Menu

ART! I can't be the only one who needs help with art

Penelope

I haven't felt that badly about not having much in the way of art lessons up through now (3rd grade). We have plenty of materials that the kids have experimented with. We paint a lot. We have Draw Write Now books, and those other Draw through History ones, to play with.

But I feel I need to add something more formal. And actually do it. :tongue_smilie:

I know a little Art History and next to nothing about the subject of art.

Here is what I have tried and not had success with:

Drawing With Children--used for a while when ds was in K/1st, sporadically. Could not keep it up, too much for me to organize. I do like it, though.

Artistic Pursuits. We have gone about halfway through the first book, in over 2 years. :001_rolleyes: When I do get the book out, my children usually don't like the suggested idea, but use the materials and the idea as a jumping off point. I like the incorporation of picture study, but I think the prints are too small, at least for young children with the edition I own.

Charlotte Mason style picture study. I have done this with two different artists. I have the Discovering Young Artists book so that we can do a project along with it. We have done this for two artists. I like this but I am not consistent.

Is there anything that uses something like the above curriculums that is easier for mom to implement? Or a schedule that someone has made that puts any of the above, together in a way that is easy to use? Or any other curriculum that is very easy and simple with some basic ideas about art?

We just started I Can Do All Things from HGTA and are loving it. This particular program is more technique-based but he has others. I bought the DVDs so art would get done and someone else would teach it. So far so good. I even copied the pages and bought marker cards for myself to do it with ds. We're having a blast.

One thing that's nice is that the lessons don't need to be done in order. In fact, Mr. stebbing recommends that you switch between drawing, markers, and painting so the dc don't get bored.

Art? :confused: Are we supposed to be teaching art?:001_huh:

:iagree::lol:

Actually, thinking back to my own school years, I never had art past elementary school, and I think it was more common in the early grades than the later elementary grades. Right now, I do Draw Write Now books, but honestly, I'm not too worried about art in the long run, unless one of my kids possesses a talent and/or desire for art. So far, the one in school isn't good at art and isn't asking for art, so I have him do a color pencil drawing (working on hand strength) from Draw Write Now, and I do it with him. If we do a history project that uses paint, I call that art too. :D

Art just isn't that important to my family though, so I'm ok with letting it slide in the later years. Maybe have some basic art history so they know who major artists are, but I'm not worried if they don't know how to make a sculpture out of clay (actually, the one art I *did* do in high school was making sculptures out of Starbursts on band trips! :lol: ). We are a musical family, so there will be plenty of "fine arts" via music. I think that's ok. I know the artists out there might disagree. :D

You mentioned that, for picture study, the prints you were using were too small. I'm not sure how big you're talking about, but you can often pick up books of famous works quite cheaply at large bookstores. I have a massive book of famous artwork- it's over five hundred pages of nothing but pictures and is, oh, probably over a foot wide and two feet tall closed- that I picked up for twenty bucks at Barnes and Noble. The thing includes every major artwork from, well, pretty much ever. You could try looking for something like that to use.

I've tried various things. I've just come to terms with the fact I'm an unschooler in the art department. ;) I provide books and materials and let my kids do art as desired. And they often do.

:lol: I love this! My dd, however, loves art and is not thriving with the unschooler approach. I just received Feed My Sheep (level above I Can Do all Things-mentioned by a PP) and it looks easy and simple to do. I'm hoping that it means that art will actually get done, regularly, like every week...

We just started I Can Do All Things from HGTA and are loving it. This particular program is more technique-based but he has others. I bought the DVDs so art would get done and someone else would teach it. So far so good. I even copied the pages and bought marker cards for myself to do it with ds. We're having a blast.

One thing that's nice is that the lessons don't need to be done in order. In fact, Mr. stebbing recommends that you switch between drawing, markers, and painting so the dc don't get bored.

:iagree: this is an open and go program that teaches some rich fundamentals to young kids. there is no guesswork because you are using his assignments. I was not sure about it before because it was so simple...surely it must be harder, but the kids and i both took his 3-day seminar and they LOVED it. They still practice the things they learned and are enthusiastic about the curriculum.

Popping in to say thanks for this recommendation! I think it looks like a nice compliment to Drawing with Children and I love that it lists a lot of other resources... not just works of art, but children's books. I have added it to my upcoming 1st grade shopping list:)

Well, I do a bit of this and that.

