Menu

I HAVE to make changes with our homeschool

trying my best

... or i will go insane. Every day is getting harder and harder to motivate my son. The only thing he is doing fine is Math. Everything else starts with whine. He can do things just fine but its his new habit he picked up lately - to whine.

for the past 2 months it was going downhill. I am stressing out because only half of our stuff is done. We start with Math so that is done all the time. Spelling is next and its done too... but then we are sooo exhausted from "fighting" that i give up and we dont even do reading. Sometimes is being neglected for weeks. :(

Today i made an idea.... i wrote down on piece of cardboard paper all the subjects he needs to finish in a day. I let him chose what he wants to do in what order.

The cards say this:

Spelling

30 mins

Russian

30 mins

Singapore 1B

20 mins

Reading

30 mins

and so on....for everything we do.

Then i set the clock for 30 mins (if it requires 30 mins). If he gets to finish it BEFORE 30 mins is over he gets to save those mins toward the video games. He gets 1 hour of video/computer games a day. Can gets a chance to add more mins to it if he finishes early. If he finishes late he gets mins from his "game" time.

What do you think?

:grouphug: Big hugs. . .I think it's that time of year.

I think you have a good idea with the timer. One suggestion would be instead of letting him do his work in whatever order he wants. . .to have him rotate between a hard subject and an easier subject. My son loves reading and narrating so for us this would look something like this:

math

reading

language

history. . .etc

Is he 5yo?

I would start with 5 *happy* minutes of reading, writing and math each. 5 minutes!

For my 5yo, I even ask her if she wants to do MM math or Miquon math...after a page I ask her if she wants to do more or save the next page for another day. She's ahead right now anyway (So is your 5yo if he's in 1B) - no need to push. She often picks up math b/c she just wants to do it...and it's b/c I never push it.

5yo's are people pleasers, and a resistance against school work is likely his way of trying to communicate a developmental readiness issue. Just b/c he can do advanced work doesn't mean he can work for 30 in EACH subject daily. That's 2 hours of work you have there. It's a stretch for my 8yo to work 2 hours a day (and I break it up in CM style lessons).

We did something like this for our daughter and it really helped. She gets five minutes on the computer for every subject she completes, plus one extra minute for each time I catch her using her pencil properly (she has a pencil grip problem). Her handwriting is SOOO much better now and it's almost second nature for her to use it properly now. Half the time she doesn't even use her computer minutes, but it's motivating to her to obtain them. The minutes expire in two days, so she has to use them or lose them.

I have had a problem with her dragging things out so I am going to try your idea of putting a time cap on it. There's nothing worse than spending 20 minutes writing out 2 words on the board, LOL.

We also give her five extra dollars in her allowance if she knows her Classical Conversations memory work by Friday. We take a dollar out for each section she doesn't know- that really stopped me from having to nag her about about doing it. She's more motivated to do it now.

This could work to get him to do the work, but if I were you I might reconsider the approach and materials you are using. Kids this age are really not going to learn anything they don't want to learn, so you kind of have to sell it.

Sounds like he is burning out. What if you took a month to do fun science/nature projects or a unit study on something he likes and completely nixed spelling and Russian? Read some good books together, either with him reading or you reading aloud, whatever he wants.

While your system may make him get work done, it will only reinforce to him that schoolwork is drudgery and you have to get through it to get to the fun stuff (video games). You want him to believe that schoolwork is the fun stuff!

Is he 5yo?

I would start with 5 *happy* minutes of reading, writing and math each. 5 minutes!

For my 5yo, I even ask her if she wants to do MM math or Miquon math...after a page I ask her if she wants to do more or save the next page for another day. She's ahead right now anyway (So is your 5yo if he's in 1B) - no need to push. She often picks up math b/c she just wants to do it...and it's b/c I never push it.

5yo's are people pleasers, and a resistance against school work is likely his way of trying to communicate a developmental readiness issue. Just b/c he can do advanced work doesn't mean he can work for 30 in EACH subject daily. That's 2 hours of work you have there. It's a stretch for my 8yo to work 2 hours a day (and I break it up in CM style lessons).

