Menu

i literally have a huge pile of things that i'm ready to give away. i'm sick of looking at it all & posting it to sell is a real pain. i've sold the bulk of my items already, but i have several things that are now just taking up space. i don't want to even mail them...the post office is a pain. i'm thinking i'll consign them at the local homeschool store. i lose a lot of money that way, but it is so much easier for me than trying to do it myself.

Depends on the month, season, day, etc.. Some days I am geared to sell, sell, sell and other days I just don't want to think about it. I have a shelf just for curriculum I want to sell. When the mood strikes I put it all on sale. After a week or two of going to the post office every day because none of it is sold in groups I get burned out and stop selling.

I'm right there with you. It used to be easier to buy and sell when the board was smaller, just my opinion of course. The smaller group seemed easier to navigate and my impression was a lot fewer unhappy buyers and sellers. However, I'm in need of space and find myself thinking....You should do this, but I'm always a bit focused and frazzled trying to finish up the year.:willy_nilly:

I'm in the same situation. Most of my items are smaller, by the time you pay shipping and buy mailers there is no profit. I list some items on paperbackswap, but I've even cut way back on that.

We're also at the stage of schooling where I know what I want. Most of it is not mainstream curriculum.

The last 2 years I tried to sell and listed stuff all over. And at very good prices. Very little sold, and what did, I actually lost money on after paying postage. I took some to a curriculum sale. All the ones here are run by one person or group who receive a portion of the selling price. I barely made enough to cover my gas after it was over. I haven't sold on eBay in years. I had a large box that I was keeping so I could sell again this spring but when we moved I just donnated it all to our local library sale. It was very freeing.

Now as I look at the teacher manuals I have now and the few books we have finished, I am still torn. I won't use them again as my dc are 7 years apart in age, but few people seem to want just the TM, even if it is like new and at least half off. (I hardly touch my TMs because ds is using the video curriculum this year). I may just donate again.

I am also done with it. I have thrown in the paperback swap towel as well. The shipping is always a pain and I just don't use the expensive curriculum to begin with so I just don't make enough money to make it worth anything for me. I took my daughter to a birthday party a week or so ago and there were going to be several homeschooling mamas there so I took a big box with me and just let them take whatever they wanted. I just wanted it out of my house.

I just recently was able to sell some things locally..... but that is a first. I tend to give things away. It is much easier to give and not be responsible for a crease here or there or whatever.

I am going to have a garage sale in a month or so and try to sell what I have left.... and then give away the rest. I hate the hassle of trying to sell online.

As an aside, I used to frequent thrift stores looking for homeschool material. I would often run across like new material very cheaply. It really was a blessing for us, because our budget was so small. That particular thrift store had .99 hardbacks and .39 paperbacks. We've since moved and I miss that store.

So if you donate your items to a good thrift store, you may be blessing someone in a roundabout way. I believe sowing/reaping, karma, whatever you want to call it, will come back.

As an aside, I used to frequent thrift stores looking for homeschool material. I would often run across like new material very cheaply. It really was a blessing for us, because our budget was so small. That particular thrift store had .99 hardbacks and .39 paperbacks. We've since moved and I miss that store.

So if you donate your items to a good thrift store, you may be blessing someone in a roundabout way. I believe sowing/reaping, karma, whatever you want to call it, will come back.

I've done that! 8 boxes of Classic Curriculum..... Memoria Press, Peace Hill Press, etc. I donated it to the ND Boys and Girls Ranch Thrift Stores.... I can only imagine what people thought when they saw that stuff on their shelves. :lol:

Guest momk2000

Over the past couple of years, I did quite a bit of buying and selling of used curriculum. I am not doing it this year. I have decided to purchase everything new. It took way too much time and energy, plus I like that when I buy new, I can return it if it's not what I thought. Anything I purchase for my oldest dd will be used again for her younger sister, so I consider it an investment. Anything we are not using gets donated. :)

I was with you, back on Vegsource, actually made a nice profit, buying, selling and bartering. These days, forget it.

I know what I'm going to use, curriculum wise. I get what I'm looking for. I trust the vendors that I frequent. I'm not really that interested in looking at different curriculum. I just want what we're gonna use and have it here, ready to go.

It seems to me that it was a lot easier to buy and sell used curriculum online years ago. When I sell things now, they just don't sell as fast or for as much profit. There also seems to be less of what I need available used.

Since we are financially better off now, I don't HAVE to sell my used curriculum to be able to afford new curriculum, and selling used curriculum takes time. I really don't need one more thing on my plate. So I have started donating my used curriculum to The Book Samaritan. It's nice to be able to help other homeschoolers who are where I once was. And they will take anything, so it's a great place to send all those odds and ends that won't sell online anyway.

Susan in TX

As for selling, I find eBay to be too much of a hassle, but I have had good luck selling here and at homeschoolclassifieds.com. I don't have to worry about pictures that way.

As for buying, I have figured it all out and I saved about $500 buying used. It didn't take a huge amount of time because most of that savings was from one seller. When you find a super deal, it really is worth it.

