Menu

How far would you travel to a homeschool convention?

Dh and I were looking into going to our local LEAH convention this spring. It is a four hour drive for us.

But then I started looking at info for the bigger conferences that SWB is going to be at this year and got way more excited about those!

So my question is how far would you travel to a convention?

We live outside of Albany, NY. I was looking at the the NE convention in Philly. Dh is only sort of wanting to go and I had him convinced with the mention of Tim Hawkins. But I see he isn't going to be at that one! :(

I think it would be totally silly to fly to Cincinatti or South Carolina (Tim Hawkins for dh.) But this got me to thinking... How far have YOU gone to go to a convention.

Is the Cincinatti one better than Philly?

I don't think I would spend more than $150 to attend a convention unless I could combine the trip with something else. Examples, I would fly to FPEA in Florida because I could combine the convention with seeing some good friends. I once drove 7 hours and prob spent around $250 to go to a convention in LA, but I combined that with an extended trip to see my family. The most I have traveled solely for a convention was about a 3 hour drive. Between gas, food, entrance and hotel I spent about $150.

I'm driving six hours from the Chicago area to Cincinnati. I told my parents I was going and they said they'd been wanting to go the Creation Museum, which is only a 20-30 minute drive from where I'll be staying. We decided to drive down together and share a room. Saves both of us the cost of driving and hotel. Maybe you could do something similar?

I don't even go to our local ones, so I would vote, fewer than 10 miles! But I am so NOT a homeschool convention person.

Dawn

:iagree:

I would love to be able to go and shop in the vendor hall but I have no interest in all of the lectures and other activities. Unfortunately, although I am only 45 minutes from Cincinnati, they don't allow you to do that. I can't see paying the registration fee to just go shop when I could just pay shipping (or not even that) from home.

I've never gone to one more than an hour away but I'm strongly considering going to Philly in June. I'd love to hear SWB speak in person. It would be a couple hour drive and I'd probably need to get a hotel room. I haven't gone to one in probably 6 years that had speakers. I attend the Maryland Home Educator Curriculum fair each April but they don't have speakers- just lots of booths.

I think it would be totally silly to fly to Cincinatti or South Carolina (Tim Hawkins for dh.) But this got me to thinking... How far have YOU gone to go to a convention.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and am going to be attending the conference in Cincy. However, nearly my entire family lives in the area, so I have a place to stay, a car to use, an opportunity to visit my family, and my boys get to spend more than a week playing with their cousins.

We use Latin for Children - Christopher Perrin will be speaking, MCT - MCT will be speaking, and of course, SWB will be speaking as well. It is my turn to travel this year, and I admittedly chose this time of year to visit my family, so that I could also attend the conference. That being said, I don't think I would travel this far if it wasn't for the fact that my family is in the area.

Krista

Lasy year we drove from Nebraska to Cincy. It was worth every penny. I would love to go to one of the big conferences this year, but it just will not work out with dh's work schedule.:glare: I may be looking into other conferences later in the year. While I LOVE browsing the vendor hall, the speakers and workshops are just phenomenal. I need that pep-talk.

I've flown from Ga. to Colorado before. I was particularly burned out that year and knew the line-up would get me back on track.

I'm so glad I did~I think that was the last time Chris Klicka spoke in public and I greatly admired him.

I'm lobbying heavily to go to Cincinnati's convention this year.

The jury's still out...:glare:

Dh and I were looking into going to our local LEAH convention this spring. It is a four hour drive for us.

But then I started looking at info for the bigger conferences that SWB is going to be at this year and got way more excited about those!

So my question is how far would you travel to a convention?

We live outside of Albany, NY. I was looking at the the NE convention in Philly. Dh is only sort of wanting to go and I had him convinced with the mention of Tim Hawkins. But I see he isn't going to be at that one! :(

Any of the 4 conventions the Cincy people are doing will be good. These people just know how to do a convention! As to how much it's worth to you and how far to go, well that's your own decision. I wouldn't pay tons more to do Cincy over PA, since both will be good. If your dh doesn't want to go, find a girlfriend to hook up with. Will you be taking your littles? Do you know grandparents can go with your family registration? I'm taking my mother, and she'll play with my children while I do the convention. They're all (grandma and children) looking forward to it. :)

A grouchy dh is just a drag and hinders your shopping. :)