Menu

Those doing the 2011 book challenge

I just ordered Byzantine from the library yesterday! I'm glad it got great reviews.

I started my first book yesterday, Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. He is a new author to me, so we'll see how I like it. I will also be starting Mansfield Park tomorrow because I need to finish it by Friday for our Jane Austen literature study. Younger dd and I are midway through The Voyage of the Dawn Treader so we will probably finish it next week too. I guess I will be off to a running start ;)

Orson Scott Card is one of my all time favorite authors. I loved Enchantment and i am loving his new book Pathfinder this week. I spent an entire summer reading his Ender series and his Biblical novels. I loved them, and I usually can't stand Biblical novels....

Enjoy!

Faithe

ETA: since I already made my quota last year, I am using Pathfinder as my first book instead of my last book...LOL. I am also reading Carry On Mr. Bowditch to my boys, but since I am enjoying it way more than they are, I am counting that one as well....

Edited by Mommyfaithe

I have a huge stack of books that has been gathering for quite some time - and that I decided a few months back to tackle. Soooooo, today, having finished my 69th book for 2010, as we headed out the door to do a quick errand, I grabbed a book from said stack "just in case" I got a moment to read. I didn't - but the book I randomly grabbed was In Every Pew Sits a Broken Heart by Ruth Graham, so I will start 2011's book challenge with this.

I haven't yet decided whether I will do the dozen classics this year. I am still pondering whether to do a variation of Rosie's Dewey Decimal plan - decisions - decisions!!!

I enjoy this challenge-thread so much! Just reading the responses on this thread now, has added a couple more books to my "wanna read someday" list!

I have decided to go about this a little differently than I originally intended. Since I already established that children's books (of substance) CAN count, I've decided to do this challenge WITH my 10 y/o daughter.

There are so many books I want to read with her- books that I have vague childhood memories of and want to enjoy again- books that are on every "must read" list for kids but that *I* somehow never got around to reading myself- books that are more modern but that just look good- books I have on an ever-growing list of "I'd like to read these with Alexa one day"...

...so here's my "excuse" to just do it.

I told her about it, and she's super excited. She and I are going to choose books together that we are going to read aloud to each other, and we're going to aim to do the book a week together in this manner.

Not sure yet what our first one will be, we will select it today. :)

What a beautiful idea!

Thanks :) Alexa and I looked over our bookshelves and picked a few that sounded interesting that neither of us have read yet and we decided we'd start with "The Phantom Tollbooth."

I told her we'd have to spend extra time reading together because it was going to be a bit hard to read a book every single week out loud on top of our other schoolwork and reading and all, and she said that was fine... she's excited about it.

(Although she did then clarify: "Wait, I'll still have time to play, right?") :lol:

I decided on Decision Points by GW Bush. I will be reading today between housework and errands!

Other books on my list for this year:

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Hunger Games trilogy

A Patriot's History of the United States

Chelsea, Chelsea Bang Band (Chelsea Handler)

The Confession

American Assasain

So Long Insecurity, You've Been a Bad Friend to Us

Perfect Victim: The True Story of the Girl in the Box

In the Still of the Night

The Road to Serfdom

Edited by TXMary2

I just finished Doetsch Thieves of Heaven. Very well done. 13th Hour looks great. Just download it to my nook. After tonight I'm on a book buying ban until I whittle down my tbr pile both real and e-book.

I finished 'The 13th Hour' last night (so I won't be able to use it for my 2011 list, darn!) It was a very good book. It is a crime thriller with a twist--time travel. It, too, was very well done. But it did get a bit bogged down towards the end. I am looking forward to reading his other books.

I'd like to join in this year. I'm supposed to read The Brothers Karamazov with a friend, but that will take me more than a week. Maybe I'll try to schedule that one out over a month and always be reading a quicker book along side it. I think I'll start with either Words and Rules or The Language Instinct. Those are both books I've read parts of, but I've not read cover to cover.

