Menu

Needed!! Add-ins for Quinoa recipes! And, Barley recipes!

I'm fairly "health market/buying/eating-minded". My mother and aunt were and I was raised that way. I'm raising my dd that way, but my dh was not raised that way. He'll eat what I serve and I try to always use:

browns and NOT whites: bread, rice, pasta, crackers, etc

organic eggs

organic fruits/veggies/dairy, etc

lettuces

beans, nuts, grains

Plus in the summer we grow our own organic veggies!

Well, quinoa has been a new addition in my cupboard, but I'm not preparing it well. I just added millet for the first time in a 50/50 ratio to brown rice when I made homemade chicken pot pie.

Back to quinoa. What are your favorite tasty add ins? Like alot of foods, once it cools it's more flavorable. I tried eating it warm/hot once and there was no flavor.

Bring on your suggestions, please. I have red, white and black quinoa ready to use.

ALSO, barley. HOW is it used? Is it a rice substitute like millet? Care to share any recipe ideas for barley?

THANKS. Sheryl <><

I'm fairly "health market/buying/eating-minded". My mother and aunt were and I was raised that way. I'm raising my dd that way, but my dh was not raised that way. He'll eat what I serve and I try to always use:

browns and NOT whites: bread, rice, pasta, crackers, etc

organic eggs

organic fruits/veggies/dairy, etc

lettuces

beans, nuts, grains

Plus in the summer we grow our own organic veggies!

Well, quinoa has been a new addition in my cupboard, but I'm not preparing it well. I just added millet for the first time in a 50/50 ratio to brown rice when I made homemade chicken pot pie.

Back to quinoa. What are your favorite tasty add ins? Like alot of foods, once it cools it's more flavorable. I tried eating it warm/hot once and there was no flavor.

Bring on your suggestions, please. I have red, white and black quinoa ready to use.

ALSO, barley. HOW is it used? Is it a rice substitute like millet? Care to share any recipe ideas for barley?

THANKS. Sheryl <><

I'm not fond of quinoa, so I can't help there, but if I can find it, I have a mushroom barley soup recipe that I love (and miss horribly now that I can't eat barley--it's just not the same with rice!). I think I've posted it here before. Let me look...

Here you go:

Mushroom Barley Soup

1 lb baby bella mushrooms (AKA cremini)

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

4 cups beef broth

2 medium white potatoes, diced small

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon minced garlic

2 large carrots, peeled and chopped

1 cup pearl barley

3 bay leaves

salt and pepper

Slice mushrooms and set aside.

Melt butter in heavy large soup pot over medium heat (do not let butter brown)

Add onion, carrrots, celery, and garlic.

Saute until tender, about 8 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.

Add all 8 cups of broth, barley, potato, and bay leaves.

Bring to boil over high heat, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer about 35 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Don't forget to discard bay leaves.

I stir a little dollop of low fat sour cream into each bowl (and a generous helping of Tabasco sauce into mine), and serve it up with sweet whole wheat potato bread (would also be SOOO good with challah).

HTH!

Edited by melissel

I'm not fond of quinoa, so I can't help there, but if I can find it, I have a mushroom barley soup recipe that I love (and miss horribly now that I can't eat barley--it's just not the same with rice!). I think I've posted it here before. Let me look...

Here you go:

Mushroom Barley Soup

1 lb baby bella mushrooms (AKA cremini)

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

4 cups beef broth

2 medium white potatoes, diced small

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon minced garlic

2 large carrots, peeled and chopped

1 cup pearl barley

3 bay leaves

salt and pepper

Slice mushrooms and set aside.

Melt butter in heavy large soup pot over medium heat (do not let butter brown)

Add onion, carrrots, celery, and garlic.

Saute until tender, about 8 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.

Add all 8 cups of broth, barley, potato, and bay leaves.

Bring to boil over high heat, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer about 35 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Don't forget to discard bay leaves.

I stir a little dollop of low fat sour cream into each bowl (and a generous helping of Tabasco sauce into mine), and serve it up with sweet whole wheat potato bread (would also be SOOO good with challah).