I have lessons for contour drawing mixed with Drawing with Children and Drawing Basics. There are 18 lessons that I developed.

Next, I use the grade level from RS and Abeka for Art. They have books.

Between these four resources, and our nature journal, we do plenty of artsy things.

For study of art, we are studying great artists in a notebook fashion. I took a composition notebook and labeled it Great Artist Study. We created an index page(s). I printed a title for each artist and printed a picture from wikipedia. We read books from the juvenile section of the library. We photocopy or print and paste works in our notebook with the title and date. I have a mini map for each continent that we mark for the geographical location of the artist and paste it. Dd writes a paragraph on the artist's life in her notebook. She records books/tapes that were read on a resouces page. We add mini books and pockets and so forth.

I took the composition notebook idea from a teacher who taught gifted children. We developed the study from this this site ... here. We use a great deal of the "lapbook" materials inside the notebook.

I hope this helps!

We are not unschooling art, but we are more or less "pot luck" with art. Our activities are recorded in the lesson plans versus planned in the lesson plans. LOL :D

Have you looked at http://www.gardenofpraise.com/art.htm ?

There are biographies or many artists, pictures of some of their works, games and puzzles to do online or print out. It's pretty great.

Another good resource for hands-on project ideas is http://www.kinderart.com/ .

Oh, and your kids might be the right age for the Artists Specials DVDs, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Specials-DVD-Collectors-Set/dp/B000FBHFH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296576823&sr=8-1

Our library has them all, and my son enjoyed them.

My only one left homeschooling is older now, but I'm still stealing ideas and resources from these sites (and others) to put together his art history study for the year.

I just figured out which artists fit with his history study and then made a list of which of them I had notes or project ideas for, put it in chronological order and typed out weekly assignments.

I just checked out a book from our library called How to Talk to Children About Art by Francoise Barbe-Gall. It looks very promising.

I also have How to Teach Art to Children by Evan-Moor. It has nice lessons plans but I have a hard time implementing/teaching the lessons myself.

I'm also looking into the Atelier DVD courses and The Art of Drawing for Kids/The Art of Watercolor for Kids: http://www.store.thegluckmethod.com/

Calvert also has a DVD course for art. We have the music course and were pleased with it so I am thinking about getting the art one.

I bought Harmony Art Mom's program and have been very pleased with it. We're doing Ancient Art and the Orchestra. It's listed for grades 5-8 but I'm including my 4th grader in the mix. She also has grammar level and rhetoric level.

Her program gives you 3 options for art. In "Ancient Art and the Orchestra" Option 1 is straight picture study so if that's all you want to do, you can do that. The program has links to the artwork to study that you then print out. The 2nd option is for art appreciation and learning to draw. She does this through a variety of books you can purchase or get through the library. The 3rd option uses Artistic Pursuits. You get all three options when you purchase the curriculum. You decide which option you would like to use.

I saw on her web site that she mentions using Artistic Pursuits & Drawing with Children in different programs she offers. Since you already own these you might be interested in one of them since she has the weekly plans all set up for you. You can also view sample pages there.

We've used Artistic Pursuits, Drawing with Children, and Meet the Masters. I love all these programs, but MTM has been the easiest and most fun for us to use. I am printing off Track B lessons now in fact. Yep, the coop has it at half off, it seems it will be offered there for quite some time.

Popping in to say thanks for this recommendation! I think it looks like a nice compliment to Drawing with Children and I love that it lists a lot of other resources... not just works of art, but children's books. I have added it to my upcoming 1st grade shopping list:)

:iagree: I like this book also and added it to my long... list for next year. Hopefully I will be able to get it.

We are currently using AP K-3 Book 1 and like it. I have also included the Usborne book "The Children's Book of Art" and it's fun checking out the links and getting to do some online art activities and also seeing Art online on the screen rather than the small images in the AP book. For next year I was going to get AP K-3 Book 2 but maybe I will pass and since we have Drawing With Children (I was going to add some of it this year after we finish AP) I can get this and use them together also :). I need to do some more thinking on that...

ETA: Ooops, thank you to the pp that posted the link and for the idea.