:iagree:At 5, I imagine it is a struggle for your son to do that much work, even if he is academically able to do it. Short, fun lessons might be more appropriate at that age. :001_smile:

Whoooa, you really need to slow down. You're burning the poor kid out-and yourself, too.

Listen to what the other posters said, and to reset yourselves, I would take the week off to decompress. Then start back slowly-small bites. And I would drop the Russian unless you really super duper needed it and if it were only verbal. Drop spelling all together until they're older.

For 5 years old, I think that is asking a bit much. Honestly, the whining is probably his way of saying that.

:iagree:

With my oldest, we had a similar schedule, and I listened to endless complaints of, "I'm tired!!!" I *knew* what she was capable of doing, and I pushed for that, because I knew she could do it. The challenge is to balance what they can do academically with what's developmentally appropriate for them to do.

I'd suggest cutting things up into smaller time chunks. If you're not willing to pare down the amount of seatwork, maybe just do shorter lessons. So instead of 30 minutes of spelling (which I honestly don't even touch until 2nd grade, even for my advanced early readers), maybe try three 10 minute blocks throughout the day, interspersed with something else.

Whoooa, you really need to slow down. You're burning the poor kid out-and yourself, too.

Listen to what the other posters said, and to reset yourselves, I would take the week off to decompress. Then start back slowly-small bites. And I would drop the Russian unless you really super duper needed it and if it were only verbal. Drop spelling all together until they're older.

:iagree: He's so young. Just have fun at this age.

Here's the kind of kindergarten flunkie mom I was- we did a reading lesson, a smattering of math and handwriting, read aloud science and history, and had a garden. Oh, I didn't start a couple of my kids on more than reading until halfway to 5 or even at 6. They are doing great now. It is so easy to push too hard when they are young because we are so excited about homeschooling.

I could tell you sad stories about my oldest and myself crying at the table when he was 5. Live and learn.

I'd suggest cutting things up into smaller time chunks. If you're not willing to pare down the amount of seatwork, maybe just do shorter lessons. So instead of 30 minutes of spelling (which I honestly don't even touch until 2nd grade, even for my advanced early readers), maybe try three 10 minute blocks throughout the day, interspersed with something else.

Will try to do that :) I like 30 mins divided into 10 mins :)

... or i will go insane. Every day is getting harder and harder to motivate my son. The only thing he is doing fine is Math. Everything else starts with whine. He can do things just fine but its his new habit he picked up lately - to whine.

for the past 2 months it was going downhill. I am stressing out because only half of our stuff is done. We start with Math so that is done all the time. Spelling is next and its done too... but then we are sooo exhausted from "fighting" that i give up and we dont even do reading. Sometimes is being neglected for weeks. :(

Today i made an idea.... i wrote down on piece of cardboard paper all the subjects he needs to finish in a day. I let him chose what he wants to do in what order.

The cards say this:

Spelling

30 mins

Russian

30 mins

Singapore 1B

20 mins

Reading

30 mins

Then i set the clock for 30 mins (if it requires 30 mins). If he gets to finish it BEFORE 30 mins is over he gets to save those mins toward the video games. He gets 1 hour of video/computer games a day. Can gets a chance to add more mins to it if he finishes early. If he finishes late he gets mins from his "game" time.

What do you think?

I think that is a great idea!! I have one who dawdles over his schoolwork too and it is very frustrating. :glare: Very.

Mine is 12 and I decided to give him a schedule. I asked him how much time he thought each item on his list should take him and we plugged it into a daily schedule. That has helped him enormously! For one thing, he cannot dawdle over math all day long. When the time is up he is required to move to the next thing (he does work independently most of the day). If he has "left-over" time in another subject then I encourage him to work on the subject he didn't finish. This at least prevents us from getting to the end of a day and only getting one or two things finished. It is still common to get to the end of the day and have one thing not finished. But that is much easier to remedy than 7 things.

My son also enjoys playing Wii during free time. But if he has "homework" because he dawdled then he has to do it during free time instead of Wii. In fact, he does nothing fun until all of his work is finished. It's worked so great I instituted it with my 3rd son who also struggles (not as badly) and it has kept him on task too. My 8th and 3rd graders are both over achieving driven first-borns...same rules apply but I have not had to make them a schedule and they RARELY have "homework" during free time. If only they could all be that easy. :001_smile:

Honestly I didn't do more than 1 hour of hs total with any of my kids when they were 5. When they were 6 and 1st grade I maybe did 1.5 hour and all of it was one on one.