HTH!

THANKS MELISSEL! I will print off and definatley make this. It looks GREAT!

Now, if anyone has any casserole ideas that would be great too!

I can't wait to make the soup! :D

THANKS MELISSEL! I will print off and definatley make this. It looks GREAT!

Now, if anyone has any casserole ideas that would be great too!

I can't wait to make the soup! :D

You are welcome :D Actually, now I'm kinda thinking I might make it tonight myself. I have a bunch of mushrooms that need to be used, and this would finish them off. Need to get out and pick up some celery though...

I like quinoa. Make sure you soak it first though. I make it according to directions and serve it as a I would rice, either as a basic side or with veggies that have been steamed or stir fried. If I serve it as a side, dh likes to add soy sauce, hot sauce, and various spices. Dd likes it plain with a drizzle of olive oil.

Barley is easy to use too. I put it in soups of course. But, I just made a delicious crockpot breakfast cereal with barley, wheat berries, millet, brown rice, amaranth, and a diced apple. Very tasty!!

You are welcome :D Actually, now I'm kinda thinking I might make it tonight myself. I have a bunch of mushrooms that need to be used, and this would finish them off. Need to get out and pick up some celery though...

M, do you put it a slow cooker? I need to reread your reply. Hey, if you're not supposed to eat barley, should you then? I know different people have different things they shouldn't eat for one reason or another. Just "food" for thought.....ok, ok, not original, but I try with in the humor dept. I really do. :lol:

Quinoa is a staple here. I cook large amounts of it in beef or chicken broth (from whatever was in the crockpot) instead of water along with some coconut oil. When it's done I refrigerate it and then when we need an "on the road" meal, I add in bell peppers of all colors, scallions, purple onions, arugula, romaine, sea salt and healthy vinagrette. Sometimes add in whatever meat is in the fridge. It's a hearty and filling meal.

I also like to use it in broccoli and veggie stir-fry in place of rice. It's yummy with tamari.

I put it in soups of all sorts. I almost always have some cooked and in my fridge ready to be put in something.

The key for us liking quinoa is the coconut oil and broth. Otherwise it's eatable but it's not yummy.

I like quinoa. Make sure you soak it first though. I make it according to directions and serve it as a I would rice, either as a basic side or with veggies that have been steamed or stir fried. If I serve it as a side, dh likes to add soy sauce, hot sauce, and various spices. Dd likes it plain with a drizzle of olive oil.

Barley is easy to use too. I put it in soups of course. But, I just made a delicious crockpot breakfast cereal with barley, wheat berries, millet, brown rice, amaranth, and a diced apple. Very tasty!!

Holly, I need a recipe. Can you send? Sounds good. Have you tried other fruits?

I cook the quinoa, we like red.

I cube and brown sweet potatoes.

I toss the quinoa and sweet potato cubes with black beans, cilantro, squeezed lime juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Sorry, I don't have any measurements. This is my family's favorite quinoa meal.

Like cilantro alot. Have you used Basil and does it work as well. Or, rosemary, oregano?

Quinoa is a staple here. I cook large amounts of it in beef or chicken broth (from whatever was in the crockpot) instead of water along with some coconut oil. When it's done I refrigerate it and then when we need an "on the road" meal, I add in bell peppers of all colors, scallions, purple onions, arugula, romaine, sea salt and healthy vinagrette. Sometimes add in whatever meat is in the fridge. It's a hearty and filling meal.

I also like to use it in broccoli and veggie stir-fry in place of rice. It's yummy with tamari. So, quinoa can be a rice substitute, right?

I put it in soups of all sorts. I almost always have some cooked and in my fridge ready to be put in something.

The key for us liking quinoa is the coconut oil and broth. Otherwise it's eatable but it's not yummy.

Does coconut oil work better than olive oil (organic, extra light, cold pressed) and grape seed oil I started buying recently?

Thanks y'all.....I'll check back for your answers. Others care to expand my recipe folder?

This is one of my favorite salads of all time. So simple, yet the flavors blend beautifully!

