Menu

A Yankee asks about the South...

I'll put this "update" in the OP, too.

First, thanks for all the feedback. We are :bigear:. A bit more about us:

• We want to raise our children to say, "Yes, ma'am" and "No, sir." In fact, we already do this, believe it or not. People here look at our kids like this :001_huh:. Older people love it, and then go on gushing about how cute and sweet the girls are. :lol: But as far as the broader culture goes, we already feel like misfits...
  • We want to live in a more church-centered culture. Right now, here in New Jersey, we feel as though we are living in a barren wasteland. I can't even type this without :crying:, that's how bad it is. As for churches being run by families in the South, there are churches that work that way here, too, and we know all about that. See here. Overall, though, church life is very important to us. We want to live where it's important to others, also, because now we feel like misfits....
  • We want to live in a more rural area, but that really isn't saying much. We live in NEW JERSEY, the state with the highest population density of any US state -- 1,196 per square mile (2010 Census Bureau). OTOH, we do at times enjoy the diversity of the state (very diverse), but OTOH there are times when we long for a little more... simplicity? It's possible to go out for nearly any kind of "ethnic" food (if you can afford it), but we find ourselves drawn more to the 4-H County fairs and agricultural stuff. So, again, we feel like our values are already at odds with the majority of NJ culture. (Nothing wrong with good food, though. We just don't need so much diversity to be happy).
  • We want to live where there is a lower cost of living. In NJ, we have the highest property tax ranking in the US. Most people around here pay $6,000 and up per year for property taxes (and not for huge houses, either). We have a 7% state sales tax on practically everything. The pollution is a problem. The congestion is a problem. We long for beauty and open spaces... and less... concrete?
  • We would never, in a million years, want to live in a place with outright racial prejudice. I'm as white as Caspar, my husband is of Egyptian decent, and our children are beautiful blends of us both. But it doesn't matter what we are. We could both be ________ (fill in a color/label), and we wouldn't want to put up with that nonsense at all. I also have to keep in mind that my husband is very visibly Middle Eastern... who thinks he's really a terrorist in disguise? :confused: He's had a few experiences related to his physical traits...
  • We don't think we have any preconceived ideas about Southerners. I hope not. We would want to get to know each person as a person, and we don't think you're stupid if you talk slowly. We also would never expect our host culture to adapt to our Northern ways. If we do go South, we'd expect our children to become Southerners! We might even get there ourselves... ? But no redneck jokes from us.

The South appeals to us as a possible new home because (a) we've enjoyed our travels there; (b) we respect the people who have built their lives there; © we think we might embrace some of their values (but not the sports teams thing); (d) we've researched it as a more affordable, more pleasant place to live; (e) there are good-paying jobs in my husband's field there; and (f) we hate winter.

I was born and raised in the Midwest, lived in NYC, New England, the Deep South and VA and TN.

I love the South! Heat doesn't bother me. I love the friendliness. Yes, it can be superficial. That does not mean it is artificial or fake. I love the food. Except okra and turnip greens! I love a mild 3 month winter. I prefer TN to the Deep South because I do like four real seasons. And I don't like palmetto bugs or fire ants! I like the lower cost of living. I like the more Christian-friendly, "churched" culture.

SC is more like Deep South than TN is, I think, in both climate and culture. Nice to be close to the beach! I like Greenville and love Charleston and Hilton Head!

Comments by pp about characteristics of specific cities, locations are helpful I think. Know yourself! Good to try new things, but don't go away from everything you know and like.

DH is from a small town and would love to live in one.

UGH! I want real hospitals less than 20 minutes away, nice restaurants and shopping, a good airport and big library system and all the assets of a city for homeschooling. Parks, historical sites, performing and fine arts, museums, good zoo etc.

Also, consider your extended family. Would you be too far to see them as often as you do now? Could they get to you or you to them as often as you'd like?

