Menu

pros and cons of owning a dog

OK...this is a spin-off of my other thread...

we might be the proud owners of a Brittney Spaniel. He is a puppy. He is house broken, very gentle with the children, not going to get very big (which is good for us), doesn't appear to chew on anything that isn't his. He is kennel trained as well. BUT, we have never owned a dog...have NO idea about what it really means...time, costs, etc. So, would you please tell me what my pros and cons are???

Pros:

They are the world's oldest security system. even a small yappy dog has a heightened sense of smell and hearing and can alert you to dangers/ unexpected situations faster.

Therapeutic comfort -- petting an animal does wonders for the psyche

Training can be fun - doing things WITH a dog/pet like tricks and obstacle courses can be rewarding

DogScouts.org. Pricey, but what a COOL idea!!

4-H Dog Project/ Dog Merit Badges for Scouting. Make it an educational, academic endeavor. Develop a 4-H speech and win at State for scholarships, whether you do anything career wise w/ dogs or not.

fairly easy to take along to parks n such - they naturally enjoy being with you-- their pack.

Kids tend to like taking responsibility for them. reminders needed, yeah, but still... ;)

Cons:

They bite. even small dogs. If you have a dog w/ a bad temperament or not trained well that bites a person even one time, it can be a huge legal liability.

They tend to roam. If your dog gets out and onto other people's yards, they can cost you money, legal liability in property damage, or be shot [dead or severely injured]

Vet bills. Between a well-check, tests, vaccinations, microchipping, and preventive maintenance [flea/heartworm] you can spend several hundred dollars a year on even a low-budget vet bill.

Another mouth to feed. we use basic Dog Chow, but many prefer a Raw diet-- setting up food for another critter needs to be a habit.

Can't take a dog everywhere: extra hotel fees, some places they aren't allowed period. Either need to have them able to be out in a yard at home, come home to let them out if they are inside, get a friend to dog sit/ visit, or board them [$$].

You probably don't speak Dog-- gotta learn a new language. :-) Learn dog body language and pack behavior so you and your family are leaders of the pack. Will probably upset the typical American ideas of owning a dog.

Registration: many cities require a registration fee. check if it is yearly and if there's a difference for intact animals.

There tend to be a lot more cons than pros, but the pros outweigh the cons in my book. ;) The biggest pro is the security feature-- even if they don't DO anything usually, you might be surprised how even a lovable friendly couch potato will spring into action at REAL danger.

The biggest con is the legal liability. Once your dog leaves your property, you are at the mercy of the world. Be prepared and know the laws....and your dog.

Edited by Peek a Boo

This won't be popular, but I think dogs are a lot of trouble. We've had two dogs and two cats, and I'll take a cat any old time. It's not even that I'm a ''cat person" (I'm actually a "dog person"); I just think cats are sooooo much easier.

Dogs are messier and require more attention. You can't just pick up and go - you have to make arrangements. If you have a big dog like we do, they need to be run several times a day. Trips to the vet are outrageous. Our dog runs off even if we're standing right there. :glare: (Yes, he's been trained.) It's not just big dogs. We watch our neighbor's little dog when they go away, and we have to let him out five times a day.

Sorry to sound so negative! We've had our dog for ten years, and the older the kids get the less they do for him because of time constraints. That leaves most of the care to... you guessed it, me. I'm coming to the end of my physical caregiving days as a mom, and now I'm caring for an elderly dog. I don't wanna!

All that said, our dog has been fun to have on hikes and I do feel safer having him around. That said, we will never have another dog; we're sticking to cats from now on. :001_smile:

I’m a big dog lover and think the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Pros:

· Great companions-you will love come to love your dog so much and experience how much comfort he will bring you.

· Reduces stress

· Encourage you to exercise by walking him

· Health benefits-reduces blood pressure, enhances your mood (less depression) (which can save you money by not going to the doctor)

· Provide unconditional love—you will never be lonely. He will meet you at the door, be excited to see you.

· Great entertainment- he will be fun to be with, will make you laugh

· Home Security

· Great way to teach kids responsibility. By caring him, they’re learning discipline, caring for other, life skills

· Dogs are great conversation starters . . . you will meet more people and talk to more people at the dog park, going on walks

Cons:

· More work and responsibility-which some people don’t like. You have to feed them, play them take them to the vet, potty train them

· Expense-dog food, vet bills, toys, etc.

