Menu

Healthy Recipes that are SO GOOD!

Well, I thought this might be a great thread. Let's list healthy recipes so good that they are addictive. I will start it off:

Corn and black bean salsa or salad

1 can white shoe peg corn (rinsed)

1 bunch green onions

4 oz feta cheese

2 tsp garlic salt

1 can black beans (rinsed)

1/4 c sugar (or substitute)

1/4 c olive oil

1/4 c apple cider vinegar

Mix everything together except the corn, green onions and cheese. Once the dressing is mixed well, add the rest of the stuff. it does taste better the longer it sits.

Well, I thought this might be a great thread. Let's list healthy recipes so good that they are addictive. I will start it off:

1 bunch green onions

4 oz feta cheese

2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 c olive oil

Mix everything together except the corn, green onions and cheese. Once the dressing is mixed well, add the rest of the stuff. it does taste better the longer it sits.

This sounds awesome. (When I first read the thread my first thought was, "Costco salsa and pretzels." Taste so good and isn't "bad for you."

alley

I just enjoyed some cucumber boats filled with homemade guacamole. Soooo yummy and filling, and super easy to make! For the guac I used mashed avocado, crushed garlic, chopped sweet onion, a little lime juice and s&p. Then I cut a cucumber in half, scooped out the insides (which I chopped up and threw in the guac) and filled the boats. Awesome stuff! (I also like guacamole in celery boats and romain leaf wraps. Drool!)

My sister and I can't get enough of this Moroccan Chickpea Salad:

3 tbsp. olive oil

3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

2 tsp. ground cumin

1/4 each sea salt an black pepper

pinch cayenne pepper

3 cups BPA-free canned chickpeas (or pre-soaked and cooked chickpeas)

1 large carrot, peeled and julienned (I buy the organic matchstick carrots to save time)

3 green onions, thinly sliced

2 plum tomatoes, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

1/4 cup each chopped fresh cilantro and mint

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. In small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, black and cayenne peppers. Set aside.

2. In large bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, onions, tomatoes, red pepper, cilantro, mint and feta.

3. Pour lemon juice dressing over chickpea mixture and toss to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.

Last night's dinner was a hit, too:

I didn't have a recipe, but I had cut organic chicken breasts into 1 in. chunks and sauteed them in olive oil. I chopped onion, broccoli, carrots and red pepper in the food processor and sauteed them in some low salt chicken broth. When the veggies were softer, I added more chicken broth and thickened it with arrowroot powder. Then poured the veggie mixture and the chicken over boiled brown rice noodles. I added some cooked peas after combining the other stuff. Pretty tasty!

ETA: I forgot about a dish my sister made on Sunday that I could eat every day!!!!

She spread home made hummus on a plate and topped it with a salad of romaine, yellow peppers, cucumber, and tomato. Then she made a home made dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dijon mustard and honey to put on top! There was pita bread to sop up the remains, as well.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler
adding

1 bunch green onions

4 oz feta cheese

2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 c olive oil

Our grocery store gave out samples of something similar last weekend. Your version would probably be cheaper, so I'll try it first. They used a jar of corn relish, and added black beans, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes and diced avocado.

I'll try to think of something yummy and post later today.

1 bunch green onions

4 oz feta cheese

2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 c olive oil

I am eating a bowl of this right! now. IT IS AMAZING! Also, it fills you up

vegan breakfast bread. (a much healthier alternative to other sweets).

- 2 cups whole wheat flour

- 1 cup all purpose flour (you can use all whole wheat but the bread will be dense)

- a handful of ground flaxseed

- a tablespoon of cinnamon

- ½ teaspoon baking powder & ½ baking soda

whisk dry ingredients together

- in separate bowl, mash 1 large ripe banana

- ½ cup molasses

- ¼ cup of canola oil

- teaspoon vanilla

- ¼ cup of brown sugar (optional)

- ¼ - ½ cup raisins

- chopped pecans or walnuts to your liking

- add 1 diced apple

Mix dry & wet ingredients together

Mix all ingredients with your hands. if it's too dry, add almond milk to thin it. Milk is fine too, but it won’t be vegan.

Cook on 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Because i never use *exact* measurements - the time will vary. It should be firm to touch though.

Super yummy!

I do this with leftover "refried beans without the refry," but a can of pintos will work.

With my homemade beans, I put a couple/few cups of the beans with their liquid into a pot, add a can of mild rotel tomatoes (drain these most of the way first). Simmer down. When using my homemade beans I mash some to make them creamy.

