Menu

My canine friend of 11 years needs to go to the vet for his last visit

If you have a vet that you trust, put a lot of faith in what he/she tells you is best for your beloved dog. If keeping your dog longer will cause him more pain, the vet will let you know. We struggled with this with our first dog that we had for 15 years. Fortunately our vet let us know that although she was senile and having trouble getting up and down it wasn't time that we had to make that decision if we didn't want to. We didn't and she went in her sleep before it did get to that point. Ask him/her what the options and ramifications are and let the vet lead you through that decision. It won't take away the loss but it will help with the load of the decision.

I did have to remind myself frequently of the old corny but true cliche that it was better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is. I absolutely LOVE my animals like my own kids. I had to put down my yellow lab as dh was at work, and it was so hard. I still have that vision. But ultimately, it was an act of love to let her go.

I have a 14 year old toe licker, lap layer, follow me arounder, most loyal little love I can imagine. When I get ready I can see how sad she is because she knows I will be gone. If dh or dd11 are home, she follows them until I get back.

She also has a bad heart and I thought I was going to have to put her down a couple of weeks ago. She seems better now, but I know I don't have a lot of time left with her. I will be devastated without her. I love her SO MUCH!!!

I'm so sorry for you. I'm just so sorry!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. I hate hate hate this part of having beloved pets.

:iagree:It is the hardest part by far. You get them house broke after you think it is never going to happen and possibly you hate this animal and then, suddenly they are old and.......

I truly am so sorry.:grouphug:

If you have a vet that you trust, put a lot of faith in what he/she tells you is best for your beloved dog. If keeping your dog longer will cause him more pain, the vet will let you know. We struggled with this with our first dog that we had for 15 years. Fortunately our vet let us know that although she was senile and having trouble getting up and down it wasn't time that we had to make that decision if we didn't want to. We didn't and she went in her sleep before it did get to that point. Ask him/her what the options and ramifications are and let the vet lead you through that decision. It won't take away the loss but it will help with the load of the decision.

I did have to remind myself frequently of the old corny but true cliche that it was better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

He talked with me a year ago about how Sam's time was short. His heart was really bad and he was occasionally "honking." I asked him when I'd know it was time and he said the frequency and occurances during inactivity. It's time. I know it. DH called and made the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Dh said I can say my goodbyes at home. I don't have to go. The vet has been waiting for our call and it was no surprise for anyone.

I just saw your post - I am so sorry. I'm crying as I read all the responses. Almost 9 yrs ago, I had to let my sweet kitty of 12 yrs go. I was with her, and I still remember it vividly. I cried nonstop for days, and then continued to cry daily for the first year, at least. I still think about her often. It's so hard to lose a pet.

I'll be praying for you as you say goodbye to your loyal companion tomorrow.

Veronica

I lost 3 dear dogs in just over the last year. I still mourn for them-especially the Dalmatian that was my velcro dog-Boone. I have been where you are and it is never easy.

Some advice, Take lots of l tissues. Call the vet before and make arrangements for payment...so you don't have to stop at the desk after or even speak to the staff while there-I never can and I consider them friends. Cry as much as you need. If it is a vet that does large animal medicine-they may be willing to come to your house for a "farm call" fee. I used to be a vet tech-they will understand.

In case anyone hasn't already mentioned this, I would go with your beloved dog. It will make things easier for him.

I agree.

We had to do this 5 years ago with our then-14 year old lab.

My hubby and I went together, and both cried together. He was our first baby. I wouldn't have wanted my hubby to do that alone.

The vet was very understanding and left us alone with Jake for as long as we wanted afterwards. They said not to worry about payment. Just come back in a few days when we were up to it and settle the bill. The office also sent us a nice condolence card in the mail with a beautiful poem inside. They also took Jake's footprints and gave them to us to keep.

I'm so sorry! :crying:

In case anyone hasn't already mentioned this, I would go with your beloved dog. It will make things easier for him.

My nine year old (at the time) insisted on going to the vet with me to say goodbye to our doggie. He literally chased the car down the driveway.

I still tell him he is bravest boy and that he did every thing he could do for Ginger until the very end.

He talked with me a year ago about how Sam's time was short. His heart was really bad and he was occasionally "honking." I asked him when I'd know it was time and he said the frequency and occurances during inactivity. It's time. I know it. DH called and made the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Dh said I can say my goodbyes at home. I don't have to go. The vet has been waiting for our call and it was no surprise for anyone.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:

You'll be in my thoughts!

Yes, I agree. There is a note in his file to let me hold him for procedures as he bit the vet tech. eons ago. I know I have to go.

