Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week seventeen

Happy Easter! Today is the start of week 17 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books blog - P is for Poetic Prophecy. Last week of National Poetry Month. Found a really awesome poem called The Nail. Check it out.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 16

I decided multitasking nonfiction books just doesn't work for me. After a while, realized I was having trouble writing fiction as well. Hmmm! Finally came to the realization, that fiction feeds my soul, both intellectually and imaginatively. My mantra - reading is as necessary as breathing. I've amended that - reading fiction is as necessary as breathing. It's not only an escape, but fills my brain with ideas. Non fiction - takes my brain down another path entirely. So, backing off and sticking with one non fiction book at a time.

Finished Nora Roberts "Chasing Fire" which has revived my fiction reading and given me my reading mojo back. I had been having a hard time getting into fiction lately. I lurv Roberts writing. Give me a book by her any day. Also read a new to me author M.L.N. Hanover and book #1 in her black sun's daughter series "unclean spirits." Paranormal - very well done.

I finished reading Hymn of a Tiger Mom last week. I actually really enjoyed it and found it insightful. I was also relieved as to how she ended the book, knowing her daughters had a say in it. I'm still curious to see a book by them though. I think that too would make for interesting reading. One thing the book did for me was see how many of my Asian friends must have been raised to some extent.

This week, I'm reading the King's Speech, based on the diaries of Logue. So far so good! Until the movie, I never knew any of this about George the VI.

Of course, I still have other books that I have picked up and started reading too, including the Book Thief. I never expected the fashion in which it is written, so that has taken some getting used to. I hope I can get myself into the book more and enjoy it with all its acclaim.

DS on the other hand, has really picked up the pace. Although he's not exactly reading great literature, he has been tearing through the books, almost one a day in some cases!

This week I finished:

#28 - A Brand From the Burning, by Alcyon Ruth Fleck. As I wrote last week, this was the true story of a Catholic priest who converted to Seventh-Day Adventist. It was a quick-reading, well-written, compelling story. However, I was disappointed at how suddenly the book ended. It left unanswered questions.

#29 - On the Outside Looking In, by Michael Reagan with Joe Hyams.

Currently reading a novel:

#30 - The Fortunate Calamity, by "Pansy" (Mrs. G.R. Alden). This is an old copy (c1927 and literally falling apart) that I found at the thrift store. Its' appeal was the author. Pansy was a pen name for Isabella Alden, who was the aunt of Grace Livingston Hill and who encouraged Grace in her writing. I just started it today and expect it will be like the few others I've read by Isabella. (By the way, this is another book in my long-standing huge stack that I am determined to finish)!

Although I have not officially "joined" the book club, I have been following it since the beginning of the year. I just wanted to take this glorious day to thank you ladies that recommended such books as "The Book Thief", "Sarah's Key", and "The Samurai's Garden". I have read these over the last few weeks, and no sooner do I think "Wow, this is the best book, then I would start the next one." They were all three excellent!!!

I, also, read "The Peony Pavilion" by Lisa See right before "The Samurai's Garden" so I have gotten quite an insight into Asian culture.

I am now reading "I Am Messenger" by Markus Zusak, the "Book Thief" author. I just started it, but I was intrigued by the back cover of "The Book Thief" so I requested it from the library.

Again, ladies, thank you for the recommendations: )

ReneeR

P.S. I have, also, been reading the Crispin trilogy to my daughter. Those books are excellent as well.

ReneeR

Finished "The Diviners" by Margaret Laurence (not too fond of it)

This week I'll be reading "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood.

Are you doing Canadian authors right now? (Or just Magarets?;))

Oh! Thank you! I didn't even think to look there first! (Is there an emoticon for embarrased)?
There are three blushing ones if you click on the More link under the emoticons on your right as you post. Here they are: :o :blush5: :blushing: I've used at least one of those myself before.;) I finally finished Parrot and Olivier in America today, which I have already mentioned, and will be starting something else this week.

fiction feeds my soul, both intellectually and imaginatively.

:iagree: I often enjoy non-fiction; however, I love fiction.

This week, I'm reading the King's Speech, based on the diaries of Logue. So far so good! Until the movie, I never knew any of this about George the VI.

Of course, I still have other books that I have picked up and started reading too, including the Book Thief. I never expected the fashion in which it is written, so that has taken some getting used to. I hope I can get myself into the book more and enjoy it with all its acclaim.