Orson Scott Card is one of my all time favorite authors. I loved Enchantment and i am loving his new book Pathfinder this week. I spent an entire summer reading his Ender series and his Biblical novels. I loved them, and I usually can't stand Biblical novels....

Enjoy!

Faithe

This is good to hear! I don't know anything about him as an author. I saw his name pop up on a thread about fantasy authors and thought I'd give it a try. Is Ender's Game more sci-fi or more fantasy? And what Biblical novels?

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory.

I plan to read the rest of the series chronologically so those Will be my first few book.

I must admit though, i skipped The Wise Woman. I just couldnt get into it.

I read The Other Boleyn Girl last year and loved it! Is the Boleyn Inheritance before or after it?

i have several lists/categories i'll be working through simultaneously.

One is self education(from lcc2), the next is is rereads of favorites(HP,LOTR), the third is school/curriculum books I need to read(liping ma, miquon, suzuki) the fourth is books I have that I've been meaning to read but haven't gotten to(a variety of genres) and the last is RAs with the boys(winnie the pooh, beatrix potter).

I hope it will all add up in the end, but I'll be better for it either way.

I like a pp's mention of audio books, I'll have to try and incorporate some.

Happy new year!

I'm starting with a random biography I picked from the library last week...Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Man of Style. I also picked a Phillippa Gregory book about Mary Queen of Scots as well as a couple of very random others.

My library trip was very random this time, our library puts all nonfiction together and I wander the shelves looking for something to catch my interest.

I just finished my first book of the year (although I'm not counting it for 52/52), The Rough Guide to Classic Novels, which I started around 11:00 last night and finished today. It includes quick synopses and reviews of 230+ novels, and for each one there's also a recommended translation or edition, suggestions for what to read next if you enjoyed that book, and the recommended film version (if available). It's especially strong on foreign language literature, and lists many wonderful-sounding books I'd never heard of that are classics in other countries/languages. I've added lots of books to my reading list as a result. I've also just started The Well-Educated Mind, because I want to do the WEM Mini-challenge.

As for fiction, I decided to organize my reading list for next year around a number of different themes (18th Century Gothic Novels, Classic Irish Literature, Books about Books, etc.), and I wanted to start with something light, so my first theme is:

British Social Satire

Oliver Goldsmith, She Stoops to Conquer (1773)

R.B. Sheridan, The School for Scandal (1777)

HG Wells, The Research Magnificent (1915)

EF Benson, Queen Lucia (1920)

William Gerhardie, The Polyglots (1925)

Evelyn Waugh, Decline and Fall (1928)

Stella Gibbons, Cold Comfort Farm (1932)

PG Wodehouse, Right Ho, Jeeves (1934)

I'm not sure which book I'll start with. I have several of them on my Kindle, and I'll have to order the others from Amazon or the library.

Jackie

British Social Satire

Oliver Goldsmith, She Stoops to Conquer (1773)

R.B. Sheridan, The School for Scandal (1777)

HG Wells, The Research Magnificent (1915)

EF Benson, Queen Lucia (1920)

William Gerhardie, The Polyglots (1925)

Evelyn Waugh, Decline and Fall (1928)

Stella Gibbons, Cold Comfort Farm (1932)

PG Wodehouse, Right Ho, Jeeves (1934)

Jackie

Ohh, that looks fun! I love Wodehouse.

I am reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte... it's taking me a bit longer because of all the French passages, but I am determined to finish it this week. Then I will be on to The Poisonwood Bible, since that is the book club selection for this month. That one is a re-read, but it's been a lot of years since I read it and it's one of the best books I've ever read.

Getting lots of great ideas from this thread!! :)

My first book is our family read aloud - The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. It's simple, but the message is getting through the hormones of 14yo dd, who either sits plastered to my side with her head leaning on my shoulder or in the middle of the sectional sofa so that no one is touching her. I will be moving on to Ivanhoe.

Edited by 1Togo