Menu

I think I want to start a hs pub business...

Maybe in a few yrs? I'm at the point where...I think I'm ready to actually learn what it would take, what I need to know/learn, but I don't know who to ask.

I'd be publishing curriculum & education theory. I could write the books & query them, but they'd have enough in common w/ ea other that it seems like it would make more sense to have streamlined "branding."

I really wish dh were a business guy that I could just say, "Please start a business for me," & he could just run w/ that. :lol:

As long as we're at it, I also wish there were about 48 hrs in a day, but the 2nd 24 were secret, so I could get stuff done w/out anybody finding me. :D

Maybe in a few yrs? I'm at the point where...I think I'm ready to actually learn what it would take, what I need to know/learn, but I don't know who to ask.

I'd be publishing curriculum & education theory. I could write the books & query them, but they'd have enough in common w/ ea other that it seems like it would make more sense to have streamlined "branding."

I really wish dh were a business guy that I could just say, "Please start a business for me," & he could just run w/ that. :lol:

As long as we're at it, I also wish there were about 48 hrs in a day, but the 2nd 24 were secret, so I could get stuff done w/out anybody finding me. :D

Sounds like something you'd enjoy.

I have to ask though - if we had and extra 24 hours does that mean I'd get an extra 8 hours to sleep. I really could get behind 16 hours of sleep.:D

Sounds like something you'd enjoy.

I have to ask though - if we had and extra 24 hours does that mean I'd get an extra 8 hours to sleep. I really could get behind 16 hours of sleep.:D

Gosh, no! Sleeping already wastes 1/3 of every day--if there were a prayer or a medication that could fix that, well, I'd be first in line. I *hate* sleeping. :tongue_smilie::lol:

From your subject line, I thought you wanted to start a homeschool PUB - a place where homeschoolers could meet, visit, drink, and eat. Could you do that too....? I really want to come to your pub this afternoon.

BTW- I'm with Parrothead - an extra 8 hours of sleep is a must. Or we can just hang out in your pub and sip whatever while you work on your actual publishing business.

From your subject line, I thought you wanted to start a homeschool PUB - a place where homeschoolers could meet, visit, drink, and eat. Could you do that too....? I really want to come to your pub this afternoon.

Right. AND, people are a little looserwith the cash once they've thrown a few back, so it could actually benefit your publishing business as well! Win-win-win!

:cheers2:

Guest RecumbentHeart
Gosh, no! Sleeping already wastes 1/3 of every day--if there were a prayer or a medication that could fix that, well, I'd be first in line. I *hate* sleeping. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I feel the same way, with the clarification: although since I need sleep, I do really like getting it, I just wish I didn't need it. :tongue_smilie:

I think I'm going to talk to DH about becoming "a business guy" .. He would like to start a business but he's not "a business guy" .. what would one need to be "a business guy"? A degree in business?

Oh! Publishing!

I thought you were going to open a pub that caters to homeschool moms.

;)

:cheers:

Make sure you have enough electrical outlets in your pub so we can all bring our laptops. That's sure to make for some fun threads.

Your publishing house could have a section in the pub. You could call it "The Publishing House" and so when our dh's asked we could just say we were going to the bookstore. :tongue_smilie:

I seriously think you'd be the perfect person to do this. :D

I feel the same way, with the clarification: although since I need sleep, I do really like getting it, I just wish I didn't need it. :tongue_smilie:

Right. Like, if we could achieve a high enough state of...I don't know, holiness, caffeine, whatever, we could be above the need. That would be awesome. :D

I think I'm going to talk to DH about becoming "a business guy" .. He would like to start a business but he's not "a business guy" .. what would one need to be "a business guy"? A degree in business?

You know, I'd imagine a Business degree wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if I'd run out & get one--I tend to think you can learn what you need to know w/ enough research & energy.

My dad, grand dad, & great-grand dad all owned their own businesses, & my dad had the highest ed of them all, w/ a highschool diploma. Yet over the years when I'd ask, none of them could tell me much of anything about starting a business. I think maybe it's too specific to the industry? Still, I'd think that they could tell me how to find out what I need to know. :001_huh:

In my case, though, I'd like dh to do all the research so I can spend my time writing & formatting. :D Ooooh, & maybe illustrating! From what I've read, that seems to be the way other hs publishers have started--one person in the family writes, somebody else takes care of the business.