Edited by ScoutTN

Yes this. I understand that Florida is different from the North and I understand that it would be an adjustment to move from there to here. I even understand the complaints about the heat. It is hot. But it's the "hell hole" comments that always make me feel horrible. I wish I could say that it's only said by a few, but it's not. I've always heard people say that. I've even read it on here these boards when people talk about places they would never want to live. Florida is always mentioned and someone inevitably will call it a "hell hole". It would be interesting to use the search function on these boards for that phrase and see how many times Florida comes up in the search results. :lol:

The thing that bugs me though, is for all of it's imperfections, Florida has a great deal of natural beauty and neat things to see and do if one would just take the time to open themselves up to doing something new and different. Isn't that part of the adventure of going somewhere new? New things to see and experience? You can swim with dolphins here, see gorgeous sunsets, go swimming in February, go to the beach on Christmas Day, go boating, play water sports, dive coral reefs, go fishing, go swimming in the springs, go on nature walks, Disney World, Sea World, Bush Gardens, Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Center etc. There is a lot to do, it's just typically outdoorsy stuff. :)

I love Florida! My parents are snowbirds, and every time we go visit, I'm constantly looking at real estate ads. It's beautiful, I love the nature, the weather, and the food. Fresh produce, flowers year round-what's not to love??? Did I mention that it's 22 degrees here, snowing, and huge blowing wind gusts?????

For most folks I've known in the true South (not in border areas as where I live now), they've never known a stranger and welcome all comers. You will find a more genteel lifestyle further south and in smaller cities than you will in border areas or larger cities.

Because some have experienced ridicule from people coming in from other areas in past generations, they may be reticent to accept/trust northerners coming in, but if you are open, friendly, and welcoming - accepting of a different lifestyle without passing immediate judgment on differences, then I think folks anywhere will open up to you....

Ummmmm, well, I don't want to sound like I'm stereotyping, and you have to remember that these are just examples and I am not trying to represent the people and culture as a whole - they are far to complex anywhere to be pigeon-holed that way.

That being said - the "deep" south is simply more..... southern - I suppose. More serious about church, more racism - both directions (sorry, but this is based off my personal experience, so take it as it is), there seems to be more segregation (this seems to be by choice by both races)....

I think what most are referring to as "rural" and "city" south can be paralleled to my "south" and "deep south".

Huh. :001_huh:

I think you may be mistaken about your definition of "south" and "deep south." But then I don't think there really is one. I was born and grew up mostly in Virginia; both of my mother's parents are from North Carolina, as far back as the late 1600s. Some people don't consider Virginia to be "South." :glare: They're wrong, bless their hearts.:D

So I was just wondering how you defined "Deep South."

The Short Version: We are seriously considering a move to the South (USA). I was raised here (New Jersey), and lived in the Midwest (Missouri) for several years while in school. My husband was raised in California, but has lived here for seven years now. He still misses the West Coast.

If you are a "Northerner" who has moved South, please tell me about your experiences with being transplanted to a new climate. ;) How long have you lived in the South now? Do you still feel like an outsider? Do you ever feel as though you belong?

If your husband misses the West Coast, why not look in that area?

Since your thread went off on several tangents, I wanted to answer your original question. I don't want to get your thread shut down, so I'm going to try to be honest, but respectful. And I realize that everyone's experience is going to be different.

We moved to Texas about a year ago. We're originally from Chicago. I've lived all over the world and the US. We are also a biracial family. My husband was moved here by the company he works for. (My husband works in a very specialized industry.)

I really think you should visit what area you're looking into... In fact, do a lot of research - what are the schools like, do they have parks, what is there to do, what are the demographics, etc. Really do some research and make sure it's something you want to do before you sell your house and relocate your family.

Also, I would suggest sticking close to the city. Like I said, we're a biracial family and we've had several negative experiences in our town during kids' activities. We're actually moving in May/June INTO the city. (And, I know that paragraph isn't going to set well with some people, but the question was asked. I apologize if that offends anyone.)

Another thing to consider, I don't know what kind of denomination you are...but we had a really rough time finding a congregation here. There were 3 or 4 churches to choose from and they're far - and the congregations are tiny. I think we have about 30-50 people at our worship services. That might be something to consider also. We have some Catholic friends here and they said there was basically 1 big parish to choose from. We did end up finding a church (in our denom.) and they have been really, really nice. That church has been one of the high points about our relocation here.

OK, about rural. We were originally going to buy some acreage in a rural area. Make sure you research that, too. Texas has some seriously bizarre property laws which turned us completely away from purchasing rural property. My husband's employees have some horror stories. Their zoning/codes are very different here and there's also a huge controversy in some areas on gas drilling and the aquifer (further west). And you should probably research that no matter what state you relocate to.

