Menu

If you want a truly inclusive convention

are you prepared to put your money where your mouth is, metaphorically and/or literally?

I'm completely willing to bust my hump to see it happen. But I'm pretty sure my hump isn't big enough to get it done alone. Surely a bunch of WTM'ers are capable of something like that! :bigear:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended the GHC. I purchased from Geo-Matters, Rainbow Resource, Math U See, Einstein's Insomnia, PHP, Analytical Grammar and others. I should note that KH's facebook has a photo of John Holt's Biology book as an example of books "infiltrating" the community. I purchased the homeschool set from RR (online, not at the conference though).

Guest Dulcimeramy

I'm in. Still vision casting (joke) for what exactly to do.

Maybe those of us responding here could state our general area if we haven't already. I'm in Indianapolis and could get involved in W. Ohio, Cincinnati, E. Illinois, or Louisville.

I'm also very interested in online efforts if anyone can think of how to use the internet to better represent ourselves.

I would be glad to help if this effort were going to be on the other coast . . .

Eh, I'm just one person. In order to be successful, such an event would need to take place wherever the most interest is. Just about anyone can contribute to behind the scenes efforts!

A website is a pretty easy way to start. Inclusive Homeschoolers of America (and have sister sites for other countries?)?

Exactly how naive of me is it that I Googled and was surprised to find just 1 single group ANYWHERE that uses "inclusive homeschoolers" in their name?

Personally, I can't/don't attend conventions. I don't see that changing for me anytime soon at all, so all the stuff that happens surrounding them passes me by, not even as a spectator. Add in the fact I'm Canadian, and well...I'm no use in this situation.

A website is a pretty easy way to start. Inclusive Homeschoolers of America (and have sister sites for other countries?)?

So... my dh is the website guy in our family, and he's busy at work. (I just called to try to get his input. No luck.)

I'm willing to go ahead and register a domain name unless anyone has an objection or alternative suggestion!

So... my dh is the website guy in our family, and he's busy at work. (I just called to try to get his input. No luck.)

I'm willing to go ahead and register a domain name unless anyone has an objection or alternative suggestion!

Registering and hosting through yahoo is pretty cheap/month. I'd be willing to contribute via paypal.

I'm in!! Not sure how much we can contribute, but I'm sure DH would be down with giving what and when we can. I could help in other ways, though, if someone just let me know what was needed when!

ETA: Just talked to DH (he got home from work late). He's definitely ready to help. Just let us know how!

Edited by kchara

http://inclusivehomeschoolers.com/ :D

So you'd better get to brainstorming while I feed the baby!

I was glad to see that you didn't add "of America" to the title. Do we foreigners need to be the "others" or could inclusive mean not restricting it to America?

For a truely inclusive conference, with a range of good speakers, I'd fly to the US because I could do with a bit of uplifting in my homeschooling life, it's hard in my house right now.

You guys all rock!

My mind is a bit fried after trying to brainstorm during baseball practice in a gym full of tween boys while wrangling the 4 youngest, so I'm going to try to turn it off for the night.

I just wanted to say I'm going to try to get out to set up a separate bank account to connect to a paypal account for anyone who is interested and able to kick in whatever. This way I don't have to attempt to untangle anything if we can turn this into something big. But I have to be around to sign for my Droid tomorrow :D, so I don't know if the bank will still be open. But it's coming.

In the meantime, if you have any key ideas/statements that you'd like to see on the website, share them here or email me at (tee hee!) carriew at inclusivehomeschoolers dot com :)

I was glad to see that you didn't add "of America" to the title. Do we foreigners need to be the "others" or could inclusive mean not restricting it to America?

For a truely inclusive conference, with a range of good speakers, I'd fly to the US because I could do with a bit of uplifting in my homeschooling life, it's hard in my house right now.

One thing I have loved on this forum *is* the input of the members who are not American. We tend to be so egocentric! It's nice to have someone to kick us in the pants every now and then. :)

I'm a total failure at managing people and planning such things. The phobia of making phone calls doesn't help the situation.

However, I'm great at showing up, and I can usually be counted on to bring food.

So, if this were to happen at a time and place I could get to, I'd definitely want to attend and help in some way.

I'll also happily kick in a few bucks to get the website up and running.

Edit: Also, I'm in Central Florida, but I've been making the 26-hour round trip to VA and back about 10 times a year for the last four. So, I'm not afraid of driving!

I'm in. North Carolina as a location wouldd be great-I can drive there :)

I can contact vendors, I am happy to organize speakers, create pamphlets...I have limited time (don't we all) but I would like to help out. I also have some experience in graphic design.

Is the main point here to organize a conference? Are you going to incorporate as a non-profit? (I know, jumping the gun here....;))

Edited by Halcyon

What is the main purpose of the website?:bigear:

It has to fill a need we don't meet by chatting it up here...