Your publishing house could have a section in the pub. You could call it "The Publishing House" and so when our dh's asked we could just say we were going to the bookstore. :tongue_smilie:

I LOVE this idea, elegantlion. And I agree that Aubrey is totally the right person for this. Go for it Aubrey! :D

:cheers:

Make sure you have enough electrical outlets in your pub so we can all bring our laptops. That's sure to make for some fun threads.

I seriously think you'd be the perfect person to do this. :D

Ok, really, if I weren't so shy & didn't know someone who'd lost everything trying, I'd open a coffee shop for hs'ers where you could rent expensive ed games by the hour (or something like that), so you can at least try them w/out spending $50. Plus, you could meet up w/ friends to play (or your teens could) w/out cleaning or getting eaten out of house & home.

The coffee shop part I've thought about for years, but it's completely wrong for my personality. Maybe instead of renting the games, you'd just buy a membership, & then we'd have books, too. Wait. Would that be fees for a library? :svengo: ;) :lol:

There are just some days where I'd love to have a place to go & have other people around but not have to have the social pressure of "hostess." So owning that business wouldn't really solve my problem. :lol:

Guest RecumbentHeart
Right. Like, if we could achieve a high enough state of...I don't know, holiness, caffeine, whatever, we could be above the need. That would be awesome. :D

I have seriously considered praying about this -- think about it, the Proverbs 31 woman obviously slept little but got much done and people were speaking well of her rather than screaming over the fright she looked like due to lack of sleep (which they do when I try this in my own strength) so there must be something to it that is missing but attainable. I figure that firstly I need to be using the time I have already to the best of my ability which I'm not so I'm praying about that first and THEN I intend to pray for the grace to sleep less.

You know, I'd imagine a Business degree wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if I'd run out & get one--I tend to think you can learn what you need to know w/ enough research & energy.

I am going to talk to DH about him having the energy and drive to do the necessary research so I that I can continue to pursue my own non-business related education -- unless we solve that sleep problem in which case I'll take on the business self education as well gladly. :D

Guest RecumbentHeart

There are just some days where I'd love to have a place to go & have other people around but not have to have the social pressure of "hostess." So owning that business wouldn't really solve my problem. :lol:

As owner you could employ hosts/hostesses and you could just come out when you felt like it to be waited on with "free" drinks (since you own the place and have already paid for the stuff to be there).

Isn't that what owning a pub/coffee house is about?

I think we just need a wealthy person to buy a house, decorate it like a comfy coffee shop, we could bring our books, there would be books there for sale, some just there to live. A few hammock by the back door and a stash of light sabers for dc or adults. Yeah, if we ever won the lottery.

This could be so cool.

I have seriously considered praying about this -- think about it, the Proverbs 31 woman obviously slept little but got much done and people were speaking well of her rather than screaming over the fright she looked like due to lack of sleep (which they do when I try this in my own strength) so there must be something to it that is missing but attainable. I figure that firstly I need to be using the time I have already to the best of my ability which I'm not so I'm praying about that first and THEN I intend to pray for the grace to sleep less.

Ok, don't really do that! When I pray about it, I pray like my 3yo who doesn't want to go to bed. When I talk about it, I'm mostly joking.

Over & over, the Bible talks about rest. About not working so hard in our own strength. I would NOT assume that the P31 woman slept little--yeah, she works past sundown, but that's standard these days, kwim? And part of what I see in that proverb is that she DIDN'T do it all on her own--she managed servants & a household & put her time & energy into *some* things, not *all* things.

Really, I think it's probably for our best that we only get 24 hrs/day & need about 8 hrs sleep. (I'm deleting that confession in a minute, though!) More time in the day, less need for sleep...I don't know, it makes me think of the Tower of Babel. Whatever we'd build w/ that extra time/power might not be...good. Our limitations can serve to remind us of who God is & why we need him.

Besides. Even God rested. :001_smile:

Guest RecumbentHeart
.I don't know, it makes me think of the Tower of Babel. Whatever we'd build w/ that extra time/power might not be...good. Our limitations can serve to remind us of who God is & why we need him.

Besides. Even God rested. :001_smile:

This is actually why I think that at the moment I don't need extra hours -- I'm much more godly when I'm asleep. :tongue_smilie:

But I have known some (usually much older people) that get by very well with 5 hours of sleep a night.