The house values where we live are much lower. However, their property taxes are astronomical. Also, our utilities seem to be about 2-3 times more expensive than they were in our last home (and this home is smaller by about 600 square feet). We seem to have a lot of power outages here, which was on the news recently - we had to get our electricity from Mexico.

The groceries are cheaper, but there doesn't seem to be as much of a selection...but there are farmer's markets here which I really, REALLY like. I've been trying to buy a lot of local food and the organic produce here seems to be about the same price as the regular produce.

OK, another thought on codes. I don't know if it's the area we're in or just this part of the country, but the codes are really lax. To give you an example, I went into my daughter's preschool and some of the outlet covers were broken off and the swings were broken outside. Up north, they probably would've gotten a ticket from the city (and parents would've been outside with torches and pitchforks).

You asked if we fit in...No. Twice now, people have come up to me (like at the park) and asked if I was from Canada (maybe an Illinois accent sounds like a Canadian accent to them or something). Kids have come up to my kids and asked, "What country are you from?" A lady also asked me at the store recently what part of the country we were from...I told her Chicago and she said that we had the politest kids she had ever seen...Lol... It's been mostly curiosity maybe...but we did have a really bad experience a couple of weeks ago.

About work...the company my husband works for is incredible. It's the best company he's ever worked with. They are pretty awesome. There seems to be a lot of jobs for college graduates in this area. Also, there are a lot of college areas - which means there's coffee shops, bookstores, etc - stuff I really like. :)

Well, good luck with your decision.

Huh. :001_huh:

I think you may be mistaken about your definition of "south" and "deep south." But then I don't think there really is one. I was born and grew up mostly in Virginia; both of my mother's parents are from North Carolina, as far back as the late 1600s. Some people don't consider Virginia to be "South." :glare: They're wrong, bless their hearts.:D

So I was just wondering how you defined "Deep South."

:iagree:

You'd think, what with the capitol being here, we'd be accepted by now. :lol:

Yes you are so right about the taxes!!

I actually wish we did pay more taxes here. I get frustrated with the different initiatives that are "stopped" and shut down by the people of our county.

It is nice to pay low taxes. But I have definitely come to appreciate the benefits we had through paying them in PA.

The economy is also very different here which is so frutrating.

I am not one to rejoice in the low taxes and cry out at the bad roads.

I hear you. I agree. I guess I am just the rare bird that would pay more for better...

Rebecca

ok, I'm from Jersey, but my parents now live in PA and my dh's family is in PA. We drive through PA a lot. I don't believe any of that higher property tax goes to better roads, except for the turnpike, but you have to pay extra for that. :tongue_smilie:

We have horrible roads, but just north of where I live they know how to take care of the roads. While there does need to be some sort of income stream in order to take care of the roads, it's also a matter of priority.

If your husband misses the West Coast, why not look in that area?

Since your thread went off on several tangents, I wanted to answer your original question. I don't want to get your thread shut down, so I'm going to try to be honest, but respectful. And I realize that everyone's experience is going to be different.

We moved to Texas about a year ago. We're originally from Chicago. I've lived all over the world and the US. We are also a biracial family. My husband was moved here by the company he works for. (My husband works in a very specialized industry.)

I really think you should visit what area you're looking into... In fact, do a lot of research - what are the schools like, do they have parks, what is there to do, what are the demographics, etc. Really do some research and make sure it's something you want to do before you sell your house and relocate your family.

Also, I would suggest sticking close to the city. Like I said, we're a biracial family and we've had several negative experiences in our town during kids' activities. We're actually moving in May/June INTO the city. (And, I know that paragraph isn't going to set well with some people, but the question was asked. I apologize if that offends anyone.)

Another thing to consider, I don't know what kind of denomination you are...but we had a really rough time finding a congregation here. There were 3 or 4 churches to choose from and they're far - and the congregations are tiny. I think we have about 30-50 people at our worship services. That might be something to consider also. We have some Catholic friends here and they said there was basically 1 big parish to choose from. We did end up finding a church (in our denom.) and they have been really, really nice. That church has been one of the high points about our relocation here.

OK, about rural. We were originally going to buy some acreage in a rural area. Make sure you research that, too. Texas has some seriously bizarre property laws which turned us completely away from purchasing rural property. My husband's employees have some horror stories. Their zoning/codes are very different here and there's also a huge controversy in some areas on gas drilling and the aquifer (further west). And you should probably research that no matter what state you relocate to.

