Menu

If you had to do 1st grade science for free (or nearly) what would you do?

FairProspects

I'm not really a nature study kind of gal (being that it rains here 10 months a year) and I do already own an Animal Encyclopedia & a Body Book. I also have access to a library with many Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science titles.

Can I put together science from this? What about experiments? What would you do?

I'm not really a nature study kind of gal (being that it rains here 10 months a year) and I do already own an Animal Encyclopedia & a Body Book. I also have access to a library with many Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science titles.

Can I put together science from this? What about experiments? What would you do?

Most libraries will have the Jan VanCleve science experiments, they are decent and do not require many strange things (or, skip the ones that do!)

I think it sounds fun and fine for 1st grade!

I'm not really a nature study kind of gal (being that it rains here 10 months a year)

Bummer. We're in New Jersey, where it's either snowing, raining, or hot like a steam bath. So I get this....

and I do already own an Animal Encyclopedia & a Body Book.

Good start.

I also have access to a library with many Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science titles.

These are excellent.

Can I put together science from this?

Yes.

What about experiments?

Choose a few, but too many with a first grader might drive you nuts.

What would you do?

I would pm Dawn, LOL, and ask her for some advice. She once posted that she had put together all her boys' early years science courses from scratch, using her library (I think). Anyway, that's what I would do.

Here's Dawn for you -- Nestof3. HTH.

Edited to Add: If you go to Dawn's blog, then scroll down to "My Life Science Helps," you might find what you're looking for. "Invertebrates Lesson Plans and Literature," plus her lesson plans and literature list for vertebrates may add up to a complete Life Science course for the year (or longer). Dawn has great ideas, uses a lot of Let's-Read-and-Find-Out books, and has saved me from having to reinvent the wheel here! ;)

Edited by Sahamamama

I recommend BFSU, which I am using now. I got the K-2 book used for $20, though you could probably find it cheaper than that. The experiments/ demonstrations are done with things you gather from around the house, and each lesson has a book list which you could check out of the library for optional extra reading.

This is the best kids science course I have ever seen, and it is only going to cost me $20 for about 2-3 years of science for all of my kids.

For me, nature study would mean I caught every spider and insect that came in the house. We'd try to identify them and talk about how to classify based on body parts and legs. Then I'd go out and find a few little snails under a rock and put them in a big jar and watch how they turn pieces of lettuce into swiss cheese! I might even go to the pet store and pay $1.50 for a container of meal worms and put them in a container with some oatmeal and a slice of potato and watch them change from larva, to pupa to adults. We would incorporate reading about all of those thing and anything else the kids are interested. Be sure to remember that how things work is also a fun area of science for kids. Look at screws, pulleys, incline planes and see how they work. Then step up to bicycles and other things that they are interested and see how they work.

Have fun. You don't need money to do science in first grade. You just need an inquiring mind.

I recommend BFSU, which I am using now. I got the K-2 book used for $20, though you could probably find it cheaper than that. The experiments/ demonstrations are done with things you gather from around the house, and each lesson has a book list which you could check out of the library for optional extra reading.

This is the best kids science course I have ever seen, and it is only going to cost me $20 for about 2-3 years of science for all of my kids.

:iagree:

Otherwise, I would read all of the Let's Read and Find Out Science titles available at your library. Do the experiments you find in those books. Your library may also the Primary Physical Science series by Adrienne Mason and Claudia Davila. Other good authors for that level include Julian Rowe, Maria Gordon, and Gail Gibbons. The books by Mason/Davila, Rowe, and Gordon also include experiments.

Up until this year (3rd grade), we have been using an Usborne books science encyclopedia. We read one topic for each lesson. the book has easy experiments.

I'm a sciency-type, so we do a lot of interest-led open discussion and nature stuff. We visited out local arboretum today. I'm going to try to take my oldest to a class this weekend on foraging for wild salad plants.

We've almost finished the book we are reading now, and I feel like 3rd grade is time for a more in-depth curriculum. But for first, introducing the concepts on a superficial level is adequate imo.

I'm doing interest led with mostly library books. I think my son is learning more than he did when we used a curriculum. :)

And ditto the Van Cleave books. I know I've seen them and other experiment books at my library, even the dinky branch I usually go to. :)

For first grade I don't think you really need to do too much for science. Explore your surroundings, go to the library and get lots of books, and expand on things if there's interest. Free is definitely possible!