· Mess-they might have accidents in the house, carry in dirt

· Need to be properly trained and socialized or they can be a liability

I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leash-What-Around/dp/034544678X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I recommend this forum: http://www.dogforums.com/

I recommend these discussions of the breed: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/brittany.htm and http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/brittanys.html

Edited by RoughCollie

"Housebroken" is a relative term, esp for a puppy.:001_smile: We are fostering 3 lab puppies. To us, they are housebroken because we make sure they have a potty routine. They're not old enough to signal they have to go out, though. Find out how housebroken he is. :001_smile:

What are your outside accommodations? Do you have a fenced yard? Will someone wipe his feet when he comes in on muddy days?

Are your dc old enough to not let the dog out front?

Spaniels will shed. And they need to be brushed daily.

He's not chewing on things because nothing is left out. You will have to be diligent to make sure he doesn't decide to chew on your furniture or cabinets.

I hate to bring this up, but the heartbreak at the end of their lives is awful. Some people want to shield their dc from that.

All this said, we have 4 dogs and the 3 puppies. They're worth it.:001_smile:

I can't imagine not having a dog in my life. Since I was 2yo, the only time I have been dogless was after my dog I'd had from puppydom died while I was in high school until my now-dh (back then just-boyfriend) got me a puppy that he kept at his house (because my apartment didn't allow dogs) my junior year in college. So I was without a dog for 6 years (didn't get another dog when the one I'd grown up with died because I knew I wouldn't be able to have one in the dorms and I only had 3 more years at home.

Our dogs were always outdoor dogs until we got our golden. She really didn't do well as an outdoor dog. We always had 2-3 dogs at a time until we got her. When she was 6 months old, we moved and our other dog jumped over the fence and disappeared. She didn't do well outside on her own (very destructive), so we brought her inside and she immediately calmed down. She did destroy a few toys in the house, but not many and she stopped chewing on stuff by the time she was 1yo.

Since we brought her indoors, we hung some jingle bells from the back door. She shakes them with her nose when she wants to go out. If we don't respond after 2 or 3 tries, she'll bark to be let out.

For our family, the pros and cons are as follows:

Cons:

*Having to find care when you go out of town

* Dog hair around the house, on clothing, etc.

*Extra time to care for them when it's raining outside and you have to dry muddy paws, you have to clean up inside spills they make, etc.

* Icky messes....poopy scooping the backyard, doggie throw up on the floor

Pros:

*Watching my kids have a ball playing with the dogs

* automatic alarm system

* Having a furry friend to snuggle with

* Having at least *someone* think you are the absolute best thing in the world LOL

Pros:

foot warmer (my dog did this last night)

someone to welcome you home

unconditional love

when no one else will listen, the dog will

great experience for kids

like seeing the world though a whole new perspective

A reason to make the kids exercise (go walk the dog!)

Cons:

decide now WHO is going to pick up the poo

they chew

they may bite

they like to jump (training will help)

the hair (a Brittney is easy)

the vaccines

the heartworm medication

flea prevention (yes, prevent BEFORE it's an issue)

vet bills

There is nothing like a good dog. In our town we have someone who takes their lab to work everyday. he stands in the back of a truck and barks all the way down the street. It's hilarious. He does it coming and going. It sounds like the happiest dog in the world.

My own dog is a toddler (6 year old lab), she has separation anxiety from me. She hates it when I leave the house. I was sick for a week and she stayed in the bedroom with me the whole time. I've never had a dog that was so attached to me, I love it.

It's really nice because ds gets to experience some sibling-like frustration. he's constantly telling the cat and dog what to do.

We have a cat and I love my cat, but the litter box drives me crazy.

That said, we will never have another dog; we're sticking to cats from now on. :001_smile:

We've had cats much longer than we've had dogs. All of our pets have been wonderful, but I must say that our cats were just as much trouble as our dogs. The worst was one cat who who kept finding foam toys in the house, eating them, and having to have surgery to remove the blockage. We thought we got rid of it all so how he managed to find stuff, I'll never know. He had 3 incidents which totaled about $1800 and that doesn't even count all the rest of the regular stuff. As our cats got older, they started peeing on things. The major reason we replaced the carpeting throughout the entire house was because of them getting sick and having accidents. egads!