Heather

:iagree: At this age, you want to instil a love of learning. Have fun. Go on nature walks. 10-15 minute lessons then a fun break or running around outside. He sounds burnt out. Slow and steady... you've got years to gear up.

Honestly I didn't do more than 1 hour of hs total with any of my kids when they were 5. When they were 6 and 1st grade I maybe did 1.5 hour and all of it was one on one.

Heather

I looked at your blog and was impressed by the amount of writing he does. My 8 year old does not write that much without freaking out. I'm thinking he may need a little slack :)

This is just my opinion, but I'd say 10 or 15 minutes per subject would be a good start using the timer. It's amazing how much they can do in 10 or 15 minutes.

I think that is a great idea!! I have one who dawdles over his schoolwork too and it is very frustrating. :glare: Very.

Mine is 12 and I decided to give him a schedule. I asked him how much time he thought each item on his list should take him and we plugged it into a daily schedule. That has helped him enormously! For one thing, he cannot dawdle over math all day long. When the time is up he is required to move to the next thing (he does work independently most of the day). If he has "left-over" time in another subject then I encourage him to work on the subject he didn't finish. This at least prevents us from getting to the end of a day and only getting one or two things finished. It is still common to get to the end of the day and have one thing not finished. But that is much easier to remedy than 7 things.

My son also enjoys playing Wii during free time. But if he has "homework" because he dawdled then he has to do it during free time instead of Wii. In fact, he does nothing fun until all of his work is finished. It's worked so great I instituted it with my 3rd son who also struggles (not as badly) and it has kept him on task too. My 8th and 3rd graders are both over achieving driven first-borns...same rules apply but I have not had to make them a schedule and they RARELY have "homework" during free time. If only they could all be that easy. :001_smile:

Thank you for your support :) I will continue with that but maybe adjust the amount of time for him :)

I looked at your blog and was impressed by the amount of writing he does. My 8 year old does not write that much without freaking out. I'm thinking he may need a little slack :)

This is just my opinion, but I'd say 10 or 15 minutes per subject would be a good start using the timer. It's amazing how much they can do in 10 or 15 minutes.

Thank you! he is a natural speller so writing is not hard for him at all. He LOVES math and can do math all day long if i let him :)

Thank you for your advice to cut down to 15 mins !

totally understanding being 5 year old concern! I would have to adjust some stuff more to make sure he is not burned out with all this. But meanwhile is doing just fine academically. It a phase of testing his authority in the house right now. I will slow down for him meanwhile.

But he's miserable, academically...

And, I'm sure you can find other areas of homelife to model an appropriate parent/child relationship...

Don't make school a battle at 5yo.

But he's miserable, academically...

And, I'm sure you can find other areas of homelife to model an appropriate parent/child relationship...

Don't make school a battle at 5yo.

With a Sept. birthday, he's really a young Kindergartner. For K year, we did about a half hour a day, working up to an hour a day by the end of the schoo year. (Now my older dc are academically advanced, so slow in the beginning doesn't mean slow forever. :001_smile:)

Honestly, I think setting up a complicated system with video games for rewards at this point is a recipe for disaster later. I've seen homeschoolers friends who do a similar schedule, using rewards to keep it up, and it doesn't end well. It is better to back off, and instead model and teach an enjoyment of learning itself while slowly building discipline and endurance for formal school work.

With a Sept. birthday, he's really a young Kindergartner. For K year, we did about a half hour a day, working up to an hour a day by the end of the schoo year. (Now my older dc are academically advanced, so slow in the beginning doesn't mean slow forever. :001_smile:)

Honestly, I think setting up a complicated system with video games for rewards at this point is a recipe for disaster later. I've seen homeschoolers friends who do a similar schedule, using rewards to keep it up, and it doesn't end well. It is better to back off, and instead model and teach an enjoyment of learning itself while slowly building discipline and endurance for formal school work.

