Menu

If you needed to go more streamlined in terms of curriculum...

I'm so there with you right now. I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of programs I am trying to keep up with. I need less confusion.

I love TOG, but it's killing me. I really need to cut back to the bare minimum if we are going to continue using TOG, but then it becomes just a very expensive book list, you know? I've already invested so much $$$ into it that I can't seem to bring myself to cut the cord...

You can look at my siggie for what we are doing specifically, but I have to keep things simple because I have two part time jobs. Extras will not get done around here. My boys are doing Apologia Botany in a co op class. They did Apologia Astronomy last semester. I find it pretty easy to keep up with what the boys are doing plus working on reading, simple math (Sinapore Essentials) and handwriting with the 5 year old. I don't know if this helps you or not, but it is what works for us.:001_smile:

I'm considering doing MFW for high school. DS really seems to like textbooks; he likes the consistent format. Since MFW uses a textbook at its core, I think he'll be comfortable. Plus it's all planned out. He'll take science and math at our co-op, which leaves me to just add Japanese.

I personally would love to do TOG if it would work well with ds (it's the way I would have wanted to learn), but it gets overwhelming and frustrating to him, and it would be a lot more work for me. I want to make him more independent.

Wendi

I got great advice years ago when our life was crazy. I was told to pick one class to do the way I wanted (living books, so history) and do the rest "open and go." Meaning if you have to get too many things together, read ahead, plan a discussion, etc. then don't do that curriculum. It made things a lot easier to manage.

Here is the list of things that made things more manageable and still provided a good education:

Apologia Science from General Science up (before that I used DK books, early Apologia wasn't published yet). Virtual Homeschool Group has great online classes that have helped tremendously!

BJU math, using dvds from Algebra 1 on.

Easy Grammar, then BJU from 6th grade on.

A literature book for high school (I like Scott Foreman).

The most untextbooky textbook for history (Story of the World, etc.)

I did do Beautiful Feet a few years.

If you mean streamlined as in one publisher, I haven't in 17 years found one I could do everything they had. I do have a friend or two that like Switched on Schoolhouse, but I haven't ever used it. I went to a fair one year (a BIG one) and looked at close to every table, and learned what I liked and what I didn't. I would ask how much preparation time, and if it was a lot, I walked on! I also talked with them about each of my kids and how they learned, and got some great recommendations.

HTH

P.S. Do still read all of those great books you got for TOG even if you do something else!

Edited by Susan C.

Could you try juggling what you have schedule-wise with a goal of NOT dropping anything? For instance, do LA/math/languages 4 days, devote a day to history/music/finishing up other academics, and save science and art for Saturdays (I tend to group these together since they are both hands-on and potentially messy). There are lots of other ways to arrange this, of course. I find that trying to get everything done every day does not work as well for me as doing fewer things each day.... but I have never used TOG, so maybe it's not an option with that?

I HAD to streamline due to my large family, life situations (taking cae of sick parents) and working from home almost full time hours.

I went with CLE for Math, LA (includes grammar, spelling, penmanship and some writing) and reading/ lit. So far, i love it. So far, my kids love it. (This is our 3rd year of CLE.)

I stuck with SOTW. We use the coloring pages and maps...but forgo most of the projects and even the narration questions. We just summarize together, use the tests as comprehension questions and move on.

Read alouds happen at bedtime.

Science for my grammar stage kids consists of Magic School Bus videos, books and computer games. They read lots of sciencey stuff on their own...and love science kits I buy from time to time. My older kids use Apologia beginning in 7th grade. Any text series would work.

For music / art / etc. I try to make those things a part of our every day life. I play classical music, put up art prints, play art games, go to museums, have pretty coffee table books etc.

I try to think of our lifestyle as one of learning....and make our home an educational place.

Oh, no screen time during school hours. Not even our magic School Bus or Bill Nye....that happens either early in the am before school time or in the evening after dinner and before bed. Otherwise, we would not get anything done.

Good Luck

Faithe

We took the plunge and did CLE for Math, LA, and Reading this year. It was a good move. We are still doing MFW this year but I think next we will do BJU for Bible, Science, and History in the younger grades, and either BJU or Apologia science starting in 7th (oldest ds is doing Apologia General this year). It has simpified things alot here going to all textbooks. It has encourage older kids to be more independent. They just don't want to have to wait around for everyone to be at a good point to sit down together to read science, Bible, and history; hence our move to textbooks for those subjects as well. Still deciding on Math for Algebra and up, but CLE will be our choice up until then, and I think we will use their language arts in highschool as well.

With younger kids, dropping content areas (history, science) as formal subjects and just leaving them to child-led, interest-based absorption would be the first thing I'd do.

Actually, it's what I did earlier this year. We're sticking with math and LA. Next year we'll throw Latin back into the mix, and probably start history and science more formally at home in the Logic stage. I figure, why drip water on a sponge when it's running around soaking up every drop lying around anyway?

For logic stage-

*CLE for math, la and reading

I would supplement vocabulary with online lists for SAT prep

*CKE Explore science series with library books

*Truthquest history with library/interlibrary loan books and WTM outlining methods. I would buy one or two spines for this program. One narrative (Guerber or Dorothy Mills) and one encylopedia type for outlining (Kingfisher or DK).

A math book and whatever books the kids feel like reading.:)

Excellent advice, jld. :001_smile:

I think this could work great for you until high school. Cut that TOG cord if that's what you are wanting to do. IMO it is better to move on regardless of what the cost was. If it doesn't work for you, you and your kids lose more by continuing with something that isn't a good fit.

Here would be my expanded suggestion for you: I would require at least one hour of reading daily plus read aloud time. I'd also have them using a timeline. I would ask my kids to also look up places on a map from places they learn about in the books they read--one thing that I haven't done yet that I always wanted to is have a world map on my kitchen table with a clear plastic tablecloth over it. I think having timeline maps handy is also a good idea. I'd have some magazine subscriptions, maybe National Geographic and a few others. I would make sure to remember that when the kids are doing crafts, helping with cooking, playing outdoors (p/e) that is a learning activity that can and should count as part of school. Also, you can allow them one afternoon for science experiments. If you can afford it, there are wonderful experiment kits out there.

If I wanted to be a bit more formal, I would get some ideas from Charlotte Mason. In practice, for me, educating in a CM-ish style is not at all confusing or overwhelming. I would ask the kids to choose books from specific subject areas in addition to fun readers of their choice--a history book, biography, nature book, science, art appreciation, fiction, and poetry--and I would put these on a shelf and have them reading at least a chapter a week of each. I would ask them to narrate to me orally and then producing a written narration a few times a week if they are ready for that on some of their readings. I'd also keep a book list for each of my children for documentation purposes. I would also choose 3 composers and artists to cover for the year--and when I say cover I simply mean play a CD and put a print of the artist's up on the wall for a few weeks, cycling through about 6 prints of each artist.

To cover language arts, in addition to the narrating, I'd use something like Winston Grammar when they are old enough. For spelling, I'd cover that through copywork and later through dictation. I'd have everyone doing copywork. When your little ones are ready to learn to read, we've used Phonics Pathways with great success here.

Not very textbookish and if you like a lit-based education, I think this could work really nicely and be very manageable for you. We have quickly discovered here that too many textbooks destroy the love of learning. We have also discovered that reading a chapter a week of many books works quite well--in addition to free reading at a quicker pace. I might be inclined to add in a more formal science program in 8th grade to prepare for high school science. Something like Apologia Physical perhaps. I would not worry about a foreign language until high school. IMO if you do math and reading until high school, your kids will be fine. I think this will take the pressure off of you of feeling like you have to cover certain things at certain times. There is no getting behind as long as your children are reading, doing math lessons on a regular basis and doing some writing through copywork, dictation and narrations. You can but don't have to toss in the few extras like classical music CDs and artist prints, a timeline, map work.

I'd also cut all screen time during the day.

One book that has helped me relax is The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook by Raymond and Dorothy Moore.

Best wishes. :001_smile:

We're using K12 - and while Iknow there are debates about whether it's "real" homeschool, I love it for my older two. It can be very hands on if you have the time and energy, or they can get it done on their own (except obvious things like new concepts in math) if you need.

Their history is really good (rumor has it SWB helped write the early grades curriculum - hte olders are using the Story of US by Joy Hakim), LA is good and thorough, Lit is good - I wish it were associated with history more, but still good. Science is very good. Math leaves me blah, but it is different in each state and I'm looking at going back to Singapore for that next year.

The plans are all laid out for you online, I just make sure we're moving along in each subject. Really, I do like it.

how would you do it?

Good questions with so many options and answers, I've used the following two.

1. Go with a full planned curriculum from a single provider.

2. LLATL, a math textbook, and living books for science and history using The Well Trained Mind and Sonlight book lists and my library.