Barley and Vegetable Salad

1 ½ cups water

½ cup uncooked quick-cooking barley

¼ tsp. salt

2 oz fresh asparagus

½ cup shredded red cabbage

½ cup roasted red bell peppers, rinsed, and chopped

1 green onion sliced

1 Tbl. Crumbled Feta cheese

2 tsp. olive oil

2 tsp lemon juice

½ tsp. sugar

Cook barley and salt in boiling water (10-12 min if quick cooking, longer if regular barley). Cut asparagus into 1 inch spears. Stir into fully cooked barley (before draining) and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid, and let cool, uncovered for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine mixture with remaining ingredients. Can serve immediately or cover and chill.

I love quinoa, my dd19 likes it and my dd17 and dh hate it.:lol:

Be sure you rinse it well before cooking, otherwise it will be bitter.

I cook it in water (2 parts water for 1 part quinoa) for 15 minutes.

I then use it as a base for stir fry, I add whatever veggies are on hand (onions and garlic if available), a few eggs and season with cumin and or paprika and add a little cream or butter.

It also makes a nice starch in soups. I do not cook it in. I make the soup and then put a scoop of cooked quinoa in the bowl.

dd19 likes it because it is gluten free.

This is one of my favorite salads of all time. So simple, yet the flavors blend beautifully!

1 ½ cups water

¼ tsp. salt

2 oz fresh asparagus

1 green onion sliced

2 tsp. olive oil

2 tsp lemon juice

½ tsp. sugar

Cook barley and salt in boiling water (10-12 min if quick cooking, longer if regular barley). Cut asparagus into 1 inch spears. Stir into fully cooked barley (before draining) and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid, and let cool, uncovered for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine mixture with remaining ingredients. Can serve immediately or cover and chill.

Oh Beth, good one! I use asparagus and cabbage in lots of things so I usually have them on hand. Do you add nuts. We are nut eaters.

:lurk5:

Going today to buy more quinoa so this thread came at a great time! I've never tried barley, maybe I'll pick up some of that too. :)

Our family loves these Quinoa Burgers.

Wow Heather, quinoa burger. I never knew! I'm trying to find a black bean burger recipe too like the one I had in St. Augustine, FL at Denny's. TOO GOOD! Thanks!

My husband made this a couple nights ago: Toasted Barley, Green Bean, and Shiitake Salad with Tofu

It was delicious.

Cat

GREAT, thanks!

I love quinoa, my dd19 likes it and my dd17 and dh hate it.:lol:

Be sure you rinse it well before cooking, otherwise it will be bitter.

I cook it in water (2 parts water for 1 part quinoa) for 15 minutes.

I then use it as a base for stir fry, I add whatever veggies are on hand (onions and garlic if available), a few eggs and season with cumin and or paprika and add a little cream or butter.

It also makes a nice starch in soups. I do not cook it in. I make the soup and then put a scoop of cooked quinoa in the bowl.

dd19 likes it because it is gluten free.

Again, this sounds yummy, but Denise, I don't understand the egg portion. Explain?

Just this week I made the Quaker Chicken Barley Chili on the side of the box. It was delish.

I'll see if I can get the recipe & add it here.

EtA: This looks like the one except mine wasn't quick barley so it cooked longer.http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?recipeId=11450

Also, I didn't have any corn or green pepper but added carrots & onion.

Edited by momoflaw

1 ½ cups water

¼ tsp. salt

2 oz fresh asparagus

1 green onion sliced

2 tsp. olive oil

2 tsp lemon juice

½ tsp. sugar

Oooooh! I've never added nuts, but I'm thinking some nice toasted almonds (or whatever) would be delish. Really becomes a main dish with the added protein, don't you think? Yummy!