Video games are not reward at all. Its part of his life lol so instead of doing it uncontrollably i get to control his time doing it and HE gets to control how long.

With a Sept. birthday, he's really a young Kindergartner.

:iagree:Just for some perspective, he wouldn't even be a Kindergartner according to our district cutoffs, he would be in Pre-K.

Now, I probably would do some K work with him, but it would just be reading, handwriting and math (and even then I would probably do living math rather than anything formal).

Video games are not reward at all. Its part of his life lol so instead of doing it uncontrollably i get to control his time doing it and HE gets to control how long.

But with this system, extra time playing video games becomes a reward for getting work done more quickly, and as you say, it should just be part of his life. I think the best thing to do at this point is to foster a love for learning, not make schoolwork into a chore he has to get through.

I also think we have misunderstanding here...

DS Loves school. Always asks to do it. He is going through time testing his authority in the house. I guess transitioning from being a "little child" into "older child". He is very strong willed (which i like because its always good to be a leader). He is more mature than his age kids. He always has to find the answer for himself and not take an answer from people. Thats how he learns and I like it. He has a lot of ah-ha moments which i encourage a lot.

Its his phase in life (not school related) where he (being a boy also) needs to test his boundaries in the family. Not saying its a bad thing - its just the stage.

Again, he loves school work. I watch him closely. Never get him to the point where he is exhausted from school. We stop when i think he "starting" to get tired (not tired already - just starting). We always take breaks between sitted work. He loves school and loves learning.

I hope you don't think we're being critical at all. It sounds like you know your son well and are really working to do what's best for him, and we are trying to help you figure that out. You mentioned that you need a change and that he is difficult to motivate and schoolwork is becoming a fight, so we're just suggesting approaches that may be more successful in the long term.

I hope you don't think we're being critical at all. It sounds like you know your son well and are really working to do what's best for him, and we are trying to help you figure that out. You mentioned that you need a change and that he is difficult to motivate and schoolwork is becoming a fight, so we're just suggesting approaches that may be more successful in the long term.

Exactly. Your son seems very bright. I went to your blog and he does excellent work. It's just something to mull over if he seems to balk. He may not be testing authority, but feeling overwhelmed. Either way you're the mom. You'll know. :001_smile:

I definitely agree with the others. You're doing full on first grade work with a young K'er (who would be preK in my state). While he is obviously capable of doing that level of work, it's just not a developmentally appropriate amount. It is hard to balance it when they're advanced like that. I struggle with that with my own kids. Sometimes I have to think "Ok, we're already a year ahead in this area, so it's ok to back off and relax in this area so we don't have to do so much!" :) Just because my 6 year old is capable of doing multiplication and division, doesn't mean that he NEEDS to do it right now.

I think 30 minute lessons is awfully long for K'er too. Even my first grader doesn't have much that goes to 30 minutes. We spend about 20-30 minutes on math (I assign 2 pages usually... sometimes even just one page, since we're ahead of grade level there). We spend about 20 minutes on spelling (and yes, AAS is fun, so we don't mind spending a little extra time there... actual writing is 5 minutes probably). We spend 5 minutes on grammar, 5-10 minutes on composition (WWE), 5 minutes on copywork. We read one chapter of a chapter book, plus he has about 20-30 minutes of free reading - any book from the "library book shelf" (so it's all good books at his level, because I picked them). Then we spend 15-30 minutes on history or science.

With a K'er, I'd be doing much less than that, even if they're advanced. You give the appropriate level of work for what they're mentally able to do, but at a developmentally appropriate amount. So I wouldn't spend more than 15-20 minutes on math, 15 minutes on "reading" (and then throw in some free reading of library books so he gets extra practice outside of a "reading program"), and 5-15 minutes of handwriting. I'd be ok with the Russian staying in there (since Russian is your first language, right?), but keep it short - 15 minutes tops.

You mentioned that you weren't where you'd like to be, but you're well ahead of grade level, so I can't see how you'd possibly be behind? :) Take a step back and look at the big picture. Reevaluate your expectations, taking into account his AGE, not his being academically advanced. And again, I say this because I have struggled with it myself. ;) It's easy to push the oldest kid too hard. You're ready to get to a certain place, and they just aren't mature enough to get there themselves yet. Don't push him (and if he's whining, that means you're pushing, even if you think you weren't pushing... again, BTDT :D).

