Menu

Anyone lose >20 lbs. & *not* follow a particular diet?

I have - as of this morning - 64 lbs. to lose if I want to be at my personal goal weight (140 lbs at 5' 8") :glare:

I tried WW (I got w/in 20 lbs. of my goal several years ago and then just quit. I have tried many times since & given up quickly every time - including in the past month).

I have tried Atkins and South Beach Diet (I never made it past the 1st two weeks).

I think that every time I start a diet I immediately rebel, sabotaging myself over and over... No will power, but I can't stand myself and all of this extra weight.

So - has anyone lost weight at an acceptable pace (1-2 lbs/wk) by just watching what they ate? Making wiser choices. Stopping when almost full. Avoiding late-night snacking. Cutting out most (not all!) sweets/junk food. Stuff like that?

A good friend of mine refuses to diet. A few years ago she creeped up almost to where I am now and lost an incredible amount of weight by cutting out the lg. sweetened iced tea she drank each day and never allowing herself to get full. She didn't stay hungry - she just refused to allow herself to get full when eating. I believe that she exercised on occasion, but nothing terribly regular.

Thoughts? I'd sure love to hear a success story or two tonight!

I lost 60 lbs without trying by cutting out processed foods (I did it because I was diagnosed with a corn allergy and corn is in EVERYTHING).

I ate meat, full-fat everything (sour cream, cheese, butter, etc), as much as I wanted. I DID eat lots of vegetables...usually covered in butter or olive oil.

I didn't eat a lot of sugar, but didn't deny myself if I wanted to bake a cake or something. But even the 'junk' I made with whole, natural ingredients.

My motivation was to heal from the damage my food allergies had done to my body. The weight loss was an awesome side effect. :D

I still eat this way and so does my whole family.

Eating 'real food' made all the difference for me.

I lost 70 lbs by just trying to move in some way most days, even if it was only 20 minutes, and trying to make better choices. I cut out most processed foods and just ate REAL food, not junk, most of the time. And if I wanted 3 cookies, I had 1. If I wanted cake I had 1/2 a slice. That kind of thing.

I lost 25 lbs a couple of years ago just by taking 5-htp with each meal. I worked up from 50mg 20-30 minutes before each meal to 200-300mg/meal. The 5-htp made me feel full sooner, and I ate less. After I started losing weight, I was motivated to make better food choices, too, so I lost more weight. 5-htp made all the difference in my motivation b/c I was rarely hungry, and I stuck with it (unlike previous "diets").

So, I didn't diet or count calories, but I ate less and made better choices. I lost about 1 lb a week and losing 25 lbs took about six months. I didn't feel deprived or cheated at all, b/c I wasn't "dieting."

Over the last year or so, I've gained about 10 lbs back (after I stopped taking 5-htp), so I'm back on 5-htp (along with glucomannan this time, for cholesterol lowering and increased "fullness"), and I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm counting calories this time, though, b/c I want to lose 25 more lbs and I'd like to lose as much of it as I can before dd and I go to Chicago.

HIH,

Lisa

Standard Disclaimer: Ask your doctor/pharmacist about whether taking 5-htp is appropriate for you. Don't take it if you're on antidepressants or other meds that work on serotonin, b/c you can have serious complications if you combine two serotonin-related drugs/supplements.

So - has anyone lost weight at an acceptable pace (1-2 lbs/wk) by just watching what they ate? Making wiser choices. Stopping when almost full. Avoiding late-night snacking. Cutting out most (not all!) sweets/junk food. Stuff like that?

Yes, several times and about to try again. This last pregnancy has left me at my highest weight yet. :tongue_smilie:Two of the biggest things that seem to work are not eating after 7 pm and giving myself a free day. I can't go too crazy on the free day but at least I know I can splurge a little and it gives me something to look forward to.

I don't know if this is helpful but one thing I've learned is I have to be hungry to lose weight. I read this and it was really eye opening to me (even though it is obvious). My body wants to maintain its weight and I have to fight that to some extent. Being hungry is not fun but neither is weighing 40 pounds too much so I tell myself to choose. Some days I choose to be heavy and say the heck with it - but most days I make the right choice.