He didn't greet me this morning

Yes, I agree. There is a note in his file to let me hold him for procedures as he bit the vet tech. eons ago. I know I have to go.

:grouphug: We lost two pets last year, and we both know our old kitty boy isn't long for this world. It's one of the hardest things in the world. Praying for you today.

:grouphug:

I"m so sorry. We went through this with my beloved girl Liddy, and I have to say I put it off and put it off. Her problem was cancer. I sobbed for days with my children. When I finally mustered the courage to go, I held her in the back of our suburban while my husband drove. She died on the way there as I was holding her.

I will pray for you for courage today. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry. I will be thinking of you today. I had to take in my beloved Sammy, my 14-year-old cat over the summer. He was so ill and finally, he let me know it was time. Before I met dh, it was just me and Sammy and that is the way it ended for him. I miss him all the time. Explaining it to the girls was hard but I told them that he had been a wonderful friend to me for so long that now, it was my turn to be a friend to him and help him when he needed me most. :grouphug:

I'm glad that you'll be there for him. It's a terribly hard thing, but in the end, I think you might regret it if you're not. Prayers for all of you today.

Veronica

Just checking in to see how you're doing. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Cat

Thanks for checking on me. It was a rough afternoon. Dh cried. My youngest ds is wondering out loud constantly about doggie heaven and if God knows how to care for our beloved Sammy dog. Oldest dds have studied anatomy all year and are wanting gory details and discussing the respiratory system. Littlest dd thinks I left the dog at the vet and he'll come home tomorrow.

Saddest of all is how our doggie girl, Gypsy, is visiting all Sam's spots in the house repeatedly. She's looking for him.

We have appointments tomorrow at the local shelter and Sunday to meet a prospective doggie boy companions for her. It's really soon for me and I might just cry when we get there. But it might be the best for the rest of the family. Not another pomeranian, but bichon mixes.

Sammy was a good little pomeranian boy who's time came too soon. I miss his snoring behind the toilet tonight. I miss his supervision in my kitchen tonight. I missed his barking when I got home. He was a dear. I've run out of tears.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

We waited for a few months before going to the shelter to look for another dog after we lost Jake.

My kids ended up falling in love with TWO litter mates, so we now have 2 dogs who will be 5 years old this spring.

They couldn't replace Jake, but they are great dogs in their own right, and they have helped to liven the place up. It was way too quiet without our canine companion.

Thinking of you today.

Thanks for checking on me. It was a rough afternoon. Dh cried. My youngest ds is wondering out loud constantly about doggie heaven and if God knows how to care for our beloved Sammy dog. Oldest dds have studied anatomy all year and are wanting gory details and discussing the respiratory system. Littlest dd thinks I left the dog at the vet and he'll come home tomorrow.

Saddest of all is how our doggie girl, Gypsy, is visiting all Sam's spots in the house repeatedly. She's looking for him.

We have appointments tomorrow at the local shelter and Sunday to meet a prospective doggie boy companions for her. It's really soon for me and I might just cry when we get there. But it might be the best for the rest of the family. Not another pomeranian, but bichon mixes.

Sammy was a good little pomeranian boy who's time came too soon. I miss his snoring behind the toilet tonight. I miss his supervision in my kitchen tonight. I missed his barking when I got home. He was a dear. I've run out of tears.

No words, just :grouphug:

I've been following this thread with tears knowing my time with beloved little guy is growing shorter, he's 13 1/2. Now that I read Sammy was a pom I'm bawling. You can see my little guy in my avatar. He snores like crazy too. I can't bear the thought of him being gone.

I'm so sorry for you. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Your little blondie is adorable. Poms are just the best friends. :001_smile:

I'm so sorry for your loss!

We waited for a few months before going to the shelter to look for another dog after we lost Jake.

My kids ended up falling in love with TWO litter mates, so we now have 2 dogs who will be 5 years old this spring.

They couldn't replace Jake, but they are great dogs in their own right, and they have helped to liven the place up. It was way too quiet without our canine companion.

Thinking of you today.

Everyone in the family has commented on how much more quiet things have become.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We had Pomeraneans for many years, and the last one passed away a few days before my dad died. (I swear that dog knew my dad was dying. He knew everything before it happened!) They were such great and devoted little dogs.

You might want to consider a Sheltie. I miss mine so much! They are super-dedicated to their families, like Poms, but are also sturdy enough to run around with the kids, catch balls and Frisbees, etc. They will also keep your kids in the yard if you show them the boundaries. (The herding thing is so cool!) They are incredibly smart -- my Sheltie "housebroke herself" within a day, once I showed her that she was supposed to go outside.

Cat