Menu

Anti-tick precautions?

We just moved to a house in a gorgeous wooded area and, although the kids are loving it (hiking, fishing, etc.), the abundant ticks are FREAKING ME OUT. Of course I'm worried about Lyme (have several friends with it) and other tick-borne illnesses. I am removing a tick from one of my five children every other day or so. :( I want to know what precautions you take to keep them OFF. So far, we are doing hats, long pants, socks (no sandals/bare feet) and constant checking.

Tonight my son had one and we couldn't get the head out. UGH. Any advice on that?

We're watching constantly for bullseye rashes and flu-like symptoms. Dreading the summer because of this!

We just moved to a house in a gorgeous wooded area and, although the kids are loving it (hiking, fishing, etc.), the abundant ticks are FREAKING ME OUT. Of course I'm worried about Lyme (have several friends with it) and other tick-borne illnesses. I am removing a tick from one of my five children every other day or so. :( I want to know what precautions you take to keep them OFF. So far, we are doing hats, long pants, socks (no sandals/bare feet) and constant checking.

Tonight my son had one and we couldn't get the head out. UGH. Any advice on that?

We're watching constantly for bullseye rashes and flu-like symptoms. Dreading the summer because of this!

My parents live on a farm in WI and my mom said that when she started using the original scent of Skin So Soft she started seeing few to zero tick on her after a walk through the woods. When we go we bath with that in our bath water and we haven't seen any ticks on us either. That' my anti-tick suggestion, Skin So Soft in your bath water.

do you get eggs from guinea hens? Can you put them in with your other chickens?

I have heard that guinea hen's favorite food is ticks!

I've read that you want to keep about a foot of mulch between you and the woods. You also want to keep your grass mowed well. Other than that, if you're going to be IN the woods, you're going to have to deal with ticks.

I have some White Mountain brand fly repellant that works AWESOME but I can't remember if it works with ticks!

Next time you're in, it is worth a conversation with a local doctor to see what they recommend and what they watch for in terms of Lyme. Sometimes the rash isn't there and/or the symptoms are mild enough that it is missed or is not completely treated.

We don't even own shorts and are constantly vigilant. You can't let your guard down.

Watching this thread for ideas....:lurk5:

But I do know this.....it does NOT, repeat does NOT take 24 hours to pass the tick borne infection-I made this mistake with dd in 2009. She had a tick on her for less than two hours, which I figured was ok due to the 24-hour thing---a month later we found out it was Lyme after she started having unbearable joint problems, and she spent the entire WINTER bedridden with a horribly complicated case of Lyme. Worst thing I've ever been through in my life.

The Lord eventually healed her, but after that ordeal, I almost feel physically sick now when tick season comes-I wish there was something that definitely worked all the time to repel them (besides deet!)

Thanks all. I don't think we're up for chickens at this point, plus the kids are getting them *in* the woods, at the fishing pond, at the baseball field even. I *just* found one on my ds's back -- it had been there all night and was engorged. :mad: From now on, I PERSONALLY check every inch of every body. I don't care if your brother checked you. And that suggestion about talking to a local doctor is great, I will do that. I actually have to stop by our doctor's today to pick up some forms; I am going to try to ask her that very question.

HappyGrace, thank you for the advice about ignoring the 24 hours thing. Did you have warning signs before the joint pain (rash or fever)? I admit, I am terrified of Lyme. It sounds horrible. I wish we could enjoy the spring and summer without this!

DEET is my friend. When I'm feeling particularly paranoid, I double or triple it up with lemon eucalyptus spray and/or picaridin spray. For shorter trips outside to less risky places (like the park with mowed grass), we use lemon eucalyptus spray instead. Consumer Reports found it to be as effective as DEET, but it doesn't last as long.

If the kids have been playing out in the yard or have been to the park or nature center, their clothes come off as soon as they come home and ideally they go straight into the washer. I do a quick visual check for ticks, and then they can go put on new clothing.

We also more thorough evening tick checks every day, whether or not the kids have been playing outside. Toes, backs of knees, armpits, groin (especially under elastic around legs of underpants), scalp, and behind or in the ears are all common tick bite locations.

Don't worry too much about the head that you couldn't get. Just keep an eye on it like you would for any tick bite. Dot some antibiotic ointment on it for a few days if it is looking irritated.

What's your removal technique? I've only had to remove 3 ticks so far, but I grasp the tick as close to the mouth parts as possible, and then pull away smoothly and firmly. If it is engorged, save it in a ziploc and call your doctor and/or public health department to ask about testing. (You may want to double check this for unengorged ticks. Some states may still test unengorged ticks, but in states with lots of tick most are only testing engorged ticks.)

Garlic (internally) and tea tree (externally)! Really, start giving them "odorless garlic" pills every day in addition to cooking with as much fresh garlic as your family will tolerate. There really *is* some truth to the "garlic repels vampires" thing -- except that the "vampires" it repels are blood-suckers like ticks and mosquitoes. (I'm always especially careful about this when ds goes on Boy Scout campouts or hikes. And he's the one who never comes back with ticks even when the others are covered with them.)

