, and that her school day is more efficiently organized lets her have the time to do the extras that she really loves.

I spent a lot on my daughter's TT math, but it's a program that works for her, so it was worth every penny. And when she was finished with that particular year's level, I re-sold the TT set for almost what I paid for it.

I also love Sonlight - we have studied 5 "gently used" history/lit Cores, and when finished with the Cores, I also am able to re-sell them for almost what I paid for them. But it is pricey to start off with....

I enjoy planning lessons and courses, so I like choosing vintage books or curricula that don't have that open-and-go convenience and then planning them out myself. Without that convenience, some subjects can cost a lot less. It really is about what works for you and your DC.

I budget the most money by far for "electives" ... dance, Suzuki music lessons, etc. Second is probably LA because even though I love free vintage books for all the different LA areas, I've bought hundreds of books for free and assigned reading. For math and science I love MM and BFSU, and both of those come to about $10 per year for the actual curricula, plus supplies. (I got MM through the HSBC group buy.) I do foresee those becoming a bigger expense at higher levels, though.

I choose the curriculum that I think will best meet our needs and inspire a love of learning regardless of price. I don't think what I spend on an individual subject indicates how much we value that subject. Right now our expenses look like this:

1. Music lessons and other extra-curricular activities

2. Sonlight Core (just history/literature/readers)

3. Science (real books and science supplies)

4. Math

5. French

6. Art and art supplies

7. Language Arts

8. Music Appreciation

I'm sure this list will look very different as my kids get older.