Menu

Seriously? The last SAT had an essay prompt about reality TV?

We never watch reality shows, but I think my guys could have answered the question adequately based on the prompt and their thinking. But then again, my guys know what reality shows are even though we never watch them. It would be harder for people who didn't know I would think.

With all the attention on it, I doubt there will be a similar question. :tongue_smilie:

We never watch reality shows, but I think my guys could have answered the question adequately based on the prompt and their thinking. But then again, my guys know what reality shows are even though we never watch them. It would be harder for people who didn't know I would think.

With all the attention on it, I doubt there will be a similar question. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I think my sons would have been able to answer the question based on what they've heard about reality TV, but they definitely would have been at a disadvantage. Fortunately, we don't have SAT's here until May.

The link won't work for me. Could you please disclose the question?

Here's the section of the article that includes part of the prompt:

By Wednesday, comments on the now-infamous prompt — which included the question, “How authentic can these shows be when producers design challenges for the participants and then editors alter filmed scenes?” — had stretched across nearly 40 pages on College Confidential. Media coverage added to the scrutiny.

ETA: I'm not sure why the link isn't working. You can access the article by going to the NYT website--education page--it's the lead article.

Here's part of it:

“How authentic can these shows be when producers design challenges for the participants and then editors alter filmed scenes?”

I would think a person who didn't watch reality shows could write one this topic thougtfully. There is no right or wrong answer. It's a question about manipulation, really. As long as you have a sense of what a reality show is, one could write something.

I am not saying it's a great question. ;)

I would think a person who didn't watch reality shows could write one this topic thougtfully. There is no right or wrong answer. It's a question about manipulation, really. As long as you have a sense of what a reality show is, one could write something.

I am not saying it's a great question. ;)

Sure. I do think they could write a thoughtful response. Still, the kid who's watched a lot of reality TV and has (hopefully) thought about the topic has a definite advantage over a kid who's never even seen a reality show. Although, perhaps the type of kid who's spent a substantial amount of time watching reality TV doesn't do a whole lot of thinking anyway.

Although, perhaps the type of kid who's spent a substantial amount of time watching reality TV doesn't do a whole lot of thinking anyway.

I think the specific SAT question could be discussed without insulting people who may have a different taste in entertainment than you do.

I think the specific SAT question could be discussed without insulting people who may have a different taste in entertainment than you do.

I was afraid this was going to happen, which is why I said "substantial amount of time." Really though I was being tongue in cheek, but I should know that that never comes across on a message board, so truly I am sorry.

I would delete it if I could, but it's already been quoted.

I've been trying to offer my kids a great books education. I have always assured them that at least ONE of the places where their wide-range of knowledge would be useful will be the SAT. Examples from literature, history, or your personal life.

Dd got in the car on Saturday and said, "Guess what, mom!"

I. was. speechless.

Way to go College Board. Trivialize everything!

If I knew WHO to talk to, someone would have gotten an EARFUL!

Oh - just an FYI - These words are not based on sour grapes (Yup! A lit reference. Who would have THOUGHT!!!!); dd had no problem addressing the prompt. No cable here. Never had it. But dh worked in TV for many years. Everyone here understands that even the news isn't always "real." ;)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

But that's not any different than the ACT's essay prompts. They're about vending machines in schools or dress codes. IMO, the idea isn't to write the great thesis on a scholarly subject, but to see if the kid can write a logical, well put together essay in a limited amount of time.

I'm not suprised, and my dc who have never watched one reality show could have answered well. We analyzed the list of past prompts, and the themes of technology/TV/computers and popular culture are very, very common.

I acutally think the student who watches a lot of reality TV would be tempted to use three examples from TV, which would be a mistake. The student who could spin this question into a discussion about information, media, truth, etc., and use examples from literature and history would prevail.

I acutally think the student who watches a lot of reality TV would be tempted to use three examples from TV, which would be a mistake.

Interesting point. If it's true, that would make a big difference.

Where might one find a listing of past SAT prompts?

Good idea. That would take away any time spent adjusting to the topic.