Edited by Guest

Art is just not my thing, either. However, I have decided that my goal in teaching art is that my children are familiar with (have at least heard the names of) the artists who our culture deems important and have seen 2-3 examples of their paintings. So, I guess it's more of an art appreciation course. We're doing the same thing for music. I'm just feeling very overwhelmed right now and can't do it all. ANd I shouldn't feel like I have to. I'm just one person - a mom who has to not only educate her children, but make dinner, do the laundry and keep the house in some semblance of order.

My kids love The Art Book for Children Book One and The Art Book for Children Book Two by Phaidon for art appreciation. They are written directly to the child and we go over one two-page spread a day. It is an eclectic mix of art from the old masters to contemporary. Barnes and Noble has both books (Amazon only carries one of them).

We use Meet the Masters (purchased through Homeschool Buyers Coop) and love it. It has art appreciation, art history, and technique all in one easy program. It's scripted so you don't have to have a strong background in art to do it. It's really fun and DD has actually learned a lot from it.

We use Meet the Masters (purchased through Homeschool Buyers Coop) and love it. It has art appreciation, art history, and technique all in one easy program. It's scripted so you don't have to have a strong background in art to do it. It's really fun and DD has actually learned a lot from it.

:iagree:

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions!

I'm going to check a few of them out. I think the Harmony Mom lessons might work for now since I could use some things I already have and like.

I'm getting inspired to schedule in some art lessons for the spring. More than twice. :lol:

We just recently started using Art Through Children's Literature: Creative Art Lessons for Caldecott Books. It focuses on art techniques using 11 different types of media. The lessons are super easy but engaging.

Thanks for the suggestion! It's now on my wishlist. It's a lot like the book I linked to on the first page, but looks more project based, and less focused on the art elements and principals?

For me, learning art is not about knowing stuff just to know stuff. When I developed my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder...a desire to create emerged...that I saw emerge in the vast majority of other psyche patients I came into contact with. Those who had confidence and some basic skills in an art, whether visual arts, fiber art, music, poetry or whatever, were better able to self-soothe, and recovered faster and weathered the inevitable bumps and bruises one accumulates by seeking help from practitioners who are often crazier than the patients they treat.

Confidence and familiarlarity with a medium and tools were the most important thing, not talent or even years spent working at the art. They just needed a plan and the tools to carry it out.

I believe that we should give children a toolbag of art skills, if possible. Art can be very healing. I've also noticed that in general artists have a healthier sense of their intrinsic worth than nonartists.

Christians believe they were created in the image of a creator. If that is true we were created to create. When we don't do what we were created to do, we develop illnesses.

I have struggled with Art as well, and have a couple of the suggested books.

Finally, though, I spoke with a local Art Museum and we have started a home school Art Class. :) Twice a month (Wednesdays 1-3pm) the students will meet, tour the current art displays and then do hands on activities to include painting, drawing, clay, and more!

If you have a local Art Museum or any type of artist display you could speak with them. We had another shorter (4 week?) class offered at a smaller, local art vendor last year that was also well received by our local group.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! It's now on my wishlist. It's a lot like the book I linked to on the first page, but looks more project based, and less focused on the art elements and principals?

I would not say that Art Through Children's Literature is less focused on art elements and principles. What it does is to teach art elements and principles through a focus on using different media. For example, when we used the book, Abraham Lincoln, the lesson was about using pencil to add shading to a drawing. The suggestion in the lesson was to first shade one "log" and then move on to a log cabin. We did do the one log, but I knew that making an entire log cabin would be too tedious for dd5. So instead we drew a princess and shaded her dress, her wand, and her crown. Consequently, there is definitely some sort of project in each lesson, but the focus is most definitely on elements, principles, techniques and media.

Incidentally, I chose this book, because it was similar to our FIAR art lessons of last year. I had noticed that some of the techniques that we worked on in our lessons were showing up in dd's drawings. I was pleased to find something that would help me to add to her "art toolbox" so to speak.

I would not say that Art Through Children's Literature is less focused on art elements and principles. What it does is to teach art elements and principles through a focus on using different media. For example, when we used the book, Abraham Lincoln, the lesson was about using pencil to add shading to a drawing. The suggestion in the lesson was to first shade one "log" and then move on to a log cabin. We did do the one log, but I knew that making an entire log cabin would be too tedious for dd5. So instead we drew a princess and shaded her dress, her wand, and her crown. Consequently, there is definitely some sort of project in each lesson, but the focus is most definitely on elements, principles, techniques and media.