One other thought: don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen overnight. I remind myself that in a year I can weigh the same (or more) or I can weigh less. Even if it is only x pounds less instead of the number I was hoping for that is the right direction. I always get disappointed at some point about how long it is taking but slow and steady, going in the right direction, I eventually get there - and then I get knocked up again;). Good luck! HTH!

I lost 60 pounds and still have 40 to go. I try to walk everyday, either outside around the neighborhood or by doing a Leslie Sansone video. I don't skip meals. I used to think I was to busy to make myself a good meal. I would just grab a bite of this or that, but that was always junk. I eat pretty healthy 90% of the time. Sunday is usually the day I let my self slide. I will eat a big breakfast, order pizza or have a big ol' piece of chocolate cake with no guilt.

As of today, if the scale is correct, I've lost 22 lbs. by reducing carbs and sugar, cutting back on seconds, and eating healthier snacks.

I eat more when I'm on a "diet" than when I'm not because being on a diet makes me obsess about food. So I knew the only way to lose weight was to change the way I eat as a lifestyle.

I quit drinking sweet tea and now usually drink water with lime. I eat salads as a meal a few times a week. I add some form of protein to it, such as chicken, tuna, salmon, or hard boiled eggs. I think twice before I take seconds, and I don't eat sweets as often.

I don't use low-fat anything because the flavor is usually replaced with sugar, and I believe fat is necessary to trigger the full response. OTOH, I rarely fry foods other than eggs.

Some of the foods we think are healthy are not. The next time you reach for a yogurt, look at the sugar content.

I haven't followed any particular diet, but I've been inspired by Atkins, Fat Loss 4 Idiots, and The Belly Fat Cure. The last one in particular has some easy recipes for popular foods.

I haven't been hungry, but I stopped stuffing myself just because the food tastes good. When I starve myself, I binge and don't lose weight. The weight has come off slowly, but that's okay, because I know I can keep it off this way.

Edited by LizzyBee

I've lost 36 pounds since July of last year just by counting calories (staying between 1200 and 1600 a day) and walking. I eat pretty much the same food I ate before (just less of it). I rarely snack and I don't drink soda. The weight is dropping very slowly, but it is coming off. I have 27 pounds left to reach my goal.

I lost over 80 lbs (years ago) by simply changing what I ate--smaller portions, low fat, more fruit and veg, etc. I also exercised--40 min every other day on a stair stepper, parking and walking, and weight lifting. Since then I have periodically (after each baby) dropped about twently pounds the same way. I have really enjoyed this site:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

I enter what I eat and it estimates calories. I enter my weight goals, exercise and some other basic info and it graphs things out for me. It is free (the basic version anyway), and more than anything, it keeps me mindful of what I am eating, and how much. If I don't want to "report to Lance" that I've eaten half a dozen donuts, well then I have to reconsider.:lol:

Well, I follow the principles of the NoS diet which isn't a diet in the sense of telling you WHAT to eat. It lays out three basic eating principles that help one from overeating:

No Snacks (3 good meals a day or 4 if you need it)

No Seconds (fit everything on one plate so you can SEE what you are really eating)

No Sweets (this means desserts--not the sugar in your coffee unless excessive)

EXCEPT (and this is what makes it doable longterm) Special Days

Honestly, my diet (already good to begin with) has IMPROVED by implementing these three healthy habits. I no longer fool myself with the idea that I will have fruit for a snack--it is planned and eaten as part of a meal, often the sweet treat at the end. Neither do I nibble my way into overeating. I can't believe how easy it is *for me* to overeat when I constantly take small portions of everything (because I'm convinced that I didn't eat very much, so I need seconds and even thirds). I strive to cover my plate with 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain, 1/2 veggies and salads when it works out. I enjoy ALL kinds of foods; the one plate rule (no seconds) keeps me from overdoing it. I now hate to feel stuffed. I like to have an appetite for my next meal; I treasure that little edge of hunger right before my next meal.

I could go on and on. Instead, I suggest you visit the NoS website (free): http://www.nosdiet.com and READ why these habits can serve you well whatever you may choose to do. Then spend some time reading the NoS forums--especially the testimonials and general one. You will quickly realize that NoS is NOT about dieting but rather a way to eat sensibly, sanely, enjoyably for life.

One more thing: I've lost 40 pounds with these three simple changes and now have a great relationship with food and eating no matter what life brings: everyday, holidays, vacations. :)

HTH,

Wow, TY all so much for the posts - and :party: for all of the lbs. lost!

