Menu

2011 Knitting challenge!

:lol:

Ok, all crafts count.

Books go in their own thread.

Housework is not a craft as far as I'm concerned, so anyone wanting housework challenges needs their own thread.

Is everyone included now?

Rosie

What about painting? I mean because paint comes from plants, right so it's all the same genre? :tongue_smilie:

In other news, I have a whole field of plantus acrylicus that I should be able to harvest around July. A whole new batch of yarn! :lol:

What about painting? I mean because paint comes from plants, right so it's all the same genre? :tongue_smilie:

Well, that's a bit of a stretch, but what the hey! :D If people want to post pics of their ARTS and CRAFTS, I'm happy to look. I don't want to see pictures of clean kitchens or reduced waist lines. (Yay for people losing weight if they want to and to people keeping their kitchens clean, but this thread has to have some limitations :lol:)

In other news, I have a whole field of plantus acrylicus that I should be able to harvest around July. A whole new batch of yarn! :lol:

*snort*

Are we good with ART and CRAFT to define ourselves? Or do we have some resident electricians and plumbers doing cute projects who want to be part of this?

Rosie

Learned to knit last year! :) YouTube really, really helped!

FWIW, and maybe that isn't much, I found it easier to start with the Dave Ramsay knitting plan. :P It's where you do quick little projects so that the gratification pushes you forward to bigger & better, kwim? :D

Oh but I did knit ONE sock! :)

My goal for 2011 is socks. More than one, ideally, since I have two feet and all.

The knit picks group at Ravelry is doing a toe-up sock KAL. I've decided to give it a go as inspiration to get my second sock finished that I started last spring. http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/knitpicks-lovers/1442289/1-25

That was pretty much my idea, yeah. :)

I'm all for this! I have several books of stitches that have just been sitting around. Maybe I'll do dish cloths. There was an article about a knitting group that had new knitters knit up 20 or so dish cloth to learn patterns. I have a bunch of cotton, so this would dig into my stash as well.

Is there a group for this or are we just keeping it in the thread?

I said earlier I think it would be nice to keep to the general board. That way the lurkers can be inspired by our collective brilliance. :D I don't know about you, but I'll take praise and encouragement from anywhere. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Oh this is perfect! I dug out my knitting needles a few days ago...and am trying to make a square. I've got some knitted rows, some purled rows, and some rows with a combination because I keep getting interrupted and I don't really remember how to knit!

The reason I got out my needles is I had the most brilliant idea! I will buy some Angora rabbits and learn to spin their fur and create beautiful things! First I've got to work on the beautiful things part, while I investigate the care & keeping of wool producing rabbits. :) Do you think this would be a good go along for our (future) involvement in the SCA??

Oooh, I want to watch! I get so inspired watching this sort of thread!

And I want to join. :) I can crochet normal stuff fairly well, but I want to start making next year's Christmas presents now (instead of starting in Nov.) and there are some new techniques I've just started on that I want to practice (broomstick lace, cables) and one I want to learn (using laceweight yarn to make, well, lacy things).

The reason I got out my needles is I had the most brilliant idea! I will buy some Angora rabbits and learn to spin their fur and create beautiful things! First I've got to work on the beautiful things part, while I investigate the care & keeping of wool producing rabbits. :) Do you think this would be a good go along for our (future) involvement in the SCA??

Not wanting to burst your bubble, but, uh, maybe :o

The spinning? Yes! The keeping of rabbits? Yes! The knitting? Well, I don't think straight needle knitting was invented until after our period. This book was recommended to me, but I haven't finished reading it all yet: http://www.amazon.com/History-Hand-Knitting-Richard-Rutt/dp/1931499373/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1293775012&sr=8-4 (Note to self: 2011 Reading Challenge) You could always learn naalbinding. I'd like to do that, but I'm already trying to learn too many other things so that hasn't got to the top of the list yet :) I do know a knitting laurel, so if you really want to get into SCA period knitting, she is a good person to ask. She's pretty busy and doesn't get online too often, I don't think, but she is an absolute sweetie so she would be happy to provide info as long as you keep asking. Here's one of her articles: http://sca.org.au/fibre/projects/scoggers-hoggers.php'>http://sca.org.au/fibre/projects/scoggers-hoggers.php'>http://sca.org.au/fibre/projects/scoggers-hoggers.php'>http://sca.org.au/fibre/projects/scoggers-hoggers.php and while I don't have her email address, emailing the guildmistress would get your request sent on. Her email is listed here: http://sca.org.au/fibre/ There could be knitting laurels in other kingdoms, but unsurprisingly, (coz I've lived in the SCAdian equivalent of nowhere for most of our playing time) I haven't heard of them :)

Rosie

I've always wanted to learn how to knit/crochet/sew.