:lol: Good question! Because I'm not leaving this board! :lol:

I think it's for the purpose of trying to put together *inclusive* conventions and things that work *together* for the unified effort at *continuing* homeschooling freedom everywhere. That is my impression based upon all the discussion I've read. I could be wrong though. I didn't get *all* my coffee in this morning.

Guest Dulcimeramy

We need articles for the website, pronto. Articles about homeschooling and education and not about fear or particular lifestyles. Joyful, smart articles, sorted by category.

If we can't write these articles in a hurry, maybe someone could find something good and non-polarizing that someone else has written and get their permission to use it.

We want good, strong articles that define what it means to be "inclusive."

1. "Inclusive" does not mean: Here is a statement of faith and only those who sign it get to talk.

2. "Inclusive" does not mean: You can come but understand that you are our mission field.

3. "Inclusive" does not mean: Secular. No religious talk allowed.

4. "Inclusive" does not mean: These books/these goals/these methods only. You can stay if you are different but expect to be marginalized.

5. "Inclusive" does not mean: Unschooling dominates. Don't bring that Latin here unless you want to be called draconian.

6. "Inclusive" does not mean: We allow some religion here but only protestant Christian. Catholics, Muslims, Mormons, Buddhists, and pagans need not apply. We're fairly comfortable with Baptists.

7. "Inclusive" does not mean: Anything goes as long as you are homeschooling all of your children. If one of your kids goes to public school, you are not our type.

Inclusive does mean that I am a homeschooler and so are you, and we're both grownups, so, theoretically, at least, we can talk to each other. I'm homeschooling my kids only and you are doing the same. I'm not afraid of you and you're not afraid of me. We are different, but we are......friends.

Or something like that.

I'm also thinking of methodology and theory that can be of interest to a wide range of homeschoolers. Want to help me make a list? It can be curriculum, too, if it is from someplace like PHP that has tried to make the work accessible to many.

Here's my starter list of topics:

Classical Unschooling

Latin and Greek

Great Books

Charlotte Mason

High School Stuff (transcripts, etc.)

Phonics and Spelling

Math, Math, Math, Math, Math

Homeschooling Gifted Children

Homeschooling Children with Learning Differences

Homeschooling in Varied Circumstances and Locations

I hope these ideas will spur the smarter people here to greater thoughts.

We need articles for the website, pronto. Articles about homeschooling and education and not about fear or particular lifestyles. Joyful, smart articles, sorted by category.

If we can't write these articles in a hurry, maybe someone could find something good and non-polarizing that someone else has written and get their permission to use it.

1. "Inclusive" does not mean: Here is a statement of faith and only those who sign it get to talk.

2. "Inclusive" does not mean: You can come but understand that you are our mission field.

4. "Inclusive" does not mean: These books/these goals/these methods only. You can stay if you are different but expect to be marginalized.

5. "Inclusive" does not mean: Unschooling dominates. Don't bring that Latin here unless you want to be called draconian.

6. "Inclusive" does not mean: We allow some religion here but only protestant Christian. Catholics, Muslims, Mormons, Buddhists, and pagans need not apply. We're fairly comfortable with Baptists.

7. "Inclusive" does not mean: Anything goes as long as you are homeschooling all of your children. If one of your kids goes to public school, you are not our type.

Inclusive does mean that I am a homeschooler and so are you, and we're both grownups, so, theoretically, at least, we can talk to each other. I'm homeschooling my kids only and you are doing the same. I'm not afraid of you and you're not afraid of me. We are different, but we are......friends.

Or something like that.

I'm also thinking of methodology and theory that can be of interest to a wide range of homeschoolers. Want to help me make a list? It can be curriculum, too, if it is from someplace like PHP that has tried to make the work accessible to many.

Classical Unschooling

Latin and Greek

Great Books

Charlotte Mason

Phonics and Spelling

Love this....I know there are a lot of writers on here. I was actually going to start writing a couple of things about educating this week (unrelated to this) so I'll give a crack at writing something.

Or something like that.

Classical Unschooling

Latin and Greek

Great Books

Charlotte Mason

Phonics and Spelling

What about articles on starting inclusive co-ops and play groups? By someone who has done that ;)

Guest Dulcimeramy

Carrie, what do you have in mind for the website? Am I barking up the wrong tree with thinking that articles are a good start?

I was thinking of quotable people who might be interested in contributing their awesome articles.

Carolyn Morrison of Guilt Free Homeschooling. Veteran hs'er, knowledgeable about learning styles and info for beginners

Karen Campbell of thatmom.com for a gentle and open Christian perspective (and she knows the fight going on like the back of her hand)

Michael Clay Thompson likes gifted homeschoolers and has some awesome articles at RFWP.

If we twist her arm or offer her chocolate, we can maybe get our own WTM boardie Elizabeth to contribute something about phonics and reading.

I'd love to see a mix of religions, methods and ideologies from people who all understand what we're trying to do here.