... if I wanted 3 cookies, I had 1. If I wanted cake I had 1/2 a slice. That kind of thing.

Love it! Congrats on your loss.

I lost 25 lbs a couple of years ago just by taking 5-htp with each meal.

I have looked into 5-http before because I suffer from SAD. would be doubly-interesting to see if it coud help with my weight as well! TY for the info - and congrats on your loss!

I don't know if this is helpful but one thing I've learned is I have to be hungry to lose weight. I read this and it was really eye opening to me (even though it is obvious). My body wants to maintain its weight and I have to fight that to some extent. Being hungry is not fun but neither is weighing 40 pounds too much so I tell myself to choose. Some days I choose to be heavy and say the heck with it - but most days I make the right choice.

LOVE the bold part. Now that you mention it, I think the one time I was successful on WW was b/c I allowed myself to feel hunger. It really helped me to focus and stay OP.

I lost 60 pounds and still have 40 to go. I try to walk everyday, either outside around the neighborhood or by doing a Leslie Sansone video.

Congrats on your loss! Is there one of her videos you would recommend to start? I waas online the other day & couldn't decide. I can not get to a gym here (DH's work hours / no childcare at the gym on base) and the heavy snows keep me from walking outside 6 mos out of the yr!

I eat more when I'm on a "diet" than when I'm not because being on a diet makes me obsess about food...

I don't use low-fat anything because the flavor is usually replaced with sugar, and I believe fat is necessary to trigger the full response. OTOH, I rarely fry foods other than eggs.

I haven't been hungry, but I stopped stuffing myself just because the food tastes good. When I starve myself, I binge and don't lose weight.

Are we long-lost twins??? ;-)

I've never done a formal "diet". I have had great success by cutting out heavily processed foods, reducing sugar consumption (cutting out processed foods helps a lot with this, many processed foods are loaded with unnecessary sugar/HFCS), and limiting snacking. Reading food labels helps too. I found that the canned beans we were buying had sugar as an ingredient. Those beans have been replaced with a brand that doesn't have sugar added or dry beans.

I eat meat. I eat fat. I watch my carbs. I choose to get carbs from fruit and veggies rather than from bread and pasta. I eat a minimal amount of breads and pastas.

I have - as of this morning - 64 lbs. to lose if I want to be at my personal goal weight (140 lbs at 5' 8") :glare:

I tried WW (I got w/in 20 lbs. of my goal several years ago and then just quit. I have tried many times since & given up quickly every time - including in the past month).

I have tried Atkins and South Beach Diet (I never made it past the 1st two weeks).

I think that every time I start a diet I immediately rebel, sabotaging myself over and over... No will power, but I can't stand myself and all of this extra weight.

A good friend of mine refuses to diet. A few years ago she creeped up almost to where I am now and lost an incredible amount of weight by cutting out the lg. sweetened iced tea she drank each day and never allowing herself to get full. She didn't stay hungry - she just refused to allow herself to get full when eating. I believe that she exercised on occasion, but nothing terribly regular.

Thoughts? I'd sure love to hear a success story or two tonight!

I do the same as you, sabotage myself. Losing weight is seriously an anxiety issue for me and I go into it or even think about it as a failure and it's not going to happen. I usually go two or three weeks rocking along great and them boom. I think it's because I make a big, hairy deal about it instead of just live my regular life in an improved way, kwim? No big changes, no buying different foods and adding 1.5 hour of exercise into my life, etc., etc., because that never works for me. It's almost like I have to sneak up on myself and just think everything's normal, but I'm not going to have a coke or a cookie or snack at 11pm or whatever. I'm trying to not make it a big deal or even put a time frame on it. So, today, again, I am on the road to change because that 40+ pounds is still there and isn't going to go anywhere if I don't do something. I'm not being too drastic and I'm being realistic. I cut out sodas and sweets, but if I want something I'll have it on the weekend. I'm not going to buy "diet" food or "eating better" food, I'm just going to do the same thing I've always done except not eat so much. We got a used treadmill for Christmas and I'm walking/light jogging everyday for 30 min. I CAN do that and need to. A long time ago when I went on a weight loss journey and lost 20 pounds working out good 6 days a week and watching what I ate (had only one child at the time, now I have 3, one being 9 months old), I heard someone say this, "The time is going to go by anyway, why not?" It's true, the time is going to go by anyway and I'll feel so much better about myself if I can look back in 4 weeks or 6 weeks or 6 months or even a year and see what I've done instead of letting it go by yet again failing in my endeavor to be better. HTH and be encouraged, you are not alone. :)