:grouphug:

When does the whining begin? After a certain amount of time or is he just not interested in a certain subject that he is working on now?

If it's for a subject, I would give him a break from that subject for a time. If it after a certain amount of time, I would shorten his day and lesson times with more breaks in between.

Thank you everyone :)

I will shorten his lessons to 15 mins each :)

I tryed this setting clock for him method today on him and he is totally different child :) He is very cooperative and WANTS to complete the task. Never said anything about games. He loves the idea racing against the clock and normally does it 10 mins to spare :) We take 30 mins breaks and go back to 15 mins class :) he is very energetic and loves this way!

Thank you everyone who suggested to shorten the class time.

When does the whining begin? After a certain amount of time or is he just not interested in a certain subject that he is working on now?

If it's for a subject, I would give him a break from that subject for a time. If it after a certain amount of time, I would shorten his day and lesson times with more breaks in between.

he started whining about AAS.... and i am guessing because its getting more and more complicated (not difficult but a lot more to consider). We used to do 1 step a day in level 1. Now we are on level 2 and there is a lot more to consider. So he is less energetic to do it because he predict a lot of work. Thank you to you, ladies, I will split spelling into 10 mins lessons from now on :) instead of doing all in 1 sitting.

Becaue of this forum (thanks to the Hive!) I discovered looping, which has made a huge difference in the problem you quoted above. We had worked out the kinks with the whining and lollygagging (good Southern word there ;)) using a timer system similar to what you are doing. But usually life would interfere and we wouldn't finish our school day, so our morning subjects were being completed but we were getting very behind in Science, History, Spanish, Reading time, etc. Since we have started looping our school day, we have no more trouble and my daughter LOVES it. She likes trying to hurry and fit in as many subjects as she can so she can get ahead for the week. Just do a thread search for looping and you can read more about what it is or if you want more info, just ask!

What about a loop schedule? I don't use one, but innate read about them here. It works by setting a list of subjects and getting them done in order. If the daynis up, but you haven't gotten them all done then you start with the next subject the next day. Do a search and you can find more information about it. But I agree with other posters about cutting the time of each subject down to a bearable amount.

If he whines after 30 min of spelling, cut it down to 15-20, then gradually add more time so he is at 30 minutes by the first grade. Since he is a young K-er keep that in mindnehe. You figure his grade level. I think he is doing great for his age, but it is YOUR sanity you need to worry about :)

I haven't read the other responses, but at this age, I believe that rewarding him with extra screen time sets a huge importance on the very thing that at this point should be (IMO) minimized.

At five, he is doing a LOT. My 5yo (who will be 6 in May) does an hour max, and she is progressing just fine. I agree with those who have said that you should alternate what is fun with what is harder work for him, and if you can find a way to make the "hard" stuff fun, by all means, do.

My oldest was like your son, (possibly gifted) very bright and at the same time immature. I had my son doing 1st grade work, and 2nd grade reading... I felt like he was excelling and everything was perfect. I was wrong. Instead of instilling a love of learning, I made him hate it. I even got to a point in his 4th grade year I had to redo and entire grade (with different curric so it wasnt redundant) he just wasnt ready for the jump in LA from 4th to 5th grade.

My lesson was learned. I do not push my youngers to do school at a young age. Even if they really want to "do school." Well... At least not in the way I schooled my oldest.

My 5 yr old does one math program (my oldest did 2) LA worksheets and reading out loud. It takes him on average 30 minutes a day total. He doesnt have to do school every day, in fact he decides when to do school. He manages about 3-4 days a week. His attitude towards school is excellent. He loves "doing papers" and he is still excelling. His learning ability reminds me of my oldest sons. My lil 5 yr old is very bright and a fast learner. I do not push his learning, he is capable of more challenging work than he is currently doing. I just want him to enjoy himself right now. If after school he still wants more work, I let him play starfall.com or ETC online. He thinks of those sites as his computer games :)

Maybe you just need to slow down with your young son? Only you can decide that... I dont want you to feel like you're being told what to do, or being picked on. I just wanted to share with you my mistakes with my oldest.

