Menu

Would you buy from this person?

I have been posting a WTB for a few weeks for an item that, to me, is expensive. A person PMed me that they have it for sale and for me to email them. The problem is this person has 0 post and no info on his/her profile and yesterday was the day they registered here. Would you buy from him/her? It's only $50, but...

I apologize if this person is reading this thread :)

I would be very hesitent to purchase something from a person that has only just registered.

I think that there should be something like a 10 or 20 minimum post count, before you are able to buy from the boards. That way we get to know you and aren't wary of a person with a low post count.

In the end it is up to you, but I would be very wary about it.

I'd be careful. Someone is willing to go around the posting rules here to get the item sold...what other "rules" are they willing to circumvent? I'd personally be afraid of losing my $$.

This can be true, but a week ago, I was a person with no posts but LOTS to sell! I'm just an honest person with way too much homeschool stuff on my hands! Until I could get enough posts to sell my stuff, I contacted people from the WTB board who were looking for something I had. I did sell one item that way. It's on its way to her now!

Just another look from the other side!:)

I just bought from someone who e-mailed me from my WTB post. She was not registered nor did she have any posts. I was leary, but decided to go ahead and purchase the item. Now I am sitting here biting my nails waiting to see if it will show up. If I get the item, I feel like I got a good deal. I will let you know if I get it.

Dorothy

Thanks everyone. I ended up emailing her and telling her I will pass. I feel bad, but in this day and age with $ to sight I just don't want to chanc eit. I hope I didn't just miss a great deal.

Again, I apologize to the person who PMed me if you are reading this thread.

Jean,

I'd be careful. If you want to purchase anyway, see if she'll accept paypal and offer insurance. Also ask for some item specific information like edition number/ISBN and could you tell me what's on page 151.

Whatcha looking for anyway?...I'll be at a Big used curriculum sale later this month. They have excellent prices and I could add you to my wish list.

I'd be careful. Someone is willing to go around the posting rules here to get the item sold...what other "rules" are they willing to circumvent? I'd personally be afraid of losing my $$.

I second Twinmom. This person COULD be perfectly honest...but you just do not know.

I agree.

May I go on a tangent?

I also thought the intention of the 50 post rule was to give members time to get to know the person selling -- for the person to establish themselves as a trustworthy person, so to speak. This is why the recent posts to the effect of "I'm posting short, quick meaningless posts just to get my 50 points" irks me. I'm not saying that those people are not trustworthy people, I'm just saying that it defeats the purpose of the rule. I want to know when someone asks a question that the person really wants an answer, because I try to give my best answer. I don't want to answer a question that a person may never read because the person was only trying to make their post count higher.

I remember a scrapbooking forum I was on which was bombarded by people selling things, but those people did not want to participate in or contribute to the board, so the owner created a post requirement (it was actually a steep #). The owner did not want the "for sale" board to be the focus of the board, and she didn't want the site flooded with people looking for a bargain when what she wanted to create was a community of scrapbookers.

So, I see the WTM forum in the same way, though I admit I have never seen anything like this posted on the forum.

Understand, I'm not trying to speak for the owner of the board here, I'm just sharing how I feel about it all.

If it is something you really want, you could request photos of it spread out on a table, to show she actually has it? Maybe she would agree to send the stuff to you to preview, and you send the payment after, as she knows where to find you! I guess it's really no different then buying off Vegsource.

I agree with you, 100%. I look at these boards as being a very supportive homeschool community, first and foremost. The buying and selling is secondary. There are lots of places online to do business, but no better place to connect with other homeschoolers.

Also, if I post a WTB, I do not want to be emailed by people I've never heard of who are getting around the 50-post requirement. There are no safeguards here, except for my familiarity with the people who have regularly posted here over the years. I feel like I take enough of a chance when I buy something from someone who is a relative newbie, and even then I read all their posts before I buy so I can get a feel for them. I do not want to buy from someone who is here just to collect enough post points to sell their stuff. That's what eBay is for, IMO.

RC

I also thought the intention of the 50 post rule was to give members time to get to know the person selling -- for the person to establish themselves as a trustworthy person, so to speak. This is why the recent posts to the effect of "I'm posting short, quick meaningless posts just to get my 50 points" irks me. I'm not saying that those people are not trustworthy people, I'm just saying that it defeats the purpose of the rule.