Edited by Dianne-TX

I lost 30 in about a month by going through a period of major stress and have since kept it off by becoming a runner. I also *try* to indulge less than before. I don't recommend the "major stress" diet, though. :glare:

That happened to me when I went through my divorce. I was down to 96 lbs and looked bony. One day a friend came over and said she wouldn't leave until she saw me eat something. My stomach was so shrunken that I felt stuffed from eating 1 saltine cracker and 2 bites of tomato soup. I stayed thin until I started having kids, but I'm with you - I don't recommend divorce or other major stress as a diet strategy. :tongue_smilie:

I lost 100 pounds by eating high fiber, low fat foods. I avoided all sweets, fried food, junk food, soda etc. I didn't really worry about calories unless I felt like my weight loss was slowing down and then I would track it for a few weeks to keep myself on track. I exercised daily.

Unfortunately I stopped doing the above and gained a good portion of it back. I am back at it and hope to be down quite a bit by summer.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Become friends with the Food Pyramid. And I mean the real Food Pyramid, not the newer versions. Learn what portion/serving sizes really are and follow the Food Pyramid.

I'd be careful with this. I agree that we need to go back to smaller serving sizes, but the food pyramid is the exact formula used to fatten cattle for feed.

Again, ty for the new responses & congrats to those who have lost lbs!

Well, I follow the principles of the NoS diet which isn't a diet in the sense of telling you WHAT to eat. It lays out three basic eating principles that help one from overeating:

No Seconds (fit everything on one plate so you can SEE what you are really eating)

Just loved your post! I went to the site and after skimming the main paige think this may be the "diet" for me. Totally do-able and it makes an insane amount of sense! TY so much for the link :)

I do the same as you, sabotage myself...I think it's because I make a big, hairy deal about it instead of just live my regular life in an improved way, kwim? No big changes, no buying different foods and adding 1.5 hour of exercise into my life, etc., etc., because that never works for me...So, today, again, I am on the road to change because that 40+ pounds is still there and isn't going to go anywhere if I don't do something.

G/L to you! We sound very much alike and I am trying to take a similar approach this time around. A few years ago I was 30 lbs. heavier than I am now and I lost that by following my friend's "diet" of never getting full. Somehow 20 lbs. of those 30 lbs. have stayed off. Now that I think about it I was sort of following the No S Diet mentioned above... ;)

...I dropped 2 clothing sizes in 4 months (I do not exercise at this point). I don't weigh myself because I don't want to focus on it...

I don't go out to eat anymore. I try to eat whole foods. I make sure there is protein and fat with all of my meals (keeps me satisfied and doesn't give me any crazy dips in blood sugar levels). I avoid low fat or fat free cheese/dairy. Only the full fat stuff.

Wow! I'd love to loose a clothing size or four ;) I enjoy whole foods so I don't think that will be a problem for me. I am not able to (willing to!) avoid carbs, but I do believe in full-fat and am trying to add protein to every meal, as it keeps me full longer.

Whats your weak point, Laurie? Whats your achilles heel when it comes to food?

I have discovered mine since doing WW, and kind of know the key for me now. I eat really healthy and in summer, mostly raw, but I tend to snack on high fat vegetarian foods like nuts and avocados. When I read the raw food people, many say they could eat as much as they wanted of those foods and still lose weight, but that isnt the case for me at all. I know nuts are something i can only have a small amount of, ocasionally, and while I used to scoff a whole or half an avocado easily, now I am just as happy with 1/4.

I also have to watch the fruit intake. The new WW had me fruit binging.

I think we all have our emotional reaosns for overeating, and then our patterns. I can overeat and put on weight, nowadays, on a diet that would make most people lose weight, apparently.

Whats your weak point, Laurie? Whats your achilles heel when it comes to food?

Honestly, for me, it all boils down to this: I do not now - and never have - felt really good about myself - self esteem, whatever you want to call it. I tend to make my identity based on some sort of outward sign. In my early 20s I was Fit Girl. I worked out 6 days/wk and loved it. I had very low body fat, and people always remarked on how fit I was. I wasn't "skinny". I had muscle! It made me feel good - but never was I vain about it & never once did I think I was "something special", IYKWIM.

In my mid-20s I was the small-town girl that met a handsome Marine, married, and got to live in Hawaii. I was still very fit, but started to gain weight then because (maybe?) my new identity was Hawaii Girl ;) I was "special" because I was living a dream life - at least in my family & friends' opinions!

So then for the next 5 years or so, I became a Mama (first two grandchildren on both sides!) who made up birth plans and had Midwives, breastfed for 3+ years, became a LLL Leader. Something no one else in our families had done. They marveled at how I could "do it all" and at "what a great mother" I was. I felt like a fraud. I gained 50 and 45 lbs. with my pgs., lost enough after #2 to get down to 160 lbs. (from 186 lbs., on WW) and my relationship with DH started to go downhill. All - and I mean all - of my focus was on my DDs. DH felt - and was - neglected. And so was I. I started eating for comfort and blew myself up to 223 lbs. in a matter of months.

The past 5 years or so, I have been Homeschool Mom. Everyone thinks that I am some sort of super-mom, but I am not. Late at night, when my day is finally - finally - over, I sit back with a glass or two (last night was three, but it was soooo good - oh, and the wine is not every night, but the munching is!) of wine and start munching. And munching. And I hate myself each bite that I take. But I still do it and I can't seem to stop. I am now Fat Homeschool Mom - the one who is larger than all of my friends, save one. I want a new identity...

So - that is pretty much where I am coming from. Aren't you glad that you asked ;)

Guest CarolineUK

Laurie, I think I recognise what you're talking about, and I remember a friend explaining to me about my having an external locus of control, that is that I let outside influences, events, etc overly affect me, rather than having an internal locus of control where I could be me the same me no matter what the circumstances. I'm afraid that explanation is rather basic and incomplete, but I thought I'd mention it as it's probably worth investigating, it certainly helped me at the time (but, that was twenty years ago, hence the rather vague explanation!). Probably the best way I can think of to portray it is like being anchored in who you are, knowing your strengths, weaknesses, values, needs, etc, rather than being blown about by the wind. Once you understand yourself really well and what your needs are, then maybe you won't need to stuff all your feelings down with food and drink (I have been there).

Hope that makes sense, I'm sorry you've got to such a frustrating point, and I'm sure you'll work your way out of it, you sound like you're a very competent, determined person when faced with life's challenges. :grouphug:

Edited by CarolineUK

Honestly, my diet (already good to begin with) has IMPROVED by implementing these three healthy habits. I no longer fool myself with the idea that I will have fruit for a snack--it is planned and eaten as part of a meal, often the sweet treat at the end. Neither do I nibble my way into overeating. I can't believe how easy it is *for me* to overeat when I constantly take small portions of everything (because I'm convinced that I didn't eat very much, so I need seconds and even thirds). I strive to cover my plate with 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain, 1/2 veggies and salads when it works out. I enjoy ALL kinds of foods; the one plate rule (no seconds) keeps me from overdoing it. I now hate to feel stuffed. I like to have an appetite for my next meal; I treasure that little edge of hunger right before my next meal.

I could go on and on. Instead, I suggest you visit the NoS website (free): http://www.nosdiet.com and READ why these habits can serve you well whatever you may choose to do. Then spend some time reading the NoS forums--especially the testimonials and general one. You will quickly realize that NoS is NOT about dieting but rather a way to eat sensibly, sanely, enjoyably for life.

One more thing: I've lost 40 pounds with these three simple changes and now have a great relationship with food and eating no matter what life brings: everyday, holidays, vacations. :)

HTH,

Hi Vicki,

Way to go!

I was going to suggest this idea even tho' I haven't tried it yet myself! Your story is even better!

Congrats!

Honestly, for me, it all boils down to this: I do not now - and never have - felt really good about myself - self esteem, whatever you want to call it. I tend to make my identity based on some sort of outward sign. In my early 20s I was Fit Girl. I worked out 6 days/wk and loved it. I had very low body fat, and people always remarked on how fit I was. I wasn't "skinny". I had muscle! It made me feel good - but never was I vain about it & never once did I think I was "something special", IYKWIM.