M, do you put it a slow cooker? I need to reread your reply. Hey, if you're not supposed to eat barley, should you then? I know different people have different things they shouldn't eat for one reason or another. Just "food" for thought.....ok, ok, not original, but I try with in the humor dept. I really do. :lol:

:lol: Actually, I would make it with the rice instead. It's not as "roll your eyes and slurp straight from the bowl" delicious that way, but it's still pretty good :D Oh no, after that last experience a few years ago, I avoid barley like the plague. No one wants to go through that again :lol:

And no, I have not tried it in the crock. No one here ever liked anything in made in that thing, so I gave it up long ago. I don't see why you couldn't though. I think the key to the flavor is the sauteing of the veggies in the beginning, and after that the rest could be done in the crock. It's always been easy enough for me to just do it in a pot.

Just this week I made the Quaker Chicken Barley Chili on the side of the box. It was delish.

I'll see if I can get the recipe & add it here.

EtA: This looks like the one except mine wasn't quick barley so it cooked longer.http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?recipeId=11450

Also, I didn't have any corn or green pepper but added carrots & onion.

Great...I use ALOT of organic old fashioned oats in baking, etc. Even 2 days ago instead of crackers in my salmon patties, I used oats! Although I've replaced "oatmeal oats" with "oat bran". It's much healthier to eat the bran of anything, I think. Thanks!!

Oooooh! I've never added nuts, but I'm thinking some nice toasted almonds (or whatever) would be delish. Really becomes a main dish with the added protein, don't you think? Yummy!

Yes, I love almonds and walnuts. BTW, in a thread a week or so ago, I stated that I found cinammon almonds at Trader Joe's! Talk yummy...if you like cinammon. I also bought there pralined pecans to throw on my lettuce salad. I've replicated the Wendy's chicken lettuce salad with the apples, bleu cheese, praline almonds, dried cranberries! Too good! That's a good point...it would become a main dish with the nuts. IF my dh wanted to add meat, I could place some grilled meat strips on his. Good idea!

Stupid question - are bulgur and barley the same thing?

:lol: Actually, I would make it with the rice instead. It's not as "roll your eyes and slurp straight from the bowl" delicious that way, but it's still pretty good :D Oh no, after that last experience a few years ago, I avoid barley like the plague. No one wants to go through that again :lol:

And no, I have not tried it in the crock. No one here ever liked anything in made in that thing, so I gave it up long ago. I don't see why you couldn't though. I think the key to the flavor is the sauteing of the veggies in the beginning, and after that the rest could be done in the crock. It's always been easy enough for me to just do it in a pot.

M, I'm confused. With your soup recipe then, would you use rice or barley? Maybe too make it more liquid just keep the barley and add more juice, water, broth???

Does coconut oil work better than olive oil (organic, extra light, cold pressed) and grape seed oil I started buying recently?

I'm sure olive oil works just fine. Coconut is my staple oil. :)

I discovered, by accident, that quinoa is good stirred into bean chili the last 20 minutes of cooking. It soaks up the excess liquid and adds a nice, not-quite-nutty flavour. I had been using masa for that role, but had none one day. My ex just loved it that way.

Well that just sounds delish!!!

M, I'm confused. With your soup recipe then, would you use rice or barley? Maybe too make it more liquid just keep the barley and add more juice, water, broth???

You would go ahead and use barley, according to the recipe I posted. However, after that last disastrous time I made it, I've started cooking brown rice on the side instead, and adding it individually to each bowl. It still works fine that way, but it's missing the extra richness the barley gives it.

ETA: I'm not sure if I'm being confusing, so let me clarify that barley is a completely different grain than rice. It contains gluten, which is why it disagrees with me (I'm very gluten-sensitive). Rice doesn't contain gluten, so I sometimes can sub it in when recipes call for a whole grain. In this recipe, the barley does soak up some of the liquid, but not so much that leaving it out affects the soup, really. I don't generally use less liquid when making this just because I cook the rice on the side.

Edited by melissel

I'm sure olive oil works just fine. Coconut is my staple oil. :)

Well that just sounds delish!!!

Thanks!

You would go ahead and use barley, according to the recipe I posted. However, after that last disastrous time I made it, I've started cooking brown rice on the side instead, and adding it individually to each bowl. It still works fine that way, but it's missing the extra richness the barley gives it.