Well, I think that I have contacted people about stuff I have without having had 50 posts. I think I have 40 plus posts now. But I never thought there was anything wrong with contacting people if they have a WTB post no matter how many posts I have. I think if someone responds to a WTB post then the person buying has to make a judgment call on whether to buy or not. With this situation, $50 is a lot to risk I think. Another thought is paying via credit card paypal, so that if you don't get your goods, you can contest the charge with your cc company. FWIW, I was scammed once buying from someone who had somewhat regularly posted on the old boards. Paypal settled the dispute in my favor, though paypal was unable to collect the money from the seller. So, really, you just never know...

Anita

I have similar "rules" on my SB board, i actually block forum viewing of some of the boards until you reach certain post counts. For the reasons you listed - be a member of the community and such.

I've enjoyed hanging out here and getting to know you guys the few weeks - i have some stuff to sell, but i've been learning in the process of earning that right. I hope everyone knows i haven't been posting "fluff" to get there.

Heck, i probably will have over 100 by the time i get around to posting my stuff anyway!

And, for the record - hanging out and reading has increased my "must buy at Convention list" a bunch. :glare: And i thought Scrapbookers were the worst enablers! LOL!!!

I agree.

May I go on a tangent?

I also thought the intention of the 50 post rule was to give members time to get to know the person selling -- for the person to establish themselves as a trustworthy person, so to speak. This is why the recent posts to the effect of "I'm posting short, quick meaningless posts just to get my 50 points" irks me. I'm not saying that those people are not trustworthy people, I'm just saying that it defeats the purpose of the rule. I want to know when someone asks a question that the person really wants an answer, because I try to give my best answer. I don't want to answer a question that a person may never read because the person was only trying to make their post count higher.

I remember a scrapbooking forum I was on which was bombarded by people selling things, but those people did not want to participate in or contribute to the board, so the owner created a post requirement (it was actually a steep #). The owner did not want the "for sale" board to be the focus of the board, and she didn't want the site flooded with people looking for a bargain when what she wanted to create was a community of scrapbookers.

So, I see the WTM forum in the same way, though I admit I have never seen anything like this posted on the forum.

Understand, I'm not trying to speak for the owner of the board here, I'm just sharing how I feel about it all.

Gee, i have that sitting here next to me, i need a kick in the behind to watch it!

Hopefully you find it soon to buy - i'd feel guilty offering you mine since i haven't watched it an NEED to! LOL!!

LOL! Well, if you should change your mind...:lol:

I agree with you, 100%. I look at these boards as being a very supportive homeschool community, first and foremost. The buying and selling is secondary. There are lots of places online to do business, but no better place to connect with other homeschoolers.

Also, if I post a WTB, I do not want to be emailed by people I've never heard of who are getting around the 50-post requirement. There are no safeguards here, except for my familiarity with the people who have regularly posted here over the years. I feel like I take enough of a chance when I buy something from someone who is a relative newbie, and even then I read all their posts before I buy so I can get a feel for them. I do not want to buy from someone who is here just to collect enough post points to sell their stuff. That's what eBay is for, IMO.

RC

I agree with your agreeance.

It irks me to see "Hey, look at me! I'm boosting my post count!" threads. At another forum I belong to, people who do that are banned.

First off I want to say that I totally understand where you are coming from. $50 is alot of money and I don't have that kind of budget to take chances with either.

I did want to add, being a fairly new member here, that I do post items for sale, in fact I have posted and sold quite a few things lately, I have also bought several things for next year. I needed to sell some of my old curriculum to have money for the things I need for the coming school year. I also am somewhat of a curriculum junkie so my bookcases were ready to explode. This however isn't why I joined this board, I have bought and sold things on vegsource and sonlight and homeschool library for a couple of years. It does involve a certain level of trust and I have purchased alot of things, including 9 used complete sonlight cores for not only myself but friends and family members as well who didn't have time to look for them. Of all the things I have bought I have only been dissappointed twice and once it was the post office's fault as the box got ripped and some books were hanging out of the box with alot of damage. Of all the things I have sold I have had very few complaints and I have always made them right, even a box that was lost in the mail uninsured I returned the persons money. I try to sell my used things on boards like these to help other homeschoolers afford what they need to school their children and I think most of the other people selling here do too.