The house values where we live are much lower. However, their property taxes are astronomical. Also, our utilities seem to be about 2-3 times more expensive than they were in our last home (and this home is smaller by about 600 square feet). We seem to have a lot of power outages here, which was on the news recently - we had to get our electricity from Mexico.

The groceries are cheaper, but there doesn't seem to be as much of a selection...but there are farmer's markets here which I really, REALLY like. I've been trying to buy a lot of local food and the organic produce here seems to be about the same price as the regular produce.

OK, another thought on codes. I don't know if it's the area we're in or just this part of the country, but the codes are really lax. To give you an example, I went into my daughter's preschool and some of the outlet covers were broken off and the swings were broken outside. Up north, they probably would've gotten a ticket from the city (and parents would've been outside with torches and pitchforks).

You asked if we fit in...No. Twice now, people have come up to me (like at the park) and asked if I was from Canada (maybe an Illinois accent sounds like a Canadian accent to them or something). Kids have come up to my kids and asked, "What country are you from?" A lady also asked me at the store recently what part of the country we were from...I told her Chicago and she said that we had the politest kids she had ever seen...Lol... It's been mostly curiosity maybe...but we did have a really bad experience a couple of weeks ago.

About work...the company my husband works for is incredible. It's the best company he's ever worked with. They are pretty awesome. There seems to be a lot of jobs for college graduates in this area. Also, there are a lot of college areas - which means there's coffee shops, bookstores, etc - stuff I really like. :)

Well, good luck with your decision.

Re: the bolded. We are a mixed race family and we have experienced issues as well, in the state to the East of you. There are some places in our state you would not ever see me living, simply because there is just not any diversity and I hate the stares, the stupid questions, and so on. We have experienced fewer issues, like you, near larger communities that are more diverse. To the OP, I would look for communities that are near enough to large cities to be 'commuter areas' or nearer colleges. We have found that the more educated an area is, the less we have to deal with racism or ignorance.

To someone else that says they don't fit in - don't just assume it is because you are from the northern US. I grew up here and can't find a homeschool group that really fits our family. For some I am too liberal, others too conservative, too Christian, not Catholic/Baptist/Pentecostal enough, and so on.

Based on your update, I would suggest, if you have the option, living near a city. It doesn't have to be a large city. Knoxville and Chattanooga are nice, so is the Chapel Hill are. Huntington is a beautiful city. You don't have to live far from the big towns in order to be rural (especially if you are used to Jersey!), but you will find it much easier to adjust if you live near a larger town.

I was born in the SW, but I've lived in the SE for more than half of my life. OP, it sounds like you and your family would do very well with most things "southern". I, however, find them oppressive. Racial discrimination is alive and well down here. There are those of us who find it disgusting and attempt to make a change by teaching our children that all people are valuable and equal, but I've encountered many who still pass down racial prejudices to their children. It's one of the things I despise the most about this region (that and the heat and humidity - also oppressive!). If you're counting on financial pluses, be sure to thoroughly research your prospective state or city closely. I pay higher sales taxes than you do. My property tax is much cheaper than in the north, though. You can also sually get more house for the money down here than up there. Some positives about living in the south are 1) a longer growing season supporting a wide variety of plants 2) lighter weight winter clothing - though this winter caught us by surprise! 3) large green areas 4) slower pace of life (if you're into that sort of thing) - even the larger cities down here are not as fast paced as your large cities up there.

Good luck with your decision!

We spent 6 months in KY back when DH was in the Army and it was an eye-opening experience for me. Having previously only lived in New England and California, I had naively thought that anti-Catholicism was a thing of the past. I was shocked by all the nasty comments that people thought nothing of making to my face.

I'm sure there are folks elsewhere who feel the same way privately but they keep their opinions to themselves. I really don't understand what someone hopes to gain by acting so nasty- didn't they ever hear the old saying about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar? If you want me to consider converting to your denomination, you might start by being nice...

Yes, this. I was completely turned off by one denomination when I was in high school. That denomination in the SW back then was totally different from in the SE. When a church I attended upon moving to a new area in the SE started preaching that only their followers were going to Heaven and Catholics in particular would burn, I left that church. Thinking about some of the things I heard there turns my stomach even now. I guess the religious prejudices in this region of the country rank up there with racial discrimination for me.