Edited by Tammyla

That's what we do, at least for the younger ones. I still have them read lots of books, and we listen to Story of the World in the car. We don't do Latin or Logic. I stick to the basics and make sure we do them well. I am thinking of getting Latin on a computer program next year. My oldest son may do well with that. But I have found that it's most important to do the basics well, and then make sure they get lots of good books.

I have streamlined and cut down a lot since dd was born. Right now I'm happy doing Latin (which is also geting some grammar done as well as writing/copywork as we are doing basic translation work), math (just Singapore for ds#2 and Singapore with LoF on Fridays for ds#1, and reading (both older boys are working on novels/chapter books at their levels). My goal is to add spelling back in - it's me intensive but can be done in 15-20 minutes, MCT (we do this together), and Sentence Composing (again, we do this together). I've decided that if we do any more science, history, or art this year, that will be a bonus. We did quite a bit before dd was born, so I'm okay with slacking on those areas right now. We can pick that all up next school year (this summer).

I've tried to drop most of my me-intensive subjects/curriculum; the ones I have kept (MCT and AAS), we either do together or I can do both boys at the same time even though they are at different levels. I actually am at peace with what I've cut/what I've kept. The hardest was ditching the plans for science and history for the rest of the year. I've never been consistent with those, and we were doing so well this year being consistent. But, I have set up those two subjects as "when we have time" - so I planned out what I would like to do the rest of the year in those subjects and if we have extra time/energy, we read together and *maybe* do a narration/dictation page. Otherwise, we just move on with our day.

:grouphug: There are many seasons in our lives ... some call for less and it's okay. It will not always be this way.

I'm considering doing MFW for high school. DS really seems to like textbooks; he likes the consistent format. Since MFW uses a textbook at its core, I think he'll be comfortable. Plus it's all planned out. He'll take science and math at our co-op, which leaves me to just add Japanese.

I personally would love to do TOG if it would work well with ds (it's the way I would have wanted to learn), but it gets overwhelming and frustrating to him, and it would be a lot more work for me. I want to make him more independent.

Wendi

This is me, exactly.

This year I went with the BJU DVD series for ds10. I watch most of them and it works great even with my supplementing on the side some. We spend a lot of time on the road thanks to dd therapies and such so he can watch them in the car or take them to grandparents and never miss a beat. As he covers topics in the books and lessons I still usually visit the library and check out go-along books on those topics to expand them. After doing living books and things like WinterPromise he loves the DVDs and the traditional textbooks. He hated using living books because he never knew where we would end, or how many books we would read out of, and so on. He loves how a lesson is a certain number of pages in a textbook. He loves how we can then go to the library or go online and read more.

You gals have given me lots of great suggestions. Thanks so much!

For the remainder of the year I have decided to make due with what we have. I am pretty much dropping TOG in favor of SOTW. We are going to use SOTW as a read aloud 2 to 3 times a week. My youngest will continue with the accompanying map work and summaries, while my eldest will read the TOG books that coordinate with that chapter, but we are dropping the SAPs altogether. Eldest will still do the TOG map work weekly.

I am dropping Winston Grammar and just using the grammar chapters included in BJU English.

They will continue with their NEOE science kit, but we are bumping it down to 2 days per week.

I am feeling relief already. I have the summer to reassess for fall, and decide if we want to go with something more workbookish or textbookish.

It's nice to know that there are some of you out there using 'packaged' curriculum!

I had to do this a few years ago when I found that we had so much that it was too much and too distracting. I found that staggering the projects and curriculum have been beneficial. I still have a lot I like to get through but schooling year round helps out with that.

• 2 weeks later...
A math book and whatever books the kids feel like reading.:)

:iagree:

Math is the most essential. The rest, to me, one can be more flexible about. :)

Dd used Calvert in 5th grade. I loved it because it is open and go.

We started off with Calvert and now only do their math. Although we use a few other math programs also.

Most recently, I've been leaning far more towards workbooks and living books than specific programs. I have found, that many of the programs created by and/or made for homeschoolers, just aren't the right match for us. JAG was simply THE worst purchase we ever made. There are a few others. Queen's LA was fine for a while, but all that copywork got to be very repetitive and boring. I do have a tendency to be a curriculum and book junkie. ;)

After we finished up 7th grade in December I decided to ask him what he wanted to use. He said he missed A Beka..so that's what we went back to.

He likes the DVD lessons and I just adjust the assignments that seem like to much busy work. We have to be finished up before November for our next move so this is a great way for us to accomplish it and be happy. :001_smile: