Menu

Any tips before I embark on my homemade laundry and dishwasher det making adventure?

I have been reading and researching for a while now about homemade laundry detergent. (I even searched through old threads here).

I realize there are mixed reviews out there...but I need to at least try it. I *think* I'm going with the dry version of both. I already have the borax, fels naptha (although I may try Zote instead). I just need to get some washing soda.

I also have citric acid for my dishwasher detergent (I just need to find it :confused: )

Any last minute tips/suggestions? We have hard water and a front loader (keeping with our family's true form of doing things the hard way :001_huh: )

I am determined to bring down our monthly expenses. We spend way too much money on household stuff. This is my first step (any frugal tips not related to laundry soap making are always appreciated :) )

Thanks! I will definitely keep the thread updated on how it goes :) I'm pretty picky about my detergents too so I'll be honest ;)

I love my Gain so it will be hard to give up that great smell....but I still plan on using the Gain dryer sheets so hopefully I can still get the benefit of the clean laundry smell in my house :)

I just made the laundry detergent last week. I'd done the "wet" version in the past, but not the dry. The dry is much easier! I love it! The worst part is grating the soap. For some reason, the smell really gets to me.

I'm planning to try the dishwashing detergent next. I still have quite a bit of boxed stuff left to use first, though. Where did you get your citric acid? I'm thinking I'll have to order it.

I made my own for a year or two. I did the dry version. Fels is a pretty hard soap. I found it easiest to grate it in the food processor (the one that gives long strips) and then dump it out and but the blade in (the 2 arm that spin on the bottom) and run it through again to make small pieces. Add the borax and washing soda directly to the food processor and pulse a few times.

I will tell you that long term it didn't save me any money. I had to use 2-3 heaping tablespoons to get things reasonably clean. Over times the whites turned yellow (because you don't have the optical brighteners) and it didn't work well for getting stains out. I ended up buying oxyclean (which is isn't cheap) and spraying down a lot of my kids clothes to get the stains out.

However, in the process I learned that I could vary the amounts for different results (sorry but this never occurred to me before and I always used exactly the manufacturers amount which of course got expensive).

Now I buy Tide powder (sometimes HE and sometimes not- just whatever I find on sale) and I use 1 rounded teaspoon per load. My whites are white again, my clothes are very clean and I seldom have to pre-treat. I can get a box on sale for around 10.00 and it lasts 8-10 months for us (and we do an average of 6-8 loads a week in our front loader).

So in the end this turned out to be a better way for us. However, I shared the recipe I used for the powdered stuff with a friend and she absolutely loves it and has used it for several years now. She did say she always uses bleach in her whites (and did with commercial products too) so she doesn't have the yellowing problem I had.

Good luck and hopefully it works for you.

My husband and I watched the Dugger family on 18 kids and counting do this. We were shocked by how much they were paying for laundry soap before they started making their own. It was like $60 for 150 loads, or something close to that. We buy ours at Sams, it it's $14 for 110 loads. I don't understand why they don't buy in bulk, it saves so much money! We do almost ALL our shopping at Sams, one month's worth of food at a time. There IS room for all the tp in my linen closet, and even though we live in a 990 sq ft townhouse, we still can make it work. We have compared prices around town, per unit it is cheaper, and well worth the $40/year. Planning meals with basic ingredients, and not buying a lot of extra fresh ingredients has us at around $250-$300/month for food and household items. That number doesn't include the diapers and wipes. We get 126 size 4 for $35! I've seen the grocery store prices for diapers. Why would anyone pay that?

(You did say you wanted other money saving tips...)

We used homemade laundry detergent (wet) for almost a year and we LOVED it. Then we had DS and discovered that his skin is even more sensitive than mine. He didn't have any reaction to laundry detergent made with homemade soap (nothing but lard, lye, water, and essential oils), but I can't really afford to make or buy homemade soap right now. So for now I use a little of Tide Free on our clothes with a TBSP or so of a borax-washing soda - oxyclean mixture (1:1:1). DS's clothes just get a couple TBSP of the dry mixture. It works, moderately, but we're excited for the day when I can start making soaps and then detergent (yay for cleaner clothes that actually smell pretty!).