Keep in mind, I have a 4mo that doesn't always sleep through the night and a 5yo, 3yo and 2yo that are all still inclined to cry out or get up in the night for various reasons so I already don't actually get much sleep (rarely 5 hours straight) - It's just not benefiting me time wise due to how worthless I feel because of it. :D

This is actually why I think that at the moment I don't need extra hours -- I'm much more godly when I'm asleep. :tongue_smilie:

But I have known some (usually much older people) that get by very well with 5 hours of sleep a night.

Keep in mind, I have a 4mo that doesn't always sleep through the night and a 5yo, 3yo and 2yo that are all still inclined to cry out or get up in the night for various reasons so I already don't actually get much sleep (rarely 5 hours straight) - It's just not benefiting me time wise due to how worthless I feel because of it. :D

Whew. I've btdt most of the last few years, so I understand. I just worry about the "Super-Mom" phenomenon & try to tell women as often as I can that they are Good Enough. :001_smile:

Guest RecumbentHeart
Whew. I've btdt most of the last few years, so I understand. I just worry about the "Super-Mom" phenomenon & try to tell women as often as I can that they are Good Enough. :001_smile:

Just another reason why The Publishing House is needed. It will be a haven of rest full of encouragement, calming beverages and good books .. and light sabers ... apparently.

I've been kicking this around too, but I'd like to bring some vintage texts into the present (some good stuff out there, just needs more teacher helps and a better format), and eventually write my own curriculum or a year by year guide with schedules. Since I like that sort of thing.

Anyway, I want to start with updating a vintage book, and learn to market with that. I'm thinking: website for the book (SEO the heck outa it), send out review copies (to regular parents and to author's of curriculum guides), social media stuff, post comments to relevant blogs & forums (in good taste), maybe purchase some advertising online (or offline in magazines), give talks / demonstrations (conventions, on YouTube, etc), have a support forum and meet people at the pub :lol:. I'm sure there is more.

I live in NaNo land a 1/6 of every year, and that could be a good place to start for general book marketing. Unless you get a big publisher (one of the top four or five) the author generally has to do a lot of their own marketing - or should, if they want to sell more copies.

But please let us know what you decide to publish, I want a copy!

Amy

Aubrey, see if a nearby university extension or community college offers a course on publishing or opening a small business (for you and/or your husband). You may be a natural at the business part of it and enjoy it.

Then hit the pub after class.

Yeah, but there are only so many hours in a day. I didn't mean to make it sound like a male/female thing, I just prefer the writing. And dh loves strategy & computers, so I've always thought that he could be really good at running a business. :001_smile:

Oh! Publishing!

I thought you were going to open a pub that caters to homeschool moms.

;)

I was exited there for a minute. I have a small Irish pub three blocks from my home at which I do all my curriculum planning and hold homeschool conferences, but I would be integrating it into more homeschool related activities.

:iagree: This is me too. And I hate to be downer on the starting your own business thing...but whenever someone says that I say "run for the hills!" :leaving::leaving: My experience has been 152 billion times harder than I thought it would be. If i could go back and do it again I wouldn't. But it wasn't my passion or my business per se, it was hubby's. But I have to work with him at keeping the business afloat. He couldn't do without me, and I HATE it!!!!

But some people thrive on that kind of pressure and excitement. I just only ever wanted to be stay at home mom and be a homeschooler. I don't get a rush by working outside of the home. And if it's something you are passionate about, it'll probably be a much nicer experience.

There are just so many things about running a business that you don't know until you're knee deep (sometimes over my head deep) into them. Not trying to discourage you. It's just my first gut wrenching response....."no, turn and run the other way as fast as you can"!

Good luck though! Sorry for being a downer.;)

:iagree: This is me too. And I hate to be downer on the starting your own business thing...but whenever someone says that I say "run for the hills!" :leaving::leaving: My experience has been 152 billion times harder than I thought it would be. If i could go back and do it again I wouldn't. But it wasn't my passion or my business per se, it was hubby's. But I have to work with him at keeping the business afloat. He couldn't do without me, and I HATE it!!!!

But some people thrive on that kind of pressure and excitement. I just only ever wanted to be stay at home mom and be a homeschooler. I don't get a rush by working outside of the home. And if it's something you are passionate about, it'll probably be a much nicer experience.

There are just so many things about running a business that you don't know until you're knee deep (sometimes over my head deep) into them. Not trying to discourage you. It's just my first gut wrenching response....."no, turn and run the other way as fast as you can"!

Good luck though! Sorry for being a downer.;)

I've always felt the same way. Dh has dreamed of owning his own business as long as I've known him; I like health ins, guaranteed pay checks, etc.

I'm looking at this right now as more of a hobby. I'd like for it to pay for itself. I'd like to get to go to a convention for free. Obviously more would be better, but I"m not thinking of dh quitting his job or us mortgaging a house.

And--it is my passion. I've always loved writing, & I've always loved education theory. I hadn't really realized the latter until I actually got to hs & start trying out my ideas. Suddenly, everything I learned in my MA is fascinating, lol. So combining everything I love in life the most, from writing to hs'ing to education, & being able to do it in my comfort zone (w/ my fam, at home, not w/ people on a constant basis) seems ideal, esp if it turns a profit. ;)

I spent a few days every summer at my grandparents' motorcycle shop, as a contrast, & yeah, I'd hate that! My dad x-rayed metal cylinders, & I think *he* hated that. If hs materials were not commonly self-published, I wouldn't even consider this rte, but it looks like the standard w/in this industry.

BUT...I'm glad you mentioned how you feel about it. The enthusiasm of this thread was beginning to make me suspicious, because I've never heard Cinderella stories about owning a business, esp one as niched as a hs pub. Hehehehe.

I really expected a lot more "run for the hills" & lists of things I needed to think about, be warned about, etc.

Publishing is an interesting business and with homeschooling booming, I get the interest! My background is in publishing for major textbook houses in higher ed and starting my own imprint with two other guys so I cannot speak to the homeschool market other than having hs my ds through high school. But, my advice to help organize your thinking is to get a good DIY writing a business plan book and consider each of the topics carefully. WHen we started our imprint, we did seek outside financing and a cooperative contract for the traditional services but starting small you could take it one step at a time easily. My advice: think through the costs involved as well as the marketing.

Sounds like fun!

Mary

I've always felt the same way. Dh has dreamed of owning his own business as long as I've known him; I like health ins, guaranteed pay checks, etc.

I'm looking at this right now as more of a hobby. I'd like for it to pay for itself. I'd like to get to go to a convention for free. Obviously more would be better, but I"m not thinking of dh quitting his job or us mortgaging a house.

And--it is my passion. I've always loved writing, & I've always loved education theory. I hadn't really realized the latter until I actually got to hs & start trying out my ideas. Suddenly, everything I learned in my MA is fascinating, lol. So combining everything I love in life the most, from writing to hs'ing to education, & being able to do it in my comfort zone (w/ my fam, at home, not w/ people on a constant basis) seems ideal, esp if it turns a profit. ;)

I spent a few days every summer at my grandparents' motorcycle shop, as a contrast, & yeah, I'd hate that! My dad x-rayed metal cylinders, & I think *he* hated that. If hs materials were not commonly self-published, I wouldn't even consider this rte, but it looks like the standard w/in this industry.

BUT...I'm glad you mentioned how you feel about it. The enthusiasm of this thread was beginning to make me suspicious, because I've never heard Cinderella stories about owning a business, esp one as niched as a hs pub. Hehehehe.

I really expected a lot more "run for the hills" & lists of things I needed to think about, be warned about, etc.

Yes, your situation is much different. If your family isn't relying on whether it takes off or not, I think it would be a good idea. My sister and i used to want to have a homeschool library. People could buy curriculum there, but mostly they could check things out to try before buying. However, I certainly won't be doing that anytime soon. I do wish you luck though. I can sense your excitement about i!

I think we just need a wealthy person to buy a house, decorate it like a comfy coffee shop, we could bring our books, there would be books there for sale, some just there to live. A few hammock by the back door and a stash of light sabers for dc or adults. Yeah, if we ever won the lottery.

This could be so cool.

Hmm, well, oddly enough, this sounds like my house. Although I don't sell books, I have plenty to browse/borrow. I can have DH hang a few hammocks. And goodness knows we have plenty of light sabers.:glare:

I'm located in the middle of the country. So that settles it. Everyone comes to me!!!

Hmm, well, oddly enough, this sounds like my house. Although I don't sell books, I have plenty to browse/borrow. I can have DH hang a few hammocks. And goodness knows we have plenty of light sabers.:glare:

I'm located in the middle of the country. So that settles it. Everyone comes to me!!!

Sweet!!!