I really think so now. Especially reading how people won't buy on here apparently because a few bad eggs ruined it? I honestly don't even know the difference between personal or whatever Paypal, so I guess I'm not even computer savvy enough to be selling. Add to that the increased price of postage, that I have always included in shipping, has gone up and yet so far this year buyers want already discounted 'like new' items discounted more! I will continue to sell on Amazon because then I can't take it personally when someone wants something even cheaper than my low price that guarantees that I totally lose on the transaction :glare:

Yep---I'm whining and pouting about not being able to sell my used curriculum for any sort of price that helps me buy new for my son. My husband said just give it away and claim the value on our taxes----we'd made out better in the long run :tongue_smilie:

It seems to me that it was a lot easier to buy and sell used curriculum online years ago. When I sell things now, they just don't sell as fast or for as much profit. There also seems to be less of what I need available used.

Susan in TX

I've noticed this too! I figured it was just my bad timing.

The past week or so I've checked the Want To Buy board periodically, and have sent emails to folks who are looking for what I have to sell. That has worked out nicely. I have all the supplies I need to package up and ship items handy, so I normally am able to ship out the same day I receive Paypal or the next day.

Once things slow down around here a little, I'll go through all my curriculum and generate a big For Sale post. I haven't thoroughly cleaned out shelves in 3 or 4 years, so I should have several items.

It does get tiresome! But I really can't afford not to sell the things we are finished with. This is where most of the funding comes from for the new stuff. This year, I seem particularly adverse to listing stuff, but I'm trying to do it in bits and pieces.

Lisa

I perpetually need $ for materials, so I still do it, but I use Homeschool Classifieds and Paperback Swap because they're low effort. I renew my listings and check prices once a month on Homeschool Classifieds, so that's it other than putting in the listings. Listing here and bumping up is more than I feel like doing now.

A few weeks ago I finally sold something on Homeschool Classifieds that I put in a year ago, and today I shipped a book on Paperback Swap that had been listed for probably two years if my memory is correct. I actually forgot that I had it, but it came up and it was indeed in the box where I store those books. At least I got something for those books.

If I get tired of seeing certain books, I donate them to the library sale for the tax write-off.

When money was flush I bought everything new. New TOG, new books for TOG, new Sonlight, new books for Songlight .... etc., and just gave away items I no longer wanted or kept them on the shelves for some future time.

We are really, really struggling this month. I bit the bullet and put a ton up for sale on E-bay. (I find that prices are much higher there than these sale/swap boards.) I made $645 (gross)!!! Wow! That's money that we really needed and I am grateful that the items sold for so much.

Some advice:

I lost money on any sale that went for .99 *and* I offered media mail shipping. By the time I added E-bay fees, Paypal fees, delivery confirmation fee, and cost of packaging, it actually cost me money to sell the item. :banghead:

So, I learned either 1) offer media mail shipping, but add a "handling" charge to it to cover the difference or 2) offer everything "USPS Priority Mail flat rate shipping". I prefer the flat rate shipping with the post office's packaging because it saves me a ton of time and energy, plus they will pick it up for free.

HTH!

Since we are financially better off now, I don't HAVE to sell my used curriculum to be able to afford new curriculum, and selling used curriculum takes time. I really don't need one more thing on my plate. So I have started donating my used curriculum to The Book Samaritan. It's nice to be able to help other homeschoolers who are where I once was. And they will take anything, so it's a great place to send all those odds and ends that won't sell online anyway.

Susan in TX

Thanks for reminding me of this. I was recently wondering if they were still around.

I have quite a few items that are not popular here on this forum, that are not exactly worthless to many homeschoolers that I could send their way.

I really need to clean off my shelves in the next two-three weeks before gearing up to start on the kitchen remodel. (It'll be hard enough to find things as it is. No need for 1st grade materials still taking up space when my youngest is going to be a 3rd grader. :tongue_smilie:)

I am fortunate enough to have an amazing homeschool consignment store in my area. I bring my items there, and as they sell, my account is credited. I put that money toward future curriculum products, books, DVD's, games, supplies, etc. It's saved me the hassle of trying to sell my things online.

I just want to start by saying that in all my years of buying used curriculum...and it's been over 13 of them...I have never once had a bad experience. Not even once. Please don't refuse to buy used because you THINK you might get a bad deal. The chances are, you won't. ;) BUT, if you're leery, try to only buy from members who have been around a while.

My biggest problem with selling my curriculum is how much I have to sell it for. Even if it's brand new, no one will touch it unless it's 50% off Amazon's (or whoever) sale price. Makes me crazy. I NEVER make a profit selling my books. I don't break even, even. Ha! Even if I buy brand new and never touch the book, I lose 50% or more. But selling them gets them off my shelves and gives me a portion back to put towards my new curriculum for the year. I need that.

I also don't think some buyers realize that shipping is expensive, as is packaging if bubble wrappers need to be purchased, gas to drive to the PO, etc. It all comes off the top of any 'profit' the seller makes. Oh, and THEN to add on Paypal's fees....ugh, don't EVEN get me started! :lol: If you don't trust the seller enough to pay Personal Paypal, then you probably shouldn't be buying used curriculum. Just sayin'.

It does get tiresome! But I really can't afford not to sell the things we are finished with. This is where most of the funding comes from for the new stuff. This year, I seem particularly adverse to listing stuff, but I'm trying to do it in bits and pieces.

Lisa

:iagree: I try to sell online and price what I see other people asking for comparable books, but I almost never sell anything compared to a couple of years ago. I have bought at least 15 things on here, though, since I joined. I would rather buy used, so try to go that route.