I acutally think the student who watches a lot of reality TV would be tempted to use three examples from TV, which would be a mistake. The student who could spin this question into a discussion about information, media, truth, etc., and use examples from literature and history would prevail.

This makes sense to me. I think you're probably right about that.

I guess I am different from many of you. I think it is a great question and much better than some of the ones in the practice tests I saw.

I would think almost every teen in America knows about reality tv shows, even if they don't watch them. After all- these shows range from Cops which has been on for more than 20 years to American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and other artistry shows to junk like Jersey Shore and some of the other stuff on channels like MTV. First of all, some of the shows are mostly real, just edited. Others are completely set up. Some are designed to educate along with entertainment (some of the cooking shows, Cops, etc) and some are designed to entertain by making people feel better than others.

Okay some of you don't watch tv, well other children who take these tests haven't necessarily done things your children have. TV is almost ubiquitous in our society. I know from having taught children in homeschooling co-op that many of those who supposedly don't have tv have managed to watch shows on computers. Somehow these kids seemed to know what various shows on tv were even if they didn't have tv. You see tvs in waiting rooms, stores, friend's houses, etc.

Gosh, my 14-year-old has almost never watched TV before, except the occasional news broadcast in a hotel room. She has no idea what a reality show is. I have only the vaguest idea of what it is myself. She would be bewildered by such a question.

This wouldn't be an anti-homeschooling measure, would it? I don't usually think that way, but this seems slanted against kids who stay at home and read classic books.

I read the prompt to my dd, who has never seen a reality TV show. I asked her which category of examples she would use (my dc and most of my students keep a file box with examples in different categories.) She said either truth or technology and named some examples she would use. :D

Here is a list of the prompts: full prompt by date (scroll down page)

Also, here is a list of archetypes post at College Confidential

Edited by angela in ohio

Gosh, my 14-year-old has almost never watched TV before, except the occasional news broadcast in a hotel room. She has no idea what a reality show is. I have only the vaguest idea of what it is myself. She would be bewildered by such a question.

This wouldn't be an anti-homeschooling measure, would it? I don't usually think that way, but this seems slanted against kids who stay at home and read classic books.

The introduction to the question (given in the linked article) tells the student what a reality TV show is, so it doesn't matter if the student knows what it is ahead of time.

I know few homeschoolers who don't watch TV and several private school students who don't. Homeschooling isn't on their radar. The reasons are given in the article.

A student completely unfamiliar with media and technology in general might be at a disadvantage. Any course in current events should contain a discussion of the issues raised by technology, though, imho. Even if we don't watch TV, a student is still going to be well served by understanding the cultural implications of media and technology.

Edited by angela in ohio

The introduction to the question (given in the linked article) tells the student what a reality TV show is, so it doesn't matter if the student knows what it is ahead of time.

yepper.

I read the article and got to see more of the prompt. It does not assume previous knowledge of the topic. Based on the wording that I saw in the article, it could have just as easily said cover photos of catalogs and magazines and had the same assertion and question.

The SAT essay is not a knowledge test about the topic. The prompt tends to consist of an explanatory statement about the topic. Then an assertion on the topic. Finally a question on the assertion. Take a position pro or con on the assertion and answer the question.

The point is to take a position based on the prompt, don't waffle on it, write coherently.

-crystal

Angela,

Thank you for the link to SAT archetypes. Our oldest son took an ACT/SAT course with Julie Bogart and this was the approach she used; i.e. learn to identify the archetype; i.e. the core topic, which is usually related to some aspect of individual character, and then use several core sources to write about a variety of prompts. Our son used McCullough's book on John Adams, a book on Nathaniel Bowditch, and his work experience at Winn Dixie to write on practice prompts and the actual tests. Even though he is not a strong writer, he earned above-average scores with this approch. Julie's class was well-worth the money!

I remember reading a post by Michael Clay Thompson on the MCT yahoo group in the past that discussed the SAT writing component. He took the SAT writing component and turned it in to evaluators. (Actually I can't remember now if it was him specifically or someone working for him). Anyway,he purposely put in obvious errors in facts throughout his essay to see what would happen. He still got the maximum score by the evaluators. His conclusion was that the judgement was purely based on the ability to formulate a well written essay, not necessarily the specific factoids included therein.

