Menu

If I host an event, can I ask ppl to take off their shoes when they come in?

Actually I'm having a group over to discuss the merits of Pearl discipline and the ways we can use duct tape to implement it creatively.

I don't mean any disrespect to individuals on either side of the "discussions" but just a laugh at all of us for getting our feathers in a ruffle!

Hahahahahaha!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I'm soooo glad I got some of you! I love a good joke and I'm glad it's staying in the joke realm!

Mwahahahahahahha!

Happy Day, All!

Have them stack their shoes in a shopping cart by the door, then come in to share in your crockpot buffet. Make sure that someone is policing the meatloaf! And be sure to have sweaters to hand out to anyone not dressing quite modestly enough. . . :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Up here, you would never, EVER consider not taking off your shoes when you enter someones home. For large parties, when you get ready to leave, you have to dig through huge mounds of shoes at the door!

Now, in the south, no one ever took off their shoes.

I think it's a regional thing....

in the military i was asked to take off my shoes at our officer's home and put on slippers (not a problem)...but the lovely oriental wife had to add" we are newlyweds you never know where we been" :tongue_smilie: Yuckkkkkkk

bwah hahahahahahaha!

I get asked to take my shoes off, your floor better be clean lol....because when people ask me to take my shoes off, I ask them where the broom is so I can sweep up all the grit sticking to my feet, or why in the world my socks are getting so grungy. But I like to wait until everyone is there before I do this to make sure that the hostess appreciates my helping her clean up her floor. Oh and after I go to the bathroom I ask if she has some anti bacterial gel because I think one of her boys might have peed on the floor around the toilet and I stuck my big toe in it.

All kidding aside there is one house I go to where the custom is to take off shoes, and I always feel like I need wet wipes to clean my feet off before I put my shoes back on.

I get asked to take my shoes off, your floor better be clean lol....because when people ask me to take my shoes off, I ask them where the broom is so I can sweep up all the grit sticking to my feet, or why in the world my socks are getting so grungy. But I like to wait until everyone is there before I do this to make sure that the hostess appreciates my helping her clean up her floor. Oh and after I go to the bathroom I ask if she has some anti bacterial gel because I think one of her boys might have peed on the floor around the toilet and I stuck my big toe in it.

All kidding aside there is one house I go to where the custom is to take off shoes, and I always feel like I need wet wipes to clean my feet off before I put my shoes back on.

ROFL! This is my house. When people offer to take off their shoes I am like "oh please don't". :lol:

I read the subject line and thought, "Oh my goodness!! Please tell me this is not really coming up again!". LOL that was good. You actually got me. :)

:iagree: I opened it to see if some crazy person had resurrected the old thread!

I don't get it, is this some kind of inside joke? Around here it is very common for houses to have a sign asking people to please remove their shoes when they come in...

Apparently people feel very strongly about shoes and feet. One of the biggest blowout we ever had on this board was about this exact subject.

I don't get it, is this some kind of inside joke? Around here it is very common for houses to have a sign asking people to please remove their shoes when they come in...

Yes. It is an inside joke referencing a catastrophic thread on the same subject. You wouldn't think such a banal topic could inspire such wrath, but it did.

Around here, no one has to ask. It is just accepted and expected that you are going to take off your snow boots when you enter someone's house. Snow boot weather being about 8-9 months of the year, it kind of becomes a habit to remove other types of shoes as well.

Oh my gosh - I am laughing so hard reading this thread and the original! So many hilarious posts, many not meant to be!

I do have a question - for those of you from the north and other places where people ALWAYS take shoes off. Is this the case even at dinner parties in someone's home? What if it is a rather formal reception of some sort? What if the men are wearing jackets? Even then? A fancy Christmas party?

We're in the midwest, and it's kind of interesting. When I grew up I'd never heard of taking shoes off in the house. But now I'd say maybe a quarter to a third of the people I know take shoes off, and my kids now take shoes off here. One of the reasons I began requiring it is that I know some moms consider it really rude when kids don't take their shoes off when entering the house. But of course this is a "cultural thing" (I guess!) and I'd never taught my kids to do this. One mom kind of yelled at my poor 9yo. After that I figured better to be on the safe side and just teach my kids to always take off shoes - so as not to offend, and so as not to dirty someone's home (since my kids aren't always great at checking for mud!).

Have them stack their shoes in a shopping cart by the door, then come in to share in your crockpot buffet. Make sure that someone is policing the meatloaf! And be sure to have sweaters to hand out to anyone not dressing quite modestly enough. . . :D

WHAT?! :eek: You mean you didn't return that poor cart to the corral? It could get loose from your house, taking everyone's shoes with it and run down some old woman in a parking lot! :willy_nilly: Now you go and return that cart pronto or I will consider you rude. :tongue_smilie: