Menu

TT or Saxon?

plain jane

Which would you choose?  

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Saxon Math (likely 6/5)
    • Teaching Textbooks (not sure between 4 or 5 at this point)

If you *had* to choose between one of these programs, which would you go with? Please add why- your help would be greatly appreciated.

I need to take dd off SM for a while (will have finished 4b) since she's not fully grasping the material and I don't think that the SM way of thinking is going to work for her.

We'll do some LoF next year but (I have the books and used them myself) she's not currently ready for them quite yet.

I've decided we'll go with either TT or Saxon but am really uncertain which way to go.

Did you already rule out MM? It's more incremental than Singapore, requires smaller leaps.

If I absolutely had to choose between TT and Saxon, I'd go with Saxon (of which I am NOT a fan, for all the typical reasons people who dislike Saxon dislike it). I'd be concerned, fairly or unfairly based on reputation alone, of TT being too easy/not rigorous enough.

We would use TT. Reasons?

1) DD had a bad experience with Saxon 5/4 and is scared to go back to it.

2) DS strongly dislikes all of the review in Saxon.

3) I dislike Saxon's attitude that I'm not smart enough to know which problems my child needs and which ones they don't need (Saxon says you MUST do ALL of the problems).

4) I'm hearing plenty of good actual ACT/SAT scores from those who have used TT including people here on the WTM forum.

We would use TT. Reasons?

1) DD had a bad experience with Saxon 5/4 and is scared to go back to it.

2) DS strongly dislikes all of the review in Saxon.

3) I dislike Saxon's attitude that I'm not smart enough to know which problems my child needs and which ones they don't need (Saxon says you MUST do ALL of the problems).

4) I'm hearing plenty of good actual ACT/SAT scores from those who have used TT including people here on the WTM forum.

Most of this. :iagree:

After using Saxon 2 and 1/4th of horizons 3 for my oldest, we tried TT for him and he did 5 and 1/2 of 6 in 4th grade. For him it was interesting because of the "cartoon like" aspect of it, but he said it really didn't teach him much, other than some solidification of his multiplication and division. He's now in 6th and doing Saxon 7/6 and loves it. He doesn't mind the mix of problems (review and new) because he says it keeps it interesting, he also says he feels like he's really working, it's not a "No brainer" anymore to do math. I tried TT 3 with my dd to try and make math fun and she said Saxon was more fun, so we're back with Saxon 3 and my youngest is using Saxon K and has so much fun I'd never think of changing him.

We use Teaching Textbooks because Saxon just wasn't a good fit for us.

Ds understands math much better now that we switched to TT. He is a grade level ahead in TT because when we took the placement test, he placed a grade ahead. I would do the placement test before ordering TT.

We use Saxon up through 65. Then, I use TT 7 for 6th grade. I just like how they teach fractions, decimals and percents better than the presentation in Saxon. Now, having said that, I plan to return to Saxon after TT 7. My current plan is to finish TT7, then do the tests in Saxon 76. When the test scores drop, I'll go into Sax76 and finish up that book. If they do not drop, then we will decide on Saxon 87 or Saxon 1/2

because it will give her confidence, not to mention keep her interested. My oldest did the first 5 levels of MUS, but was not testing as well as I hoped, so in 6th he did TT 7 and he got the highest test scores on his Standardized tests last year than he ever has. He is currently working through Pre-Alg and he really understands and is doing well.

I also teach high school English to several students, one who just took her SAT and did quite well on the Math section. She has used TT since Pre Algebra. So there you go.

Sometimes kids just need something different. Saxon has always been a big bomb here whenever we have tried it. I once had every level from K- 8/7 and I finally sold it because no one liked it at all.

I switched to TT last year. I agree with the other posts. Mostly, my ds (used TT4, now TT5) doesn't give me any attitude about doing math. He enjoys doing it with TT. My dd13 is in TT Algebra this year and is doing great. My dd10 liked TT, but I moved her to MUS this year because of some ld issues. She did well on TT, but I think MUS is best for her.

My friends who have switched to TT have gone from tears of frustration with their kids at math time, to more peace in their day. Can't say enough about how much it has helped our schedules!!

~needmoregrace

Saxon. We have used TT 3 before but my son was not retaining anything so we changed. A friend of mine's son found a glitch in the program and figured out to manipulate the lessons and she was none the wiser. I just started my son back into Saxon. We used younger grades a few years back. I am going back to Saxon for him because he has to have that constant review that Saxon provides. He doesn't do well with learning something then not working with the process again for a while. He needs to learn something and then work with it for several lessons before it falls off the review rotation. Saxon works extremely well for this.

I also plan to put the almost 5 year old in Saxon in the fall for K. I just believe in Saxon's way of doing things. I don't know the future but I don't see my younger son needing the constant review that Saxon provides but I will just modify the practice and review for him if need be.

Needless to say we are just a Saxon family it looks like. I am also using their Phonics Intervention with my son and am looking strongly at their grammar for him next year also. ANDDD I am looking into the phonics program for the younger son. I just like their way of doing things it appears :D

I had to make the same decision for my oldest for next year because the program we are using does not yet have a grade 4 curriculum written. (Perhaps it will by September, but I'd rather have a plan than spend from now until September wondering, and then do the same thing again next year.) I chose to go with TT. Why?

We tried Saxon, used it for years actually while I looked around for something better, and we all hate it. Even my dh, who does math with the kids maybe 10 times/year, made a face and said, "Don't we hate Saxon?" Then I had him watch some of the samples from TT and he said he preferred that and thought the kids would really like it too.

The only reason I even considered going with Saxon is because of the many negative reviews on this board about TT being too light. However, we already supplement with MM and Key to books anyway, so my hope is that if we continue with that it will negate any possible lack of rigor in TT. We also plan to use LoF when we're ready, and Your Business Math.

So basically, I'm choosing to use something my kids and I will enjoy and not worry about rigor because it's not the only thing they will be doing.

I have used computer/CD-ROM based programs for many of my DC, including my first year homeschooling, where 90% of the lessons were computer based. Over time I have begun to agree with SWB and now use them only for supplementation or drill. Unless your DC has a problem where they need video/computer programs to accomodate a special need I would side with Saxon.

Edited by melmichigan

I know Saxon is a solid program, but TT has been a lifesaver here. As long as you thoughtfully choose the level (rather than just taking the grade level of your child), you'll find that the instruction moves along nicely and the spiral review increases retention. I have no issues at all with TT and I can see that my daughter is learning math without stress. I plan to continue it as long as it's working for us.

We have used Saxon for K-2 and find it to be a great thorough program. I like the review aspect because it seems to help dd really retain the concepts. The black & white has never been an issue. Some of the repetition with the meeting book portion gets a little old so I omit some of it when I know it's mastered.

I am going to have to make that decision in a couple of years when ds finishes Horizons. If I had to make the decisions right now, I'd go with TT because of the reasons listed by the other posters. (The number one reason being that it "frees" me up from having to do intensive one-on-one math lessons with my son.) I would not go with Saxon for the same reasons listed by the other posters! ;)

We tried TT this past summer and although my dd liked it, she would get very discouraged when she missed a problem. She new it was taking points off. My dd also mentioned that there was not enough review. She is now using Saxon and requested to use it next year as well.

My ds couldn't stand the little animated cartoon figure. Drove him crazy.

It's a good program, but it just wasn't for us. :blink:

Edited by Homeschooling6

I don't understand why she would get discouraged that it was taking a point off' date=' on 99% of the problems, when you get them wrong the student has the chance to redo it (the only time we have found to not be able to do that is when it's like a true or false questions). it.[/quote']

My dd is very competitive with herself. At times she couldn't do it twice and that was also discouraging for her a well. She never new when she was going to get the 2nd chance. Maybe we had a dud, who knows........

Like I said, it's a great program, just not for us.

I'd use Saxon, but I'd test to see where she fits. My 4th grader finished Saxon 6/5 and the first 30 or so lessons (which were pretty much review, but taught slightly differently) of 7/6.

She tested into TT5 when she was in 2nd grade and it had just come out. She was in Saxon 3 at that point. She's not gifted in math, she just does well, and Saxon explains things in a way she can get.

Ds used TT Geometry--it was not enough for him. He is not strong in math, and TT approached it in a way that did not fit.

Not saying TT isn't a good program--just find your fit.

Saxon, and use the placement test to pick the level, not your estimate.

TT is a fallback. It's easier and slower than Saxon. You want it available to you but not to turn to it too soon. TT doesn't converge on Algebra 1 in 8th grade, and what it calls Algebra 1 does not really cover the complete high school level Algebra 1 curriculum.

Saxon is black and white, so no pictures to distract you from math. It is plain and simple and gets the job done. It does not kludge religion into the math worksheets. It provides plenty of review, so a student who really doesn't like math that much is forced to continually remember what was taught before. It saved my DD as a math student, completely and totally.