ETA: I'm not sure if I'm being confusing, so let me clarify that barley is a completely different grain than rice. It contains gluten, which is why it disagrees with me (I'm very gluten-sensitive). Rice doesn't contain gluten, so I sometimes can sub it in when recipes call for a whole grain. In this recipe, the barley does soak up some of the liquid, but not so much that leaving it out affects the soup, really. I don't generally use less liquid when making this just because I cook the rice on the side.

M, I think I understand. Yes, I researched gluten a while back and need to research it more. I know many folks have gluten sensitivities and have questioned if my dd does.

Adding the barley sounds too good. I will do this, but do not like a thick paste consistency. Not watery either. Just a hearty middle and it sounds like eventhough b soaks up some liquid it will NOT turn into paste. If I'm wrong on that, lmk.

One of my favorites: Mushroom Barley Pilaf http://www.barleyfoods.org/recipes/barley_mushroompilaf.html

Kewb, Thanks. I'm wanting all kinds of recipes for quinoa and barley. Actually millet too. So, this recipe I know will be a big hit as will the other ones.

I discovered, by accident, that quinoa is good stirred into bean chili the last 20 minutes of cooking. It soaks up the excess liquid and adds a nice, not-quite-nutty flavour. I had been using masa for that role, but had none one day. My ex just loved it that way.

I need more info on this. Are you using as a thick porridge style to maybe be layered on top of a hamburger or bean burger or something? I understand when you say q soaks up the liquid in the chili, but how do you eat the chili then? It sounds good!

What is masa??

Thanks!

M, I think I understand. Yes, I researched gluten a while back and need to research it more. I know many folks have gluten sensitivities and have questioned if my dd does.

[/color][/b]

Oh no, definitely not like a paste! It's not watery like chicken noodle soup would be, but not thick like a cream soup either. It's a rich, brothy soup, for sure. Was my reference to sauteeing what threw you off? I only meant that the key to the flavor comes from the sauteing of the celery, carrots, onion, and garlic in the butter in the beginning, because it breaks their flavor down into the butter base--then you add everything else. I was thinking that if you just throw everything into the crock, you don't get that base flavor. IMO, you'd have to saute everything down in the butter first, then transfer all of that plus the other ingredients into the slow cooker in order to get the same flavor. For me, at that point, there was no benefit to using the slow cooker when you could just keep it all in the same pot for another half hour.

I hope that makes more sense :D

I need more info on this. Are you using as a thick porridge style to maybe be layered on top of a hamburger or bean burger or something? I understand when you say q soaks up the liquid in the chili, but how do you eat the chili then? It sounds good!

What is masa??

I quick PC the beans so they are only about 4/5th done. I then add them to plenty of water with some sauteed onions, bell pepper, cubed broc stems, etc. tomatoes, and chili powder and cook on low for the afternoon (not PC). By the end of 4-6 hours, there is a layer of water on the top, about 1/2 inch thick. If you stir it back in, the result is, to me, more soupy than chili-y. I add either a slurry of masa (the ground lime-slaked corn you make tortilla from) or raw (washed) quinoa. The quinoa will tell you it is done when it has little round circles here and there. The masa works a little faster. Both add a slightly different aimno acid to the mix, and a nice flavour.

Oh no, definitely not like a paste! It's not watery like chicken noodle soup would be, but not thick like a cream soup either. It's a rich, brothy soup, for sure. Was my reference to sauteeing what threw you off? I only meant that the key to the flavor comes from the sauteing of the celery, carrots, onion, and garlic in the butter in the beginning, because it breaks their flavor down into the butter base--then you add everything else. I was thinking that if you just throw everything into the crock, you don't get that base flavor. IMO, you'd have to saute everything down in the butter first, then transfer all of that plus the other ingredients into the slow cooker in order to get the same flavor. For me, at that point, there was no benefit to using the slow cooker when you could just keep it all in the same pot for another half hour.

I hope that makes more sense :D

Yes, got it now. It sounds really, really good. I agree the slow cooker may be pointless and better left for other recipes. OK, thanks M!