Save the science dollars for middle school and high school. :001_smile:

Many of the Let's Read books include simple activities or experiments. I think you could use your encyclopedia as a spine and check out library books to read more about particular animals or animal groups. Janice Van Cleave has out tons of good experiment books. I think you could definitely do science with these resources!

I think you live near me. If you want to look at a partially used RSO bio you would more than welcome to have at it. I have dozens of bio titles. I went a little nuts over bio. You could have the parts I didn't use (like the earth worm tests, which we had done the year before). I also have a pack of X rays you could review.

There are greenhouses at the capitol campus in Oly and the one in Wright Park in Tacoma. The extension service over in Puyallup has garden classes in the summer and fall (these are free). Hubby knows where to go frog hunting in Nisqually. Check for low tides and have a field day in the Puget Sound.

Seeds are cheap, and you can make a root viewer by cutting one side off a decapitated mild carton and breaching the gap with cellophane.

Putting out an old piece of plywood about 1x2 foot in a moist spot (in summer) and you can turn it over to a veritable undergrowth ZOO.

Don't forget the fabulous David Attenborough Life of Birds, Life in Cold Blood, etc. The library should have them.

Let me know if you'd like to look at resources, or want more specifics on places to go.

Here's Dawn for you -- Nestof3. HTH.

Edited to Add: If you go to Dawn's blog, then scroll down to "My Life Science Helps," you might find what you're looking for. "Invertebrates Lesson Plans and Literature," plus her lesson plans and literature list for vertebrates may add up to a complete Life Science course for the year (or longer). Dawn has great ideas, uses a lot of Let's-Read-and-Find-Out books, and has saved me from having to reinvent the wheel here! ;)

:blushing:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad to know it has helped someone.

I think you live near me. If you want to look at a partially used RSO bio you would more than welcome to have at it. I have dozens of bio titles. I went a little nuts over bio. You could have the parts I didn't use (like the earth worm tests, which we had done the year before). I also have a pack of X rays you could review.

There are greenhouses at the capitol campus in Oly and the one in Wright Park in Tacoma. The extension service over in Puyallup has garden classes in the summer and fall (these are free). Hubby knows where to go frog hunting in Nisqually. Check for low tides and have a field day in the Puget Sound.

Seeds are cheap, and you can make a root viewer by cutting one side off a decapitated mild carton and breaching the gap with cellophane.

Putting out an old piece of plywood about 1x2 foot in a moist spot (in summer) and you can turn it over to a veritable undergrowth ZOO.

Don't forget the fabulous David Attenborough Life of Birds, Life in Cold Blood, etc. The library should have them.

Let me know if you'd like to look at resources, or want more specifics on places to go.

Wow, tons of good ideas here, thanks! I'm going to have to look into some of these some more.

It is sounding like this is totally doable!

I live out on the Hood Canal and would love more ideas for this area! :001_smile:

For the OP, you should also check out some recent threads about science books:

Good science/nature reads?

Science through Living Books

What would I do? I would read the WTM 1st grade science section and use your books as spines and the library and make a little notebook of your studies and do the experiments in the books from the library and watch Magic Schoolbus videos and go on nature walks and grow a garden during the spring which should coincide with the plants study part of WTM ... which is just what I did for my 1st 1st grader. We had a great year. Sorry for the run on, btw. :)

I live out on the Hood Canal and would love more ideas for this area! :001_smile:

For the OP, you should also check out some recent threads about science books:

Good science/nature reads?

Science through Living Books

http://www.fws.gov/Nisqually/

This is a frog hotspot

Check back here:

http://puyallupcommunitygarden.wordpress.com/events/

for the dates for the popular Saturday classes

This unique place as MANY stuffed animals and various ethno-biological items. It is certainly worth a visit. There is even a whole classroom just as it was in 1915.

http://www.puyallup.k12.wa.us/studentlearning/karshner/

And I believe this place has some original manuscripts of Darwin on view right now, but the info is a little vague. I mean to get up there in the next couple of weeks. It is in Tacoma, and the Edwardian greenhouse is across the street in Wright Park.

http://www.rain.org/~karpeles/taqfrm.html

Just to get you started :)

Thank your for this suggestion! This looks wonderful. If it still looks as good when I investigate in depth, I may be returning my other science curriculum I recently purchased.