Then of course there were the litter boxes in both bathrooms that always had to be kept clean. Those were pretty yucky. I like that dogs go outside. :tongue_smilie:

That said, we always have indoor cats. We don't believe in letting them outdoors. We treat all of our pets like family. We pay for every sick visit right up until they pass away and then we pay about $300 to have them cremated. I refuse to bury them in our yard as that squicks me out. Unfortunately, our last cat died last year. We currently have 2 dogs and no cats. My DH is still in mourning for our cats who all seemed to die within 2 years of one another. But I have every intention of getting more as soon as he lets me.

I simply cannot imagine life without pets in our family. Pets rock!

We've had cats much longer than we've had dogs. All of our pets have been wonderful, but I must say that our cats were just as much trouble as our dogs.

Our cat is so good. Really, she's practically perfect (or should I say "purr-fect"? ;)). We've had her for two years, and the only thing she does that bugs me is use the dining room rug as a scratching pad every now and then. She barely sheds, always uses the box, is affectionate but not needy, and hasn't destroyed anything.

Uh-oh, I've just jinxed myself, haven't I?

pros- friend for life. treat a dog right and you have a champion for life

cons-that life is not going to be as long as yours and when they go it is heartbreaking and you will say never again but you will because there is something about an animal that is amazing Cats are another story...No kidding I have 2 Darkness and Light and yes they live up to that. Darkness is just wicked hates everyone even me. I go on vacation he hides won't eat or potty till I come back. In his way he loves me so he will be with us till the end. Light we found in a sewer as a kitten and well I think he has been grateful ever since. An animal is a lifetime commitment so be ready for that. Train them right so they don't become a problem. Research the breed to make sure it will fit in your family. For Heavens sake get it fixed before more unwanted babies come into this world though.

My pros outweigh the cons...I love my dogs and can't imagine my family without them. I never had a dog as a child, and I always wanted one. My kids are happy to have dogs. They would have more dogs...and they do take care of them. They feed, water, and walk...although we don't need to do that so much on 2 acres. However, come warm weather, they eagerly take the dogs when they walk for ice cream or walk to the beach. (They must be on leash, and they bring plastic bags.)

But the cons. They are significant.

1. Vet bills second only to feeding bills. One of our dogs has Lyme, and that does cost.

2. Vacations are tricky. We do not like to kennel them even in an excellent kennel. They acted like they were being abandoned. They are not used to it. It's also $$$. We usually pay someone to come by twice a day. That is also $.

3. The occasional accident. It happens to the best of dogs. We have hardwood floors, but we have lost a throw rug or two. Thunder storms seem to be the biggest culprit. If I know a storm is coming, I put them in the bathoom together if I can't be right there. If a storm starts in the night, they come to my room by my side of the bed. If I put my hand on the dominant dog's head, she calms quickly and the yougner dog follows her lead.

4. The possibility that a dog could become aggessive. We have lucked out there. Our dogs have never snapped or bitten, but you never know. I do not let my dogs roam the house when we have company or playgroup. In my room they go, and I latch the door from the outside.

PS Here is my Doggie Protection story. One day during a renovation of my old house, the contractor raised his voice at me...to tell a funny story, not in an aggressive voice way...but he got very loud and made a sweeping motion toward me. My dog knew our contractor well, to the point she did not bark when he arrived. However, he made moves towards me which my dog had never seen. As the man move toward me, my dog leaped from my feet, and jumped straight up into the air and barked loudly into his face, but never making contact. The man jumped back about a mile, as my dog crouched down and waited to see what would happened next. She was in total control of herself and waited. My contractor stood still, not a muscle moving. I touched my dog on the head, said "Good girl", and went and got her a treat. Even after that, she never barked at him again, but she sure did put him on notice. He was totally impressed, said he wished he had such a dog.

We also have two cats, and a barn full of various poultry. We are so far gone...we are not the best folks to ask. ;) :)

Edited by LibraryLover

We just adopted a 8 mos old puppy about 3 weeks ago, so I think I can give some insight.

Pros:

Fantastic companions.

Teaches my boys responsibility. They are in charge of morning walk and feeding.

Total adoration on love (the feeling is mutual)

Cons:

-unlike my cat, we need to arrange for doggie daycare when we go away, or persuade my mom to watch him. He's 9 lbs and very well-behaved, but he's still a responsibility.

-exercise: most dogs, including ours, need at least 45 minutes of outdoor exercise daily. And I don't mean, "let the dog outside in the yard". I mean you or the kids walking him, throwing a ball, letting him play with other dogs. In other words--running around. O/w, you're sure to have a misbehaving dog (this rule doesn't always apply to some toy breeds or to old dogs).

-can't leave him alone all day-of course, some people do, but I don't really think it's fair or kind. We leave Tyler alone for no longer than 3-4 hours ,crated.

-Cost: vet bills can be about 300 a year assuming NO problems.

-food: good food can run you a fair amount, but it's not too bad for smaller dogs like ours.

-toys: i do spend money on chew toys. Not tons, but some.

It seems like the cons outweigh the cons, but they absolutely do not, for us. Tyler is like another member of our family and as you know, kids are mighty expensive too, and can be a pain in the tuckus. Doesn't mean we don't want 'em around :D

Cons:

Expense. One trip to the vet can cancel out many frugal living plans. Even the stuff that you buy to prevent big vet bills, like heartworm preventive and teeth cleaning, costs money.

Travel. If you travel a lot, unless you mostly camp or own your own RV, it's a pain to travel with a dog. Neither of our dogs took to it without stress, and it can be tough to find relatives or hotels that are willing to host your dog. If you don't take them, you have to find and pay for pet care.

The Big Sadness. You love your dog almost like you love your kids, but when they grow up, they don't move away, they die on you. It's really, really hard, and it kinda destroys some people's desire to own another one. My Dh wasn't ready for our second dog until our first dog had been dead 2.5 years.

Pros: Many, and varied, but for me, there's one main thing. People make you a family, but only a dog can make you a pack. There's nothing like sharing your life with the only domesticated animal that chose domestication for itself. They can show you what they're thinking--and it's nothing like what you think. And when they love you, they really love you. There's nothing else like it.

If you put the time in in the beginning- meaning keep your pup with you! Naturally they become amazing!! We have always had 2 dogs; labs & golden, now a goldendoodle and a cockapo- non shedding!! Even the cockapoo against all warnings from others they are sweet, gentlke affectionate- stay in the yard when let out etc. Now, it did not happen over night- but my approach to dogs is the same as my children, we are together always and they learn naturally. Cats on the other hand............................................................................................... Go for it!!

Dawn

Cons: Dogs are a lot of work. It's like having a toddler (ok, some are more like preschoolers if well behaved) that never grows up.

They are costly. Food, medical, damgage to home and property.

They are messy. Dog hair, kibble trailed through the house, water spilled, muddy paws, etc.

They are a pain to do something with when you go on vacation.

That said, we've pretty much always had a dog or two, and probably always will. They are the most affectionate animals I've ever seen, and will totally steal your heart if you let them :D IMHO, they are worth the trouble...kind of like kids..lol.

If you have a big dog like we do, they need to be run several times a day.

For me this is one of the best things about having a dog. He gets me out of the house five times a day, and I get a good deal of exercise. :001_smile:

For the first time in 20 years I am without a dog and it's terrible. If we were not in transition with housing & moving, we'd be actively looking around.

PRO's:

Children learn to be gentle with animals

-teach them responsibility to water & feed (with supervision)

Depending on what kind of breed, he/she may force you to take a walk

People who do not have good intentions, may think twice about hassling with a dog.

Loyal companion (I currently live alone and my dog was the only other living thing in the house if you overlook the spiders)

They offer you unconditional love & protection. They simply don't care if you have a bad hair day. They forgive a lot. :)

CON's:

They cost money to feed and take care of, i.e vet visits.

Traveling can be more complicated unless you have trained them well and are willing to limit yourself to hotels that accept pets as guests

They track mud in the house since they are rarely aware of the state of their paws.

...BUT none of this really matters in comparison with the PRO's for me! :D