I quick PC the beans so they are only about 4/5th done. I then add them to plenty of water with some sauteed onions, bell pepper, cubed broc stems, etc. tomatoes, and chili powder and cook on low for the afternoon (not PC). By the end of 4-6 hours, there is a layer of water on the top, about 1/2 inch thick. If you stir it back in, the result is, to me, more soupy than chili-y. I add either a slurry of masa (the ground lime-slaked corn you make tortilla from) or raw (washed) quinoa. The quinoa will tell you it is done when it has little round circles here and there. The masa works a little faster. Both add a slightly different aimno acid to the mix, and a nice flavour.

PC....pressure cooker? That is one small appliance I don't have. :lol: So, would I use my slow cooker in place of the PC? But, what is the difference b/t slow cooker and pressure cooker.

Y

PC....pressure cooker? That is one small appliance I don't have. :lol: So, would I use my slow cooker in place of the PC? But, what is the difference b/t slow cooker and pressure cooker.

I just use the PC to hurry up the beans. You could soak them overnight and boil them on a stove top. The thing is, if you add the onion and peppers etc when the beans are RAW, they will be mush by the end.

I just use the PC to hurry up the beans. You could soak them overnight and boil them on a stove top. The thing is, if you add the onion and peppers etc when the beans are RAW, they will be mush by the end.

OK, got it. Thanks. Off to assemble my ingredients for these recipes!!

OK, got it. Thanks. Off to assemble my ingredients for these recipes!!

BTW, I use Penzey's chile con carne seasoning (no carne in my chili, but I like the flavor) 50/50 with their chile powder, a smoked ancho in there, and a bit of smoked paprika, plus mexican oregano (all from Penzey's)

My favorite way to eat quinoa so far is with bacon and mushrooms.

First I cook a small amount of diced bacon with about 1/2 cup diced onions, and 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms. When the onions are soft, then I add 1 cup of rinsed and drained quinoa, and "toast" them in the pan until they begin to make popping noises. Add 2 cups of stock, and cook until the quinoa is done. Add salt to taste. Even better the next day.

I also recently saw a breakfast recipe that I want to try. They cooked it in juice (apple or orange) and added fruit, honey and cinnamon.

I made this subbing Kale for their suggested green,

dh and I liked it ok. Kids thought it was gross :)

http://veganyumyum.com/2008/06/sweet-chili-lime-tofu-with-wok-steamed-collards-and-quinoa/

I will say it was awfully pretty!

I'll check it out...thanks!!

BTW, I use Penzey's chile con carne seasoning (no carne in my chili, but I like the flavor) 50/50 with their chile powder, a smoked ancho in there, and a bit of smoked paprika, plus mexican oregano (all from Penzey's)

ahhhh, it looks like you like spicey foods? we do like spicey here so I'll check this out as well. mexican oregano..huh? I'm trying to remember the oregano we grew last year. I know there are different kinds.

My favorite way to eat quinoa so far is with bacon and mushrooms.

First I cook a small amount of diced bacon with about 1/2 cup diced onions, and 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms. When the onions are soft, then I add 1 cup of rinsed and drained quinoa, and "toast" them in the pan until they begin to make popping noises. Add 2 cups of stock, and cook until the quinoa is done. Add salt to taste. Even better the next day.

I also recently saw a breakfast recipe that I want to try. They cooked it in juice (apple or orange) and added fruit, honey and cinnamon.

Thanks for the top suggestion and the fruit, honey, etc sounds TOO good Apryl. I zest my cinammon by hand and use it often. Would some toasted pecans be good with that or is too much with the other flavors. Love honey, fruit. Wowser...what a combo!! Can't wait to try. THANKS!

We eat whole wheat couscous 3-4 times a week at dinner. I bought quinoa, thinking it would be a healthier option, but when I compared, they were similar nutritionally. I think the couscous actually had more fiber, and my family likes to eat it much more. Maybe you could try that. I buy it at TJs, and we cook it with a touch of butter and some parsley or marjoram.