Please post a final review of The King's Speech when you're done w/ it. I hope you enjoy The Book Thief. I love that Death narrates.

Just started The Glass Castle

:thumbup1:

Although I have not officially "joined" the book club, I have been following it since the beginning of the year. I just wanted to take this glorious day to thank you ladies that recommended such books as "The Book Thief", "Sarah's Key", and "The Samurai's Garden".

Welcome, Renee. Please keep popping in to post! :001_smile:

As for my own reading, I'm still slowing making my way through Well-Schooled in Murder for my book club. I'm actually having a hard time getting into this story. I know murder mysteries aren't 'haha' funny, but this one has just seemed sad & grim from the beginning. I had a hard time even getting through the first 50 pages. The pace picked up a little bit after that, but it's still not something I'm chomping at the bit to read.

ETA: I also tried reading Resistance this week. It was another 'choose a book by its cover' selection. I still love the cover but just couldn't get into the story (or stories).

Books read in 2011:

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

People Die

Three Ways to Capsize a Boat

The Perfect Man

The Abyssinian

Food Rules

Empress Orchid

Sister Pelagia and the Red Cockerel

A Voyage Long and Strange

All the Names

When We Were Orphans

Her Fearful Symmetry

Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun

The Guinea Pig Diaries

13, rue ThĂƒÂ©rĂƒÂ¨se

The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno

Twelve Fingers

Fatu-Hiva

Apartment Therapy

Haroun and the Sea of Stories

The Broom of the System

Edited by Stacia

16. Terence, Phormio & Other Plays. Betty Radice, Tr.

This should have taken two days, not two weeks, but this has been a crazy Passiontide and I just haven't been reading.

I've never before read any Roman comedy. All I knew was its reputation for being weak and crude compared to the exquisite Greek comedy which it generally copied. Well I must be a vulgarian, then, because I thought these plays were just hilarious.

NB: The link is to the more recent Penguin edition, which includes all of Terence's comedies.

Finally came to the realization, that fiction feeds my soul, both intellectually and imaginatively. My mantra - reading is as necessary as breathing. I've amended that - reading fiction is as necessary as breathing. It's not only an escape, but fills my brain with ideas. Non fiction - takes my brain down another path entirely. So, backing off and sticking with one non fiction book at a time.

This is so true for me as well, Robin. I read almost nothing this week for the following reasons:

1) We had company. Company is fun. I like having company, but I can't seem to read when there's company in the house.

2) We had our first spring weather of the year. I like spring weather too, but it compels me to do all kinds of things that aren't conducive to finishing a whole book. Mainly, it puts me into planning mode for the next school year. I can't help it; when spring weather comes, I just want to plan. That's where 17 years of homeschooling will get you.

3) I tried to read just nonfiction. This was a book that was for school planning. It was a mistake to take a complete break from fiction. It just made me want to stop reading altogether. I do best if I'm reading one fiction and one nonfiction book. Thanks for posting your own insights on this, Robin.

Maybe next week will go better. I just downloaded Ultimate Prizes onto my Kindle.

Edited by Luann in ID

I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I have to admit, I remember hating this book in 8th grade when I read it. I felt guilty assigning it to ds. As soon as he started it, he told me how much he was liking it. I decided it was time for a re-read and I loved it.

How was I so dense that I didn't recognize this book as wonderful the first time?

I missed last week's thread. My reading has slowed down a lot over the last few weeks. I finished Oliver Twist and Children in the Church Today. Also read The Provincial Lady in America by E. M. Delafield.

Currently reading Constable by Jonathan Clarkson (biography of painter John Constable), The New Faithful: Why Young People are Embracing Christian Orthodoxy by Colleen Carroll, and How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

I finished "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (I loved this book! Amazing story!)

Would you say this book is worth reading if I know the general gist of the story? I keep wondering about this.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about this book! I read it last year. If you like this, you may want to follow with her other book, Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel. Both were page-turners, imho.

I read Half Broke Horses a few months ago. Liked it a lot.

Glass Castle is very good, but also very painful for me at times. I'm a wimp when it comes to reading about this sort of stuff. Movies, well, I'm even worse when it comes to movies.

I am now reading "I Am Messenger" by Markus Zusak, the "Book Thief" author.