Incidentally, I chose this book, because it was similar to our FIAR art lessons of last year. I had noticed that some of the techniques that we worked on in our lessons were showing up in dd's drawings. I was pleased to find something that would help me to add to her "art toolbox" so to speak.

I am glad the book you linked was brought up and you got to explain a little more about it. I liked the looks of it also but was wondering the same thing. Good to know that it does focus on the elements and principles of art. Keeping that one on my list too :).

We just bought the 3 year subscription to Mark Kistler's Online art academy and my kids LOVE it. I hear them talking about texture and shading and overlap and all kinds of other art terms all the time now. Not only that but they are applying all those things to their own drawings. I find his videos annoying but the kids love them. He demonstrates, explains and encourages the kids to draw along with him and pause the video if they need some more time. He also shows famous paintings and drawings that demonstrate something he is teaching from time to time (not really enough to call it picture study though)

Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has the 3 year subscription right now for $40. For that price, I was really pleasantly surprised at how much they have learned. I expected it to be just a fun extra but now I'm working it in as a weekly art lesson and I'll fill in with more in depth picture study and perhaps some trips to the ArtLab at our local art museum.

I don't claim to have done this very well, but here is what I did (it was helpful, but not sufficient to make me feel like we were doing 'enough'):

1. Studied a book called "Looking At Pictures" which showed lots of great examples and then wrote about them. (ETA: There was writing about them in the book. We did not write about them ourselves. We just read it.)

2. Went to museums, not as often as we should have, but when we did go, we didn't rush through them. We picked a few things to stand in front of and discuss. Modern art is open to a lot of different interpretations, and classical art has a lot going on, so there is a lot to see and discuss in just about any good piece. We talked about it kind of the way we talk about literature, but not for as long. We also discussed the pictures as well as reading the text of really beautiful picture books, past the years when picture books are usually read. Examples of good ones: Grandpa Bear's Fantastic Scarf, I Love You As Much, The Quiltmaker's Gift, The Wild Christmas Reindeer.

3. Kept really good materials around to experiment with. This means good drawing pencils, Prismacolor pencils, Sharpies of various widths (there are at least 4 different sizes), oil pastels, various kinds of fibers, card stock, origami papers, watercolor paper, bright colored printer paper, plain, colored and patterned tissue paper, etc. Also kept technique books around on things like drawing, knitting, weaving, making books, making greeting cards, etc.

4. Joined coops that included some involvement with teaching techniques in an open-ended fashion. This built proficiency without being frustrating. These tended to be Waldorfy or fine arts-oriented.

5. Bought a few (just a very few) major art books for the junior high years, and studied and discussed them. The most successful was a big, beautiful Renaissance painting book that we studied every day, more or less devotionally, during Lent one year.

In retrospect, I felt vaguely guilty all the time about the art that DD didn't learn and do. I wanted to do Monart, but didn't. I bought supplies that we never used. I even bought one of those drawing curriculum books--I think it was I Can Do All Things--and we never used it. But now DD is in high school, and she is taking a drawing class, and the teacher LOVES her work--a couple of times she has gotten more than 100% on her projects, which is quite unusual. She has a good power of observation, and analysis comes naturally to her. She is willing to take her time to get things exactly the way she wants them. She turns mistakes into 'features'. And I know that the little that we did was helpful, and the best thing we could have done to prepare for this, although we certainly could have done a lot more.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Okay, so you are saying that even thoughArt Through Children's Literature organizes it's lessons by media instead of elements and principals, it still is strongly focused on teaching the elements and principals?

Do you think it is advisable to go through Teaching Art With Books Kids Love first, covering each element and principal one at a time?

Okay, so you are saying that even though Art Through Children's Literature organizes it's lessons by media instead of elements and principals, it still is strongly focused on teaching the elements and principals?

Do you think it is advisable to go through Teaching Art With Books Kids Love first, covering each element and principal one at a time?

I have never seen TAWBKL, but I took a look at the it on Amazon. Based on what they show there, here is the main difference that I see. TAWBKL appears to take a particular element or principal and list good children's books that you can use to demonstrate that subject matter.

ATCL, on the other hand, takes each Caldecott book, and crafts three different art lessons around the illustrations contained in that book. So, for example, when we used the book, Abraham Lincoln, we learned about shading, framing and color mixing. One of those lessons used regular pencil, and the other two used colored pencils. It seems to me that in ATCL, the books are a much more integral part of the lessons.