I made this beef barley soup, and it was good. I skipped the sugar, added more barley and less meat, and subbed a touch of butter for the oil.

I started using barley after making pottage for a Medieval feaste and faire last year. I use chicken stock with lots of herbs added in and sliced leeks, as well as onions and garlic. I typically add boneless, skinless chicken thighs to this. I also typically use pearled barley so that I don't have to soak it first. If I'm cooking everything in the crockpot, then I just put it in during the last hour.

I've seen lots of recipes for beef and barley soup, which would be like a beef stew with barley instead of potatoes in it. I've also seen lamb substituted in this. And I've run across barley and lentil pottage, as well, but I can't get my crew to eat lentils.....

I really like barley as a cereal, instead of oatmeal. I add cinnamon, cardamom, and brown sugar. Sometimes sliced almonds and raisins, too..... yummy.....

A friend made it for me the other day. Never liked it before, but this was good. She boiled it. Strained any water that was left then mixed in coconut milk, diced mango, diced papaya and raisins. We had it for breakfast. It was pretty yummy. Not at all what I was expecting.

Here's how I make quinoa:

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa

1 cup dried cranberries

3/4 cup chopped scallions

3/4 cup chopped red pepper

3/4 cup slivered almonds

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Put quinoa in a bowl and cover with cold water. Using your fingers, lightly rub the grains together to get the bitter saponin off and then drain and rinse using a mesh strainer. I usually repeat this.

Add quinoa to 2 cups of lightly salted boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl to cool. Stir in cranberries, scallions, red pepper, almonds. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper; pour over the quinoa salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled.

(It tastes even better the next day.)

Okay, I didn't read all of the posts, but here is how I like quinoa best.

I cook it according to the package, i.e. in boiling water until liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, I dice onions and saute them in a little olive oil. Then I add the quinoa and saute it for a few minutes. Then I add frozen peas and stir until they are heated through. It's tasty and simple.

Okay, I didn't read all of the posts, but here is how I like quinoa best.

I cook it according to the package, i.e. in boiling water until liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, I dice onions and saute them in a little olive oil. Then I add the quinoa and saute it for a few minutes. Then I add frozen peas and stir until they are heated through. It's tasty and simple.

Thanks Happy! Appreciate it!

Here's how I make quinoa:

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa

1 cup dried cranberries

3/4 cup chopped scallions

3/4 cup chopped red pepper

3/4 cup slivered almonds

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Put quinoa in a bowl and cover with cold water. Using your fingers, lightly rub the grains together to get the bitter saponin off and then drain and rinse using a mesh strainer. I usually repeat this.

Add quinoa to 2 cups of lightly salted boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl to cool. Stir in cranberries, scallions, red pepper, almonds. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper; pour over the quinoa salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled.

(It tastes even better the next day.)

LadyN...sounds yummy too! Do you know if there is a way to NOT boil your grain? This is interesting to me and I should have written in my original post that I'd like to soak grain and not boil....I'm trying to eat foods that have NOT been heated which basically kills the food. However eating grains that are heated are better than eating no grains at all.

Do you use cheesecloth to drain?

Do you know if there is a way to NOT boil your grain?

I read online that you can sprout quinoa and eat it raw, but I've never tried that before. Other than that, I've never heard of not heating quinoa. I wonder if you could simmer it for a shorter time and then take it off the heat, keeping it covered. You'd still be using heat but at least you wouldn't be boiling it the whole time.

I use a fine mesh strainer to rinse it under cold running water.

I read online that you can sprout quinoa and eat it raw, but I've never tried that before. Other than that, I've never heard of not heating quinoa. I wonder if you could simmer it for a shorter time and then take it off the heat, keeping it covered. You'd still be using heat but at least you wouldn't be boiling it the whole time.

I use a fine mesh strainer to rinse it under cold running water.

Oh Nancy, that's good. I bet that would work and will try and play around with it. I sprout grains every now and then, but the quick boil/steam sounds like what I'm looking for. And, running under cold to stop the heating process.......good.

Thanks!