Menu

Protein for breakfast- help!

I would like to get more protein in my kids for breakfast but my kids do not tolerate dairy or eggs (or oatmeal). I'm not really sure what other good options there are for breakfast (I don't want to be cooking a great big meal every morning). I'm okay with doing meat once in a while but could use some good ideas.

I'm sure you fine ladies and gents here can help me. :)

We like frozen chicken patties, chicken and noodles, turkey sandwiches, pot pie, vegan french toast, frozen waffles or tortillas with sun butter, vegan pumpkin pie, apples with peanut butter, refried beans (or homemade mashed pinto beans) and spanish rice, guacamole, and "Wakey Shakey" (5 oz. soy milk, 1 T. peanut butter, half a banana per person). Oh, not all at the same time. :tongue_smilie:

This time of year we eat soup every morning for breakfast. I cut it up (already cooked chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, rice sometimes) and put it all together in the pot the night before and refrigerate it, so when we wake up I toss it on the stove and breakfast is ready in 30 minutes with no prep from me. Easy!

Quinoa is high protein. Quinoa flakes are ready in 2 minutes and can be treated like oatmeal.

Can they not have eggs or do they just not like them? I've found that I can double the number of eggs in just about any breakfast-style recipe without any difference in flavor and that comes pretty close to doubling the amount of protein. I also use nonfat dry milk powder in any recipe that calls for milk and I generally use equal amounts of powder and water (instead of 1/3 cup of powder to 1 cup of water for 1 cup of milk, I use 1 cup powder and 1 cup water). That also helps to boost the protein content.

I like America's Test Kitchen crepe recipe, but I double the number of eggs and my extremely picky dd still loves them. I can get two whole eggs into her this way.

I would like to get more protein in my kids for breakfast but my kids do not tolerate dairy or eggs (or oatmeal). I'm not really sure what other good options there are for breakfast (I don't want to be cooking a great big meal every morning). I'm okay with doing meat once in a while but could use some good ideas.

I'm sure you fine ladies and gents here can help me. :)

I was going to write something up, but I am sure we did this coversation and I suggested forgetting about traditional breakfast food. Eat the meat, vary the meat. That's fine for breakfast. Almond butter? Avocado? I know I am repeating myself. :lol: Are your kids allergic to all dairy? Can they do fermented? Yogurt? What about fermented soy? When is the last time the kids were tested? They might not still be allergic to so much. A lot of allergies, especially egg allergies, are outgrown.

Edited by LibraryLover

We eat beans in some form and flatbreads. If you soak the beans overnight, they take about as long to cook as the flatbreads do. You can make the dough up the night before and just leave it on the bench. If you make enough, you can have the same for lunch.

Rosie

Hey Rosie, would you happen to have a recipe for flatbread? I don't have a griddle--can I do it in a large frying pan? Or is it an oven thingy? (showing my ignorance, as usual! :D)

Make wheat berries the following way:

Pour 1 c. wheat berries into thermos/ add 2 c. boiling water/seal tightly and leave it out overnight. [good to know that you can use wheat berries without a grinder or even having to cook them - they can be used in many different recipes this way].

In the morning the wheat berries will be plump (and still warm). Pour some wheat berries in a little bowl, add a couple of Tbsp plain Greek yogurt and a spoonful of jam on top.

This is pretty filling but if the wheat portion is small you could add a side dish of fried egg, wheat toast, bacon, chopped fruit, etc.

Hey Rosie, would you happen to have a recipe for flatbread? I don't have a griddle--can I do it in a large frying pan? Or is it an oven thingy? (showing my ignorance, as usual! :D)

What's a griddle? I thought that was a frying pan? :confused::lol:

It's just flour and water, perhaps a bit of oil, depending on what flours you use. I haven't figured out what flours require it and which don't yet. Some can be cooked in a dry pan, some require oil spray.

Basically, you mix flour and water together and make sure it isn't too dry or too wet. You'll know if it is either. If you're using low or no gluten flours, don't overwork it. I usually use a tortilla press but dh prefers to roll them out on the bench. I don't use oil spray when I'm cooking corn tortillas. Dh does use it for the wheat breads but I don't know if he needs to or if he just does it.

We never liked Quinoa

It's not that exciting, is it? I cook it in with red lentils for a bit more flavour.

Rosie

Seconding Rosie's suggestion of beans. You could also make a breakfast burrito...just a little crumbled sausage for flavor, mixed with pinto beans or black beans, top with a little salsa or whatever topping the child likes...I've got one that always wants pasta sauce...and then roll up in a tortilla, pita shell, etc.

This really fills my kids up. If I make a carb breakfast (waffles at their request) they eat it with peanut butter melted on top and one likes chopped cashews or pecans as well.

Faith

Ds makes his own smoothies with protein powder. I buy the best quality protein powder I can, which is this one : sunwarrior.com

Cottage cheese is another thing that is very high in protein and can be added to foods to raise their protein levels.