I found that to be an interesting experiment. I suppose if you go to the archives of the MCT yahoo group you could find his exact comments. Maybe with this knowledge, we don't need to let our kids start watching TV for SAT prep.:001_huh:

True.

I still think it's absolutely outrageous - but I don't think the children are necessarily severely handicapped for the lack of personal experience with reality shows to be able to improvize a good essay, based on their general knowledge about media, sociology, culture, etc.

I remember reading a post by Michael Clay Thompson on the MCT yahoo group in the past that discussed the SAT writing component. He took the SAT writing component and turned it in to evaluators. (Actually I can't remember now if it was him specifically or someone working for him). Anyway,he purposely put in obvious errors in facts throughout his essay to see what would happen. He still got the maximum score by the evaluators. His conclusion was that the judgement was purely based on the ability to formulate a well written essay, not necessarily the specific factoids included therein.

I heard similar things from Julie Bogart on that that you don't have to be accurate about quoting sources, or having your facts correct. It's about whether or not you can organize your thoughts and write well. The evaluators take about 30 seconds to grade the essay. 2 graders per essay and if their scores are too far apart then a third person gets the essay.

-crystal

The essay doesn't need to include facts. I read a top-scoring essay that used the behavior, etc. of squirrel as the basis of the essay. Also, I have read SAT essays that do not follow the five-paragraph format. In addition, the student does not need to write perfectly. They can neatly cross through errors and continue writing.

Btw, the evaluators are trained. They can quickly read the essay and evaluate it. They have a rubric.

I guess am one of the few people that doesn't think the essay is ridiculous or too much to ask. Students who are competent writers should be able to a write a short essay in 30 minutes. After all, they will need to write on demand in most colleges. In our state, all students must write a timed essay to complete English 102. Yes, the time is longer, two hours, but the parameters and expectations are more complex than the ACT or SAT. I see the essay as a practice issue.

Edited by 1Togo

I guess am one of the few people that doesn't think the essay is ridiculous or too much to ask.

The problem lies in the fact that it's, maybe, too little to ask... It's a very "populist" topic to propose and to use it to measure, well, anything, in the context of the formal school education which is still largely not based on pop-culture (although that's going in a terribly wrong direction too) and aims to perserve the type of culture that's a tad bit more sophisticated and skillful.

I'm not saying that one can't approach this topic too in a very intelligent, though-provoking way, of course one can, and it's not even difficult, it's quite basic media and sociology knowledge that's examined there.

The problem is more in the principle: should such topics be there in the first place? In my view, no, even if large majority of standardized essay tests is moving in that direction and that's sad to see. That's why I find it outrageous, not because I think it's too difficult or too much to ask. ;)

The problem lies in the fact that it's, maybe, too little to ask

I don't think the SAT essay is intended to measure anything about knowledge or deep thinking (hard to do any deep thinking in 25 minutes). It is a way to determine whether the student is able to take some kind of two-sided question and argue one point of view in correct English, with a standard structure to his essay, correct logic and semantics.

I don't find the TV topic any worse than the typical questions - whether stress is good or bad, whether failure can lead to achievement, whether electronic media are good or bad for human relationships. ANYTHING one can have an opinion on can be made into an essay topic.

I could certainly write about the TV prompt without having a TV - it is common sense. I don't watch shows - but I have a clear opinion on how "real" reality shows can possibly be.

The SAT essay does not measure knowledge of literature or philosophy or any *content* area. I do not think it does even really test whether a student can write well, because the format is so artificial (in which real situation do you have 25 minutes to produce a persuasive essay about a topic which you have never seen or though about before?).

In the framework of the essay format, this prompt is as good or as bad as all the others.

Students who are competent writers should be able to a write a short essay in 30 minutes. After all, they will need to write on demand in most colleges. In our state, all students must write a timed essay to complete English 102. Yes, the time is longer, two hours, but the parameters and expectations are more complex than the ACT or SAT. I see the essay as a practice issue.

The problem my current guy has with writing the essays is not necessarily with the topic (even this one), it's with the lack of time to organize his thoughts. He likes to think and process his thoughts about a topic, then, will sit down and write an extremely good essay in a short period of time. He's won two essay contests now that each had over 200 competitors and both times he wrote his essay the night before he turned it in, but thought about it for at least a week before that. He just can't do it in 30 minutes from receiving the topic to finished product. The best he's gotten on the ACT Writing was an 8.

I'm glad the majority of schools realize not all good writers can write at the drop of a hat. I'm not the least bit worried about his ability to write in college. He's had an English PhD College Prof (who supervised my three guys English for me for a year) already tell him he's fantastic and could write for a living if he wanted to. But he won't likely get a 12 due to the way his brain processes thoughts.

No, I don't think so, because the prompt says what a reality TV show is.

Anybody with any kind of imagination can imagine how "real" a person's life is when filmed by a TV crew and form an opinion of some sort.

The test does not judge your opinion (there is no right or wrong - even though I think there would be a rather strong consensus about this one)- you can make up any opinion and just have to defend it.

I would assume that even a homeschooled student knows what a "TV" is and that there are people who watch shows on it.

Of course it doesn't measure anything, as any mass standard test, writing itself being a particularly tricky area to "standardize" and half an hour is barely enough for an introduction into a decent essay, so that's not an option.

Yet, I firmly believe that there are better and worse options there too, and that going that populist is one of the worse options.

My dd enjoyed the question. We had just recently watched some reality tv shows and have, of course, discussed them thoroughly as we were watching. It has been a "family" experience, so it has been v. fun and exciting for all of us to put our 2 cents in. We've all had lots to say. I do think it was a nice test of thought organization and the ability to express facts and opinions logically. There was plenty of room in the prompt to bring in academics such as literature and history if the student wanted to. Students do need to be situated in the modern world, homeschoolers are not all hermits!!!!

I read the prompt to my dd, who has never seen a reality TV show. I asked her which category of examples she would use (my dc and most of my students keep a file box with examples in different categories.) She said either truth or technology and named some examples she would use. :D

Here is a list of the prompts: full prompt by date (scroll down page)

Also, here is a list of archetypes post at College Confidential

Angela, can you tell me about the file box? This sounds like a great idea. How do you decide your categories? What information do you include in the file? Are all of the examples from literature?

Angela, can you tell me about the file box? This sounds like a great idea. How do you decide your categories? What information do you include in the file? Are all of the examples from literature?

I learned about it from Kim Kautzer (sp?) from WriteShop many years ago. She did a conference workshop on teaching timed writing. She shared the general concept of keeping note cards, but didn't share her specific topics or examples.

I analyzed the archetypes list and the full list of prompts from over the years. I came up with 10 categories that would cover just about any scenario and added a short description to help my students. In fact, I copied off the final question from all of the prompts and had my students write in the number of the prompt(s) they would use, and they covered every single one, often with more than one applying to the question.

The 10 categories (and my notes to students) are:

1. Individuality - Find examples of people who were unique, who didn't foloow the crowd, and who were successful (or unsuccessful) because of it.

2. Authority - Find exmaples of people and events that show that following an authority figure is good (or bad.)

3. Creativity - Find examples to illustrate that creativity, originality, or artistry is important (or not important.)

4. Technology - Find examples of ways that modern technology is beneficial (or harmful) to society.

5. Heroes - Find examples of heroes, both conventional and (especially) unconventional.

6. Tradition - Find examples of people or events that show that we should value (or dismiss) tradition and the wisdom of the past.

7. Truth - Find examples of lives or events to prove that one must always be honest (or that deceit is sometimes necessary or justified.)

8. Compromise - Find exmaples of times that it is best (or not) to compromise or find the middle ground.

9. Success - Find exmaples of people who acheived great things and the reason they did: overcoming hardship, ethics or lack of, intelligence, focus, high expectations of themselves, etc.