However, ATCL does not include lessons on artistic styles (impressionism, surrealism, etc.) like TAWBKL does.

It appears to me that there is a substantial amount of overlap between the two books. I would have a hard time using TAWBKL, because I would struggle with knowing how to use the books that are recommended. ATCL tells exactly which book and page to turn to in order to teach the lesson. OTOH, I really like the idea of teaching the different artistic styles. But my dd is only 5yo, and not very artsy, so I don't think that is a concern for us right now.

Does that help?

I have never seen TAWBKL, but I took a look at the it on Amazon. Based on what they show there, here is the main difference that I see. TAWBKL appears to take a particular element or principal and list good children's books that you can use to demonstrate that subject matter.

ATCL, on the other hand, takes each Caldecott book, and crafts three different art lessons around the illustrations contained in that book. So, for example, when we used the book, Abraham Lincoln, we learned about shading, framing and color mixing. One of those lessons used regular pencil, and the other two used colored pencils. It seems to me that in ATCL, the books are a much more integral part of the lessons.

However, ATCL does not include lessons on artistic styles (impressionism, surrealism, etc.) like TAWBKL does.

It appears to me that there is a substantial amount of overlap between the two books. I would have a hard time using TAWBKL, because I would struggle with knowing how to use the books that are recommended. ATCL tells exactly which book and page to turn to in order to teach the lesson. OTOH, I really like the idea of teaching the different artistic styles. But my dd is only 5yo, and not very artsy, so I don't think that is a concern for us right now.

Does that help?

Singapore Art (they only have PK and K) also isolates the elements and has the kids do a project after a brief intro/ lesson. Then they add to each with subsequent books (although we did not get all the K books).

I like the book you linked and given your description I think I will try to get that for next year. I want to use Drawing With Children but I know my son likes working on various projects and I like the fact that it ties Art with the Caldecott books. Did you buy all the books to use with it or do you just use the library for the ones you don't already have? I think this solution (while we slowly work through DWC) will be a much better fit for my son than doing AP K-3 Book 2, so I am seriously considering going that route for next year :).

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread :). I wasn't even considering any changes in my Art plan for next year until now.

ETA: Rainbow carries the book also :hurray:! It's looking more and more like a plan now.

Edited by Guest

Did you buy all the books to use with it or do you just use the library for the ones you don't already have?

I did not buy any books. We have a pretty good ILL system. And I would imagine that most libraries keep a good number of Caldecott books. Keep in mind that there are about 80 of them, so with 3 lessons per book, it won't matter if you are missing some.

I am starting to collect quite a few curricula that use picture storybooks to teach everything from the art elements to literary devices to writing and anything else I can find. My library almost always has EVERY book listed.

It's cheap and easy to go online, find the whole list available and just hit "hold".

Susan Hall's 4 books are written for teaching older students literary devices and she also lists info about art and other subjects. Susan Hall and Teaching Art... got me hooked on picture storybooks for adult self-education. Learning to write about literary tone is considered one of the most difficult things to learn for the AP English Exam, and Susan Hall devotes a good chunk of each book to this device. I'm not planning on taking the AP, but I do want to learn to write a good "4 Sentence Precis".

Tracy, thank you so much for the review! I want that book!

I did not buy any books. We have a pretty good ILL system. And I would imagine that most libraries keep a good number of Caldecott books. Keep in mind that there are about 80 of them, so with 3 lessons per book, it won't matter if you are missing some.

Thank you. We have a good ILL system also and the Award winning books are well represented so I doubt we will have a problem. I quickly glanced through the titles and did see a few that we already have.

I did notice the loooog... list of titles and was thinking the same thing. Plenty to choose from :).

Another quick question, I didn't notice the age group. Is it indicated anywhere on the book? The book that Hunter linked is recommended for grades 3-6 from the publisher (on Amazon) so I was thinking of maybe getting that for the following year and then going back for a year of AP after that. I am just wondering now if Adrian likes ATCL and given the amount of projects available if we might just keep going with it for two years. Or is it more geared towards younger kids? Judging by the few sample pages that I saw I don't think so, right?

It's OK Tracy. Duh! I just though to look back at the Rainbow Resource site. They usually have age and grade ranges for their products. They say ages 5-11 and grades K-6 so we are fine :). Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Guest