In my mid-20s I was the small-town girl that met a handsome Marine, married, and got to live in Hawaii. I was still very fit, but started to gain weight then because (maybe?) my new identity was Hawaii Girl ;) I was "special" because I was living a dream life - at least in my family & friends' opinions!

So then for the next 5 years or so, I became a Mama (first two grandchildren on both sides!) who made up birth plans and had Midwives, breastfed for 3+ years, became a LLL Leader. Something no one else in our families had done. They marveled at how I could "do it all" and at "what a great mother" I was. I felt like a fraud. I gained 50 and 45 lbs. with my pgs., lost enough after #2 to get down to 160 lbs. (from 186 lbs., on WW) and my relationship with DH started to go downhill. All - and I mean all - of my focus was on my DDs. DH felt - and was - neglected. And so was I. I started eating for comfort and blew myself up to 223 lbs. in a matter of months.

The past 5 years or so, I have been Homeschool Mom. Everyone thinks that I am some sort of super-mom, but I am not. Late at night, when my day is finally - finally - over, I sit back with a glass or two (last night was three, but it was soooo good - oh, and the wine is not every night, but the munching is!) of wine and start munching. And munching. And I hate myself each bite that I take. But I still do it and I can't seem to stop. I am now Fat Homeschool Mom - the one who is larger than all of my friends, save one. I want a new identity...

So - that is pretty much where I am coming from. Aren't you glad that you asked ;)

Oh, wow. This made me cry. :grouphug: It hits close to home.

I lost a lot of weight by focusing on serving size and proportioning.

For example, for dinner, your plate should be 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch, and 1/2 non-starchy vegetable. Serve a salad and/or fruit on the side.

It is important not to use extra large plates. The 1/4 plate of protein is to equal one daily serving of protein. The same with the starch. Starches included potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and 100% whole grain breads. Fruits and most vegetables were unlimited.

I walked after dinner and went to a spinning class twice a week. Then I got pregnant. I lost more weight than I gained after my first pregnancy. Unfortunately I hung on to it after my second pregnancy. I am now trying to reinstate portion control and increase my exercise.

If you know you are going to munch in the evening, have fresh fruit or cut up vegetables ready in the refrigerator.

Honestly, for me, it all boils down to this: I do not now - and never have - felt really good about myself - self esteem, whatever you want to call it.

The past 5 years or so, I have been Homeschool Mom. Everyone thinks that I am some sort of super-mom, but I am not. . . I am now Fat Homeschool Mom - the one who is larger than all of my friends, save one. I want a new identity...

:grouphug:

I would have been like this if I had had children early.

I derived my identity from my schooling and later from my job. Those are pretty socially acceptable, but they don't satisfy completely. Neither does Supermom.

I read a book when I was in my 30's that really helped. It was by Gloria Steinem, of all people. Titled "Revolution From Within", it's about self-esteem, and from a very knowing and gentle perspective. It's indescribable, but very helpful--I recommend it.

The other thing I recommend is munching on fresh veggies when you munch! They are good, they fill you up, and some of them even have negative calories!

I'm happy for you that you live in Hawaii, but having visited there last year to chaperone a tour that my DD was on, I have to say that it's hard to imagine dieting there. All that pork! And milk at $5 per gallon!

ETA: I can't really leave this without saying that a lot of my improvement in this area is due to my Christian faith. It was pretty late that I realized that I had self-esteem issues, and once I did, the specifics in the Steinem book were really, really good. But in addition, starting to think about seeing myself and others as God sees them, and getting to know His love, and learning to have faith and trust in Him instead of just beliefs--those were key growth areas that really helped with this. I am in my early 50's, and I am far from perfect, but I can honestly say that I don't derive my identify from externals anymore at all. It's a huge shift for me, and it took a long time. I don't mean to push you spiritually--I don't know what your faith is. But I would be being far less than candid if I didn't acknowledge my own experience of what God has done for me in this area of my life.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

:grouphug:

I've lost 15 lbs (and maintained it) by exercising 3-4 times a week both cardio and weight training, by eating small portions, and by cutting out: white flour, white sugar, hydrogenated oils, and most corn syrup. If you try to eat only out of the produce and meat sections and only eat whole grains (basically eat real food...) you'll find it is easier than any planned diet program.