Oh, FWIW, we didn't use Fels or Zote when we made our homemade stuff. We just used a bar of Dove Sensitive Skin that we had on hand!

Your results are going to depend on how dirty your clothes, and your water. For some of our clothes store bought detergent still works way better.

Grating the soap is a very long monotonous process. No matter how you do it. Fels Naptha is hard. I usually use Zote. It is a bit cheaper, pink, and has a different fragrance that I like. It is also softer and melts easier in my water than Fels. With Fels I was occassionally finding yellow spots where it didn't dissolve fast enough. I have never had that problem with the Zote. I can find Zote here are most any Latino market or at Big Lots for around $1 a bar. 1 bar makes the same amount as 1 Fels Naptha bar.

I now just use a hand grater over a big 5 gallon bucket. My food processor died so this has been my old fashioned method. Once the soap is grated I will run it thru the blender to make it a finer consistency before mixing.

Because I use Zote and it is a softer soap, I have found that taking 2 days helps. I grate the soap and then spread it out on cardboard trays to dry out more for a night or so. When the little pieces are drier they break down easier in the blender. When they are not so dry they can clump back together when blending,and sometimes in my container. Since I only do this whole process about once every 3 month now I can avoid hot humid days. In the winter I don't have to let it dry out. I didn't do this when I used Fels.

I also mix all my ingredients in that same bucket with a long spoon. Sometimes I add a little of each in at a time so it is easier to make a even mix. When I am finished my bucket (used only for detergent making) is put away.

I made the powdered dishwasher detergent that was mixed in with a box of regular dish detergent. The other recipes just didn't work for me. I liked it at first but over time we noticed that our dishes were just not as clean. I had the dishwasher serviced (lines cleaned and all that) and the dishes were just blah. Then, despite all we tried to prevent it, my glasses started being etched. My glasses are not cheapies and I didn't want to buy more or live with cloudy glasses. So I went back to regular dishwasher detergent. Someday I might try it all again, but I doubt it.

I found that making detergent was not worth the time, hassle or headache. My time is valuable and I always consider that when doing things like this. The cheapest commercial detergent in the store was less expensive when calculating ingredients, work involved and time, and it works just fine.

Now if one is doing this for green reasons or health reasons then one has to do what one has to do.

Why would anyone pay that?

(You did say you wanted other money saving tips...)

Not everyone has easy access to Sams or Costco.

I just made the laundry detergent last week. I'd done the "wet" version in the past, but not the dry. The dry is much easier! I love it! The worst part is grating the soap. For some reason, the smell really gets to me.

I'm planning to try the dishwashing detergent next. I still have quite a bit of boxed stuff left to use first, though. Where did you get your citric acid? I'm thinking I'll have to order it.

I bought it at our local vitamin store....The owner recommended it for gallstones. I was amazed at how cheap it was but now I can't find the bottle :glare:

I wound up buying 8 packets of lemon kool aid (the one you add sugar to). It's supposedly mostly citric acid in it anyway....plus we have the benefit of the lemon scent :)

I just found the citric acid. The brand is NOW Healthy Foods and it was $3.99 for 4 ozs

Edited by mykdsmomy
found it!

You can get citric acid from Frontier Co-op online. You don't have to be a member or anything. I buy it by the pound (or buy a few bags at a time to offset shipping). A pound bag lasts a long time!

My dishwasher detergent recipe:

2 parts Washing soda (NOT baking soda, they are different)

2 parts Borax

1 part citric acid

1 part Kosher salt

Put in a container and shake. The citric acid will make it become hard. I got a brown sugar bear from Bed Bath and Beyond to help (or maybe I could get them into those convenient little rectangles the commercial companies shape them into). I use a tablespoon per load. It doesn't get the dried stuck on food off, so I pre-rinse things that I know will become cemented on a dish.

It has helped us save money, yes, even the slight bit of extra water to rinse the few things that need to be rinsed.

I have made homemade laundry detergent as well. It works, but my whites faded. I was going to start using Oxiclean (well, the cheap-o version that Wal-Mart sells for like $2), but I am due in May and we cloth diaper. The soap in the laundry detergent will make the diapers repel, so I just bought some Country Save (which if we like it will be super cheap from the Subscribe and Save option from Amazon).