And switch everybody over to a tea tree-based shampoo (or conditioner) and shower soap. Also acts to keep ticks and lice away...

If you scroll down on this page: http://secure.intmednova.com/portal/FAQs+Frequently+Asked+Questions/default.aspx

you will find the CDC recommendations for prevention of tick exposure. There is something you can dip clothes in called permethrin (sp?). I'm going to look into for my kids, but of course, I'm concerned about using something like that daily, which is what I'd pretty much have to do where I live.

There is a lyme epidemic in my area. I have it and have been on antibiotics for 3 years with no end in sight. Many of my friends and/or their kids have it. My son has been exposed, according to his bloodwork, but is not showing symptoms, but that doesn't mean he won't later. The ticks are so small, I feel that I will never find them in my kids' thick chestnut brown hair. Not to mention, if a nymph attaches while they are playing for a couple of hours and then falls off. I'd never even know it. I never found a tick on myself and I was watching.

Whenever I watch a television show or read a book where people are lying in the grass or playing outside, I think about how nice it was that they had the freedom to do that without fear. My mom keeps telling me I can't keep my kids inside, and I try not to, but then I think, would I send them into a room full of people with a contagious neurological disorder? That's what I feel like I'm doing every time I let them play outside.

Lisa

Garlic (internally) and tea tree (externally)! Really, start giving them "odorless garlic" pills every day in addition to cooking with as much fresh garlic as your family will tolerate. There really *is* some truth to the "garlic repels vampires" thing -- except that the "vampires" it repels are blood-suckers like ticks and mosquitoes. (I'm always especially careful about this when ds goes on Boy Scout campouts or hikes. And he's the one who never comes back with ticks even when the others are covered with them.)

And switch everybody over to a tea tree-based shampoo (or conditioner) and shower soap. Also acts to keep ticks and lice away...

Where do you find these items?

Ticks are a concern of mine every year, too.

I haven't heard of the garlic thing. I am going to try the pills. The mosquitoes love me, so that will be a good test to see how they work. My son goes to boy scout camp for a week with his dad every year and I can never get either of them to check for ticks, so it would bring me a lot of peace if those garlic pills helped. Both of the last two years, I checked him for ticks as soon as he got home and he had one each time.

Lisa

Where do you find these items?

Ticks are a concern of mine every year, too.

Pretty much any grocery store or health food store. Look for odorless garlic pills where vitamins and supplements are sold. They're cheap and easy to find. Tea tree soap and shampoo might require a trip to a health food store, if you don't have a grocery store with a good alternative/health food section. There are several brands available -- I'm not sure which is "best" to recommend.

It's also possible just to buy tea tree oil and mix some in with your regular shampoo or conditioner. It'll seem expensive that way, but a little goes a long way. You should only need a tablespoon or two for a whole bottle.

I just did a little research on permethrin. http://fhp.osd.mil/factsheetDetail.jsp?fact=27 Apparently the military makes uniforms with this in them to protect their soldiers from ticks and other insects and even considers it safe for pregnant women. I may start dipping my kids shoes in it and even do it to a set of playclothes they can wear just for going outside. It is not recommended to dip hats or underwear. I am one that has never used DEET or any other insecticide on my children, because I view it as poison, but I may try this stuff.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

If you scroll down on this page: http://secure.intmednova.com/portal/FAQs+Frequently+Asked+Questions/default.aspx

you will find the CDC recommendations for prevention of tick exposure. There is something you can dip clothes in called permethrin (sp?). I'm going to look into for my kids, but of course, I'm concerned about using something like that daily, which is what I'd pretty much have to do where I live.

There is a lyme epidemic in my area. I have it and have been on antibiotics for 3 years with no end in sight. Many of my friends and/or their kids have it. My son has been exposed, according to his bloodwork, but is not showing symptoms, but that doesn't mean he won't later. The ticks are so small, I feel that I will never find them in my kids' thick chestnut brown hair. Not to mention, if a nymph attaches while they are playing for a couple of hours and then falls off. I'd never even know it. I never found a tick on myself and I was watching.

Whenever I watch a television show or read a book where people are lying in the grass or playing outside, I think about how nice it was that they had the freedom to do that without fear. My mom keeps telling me I can't keep my kids inside, and I try not to, but then I think, would I send them into a room full of people with a contagious neurological disorder? That's what I feel like I'm doing every time I let them play outside.

Lisa

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. Lyme is such a terrible thing.

I'm so grateful for all these responses. I am going to do the garlic capsules, the lemon eucalyptus spray (I think the brand is REPEL), and I'll look into the permethrin too. I am really eager to talk to some local doctors. I don't know how bad Lyme is here, or what the protocol is (save ticks? when to get tested/go on antibiotics?). I'm feeling down about it, but I will NOT let Lyme rule my joy. I want to be smart, careful -- but still enjoy the warm weather. I hope this is possible.

ETA: And tea tree! Going to do that, too.