ETA: Revised my wording to cover for the denomination I'm speaking out against. I don't want to start a flame war on this thread, and I'm sure there are many here who would not appreciate hearing my experience regarding this very popular denomination.

Edited by kimmie38017

Because some have experienced ridicule from people coming in from other areas in past generations, they may be reticent to accept/trust northerners coming in, but if you are open, friendly, and welcoming - accepting of a different lifestyle without passing immediate judgment on differences, then I think folks anywhere will open up to you....

That was what we thought. We moved to the south to be in the south, we took a friendly open approach. We were never able to get passed the surface familiarity with more than a small handful of people. We typically move about every five years, so we were used to being the new unfamiliar people and previously never had an issue making friends.

I do think it was indicative more of where we were than just "the south". We were even ready to move to another area of the south as the economy kind of tanked in our area. But we felt led to move back to the mid-west.

I miss the lizards that used to hang out on my house, I miss the tall tall pine trees, but I don't miss the isolated feelings we had while living there.

ok, I'm from Jersey, but my parents now live in PA and my dh's family is in PA. We drive through PA a lot. I don't believe any of that higher property tax goes to better roads, except for the turnpike, but you have to pay extra for that. :tongue_smilie:

We have horrible roads, but just north of where I live they know how to take care of the roads. While there does need to be some sort of income stream in order to take care of the roads, it's also a matter of priority.

Have you ever been to WNC in the winter?

That is what I am talking about...

Also- where I live- there are PRIVATE roads which we live on and do not own therefore it is not taken care of... that relates to the whole code thing another thread brought up. My husband routinely got stuck almost one half mile from our house this winter and had to walk up a mountain to get to our house because they do not plow...

It is not about the crazy PA turnpike or route 22 or any of those other crazy roads of which I know what you are talking about... I meant something totally different.

I hope this makes sense.

The traffic and the natural beauty are amazing. The mountain in the winter is scary.

Rebecca

Dh and I grew up in VA, moved away 23 years ago (the last 11 in NJ), and are negotiating to buy a house in Blacksburg, VA right now. We are looking forward to, among other things, the southern hospitality and overall politeness, the much lower property taxes, and being near family again (I think!).

I would suggest looking at places that have a fair number of transplants. When we lived in Atlanta, it seemed like 90% of the people we met were from somewhere else. I would imagine it would be tougher to be a transplant from the north in a small town.

I haven't read all the answers, but based solely on your OP with the added info, etc., I'm thinking you would really love Charlotte, NC. :) We came from NH to here 5 years ago seeking all you desire, and we have found it. We LOVE it here! Plus, the homeschooling community is very vibrant here, so that is a definite plus for you.

I'm from Pittsburgh and after a long stint in South America, I've lived in Houston for almost 8 years. I like it here, but I think I like the things that make Houston less "southern". There's a lot of activities available and Houston is very, very diverse. My suburb is not laid-back, it's full of tiger(ish) moms making sure their kids are on track to a good college, although they're usually aiming for UT or A&M instead of Harvard or Yale. I fit in fine in the wider community, but hsing around here is dominated by evangelicals and it's harder to find compatible families. We did eventually and life is pretty good now. The weather is great 9 months out of the year, we do get leaves changing color around Thanksgiving and we sometimes get a bit of snow. Summer is hot, but it was hot in Pgh too, and I'd rather have milder winters. The one thing that bugs me is the way that native southerners talk very quietly. We're more a "Cake Boss" kind of family and I sometimes feel judged about that, but it's a fairly minor annoyance given all the good parts of living in Houston.

You've just described the Dallas area I live in! Though Houston is much warmer and humid than the DFW area. ;)

The town I live in (north of Dallas -- Collin County) has many people from out of state in a yuppie-like suburb. WOGA is here. And Men's Health Magazine just voted my town the BEST place to raise your child to be an athlete. The sports mania here can be cutthroat. There will be some cultural shock, so be prepared.