I have been using homemade laundry det (wet) for 6 months or so. It has worked fine and was definitely a deal and it didn't take that long. I made a double bath and have at least half left. It was only a few dollars for the whole batch and will end up lasting a year or more. I do have some dinginess but I used some All Free and Clear before so had some dinginess from that as well.

I haven't done the dishwasher soap yet, but it is on the list to try.

It seems like the liquid recipe is more frugal than the dry. I think I'm going to get a bucket today and do the liquid. I grated my fels naptha bar and have all the ingredients except the washing soda. Ace Hardware was out of it (the only place around here that carries it). They are getting a shipment this afternoon so I'm going back in a bit :)

You can get citric acid from Frontier Co-op online. You don't have to be a member or anything. I buy it by the pound (or buy a few bags at a time to offset shipping). A pound bag lasts a long time!

My dishwasher detergent recipe:

2 parts Washing soda (NOT baking soda, they are different)

2 parts Borax

1 part citric acid

1 part Kosher salt

Put in a container and shake. The citric acid will make it become hard. I got a brown sugar bear from Bed Bath and Beyond to help (or maybe I could get them into those convenient little rectangles the commercial companies shape them into). I use a tablespoon per load. It doesn't get the dried stuck on food off, so I pre-rinse things that I know will become cemented on a dish.

It has helped us save money, yes, even the slight bit of extra water to rinse the few things that need to be rinsed.

I have made homemade laundry detergent as well. It works, but my whites faded. I was going to start using Oxiclean (well, the cheap-o version that Wal-Mart sells for like $2), but I am due in May and we cloth diaper. The soap in the laundry detergent will make the diapers repel, so I just bought some Country Save (which if we like it will be super cheap from the Subscribe and Save option from Amazon).

Is Country Save natural? I am getting ready to cloth diaper too.

Also.....does anyone know if u can use a natural bar of soap for the laundry soap? Like instead of Fels or Ivory?

I make the wet version

but when I grate the soap. I try to do several bars or at least several things so that I have about 3-4 baggies read to go at one time.

I have been making my laundry detergent for several years. I use the recipe from the Duggar's family blog and have found it to work well and be very economical.

I also make my own dishwasher detergent with equal parts washing soda and borax, add in some citric acid and kosher salt. I have to rinse the dishes, but it works fine. I also put vinegar in the rinse.

Another maker of the Duggar family laundry detergent. I have been making it for over a year and love it. I do not add the scented oils because the fragrance of the Fels Naptha soap is so CLEAN and pleasant. :001_smile: I find that it takes me about 45 mins. total time to make and it lasts for several months, therefore, it is SO worth the time and effort. Plus, it makes me feel good that I am doing this for my family AND saving a TON of money!

Good luck!

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GRATE THE SOAP!!!

I put my fels naptha bars in a thick glass 4 cup measuring cup and microwave it on high for a couple minutes. It oozes up and melts a bit. I let it cool for ten minutes or so and then chunk it up with a fork. Then I microwave it again for a couple minutes and repeat once or twice. Finally, I let it cool completely and smoosh it up by hand into a fine grained powder. NO GRATING!!!

Also.....does anyone know if u can use a natural bar of soap for the laundry soap? Like instead of Fels or Ivory?

Country Save is natural and rinses very clean. We use it for everything, including diapers and love it. I do add some Oxiclean Free (the powder one without the dyes or fragrances) and it gets everything clean. :)

Sorry Judy to interrupt! :D

NO ZOTE!!

It has optical brighteners in it.

OPTICAL BRIGHTENER

ZOTE soap contains an optical brightener which bleaches clothes without fading their color. Optical brighteners are the compounds providing clothes with brightness. Their function is to absorb light with certain wave lengths in the washed garments and thus reflecting a visible blue; its work is most noticeable in white clothes.