It's taken me a long time and a lot of money to try to find that "spark" in my oldest son again.

Good luck, I hope you find a happy medium for both you and your young son.

My oldest was like your son, (possibly gifted) very bright and at the same time immature. I had my son doing 1st grade work, and 2nd grade reading... I felt like he was excelling and everything was perfect. I was wrong. Instead of instilling a love of learning, I made him hate it. I even got to a point in his 4th grade year I had to redo and entire grade (with different curric so it wasnt redundant) he just wasnt ready for the jump in LA from 4th to 5th grade.

My lesson was learned. I do not push my youngers to do school at a young age. Even if they really want to "do school." Well... At least not in the way I schooled my oldest.

My 5 yr old does one math program (my oldest did 2) LA worksheets and reading out loud. It takes him on average 30 minutes a day total. He doesnt have to do school every day, in fact he decides when to do school. He manages about 3-4 days a week. His attitude towards school is excellent. He loves "doing papers" and he is still excelling. His learning ability reminds me of my oldest sons. My lil 5 yr old is very bright and a fast learner. I do not push his learning, he is capable of more challenging work than he is currently doing. I just want him to enjoy himself right now. If after school he still wants more work, I let him play starfall.com or ETC online. He thinks of those sites as his computer games :)

Maybe you just need to slow down with your young son? Only you can decide that... I dont want you to feel like you're being told what to do, or being picked on. I just wanted to share with you my mistakes with my oldest.

It's taken me a long time and a lot of money to try to find that "spark" in my oldest son again.

Good luck, I hope you find a happy medium for both you and your young son.

THANK YOU! i will very consider this!

The cards say this:

Spelling

30 mins

Russian

30 mins

Singapore 1B

20 mins

Reading

30 mins

What do you think?

At 5 years old I did about an hour to an hour and a half max. I suspect he is whining because the time spent is just too much. If you really want more "learning" time then get some educational games to play with him.

30 minutes is too long for a 5 year old per subject. 15-20 min should be the max. For my ds he was doing a lot of whining when he was in 1st grade. I told him each time he whined or complained I would give him a check mark. At the end of our school session for every check mark he had to do something for me before he could play. This method worked excellent. He went from upwards of 7-9 check marks to maybe 0-2 in a weeks time.

30 minutes is too long for a 5 year old per subject. 15-20 min should be the max. For my ds he was doing a lot of whining when he was in 1st grade. I told him each time he whined or complained I would give him a check mark. At the end of our school session for every check mark he had to do something for me before he could play. This method worked excellent. He went from upwards of 7-9 check marks to maybe 0-2 in a weeks time.

Good idea!

And yes i revised everything today and we do 10-15 mins per subject :)

I kind of skimmed through this thread, so please forgive me if it has already been addressed. I would actually take away the video games on school days altogether. Something really changes in ds on days that he is allowed to play video games. He becomes very focussed on them, and as a result becomes impatient with the rest of his world. It's a real restlessness in him. We allow 1 hour on the weekend of screen time. That's it. At some point last year, I think in the middle of the endless rainy days that line up in Jan, Feb and March, I was allowing him on everyday. It did terrible things to our school day. All he wanted to do was get done with school so he could play the games. I saw a drastic improvement in him once they were off limits. We're 2 weeks into our rainy season, and I have been tempted to let him have more time on them, but I'm going to stand strong. Otherwise, I will surely regret it.

Hi, one of my kids is gifted. She sat on the floor and read a political speech from the 1700s the other day until I had to take it away from her. :tongue_smilie: I've also posted in other threads about her memorizing parts of the periodic table, etc. :001_huh:

Anyhoo, a lot of advice I've gotten is to let them expand outwards instead of forwards. I try to let them go off in interest-led directions. I try to add a lot of art, projects, etc. The other day, we did the Egg Engineering project - where they design different ways to protect a falling egg. I also bought a project kit where they could build all of the simple machines (pulleys, levers, etc). Today, we're going to create informational posters about The Netherlands and South Korea (we really are weird, I know).

You could post about your son on the advanced board also. Good luck!