Welcome. I don't think you have to join this list. I never did. I just started posting ... :)

I read I Am a Messenger about a year or so ago. Not as good as The Book Thief, I thought. No surprise there. It's hard to outdo The Book Thief. But it was good nonetheless. It was really very different to The Book Thief. Can't really compare the two.

I just finished reading Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore. I loved it! I read it in one day. She wrote another book I am going to check out.

I just began Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte. I am only on Chapter 2 so I am not sure about it yet.

Would you say this book is worth reading if I know the general gist of the story? I keep wondering about this.

I knew about the story before I read it but was still blown away by all of the extras that are in the book. I was quite interested in the biology part of the book and I am not a science girl.

I read Half Broke Horses a few months ago. Liked it a lot. Glass Castle is very good, but also very painful for me at times. I'm a wimp when it comes to reading about this sort of stuff. Movies, well, I'm even worse when it comes to movies.

I know what you mean. It is painful to read, while still remaining compelling and inspirational . . . I read another book earlier this year that falls in the same category: Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard, by Liz Murray. It is incredible what people live through, and yet emerge undefeated, even successful . . .

I read The Glass Castle this year, too. A great case study in PD's;)

This week I'm reading, "Grooming the Next Generation for Success," by Dani Johnson. It is GREAT.

Slowly making my way through Love and Respect.

My dh took over for me on Reimagining Church by Viola. It can't see a diff between what he said in Pagan Christianity, though my dh has discovered some minor differences. He is so anti-establishment and I'd much rather read what we are reaching for instead of what we are reacting against= kwim?

I just began Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte. I am only on Chapter 2 so I am not sure about it yet.

I had read rave reviews of the book (perhaps on the Chinaberry site?); however, I ultimately gave up on it as it did not speak to me. I hope that your experience will be different.

Regards,

Kareni

I read The Billionaire's Vinegar by Benjamin Wallace---non-fiction about the world of high-end wine collecting.

The book centers around the $156,000 auction of a bottle of wine purportedly belonging to Thomas Jefferson, who was a wine aficionado.

Shortly after the auction, doubts are raised about its authenticity, and in the process, it's discovered that fraud is quite rampant in the selling/auctioning of rare and collector-worthy wines.

Interesting reading, especially if you're an oenophile. There's also some history, chemistry, and mystery thrown in.

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

Grave Mistake (Ngaio Marsh)

Bloomability - young adult, nice

Sense and Sensibility - for the umpteenth time

A Rulebook for Arguments - this is a great book - it answered my questions about writing a persuasive paper

Study is Hard Work

Reader and Raelynx

Starfarers

Transition

Metamorphosis

Nautilus - 5 books of vacation fluff - Could do without the graphic bits, although they were easy enough to skip. The Starfarer series is a bit strange in spots and R+R was a bit too close to straight romance, but not so bad that I didn't finish it.

Creating Textures in Pen and Ink with Watercolor - guess there is a lot more black than I thought

Paying the Piper - more vacation reading

Imaginative Realism - Wow!

A Guide to the Birds of East Africa - Loved!

Paladin of Souls

Photo Finish

Drawing a Likeness

When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time To Go Home

The Tale of Despereaux

The Story of Rosabelle Shaw

-Nan

progress.gif

I just finished reading Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore. I loved it! I read it in one day.

I've been curious about the Dairy Queen book for some time. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I knew about the story before I read it but was still blown away by all of the extras that are in the book. I was quite interested in the biology part of the book and I am not a science girl.

Thank you. That is helpful. Will still keep Immortal Life on my wish list.

I know what you mean. It is painful to read, while still remaining compelling and inspirational . . . I read another book earlier this year that falls in the same category: Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard, by Liz Murray. It is incredible what people live through, and yet emerge undefeated, even successful . . .

Thanks. Will look into Breaking Night.

I started an Austen book I had no idea existed.

This looks really interesting. :D Thanks for sharing.

This week I am counting "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" as the book dd10 and I are reading together. We actually started it long before this week, and we're actually listening to it on audiobook (it's way too long to read aloud in one week), but we plan to finish it this week and count it for this week's book.

On my own, I am reading "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman. I am enjoying it.