We moved here from CA (My maternal family hails from Texas long before it was a republic. I'm back to my roots!) and tho' I greatly miss CA, I find the DFW area to be nice. You'll love how friendly everyone is. BTW, if there is an ice freeze in the south, stay home. No one around here knows how to drive on ice. LOL

ETA: Personally, I have experienced no prejudice being in the South as a bi-racial couple. (Hubs is blond haired and blue eyes. Me? I look very Hispanic with dark skin and if I let my hair grow long, then people think automatically I am Native American.) I've been on ranches in the panhandle, West Texas, and down to Austin (very open and diverse city to live!) and Houston all of the time. When we visit family in New Mexico, I feel at home -- 'cause everyone looks like me in the stores and places. LOL Hubs suddenly becomes the minority. ;)

I know from my Mama's tales of being a kid in Texas in the 40's-50's, it is not the signs in stores of "No Negros, No Mexicans" or segregated schools or simply you did not want to be out traveling after dark in a small town, kwim? The south is not like that anymore, thankfully. If anything, I have encountered more prejudice as a child growing up in Northern CA in a small farming town than in my adult years traveling and living all over.

Edited by tex-mex

Along the lines of "yes m'am and no sir" (in terms of unsettling many newcomers) is the constant use of endearments. I'm in New Orleans, and one does not get through the day without being called sweetie, honey, darlin', and so on. Yes, by checkout cashiers, total strangers, and work colleagues alike. It's not condescending; everyone pretty much does it to everyone else, it's just a cultural eccentricity ;). Getting indignant and threatening to call a supervisor or sue does not help one to fit in and make friends.

And kids definitely do not call adults by their first name without "Miss" or "Mister" in front of it. Even adults often call each other that way; I am Miss Kat to lots of adults who know me casually or via work, the librarian is Mr. Al to me, and so on. That's more flexible, but if your kids referred to him as Al, every head in the room would swivel and every eyebrow would raise. "Sahamama's kids are nice enough, but not a lick of home training . . . "

I grew up here in central Alabama and then left for college and didn't come back to live here for ten years. Two years ago, my DH and I actually moved back here to my hometown to live. In all honestly, I was hoping to not raise my kids here. I do love my home (especially the rural areas), but I don't love all the people all the time.

I traveled the country extensively during college, and lived outside of the country for eight years as an adult. I find many people here small-town minded (especially the teenagers), and I really want a more world-minded outlook for my kids. I know I'm generalizing here, and there are some great people here, and I do enjoy the cost of living. The homeschool laws are great, and the public schools here are sad. But I've found in my small community, 75% of the homeschoolers I know are from the North and want their kids to think and learn for themselves.

As a side, my friends and I did an experiment, and when I used my southern drawl, I got better customer service every time compared to when I used my neutral tone that I got when I started traveling the country.

Saying all that to say, there are pros and cons to every part of the country. It is all determined by your goals for your family. I also know the friends I've made here will stick with me no matter with I go. I'm still praying we move elsewhere one day.

HA Tex-Mex and I are neighbors:D The Dallas/Fort Worth area is amazing. You can go rural or big city and still be close to everything. Now that being said, it isn't uncommon for us to drive an hour for lunch so close is relative. I hear in other places you can drive an hour and be in another state. You can drive a straight line through Texas for about 15 hours. I have lived here all my life and can't imagine living somewhere where Christianity wasn't so common or accepted. I hear stories about other states being less religious but I guess it is just hard for me to imagine having to live in that environment. Yes sports and manners are a big deal down here and we thank God for it ;) I guess my opinion probably isn't worth much because I have never been anywhere north of the belt. I personally believe that we have such a large number of churches that it would be easy for you to find a church family to join where you felt comfortable.

I love Florida! My parents are snowbirds, and every time we go visit, I'm constantly looking at real estate ads. It's beautiful, I love the nature, the weather, and the food. Fresh produce, flowers year round-what's not to love??? Did I mention that it's 22 degrees here, snowing, and huge blowing wind gusts?????

It was in the 80's here today and not a cloud in the sky. It was beautiful, warm, the sun was shining, just an all around beautiful day. I wish you could have been here to enjoy it and out of that cold. :grouphug:

I guess my point is that racism isn't confined to the South, by any means, and that we are most definitely not all racists.

:iagree::iagree: While South Florida I know isn't "real" Southern, we do have lots of folks from the Southern states down here as well as all of the other states. One of the most racist group of men I've ever encountered down here were from Brooklyn, New York. I think it just goes to show that people are people no matter where you go and racists are racists whether they hail from the South, the North, the West or Mars.