I guess what I wanted to say though, is this... I didn't join the board to sell things. I have used sonlight since I began homeschooling and have been pretty active on the boards there but next year with core 6 we will be using the SOTW books and I guess I wanted to change my focus a bit. This will be ds' last year before high school and I think we need to step things up a bit. I wanted to see how the classical method worked, what people were using, what things I could add to make sl core 6 at the level I wanted it to be. I have been really happy I joined this board, I have posted a little but I have just read others post even more and I have learned so much about different things that might work for us. I guess I'm saying I would have been really happy I found this forum even if I never sold or bought used curriculum.;)

Sorry this got so long, and I hope I don't sound preachy cause I don't mean to. :)

Welcome Paula,

glad you are here! Naw, not preachy....the whole buying and selling from strangers is a touchy thing sometimes. I've only had good experiences. (I don't really like seeing the "need to up my posts counts" posts either)- when I decide to buy, I do check the posts count, and then I look to see what kind of posts- is the person a poster who contributes to the community in a friendly, helpful way?...

I have learned much here at these boards, this is my favorite board.

I agree.

May I go on a tangent?

I agree with this. The posting requirement is about being a member of the community, not being able to sell.

I didn't join this community in order to buy or sell materials but rather for the community it represents. Since I don't post very much, it will take me a long time to build up to 50 posts. Having said this, I'm surprised that some of you would think I was trying to circumvent the 50 post rule if I replied to a wanted to buy listing. Just to let you know, I haven't answered a WTB post but do occasionally look at both boards. I doubt most people who reply are trying to get away with something or circumvent anything.

Judy

I would just add that it's possible the person who responded to your ad has been around a long time and is just now registering on this forum. This is still a relatively new board. Many of us were on the old boards for years, (chatting, buying and selling) and are just now getting around to posting on this board. When the new board launched I joined but pretty much ignored it until two weeks ago. People get in and out of the habit and it's entirely possible that the person who contacted you is just as reliable as someone with 50 posts that they got by saying "I need 50 posts...", etc.

Just my thoughts. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I would be cautious. I have been burned on The Baby Wearer site and lost $50 that I didn't have to lose. But I don't know who you find out if someone is honest. I don't post a lot but I'm honest. I think it's just the chance you take when purchasing used online.

Cindy in AR

On the other side of the fence, last month I posted a for sale item the same week I registered on the board (as it so happened, it was a couple days before the new 50 message policy was in place). I'd been an occasional poster on the old-style boards, but I'd been too busy to register on the new format, and even now that I'm registered I'm often too busy to post much.

Two people bought materials from me based on that post, and both received them within a few days. I would have understood if they didn't trust me as a newbie. Because they did, however, they got the materials they needed and I cleared off some much-needed shelf space.

Kimber

For that much money I want to know who the person is, at least as far as being a regular poster here. If it were less, and if they posted it for sale, I'd feel a lot better about it. I've never felt comfortable placing a WTB ad.

I agree. I don't like placing WTB ads. I've done it and didn't end up buying from those folks for other reasons. But anyone could offer you something. You would think they would leave homeschoolers alone but you never know how sick people are. I don't have enough to post FS items according to the new rules. It's a little irritating but I understand their reasoning.

Cindy in AR

This can be true, but a week ago, I was a person with no posts but LOTS to sell! I'm just an honest person with way too much homeschool stuff on my hands! Until I could get enough posts to sell my stuff, I contacted people from the WTB board who were looking for something I had. I did sell one item that way. It's on its way to her now!

Just another look from the other side!:)

I was in the same boat, and sold a couple of items that way. Of course, I then spent way too much time here, so my posts are up now;).

I would be cautious though. I'm honest, too, and believe most people are.....but some aren't.

And, for the record - hanging out and reading has increased my "must buy at Convention list" a bunch. :glare: And i thought Scrapbookers were the worst enablers! LOL!!!

Amen to that! My poor mailman doesn't know what hit him, with all the online ordering I've been doing based on suggestions here. :D

As far as the original topic of this thread, I have either received everything I've bought here, or have been notified my order's on the way . . . and I did respond to some people from my WTB post that didn't have 50 posts yet. Maybe I'm too trusting, but so far (at least here), I haven't been burned. (:

Wel, are you using paypal? If I use paypal to pay for an item I don't worry about it because if I don't get the stuff or get swindled in someway Paypal will force a refund and if the person doesn't refund within a certain amount of time Paypal will refund you themselves. I have used this once. (not for a sale on here) and I had my money back a couple of weeks later so if it is a really good deal I would take the risk...