Menu

Vacuum grave yard. . . Please help!! Best vacuum for pet-lover home?

Please advise. I am desperate.

We kill a vacuum every year. I don't really mind buying a new cheap one every year, but it seems ridiculous.

Our home: mix of smooth & carpeted flooring, carpeted stairs. 4 dogs, 4 cats, 5 people. Lots of dirt & hair!

I loved our Electrolux canister but I wasn't happy to have a $1000 vacuum die after 4 years, so I retired it to the basement where its partial remaining abilities are still useful.

We killed the Dyson Animal in a year.

We've killed $100-$200 Walmart/Target/Sam's vacuums annually since then.

I think I have 5 partially functioning vacuums in this house right now, all killed or maimed in the last 5 years.

My ideal vacuum would have a good power head for stairs as well as good overall power. I don't really care much about weight, power drive, etc. Just give me great cleaning & ideally lasting more than a year.

I love the canister for smooth floors, but am OK with an upright if needed.

If you have a vacuum that you've owned more than a year and LOVE it, PLEASE advise me!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain! I have had the same trouble frequently. We have had the Shark Navigator from Costco - like only $138.00 for over a year and it still works amazingly - like day one. It has SHOCKED me!!! I became a vacuum skeptic and stopped spending a bunch of money on them cuz they always died. This seemed like a reasonable amount and it works awesome.

I have 3 boys - 2 dogs and 2 cats. Not sure which is worse the animals or the pets, but it works for both.

I will say the clip to wind the cord broke very quickly, so that's a pain, but I'll take it cuz it's still working and is light and sucks!!!! YKWIM...:tongue_smilie:

Well, I have a Bissell pet hair vacuum that will probably die in a year or two. It's about 2 years old now. It's not my favorite but it was affordable at the time.

My mom had a Kirby. You can't kill a Kirby, but they are so heavy and a pain to keep clean (at least they used to be). They're also very expensive. But it will probably last. My mother's Kirby was 50 years old when she passed away. It was used in 7 different houses, with 2 kids, and numerous cats and dogs over the years. Her vacuum cleaner outlived her.

We have had good luck with Hoover Wind Tunnels. Two in ten years. However when they were still new, DH has had to repair them. He has had to replace some of the plastic parts they came with with metal ones he ordered from a vacuum repair website. I think it was the gears for the brush. But once he repairs them with better parts, they never break again. The second one is on its last legs because the on/off switch no longer works - it is just always on - and the motor seems to be drawing too much current, so it's time for a new one again. But with three dogs, one a very hairy Belgian Tervuren, five years is pretty good for a moderately priced vacuum. Ours have the option to use bagless, and this is what we do. We also have the "Multi-Surface Brush Roll Control" to use it on our hard floors.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I feel your pain! I have had the same trouble frequently. We have had the Shark Navigator from Costco - like only $138.00 for over a year and it still works amazingly - like day one. It has SHOCKED me!!! .

I will say the clip to wind the cord broke very quickly, so that's a pain, but I'll take it cuz it's still working and is light and sucks!!!! YKWIM...:tongue_smilie:

Wow, we can't stand our Shark Navigator! The clip broke before we even got to use it, but that would have been ok, except that every time we use and you turn it off, everything falls out of the bottom of it back onto the floor.

We have a lot of gravel-like rocks that get in the house, but they are pretty small and I would have expected them to be sucked up. The just circulate until we turn it off then they all fall out the bottom. We still use it but grumble every time. Cause that's so much more effective than buying another!:001_unsure:

The most reliable vacuum I've ever had was a Royal. It was no frills/no attachments and mostly metal (kind of retro looking) and my husband didn't care for it, so I sold it. I wish I hadn't because I have had problems with nearly every vacuum since (including a Miele), so I understand your frustration. My Sebo has been reliable so far, but I'm wondering if that's just lucky. I waffle between buying something "better" (but what??) and just sticking with the cheap ones and tossing them as needed.

I think maybe buying a much older used vacuum might hold promise; they seem to have been better made in the past.

Our Shark, Hoover, and Kirby died in less than a year ...:glare: (The Kirby was trouble right out of the box.)

We purchased a Kenmore canister about a year ago on Black Friday. It is THE best vacuum I've owned. I *love* it...it does all types of floor and has a nifty "knob" on the bottom that helps hold the canister when you're vacuuming stairs.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02028014000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Vacuums+%26+Floor+Care&sName=Canisters

I've had my Miele for about 9 years. We have carpet up, wood floors down, and carpeted stairs (only because we haven't got to the removing carpet item on our house to-do list). Four people, three cats, two of which shed with glee.

Kirby died in less than a year ...:glare: (The Kirby was trouble right out of the box.)

My mother's Kirby was old, so it could be the adage that they don't make things like they used to, is true.

We purchased a Kenmore canister about a year ago on Black Friday. It is THE best vacuum I've owned. I *love* it...it does all types of floor and has a nifty "knob" on the bottom that helps hold the canister when you're vacuuming stairs.
I've had 2 Kenmore canisters, each one lasting about 12 years. I decided I didn't want another canister after the last one (too hard on my back). I wish I hadn't made that choice. I miss my Kenmore canister.

I hated my Dyson, I don't buy their "doesn't clog/never loses suction" claim, it always seemed that there was dust in it if you looked up inside it when you take the dust cup off it was just caked up in there, and I hated having to empty it. My allergies were worse when we had it. We tried the Bissell pet hair one and it was ok, but still shot a lot of dust etc. back into the air.

My dh got me an Oreck XL for the holidays in 2009, and it's been great. It doesn't have attached tools, but he got me the more powerful little canister vac they sell and it's great as well. I've noticed that having bags seems to make a big difference in my allergy symptoms. It also came with a plan that has me take it in once a year for 10 years for a check up and they clean it all up, change the bag and make sure it's all working properly.

After going through a vacuum a year for many years, I went to a vacuum repair shop that also sold vacuums. I asked the shop owner which vacuum he recommended. It was a Simplicity upright. I purchased that vacuum. I have owned it for...I cannot remember...maybe 10 years now? I have replaced a couple of belts. It has been in for service (cleaning all the hoses and other parts) once. It is one awesome little vacuum.

I have 3 kids and one dog (low shedding). I've had my dyson for 5 years. I still love it. I've had to have it repaired by an authorized dealer once, because the dog thought the cord was a dangerous threat when I left it out. It always has great suction for me. I guess I'm glad it still works. Maybe I don't vacuum enough (this is probably true).

:iagree:

Miele Callisto.

We don't have pets but we did buy new wool carpets that shed like the dickens and my vacuum rocked.

Love my Miele! I also like that they sell individual replacement parts so when something does break you can actually get it fixed--like they sell the button on the hose if that's what's broken, for example, instead of you having to buy the entire hose and deciding it's so expensive you might as well buy a new one entirely