10. Decisions- Find examples of difficult decisions that had to be made and how they were made.

They are required to at least write 3-4 cards per week. I ask them to choose them from history, literature, science, and current events. The card includes the name of the person or events and one or two brief notes.

As with so many other things, even thought I think the SAT writing section is lame, I can still teach my dc how to master it while teaching skills they needed anyway.

Just last night, my dh had under an hour to write a two page letter in an attempt to persuade a school district official to follow a certain law, and that included time needed to quickly research the situation. Knowing how to write an adequately structured essay in short order isn't a bad skill to have. Is it all I hope for in writing? Do I think it is a measure of future college success? No on both counts. But it isn't hard to teach, and I don't think it's a useless skill to have.

Learning to categorize events and people and see themes emerge has been an incredible logic stage exercise. My dc are ready for any essay prompt, no matter how trivial (or "relevant" :D) it may be. They can also use their bank of examples to back up their arguments in other areas.

I found that to be an interesting experiment. I suppose if you go to the archives of the MCT yahoo group you could find his exact comments. Maybe with this knowledge, we don't need to let our kids start watching TV for SAT prep.:001_huh:

Yes, every SAT prep book says the same thing. I have never heard the College Board argue otherwise. It is judging writing and writing alone (and a very specific type at that,) not any factual knowledge. You can make up every example if you like, though if an evaluator happens to know the truth, that may make them question your intelligence, even if they technically aren't allowed to grade on that. ;)

Guest Dulcimeramy
I learned about it from Kim Kautzer (sp?) from WriteShop many years ago. She did a conference workshop on teaching timed writing. She shared the general concept of keeping note cards, but didn't share her specific topics or examples.

I analyzed the archetypes list and the full list of prompts from over the years. I came up with 10 categories that would cover just about any scenario and added a short description to help my students. In fact, I copied off the final question from all of the prompts and had my students write in the number of the prompt(s) they would use, and they covered every single one, often with more than one applying to the question.

1. Individuality - Find examples of people who were unique, who didn't foloow the crowd, and who were successful (or unsuccessful) because of it.

2. Authority - Find exmaples of people and events that show that following an authority figure is good (or bad.)

3. Creativity - Find examples to illustrate that creativity, originality, or artistry is important (or not important.)

4. Technology - Find examples of ways that modern technology is beneficial (or harmful) to society.

5. Heroes - Find examples of heroes, both conventional and (especially) unconventional.

6. Tradition - Find examples of people or events that show that we should value (or dismiss) tradition and the wisdom of the past.

7. Truth - Find examples of lives or events to prove that one must always be honest (or that deceit is sometimes necessary or justified.)

8. Compromise - Find exmaples of times that it is best (or not) to compromise or find the middle ground.

9. Success - Find exmaples of people who acheived great things and the reason they did: overcoming hardship, ethics or lack of, intelligence, focus, high expectations of themselves, etc.

10. Decisions- Find examples of difficult decisions that had to be made and how they were made.

They are required to at least write 3-4 cards per week. I ask them to choose them from history, literature, science, and current events. The card includes the name of the person or events and one or two brief notes.

As with so many other things, even thought I think the SAT writing section is lame, I can still teach my dc how to master it while teaching skills they needed anyway.

Just last night, my dh had under an hour to write a two page letter in an attempt to persuade a school district official to follow a certain law, and that included time needed to quickly research the situation. Knowing how to write an adequately structured essay in short order isn't a bad skill to have. Is it all I hope for in writing? Do I think it is a measure of future college success? No on both counts. But it isn't hard to teach, and I don't think it's a useless skill to have.

Learning to categorize events and people and see themes emerge has been an incredible logic stage exercise. My dc are ready for any essay prompt, no matter how trivial (or "relevant" :D) it may be. They can also use their bank of examples to back up their arguments in other areas.

WOW.

I can say that almost nothing has contributed to my own development as a homeschool teacher more than reading the WTM boards.

Thanks for sharing this! Off to prepare a file box....

No, I don't think so, because the prompt says what a reality TV show is.