Serve over rice with fresh cilantro cut up on top and fresh avocado sliced on the side (gotta have an avocado chunk with each bite!)

LOVE this!!!

Banana "ice cream"

Whirl frozen banana(s) plus a little milk (skim, soy, whatever) in the food processor. Serve immediately.

It's surprisingly creamy and delicious, but you're basically just eating bananas. I occasionally sprinkle on some mini chocolate chips, but it's very satisfying on its own.

Banana "ice cream"

Whirl frozen banana(s) plus a little milk (skim, soy, whatever) in the food processor. Serve immediately.

It's surprisingly creamy and delicious, but you're basically just eating bananas. I occasionally sprinkle on some mini chocolate chips, but it's very satisfying on its own.

Try throwing some frozen mango in with it for a mango/banana ice cream. Yum!! Or add a little cocoa powder to your bananas for a chocolate soft serve. :)

Last night we had raw "snickers" for dessert. I sliced some Medjool dates to remove the pit, then stuffed it with a blend of raw almond butter and cocoa powder (you could add a little honey for a sweeter filling). Then I popped them in the freezer for maybe a half hour or so. Soooooo yummy, and it definitely felt like a decadent treat. Next time I'll add some shredded coconut as well. Drool!

Try throwing some frozen mango in with it for a mango/banana ice cream. Yum!! Or add a little cocoa powder to your bananas for a chocolate soft serve. :)

Last night we had raw "snickers" for dessert. I sliced some Medjool dates to remove the pit, then stuffed it with a blend of raw almond butter and cocoa powder (you could add a little honey for a sweeter filling). Then I popped them in the freezer for maybe a half hour or so. Soooooo yummy, and it definitely felt like a decadent treat. Next time I'll add some shredded coconut as well. Drool!

That reminds me- I made some date/nut balls for a scrapbooking party, and they were addictive! I pitted medjool dates and chopped them in the food processor with dried cherries and walnuts and added cocoa powder until they were choco-licious. Then I formed them into balls and rolled them in ground almonds (almond flour) and refrigerated for a few hours. Mmmm.

The "snickers" will be on next week's menu along with the black bean burgers from the other thread! I'm drooling just thinking about it! :drool5:

This is a big hit at my house-- something even the kids devour:

Szechuan Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce

• 1/2 cup (or more) canned vegetable broth
  • 1 cup super-chunky peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced

• 12 ounces dried chow mein udon noodles (I used GF Rice Linguine)

• 1 tablespoon canola oil

• 8 large bok choy leaves

• 2 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise
  • 2 large carrots, peeled
  • 1 bunch green onions

• 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage

• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

rd_buckets_divider.gif

Mix 1/2 cup vegetable broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and minced garlic in medium bowl to blend well (sauce will be thick). Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, about 6 minutes. Drain. Rinse noodles under cold water and cool. Cut noodles into 4- to 5-inch lengths. Transfer noodles to very large bowl. Toss with oil to coat.

Cut bok choy, peppers, carrots and onions into matchstick-size strips. (Sauce, noodles and vegetables can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover separately; chill. Bring sauce to room temperature before continuing, thinning with additional broth if necessary.)

Add shredded cabbage and vegetable strips to noodles. Toss with enough peanut sauce to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

</p>

I *just* finished eating a very similar raw version of this. I used peanut butter and hot water (to warm it a bit) as the base with many of the same seasonings you use. Then I poured it over zucchini noodles (from my spiral slicer) and chopped veggies. So yummy!! I also do a similar cooked version with peanut and coconut milk and a little curry served over rice or pasta. :D

• 1/2 cup (or more) canned vegetable broth

• 1 cup super-chunky peanut butter

• 1/4 cup soy sauce

• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

• 1 1/2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce

• 5 garlic cloves, minced

• 12 ounces dried chow mein udon noodles (I used GF Rice Linguine)

• 1 tablespoon canola oil

• 8 large bok choy leaves

• 2 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise

• 2 large carrots, peeled

• 1 bunch green onions

• 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage

• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

rd_buckets_divider.gif

Mix 1/2 cup vegetable broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and minced garlic in medium bowl to blend well (sauce will be thick). Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, about 6 minutes. Drain. Rinse noodles under cold water and cool. Cut noodles into 4- to 5-inch lengths. Transfer noodles to very large bowl. Toss with oil to coat.

Cut bok choy, peppers, carrots and onions into matchstick-size strips. (Sauce, noodles and vegetables can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover separately; chill. Bring sauce to room temperature before continuing, thinning with additional broth if necessary.)