And there's this

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/blog/optical-illusion-clean-clothes

The Environmental Afterlife of an Optical Brightener

But there is more of a story here than seeing white that isn't really there. The waste matter from clothes that are washed with a laundry detergent containing optical brighteners enters the sewer system. The particles that aren't removed during the water treatment process enter our lakes and streams (4, 5). While some degrade in sunlight, those that do not have direct sun exposure pollute the water as they do not biodegrade (4-6). In addition, optical brighteners can be toxic to some algae and small fish and can also bioaccumulate in larger fish (7-9). That process looks something like this:

optical1_1.jpg

Optical Brighteners and You

When optical brighteners are deposited onto clothing they come into contact with skin. A microclimate is created between fabric and your skin (10). When you perspire, the moisture in the fabric releases optical brighteners and deposits them onto the skin. Because sunlight breaks down optical brighteners, this degradation process can happen on the skin when exposed to sunlight and result in phototoxic skin irritation and in some cases photoallergy (11, 12). Although this is not a common occurrence, it has been reported in medical literature and consumers with sensitive skin may be more susceptible (10).

Felsnaptha does NOT contain Napthalene anymore, BUT it does have fragrances and dyes in it.

I've used wet detergent made by a friend, and I made dry detergent twice--once with Fels and once with Zote. I didn't care for the scent of either one, but especially the Zote. I had to stop grating it a few times because it gave me headaches. The dry detergent left a scummy residue in our washers (which are less than a year old, good brand, and work very well--iow, not the washer's fault). I used the Tide washer cleaner to remedy that, which wasn't cheap so negated the savings of homemade detergent.

We also started get the itchies from our clothes. I didn't realize how bad it was until I stopped because I wanted to try out Dropps (laundry detergent packets) that I'd gotten for a great price. As soon as I started using the Dropps, all itching issues went away. My DH does have skin sensitivities, but I have never had any until I used homemade detergent.

I have some purchased detergent that I need to use up, then I'm going to try my hand at homemade again. But this time I want to try using local-made goat's milk soap in place of the Fels. I also might do the liquid to attempt to keep residue from building up inside the washer.

None of this addresses frugality, other than to say sometimes homemade isn't the overall most frugal choice. You have to take into account other factors, such as how much time it takes, does it suit your family, do you have the equipment to make it, do you have room to store it, is it harming your washer or clothes, can you use coupons in conjunction with sales or buy in bulk (Sam's or Costco) to get a similar reduction in detergent costs? In our case homemade wasn't financially the best choice. I'm going to try again, only because I would like to use a more natural product.

Editing to add: My favorite household goods frugal tip is to use less paper products. We try to use cloth napkins and towels as much as possible.

Edited by meena

I put my fels naptha bars in a thick glass 4 cup measuring cup and microwave it on high for a couple minutes. It oozes up and melts a bit. I let it cool for ten minutes or so and then chunk it up with a fork. Then I microwave it again for a couple minutes and repeat once or twice. Finally, I let it cool completely and smoosh it up by hand into a fine grained powder. NO GRATING!!!

Do you think this might work with other, softer soaps - like Ivory or Jergen's Pure and Natural? I don't have a food processor...

I do want to try making detergent, because we have people in the house with sensitive skin and noses :) and so I'm always buying "free and clear" - type detergent and softener. They get expensive, although Arm & Hammer has one now.

I've been making liquid laundry soap (instigated by Duggars but used a recipe on the web slightly different). I was so happy for a few weeks until I noticed whites were looking DIRTY!!! I laughed b/c I remembered as a kid hearing laundry commercials on tv for whiter and brigher clothes, and I just didn't get what the fuss was about. Now I realize some brands do pump up their products so that we love them so much!

I did make another batch, but I snuck in half cups more of borax and washing soda. I figured, why not. I have a front loader. I will be sure to add some oxi or bleach from now on to our whites just to help with the dinginess. I wonder... are the clothes still getting clean?

Country SAve lists their ingredients and it washes/rinses out completely. You can do a google search or try looking on Diaperswappers.com under the Diaper Chatter Q & A. You can search there as well. The deal on Amazon makes it REALLY a no-brainer for us at least.

Oh...taking notes!

Country SAve lists their ingredients and it washes/rinses out completely. You can do a google search or try looking on Diaperswappers.com under the Diaper Chatter Q & A. You can search there as well. The deal on Amazon makes it REALLY a no-brainer for us at least.

I will check that out. :)