Anybody with any kind of imagination can imagine how "real" a person's life is when filmed by a TV crew and form an opinion of some sort.

The test does not judge your opinion (there is no right or wrong - even though I think there would be a rather strong consensus about this one)- you can make up any opinion and just have to defend it.

I would assume that even a homeschooled student knows what a "TV" is and that there are people who watch shows on it.

Exactly.

The whole idea is to be able to write, period. Show your skills. The prompt was easily explained and IMO, the pop culture reference is well known even if you were living under a rock. Anyone can talk their way out of a paper bag in a basic essay prompt. If not now... what will that same student do with a crazy professor who assigns a nuttier topic to write on in college? BS as if you knew about it and write to impress the prof. Get the good grade. And never take that class again. LOL ;) Survival writing!

Thank you so much! I love this idea! This will fit perfectly with our writing program.

Why can't CB just stick to academic topics?

Because the SAT essay is not supposed to measure academic performance, but writing skills. Any academic topic, by its nature, will introduce a bias: students who covered this academic subject will do better since they KNOW something about the toipic. It is my understanding of the SAT that it eliminates ANY testing of academics outside of pure math and English skills - and that the essay question is intentionally devoid of any academic content to give every student the opportunity to express an opinion.

The essay is not about testing knowledge, it is only about testing whether a student can write and argue a point within this narrow format.

Here is another article that sheds even more light on this and shows that knowledge of the topic is not required. Also, read the article to see that some students got a variation on this topic about photography in general.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/reality-tv-and-the-sat-did-students-miss-the-point-of-the-essay-question-2465881/

I like this pull quote from the article:the essay prompt wasn't about specific reality TV shows, but about authenticity and deception.

-crystal

but it may be of interest in this thread. More about the SAT essay:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4634566

excerpt:

[MIT Professor] Dr. PERELMAN: Well, one of the things on the instructions for readers was that they said, you know, `Don't worry about facts.' You know, a student is encouraged to put in a date even if they don't know the date. They're encouraged to put in lots of details even if the details don't really fit the argument. One of the things this emphasizes is what's called the five-paragraph essay, you know, and that one of the things at most colleges happens is that we spend the first year deprogramming them from the five-paragraph essay.

"Fooling the College Board"

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/03/26/writing

OTOH, I've heard (on this board) that some colleges (Yale, Harvard, IIRC) will ask to see the scan of the actual essay the kid writes on the SAT (as opposed to just looking at the score) because that's the only time the college can see how the kid writes all by him/herself -- without "handlers" such as parents, teachers, and highly paid consultants tweaking and massaging the essays on the college application. I suppose that says something about our times ...

• 1 year later...

I know that in board years, this post is quite old, but I thought the quoted info above, as well as the College Confidential list of archtypes with sample prompts was one of the more insightful things I've ever read about SAT essay writing.

I thought it was worthy of resurrecting.

I know that in board years, this post is quite old, but I thought the quoted info above, as well as the College Confidential list of archtypes with sample prompts was one of the more insightful things I've ever read about SAT essay writing.

I thought it was worthy of resurrecting.

And it's not just good for the SAT. My middle dd showed up at the HSPT because she was thinking of attending private high school. She didn't know that this school also added an essay component after the regular test. :D The question was an SAT-type question about success. She was able to write a 5 paragraph essay with three good examples. When we went in to meet with the counselor, she was blown away by her writing. And this is my dd who doesn't write very maturely yet. :lol:

Way back when I was earning my MS Ed, there was also a question like this on the GRE.

I think these skills would also really help with AP exam essays. There is a direct application for the English exams and I think there is also some cross over with the history exams, even though both of those require some content mastery as well.

I also like the .doc"]AP English Major Works Data Sheets that help a student think through a piece of literature and its themes.

I'm still looking for something similar for history. The closest I've come is the analysis worksheets from the National Archives. I think if you worked through these for a number of primary sources (using for example, some of the illustrations in The Story of US or American Heritage books or American Pageant) that you would have a pretty good skill set for doing document based questions.