I'm working on what I hope may turn into a book about homeschooling on the cheap. The backbone of the book is several "rules" for how to obtain whatever materials you want, to use for whatever educational philosophy you choose, inexpensively.

I'd be happy to re-work what I think may be the introduction into an article, if that would be of interest to anyone.

Guest Dulcimeramy
What about articles on starting inclusive co-ops and play groups? By someone who has done that ;)

Yes!! Who do you know who has done that? Have you?

I have not. I am one of the many who kept showing up at Christian hs groups wearing LLL t-shirts, trying to find the crunchy AP rigorous homeschoolers, finally moved one of the L's from my shirt up to my forehead, I felt like such a loser...is that TMI?

Exactly how naive of me is it that I Googled and was surprised to find just 1 single group ANYWHERE that uses "inclusive homeschoolers" in their name?

Not sure if our local group was the one inclusive group you found; "INCHES" in Columbus, Ohio. I'm not sure how well they live up their name, but they do plan some fun stuff.

Laura

Yes!! Who do you know who has done that? Have you?

I have not. I am one of the many who kept showing up at Christian hs groups wearing LLL t-shirts, trying to find the crunchy AP rigorous homeschoolers, finally moved one of the L's from my shirt up to my forehead, I felt like such a loser...is that TMI?

No I haven't. I wouldn't mind learning how just in case I need to!!!

I like Simka's idea on articles regarding how to be inclusive *where you are*...and maybe how to deal with it when people aren't. (?)

I think you are right on Dulcimeramy. I think a *resource* site will need less babysitting. kwim?

As far as contributors, if a *form letter* type email could be made up and presented to anyone and everyone that might be invited to an *inclusive* convention, they might be willing to submit articles on their expertise as well.

For some, it might be as simple as allowing us to post something they have already blogged about.

:lol: Good question! Because I'm not leaving this board! :lol:

I think it's for the purpose of trying to put together *inclusive* conventions and things that work *together* for the unified effort at *continuing* homeschooling freedom everywhere. That is my impression based upon all the discussion I've read. I could be wrong though. I didn't get *all* my coffee in this morning.

(I'm playing the organizational antagonist here...:tongue_smilie:)

I think it's important to define that specific purpose before diving in so we know when it no longer meets the intended purpose...and how to filter things b/c things will need to be filtered even in an inclusive group (like we should stick to homeschooling hehe). Who is going to be at the wheel? (I think this forum works so well in LARGE part b/c SWB is a graceful host - plain and simple!:D)

So, are meeting a political need (continuing homeschool freedom..yes)? Practical for those of us in the trenches (please let this be "yes":001_smile:)? Is this going to be a central informational site? (with links to local HS support and resources) A supporter site for Inclusive Homeschool Conventions? A support group for individuals (which I think would conflict with this forum...or maybe not...)? A place to read "how to" articles on specific topics...like a magazine? All or some of the above? Something else?

I like Dulcimeramy's list of what it means (and does not mean) to be inclusive. This is "who we are." I'm interested in seeing exactly "what we do."

Just thinking out loud...

I like Simka's idea on articles regarding how to be inclusive *where you are*...and maybe how to deal with it when people aren't. (?)

I think you are right on Dulcimeramy. I think a *resource* site will need less babysitting. kwim?

As far as contributors, if a *form letter* type email could be made up and presented to anyone and everyone that might be invited to an *inclusive* convention, they might be willing to submit articles on their expertise as well.

For some, it might be as simple as allowing us to post something they have already blogged about.

Links to some of the fantastic threads/posts here would be nice to include...in an organized fashion. Depth and Breadth, and Delight-Driven Education are two threads that I think every HSer should read, and they are hidden in the depths of the internet here.

You are wise, Paula (3blessingmom).

Yes, we do need to define parameters...or it will be a monster. And, in my opinion, there is NO need to duplicate what is met *here* on TWTM forum. However, this *is* The Well-Trained Mind forum, so I *do* think it's appropriate to have a separate site for, as Dangermom put it, a *clearinghouse* of articles/information/contacts etc.

Right?

Or something like that.

Classical Unschooling

Latin and Greek

Great Books

Charlotte Mason

Phonics and Spelling

You are brilliant. Just in case no one told you today.

I'm good to help, but I need a target. This I can do.

Guest Dulcimeramy
You are brilliant. Just in case no one told you today.

Thank you! Indeed, no one else has said it. I can live off that for weeks. :001_wub:

What is the main purpose of the website?:bigear:

It has to fill a need we don't meet by chatting it up here...

I think the main purpose should be to support inclusive homeschooling (the idea that homeschooling has many faces and many voices).

The purpose can be put into action in various ways. I think that the mere existence of a site promoting the idea would be wonderful, even it begins as a simple listing of resources, articles, and links.

What about a "How We Homeschool" section? People could write about what homeschooling looks like for them. Adding photos would be all the better. We could get a great variety just from here, I'm sure. Because people would write their own submissions, it could be a great way to quickly get good content that serves the core purpose.