Set in the future, the second civil war is fought over abortion. To end the war, a compromise is reached that ends the practice of abortion but creates an alternative called "unwinding." Between the ages of 13 and 17, parents or guardians can choose to have their children unwound, which involves having every part of their bodies harvested to be "donated" to another person so, technically, they don't really die. The complex and compelling plot follows three teens whose stories intertwine when they escape while on their way to the harvest camps. Fifteen-year-old Connor's parents can no longer control him. Lev, a tithe, was raised by religious parents for the sole purpose of being unwound. Risa, a ward of the state, is a victim of shrinking budgets since she is not a talented enough musician to be kept alive. Neal Shusterman's engrossing novel (S & S, 2007) is narrated in an even cadence and matter-of-fact tone that suits the author's straightforward narrative style. His wide array of voices makes the involved story line, which is left wide open for what is sure to be an interesting sequel, easy to follow. This gripping, thought-provoking novel is guaranteed to lead to interesting discussions about abortion, adoption, organ donation, religion, politics, and health care.

I can't remember if I posted to the thread last week or not.:blushing: I've carried over two books from then.

Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins we Tolerate by Jerry Bridges. Although it's been convicting, it's very encouraging at the same time.

Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives by Michael Ruhlman. This one is good but has been hard. It's a look inside the world of pediatric cardiac surgery. Since I've lost a daughter to a congenital heart defect, it's been difficult to read but it has given me insight into the doctors' side of the story.

Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins we Tolerate by Jerry Bridges. Although it's been convicting, it's very encouraging at the same time.

This describes his books perfectly. I read and learned from Respectable Sins a few years ago when it first came out. Recently I read Trusting God and it helped me with anxiety and perspective so much.

Jerry Bridges was an elder in a church my father pastored when I was a child/teenager. Knowing what kind of a man he is IRL (humble, upright, wise, and sincere) makes reading his books such a pleasure for me.

Edited by Luann in ID

Just finished "Water for Elephants".

I didn't like this one at all and didn't even bother finishing it.

Glass Castle is very painful for me at times, but also very good at times ... I almost gave up on it last night because there were parts in it that were really upsetting. Those parents just make me angry. I know I shouldn't say that.

I can't remember if I posted to the thread last week or not.:blushing: I've carried over two books from then.

I haven't posted in about 5 weeks! I'm still reading, but so slowly. Both books I'm currently reading are the kind where I read a page or two then stop and think for about 10-15 minutes. This is killing me with the challenge! But that's ok...

The two books are:

The Snowball, which is 800+ pages of Warren Buffett's biography. I am finding it absolutely hilarious, and I'm only up to 1969. I hope it continues to be so enjoyable. I originally started this on audiobook, but decided to continue in paper.

The other is The Last Week: A Day-by-Day Account of Jesus' Final Week in Jerusalem. I was trying to get this one done by Easter, but with my Mom going in the hospital, and me forgetting to take the book for the trip, well, that didn't happen.

Happy reading!

I thought I was going to read Jesus Wars this week, but after reading the intro and the ending, I found that when he summed things up from the times of Jesus to the fifth century, he totally ignored half the Christians. I'm not sure if I'm going to read Jesus Wars this or not (but perhaps later since it will cover things I ought to know for my history). So I have restarted a book I read 1/3 of about 8 years ago called When Jesus Became God. I'm not sure if I'll get all the way through it in a week since there is a lot to think about, so I may read other things on the side. I haven't been good about keeping a list, so I need to go back and find all my posts from here to see if I'm still ahead or not.

Finished:

1. The Secret Life of Houdini: the Making of a Superman by William Kalush

2. 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison

3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

4. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

5. Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

6. The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

7. Phantastes by George MacDonald

8. Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed the World (LeCouteur)

9. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

10. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

11. Mountains Beyond Mountains (Kidder)

12 Tipping Point (Gladwell)

13. Her Fearful Symmetry (Neffinger)

15. "Don't bother me Mom--I'm Learning!" (Prensky)

Working on:

16. Operatives, Spies, and Sabateurs (O'Donnell)

17. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (Sacks)

18. The New Seed Starters Handbook (Bubel)

19. The Norby Chronicles (Asimov)

20. Cloudsplitter (Banks)

21. Backyard Berries and Bushes

Getting terribly behind :glare: but that's not going to change much until my class is over.

Feeling yucky. Reading light. Regency Buck by Heyer was a good prescription ... might grab another from the basement ... maybe it'll help me catch up!

ETA: Yep, read Bath Tangle yesterday and today.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book)- Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp

12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

Edited by ladydusk
ETA ... add another book :)