Add shredded cabbage and vegetable strips to noodles. Toss with enough peanut sauce to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Yum. I might need to make this for dinner tonight.

</p>

I *just* finished eating a very similar raw version of this. I used peanut butter and hot water (to warm it a bit) as the base with many of the same seasonings you use. Then I poured it over zucchini noodles (from my spiral slicer) and chopped veggies. So yummy!! I also do a similar cooked version with peanut and coconut milk and a little curry served over rice or pasta. :D

Recipe??? :bigear:

Recipe??? :bigear:

Hmmm... I go by taste and not amounts usually, so this isn't much of a recipe, but...

The uncooked version is equal parts peanut butter to hot water (1/3 c each?), 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon or so of honey, 2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil, some fresh or dry ginger, 2-3 cloves of garlic, a pinch of cayenne pepper, s& p. Throw it over veggies of choice.

For the cooked coconut peanut curry I fry up whatever veggies I plan to use (usually onion, mushroom, zucchini at least, then whatever else is in the fridge that needs to get eaten) and then throw in a can of coconut milk, a few dollops of peanut butter, curry, cayenne, s&p. This is also really good with fried chicken breast, without the PB, with almond butter instead of PB, or with cream/milk instead of coconut milk. It's a very flexible dish! :D

(Apologies for the format of my post. Something weird is going on with paragraph breaks here so I have to manually type them in, and that causes me to take shortcuts, such as not using proper recipe format.)

Hmmm... I go by taste and not amounts usually, so this isn't much of a recipe, but...

The uncooked version is equal parts peanut butter to hot water (1/3 c each?), 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon or so of honey, 2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil, some fresh or dry ginger, 2-3 cloves of garlic, a pinch of cayenne pepper, s& p. Throw it over veggies of choice.

For the cooked coconut peanut curry I fry up whatever veggies I plan to use (usually onion, mushroom, zucchini at least, then whatever else is in the fridge that needs to get eaten) and then throw in a can of coconut milk, a few dollops of peanut butter, curry, cayenne, s&p. This is also really good with fried chicken breast, without the PB, with almond butter instead of PB, or with cream/milk instead of coconut milk. It's a very flexible dish! :D

(Apologies for the format of my post. Something weird is going on with paragraph breaks here so I have to manually type them in, and that causes me to take shortcuts, such as not using proper recipe format.)

Looks awesome! I love coconut milk-- plus we are a dairy-free home I always have some on hand. Thanks!

Margaret

What a great thread! Our family's fav is veggie fajitas. Slice up lots of peppers (green, red, orange and yellow), onions and mushrooms. Put in big bowl. In small bowl mix olive oil, cumin, and chili powder. Pour over veggies and toss. Heat saute pan til hot and stir fry the veggies til crisp tender. Roll up in whole wheat tortillas topped with guacamole.

CADA- breakfast

1 handful coconut

1 handful raw whole almonds

3 pitted dates

1 apple, cored and quartered

Directions | Numbered...

Soak almonds and dates overnight (or not)

In the morning, place all ingredients in food processor and process briefly.

Optional ingredients- goji berries, blueberries, use any type of nut instead of almonds- I love brazil nuts. Skip the coconut if you dont like it.

Edited by Peela

Sesame Spinach Salad

2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 clove garlic

sugar

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

pepper

1 tsp ginger

250 gms baby spinach, washed

2 tbs sesame seeds lightly toasted

Blend all ingredients except spinach and sesame seeds.

Pour over spinach.

Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.

Addictive. My kids will eat a huge bowl of it.

Banana "ice cream"

Dd and I made this tonight, yum!!!! We used half and half..:tongue_smilie:

Salmon Salad

canned red sockeye salmon - drained

chopped olives

chopped cucumber

chopped celery

chopped red or green onion

2 TB mayo or sour cream

1 or 2 tsp mustard

Mix together and chill

Sprinkle with feta cheese crumbles

Serve on warm tortillas, French bread, crackers or a bed of lettuce.

chocolate almond milk is great for these!

Banana "ice cream"

• 1 year later...

I've always hated brussels sprouts and don't care for most things in the same vegetable family, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them cooked this way:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I was also not a big fan of broccoli ( I would at least eat it IN things), but I really like it made with this recipe: Best Broccoli of Your Life

And while not my favorite vegetable (Brussels are now), I've come to enjoy this recipe for asparagus: Baked Aparagus with Balsamic Butter Sauce. It's not as healthy because of the butter sauce, but there really isn't that much on it.

I think that I have determined roasting a vegetable is key for me. I really like most things I've tried cooked this way.