Never have time though. Maybe one of these... years.... :tongue_smilie:

(and curious... at what age have you talented women passed this skill on to your children? Maybe DD and I can learn together in a couple years... except she'll probably just put me to shame and excel while I get caught in knots of yarn.. :D)

I haven't read all of the replies - I will later today, though! I knit & crochet, but would like to join the challenge as a crocheter, as I have an afghan that I started two years ago for DH that I have never finished :tongue_smilie: I was using the book 200 Crochet Blocks and will continue with that!

Not sure if anyone is posting their Ravelry names, but if so, I am chie96 over there!

Happy New Year!!!

....and there are some new techniques I've just started on that I want to practice (broomstick lace, cables)

is this for crocheting? i love the broomstick stitch. it is so lovely with scarves. there is an amazing tutorial on youtube. it simplifies it so much & is super easy to make!

(i just use the end of my mop...it screws off:)).

Well, I don't know how to knit but I'd like to learn. I thought I'd join you to learn and for a fun challenge but then I saw THIS

Egads . . . I don't think so!

Oooh, I'd like to get in on this! I can do VERY BASIC knitting and crochet - only squares and rectangles because I can NOT read (with understanding) a pattern! I'd love the challenge to learn more.

Can't wait to find out what those mysterious "circular needles" are all about!:D

Awww come on, patterns aren't that hard! Don't let it keep you from crocheting! All you have to remember is the stitches. I can help anyone through a crochet pattern if they need it :) I have to be able to read patterns if not then I would never crochet. I am no good making things up!

is this for crocheting? i love the broomstick stitch. it is so lovely with scarves. there is an amazing tutorial on youtube. it simplifies it so much & is super easy to make!
(i just use the end of my mop...it screws off:)).

Yes, it is for crocheting - how cool to have a screw-off mopstick! that's perfect! I'm planning on using a large-ish piece of dowel. I tried using circular knitting needles, but it made my tension too tight and I didn't like how it looked.

I was going to skip as I'm not to good at knitting and (sorry) I don't really enjoy crocheting. But I found some patterns here that look cute, but simple (and free!). http://www.halfknits.com/knitting-6-inch-block-patterns/

Since I can both knit, purl, and count, I think I'll try a little throw or something with 6in squares. So I'm in.

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

How's this going for everyone?

I've finished 4 (out of the 10 I'd like to get done this month).

Thanks for that 200 Knitted Blocks recommendation. I've done 3 from that (the Offset [but I only used one color], and then 37 and 137. I now have cabling without a cable needle mastered. I want to do the cabled arches one next.

Would it be easier to post on Ravelry about this?

Of course, if no one wants to actually do this as a KAL kind of thing, that's okay, too. I was just excited that other people were doing something I'd already planned to do :)

I'm part of a Harry Potter group there and for my "OWL" I need to use up 1800 yards of yarn by the end of March. If I hadn't set such a goal for myself I wouldn't be as busy with those. Instead I'd be finishing up socks that are laying around sad and abandoned. :)

I was going to skip as I'm not to good at knitting and (sorry) I don't really enjoy crocheting. But I found some patterns here that look cute, but simple (and free!). http://www.halfknits.com/knitting-6-inch-block-patterns/

Since I can both knit, purl, and count, I think I'll try a little throw or something with 6in squares. So I'm in.

Amy

That is a great link! Just what I was looking for. Of course, size 7 needles is just what I don't have, but I will head out and get a pair. Thank you for sharing!

After my big freak out about using circular needles, and getting over that and then looking forward to using them, my dd16 told me that this flutter sleeve cardigan was the pattern that would look best on me- and it doesn't even use circular needles.

I am finding it quite fast to knit which is very rewarding. A few more movies and I will be well on my way if not finished. Then, my next project WILL be a circular needle one.

I had decided to try to knit one dish cloth a week for the year. I love using them and giving them as gifts and, since they are "squares," I could even make a bunch to knit together as a blanket.

Anyway, here are my first two. They take me about 4 hours a piece.

Thanks for the challenge! This will help keep me accountable. :)

dish%20cloths%202011.png

I'm a crocheter. I am currently working on two different afgans, one for my dd and one for my brother. I will try to post pictures later but that might prove to be difficult as my dd in GA has borrowed the camera.

Don't worry about it. I'll post the January Update thread on the 31st.

Rosie