Menu

If you have no land line and just use your cell phone...

How do you keep your cell phone with you at all times? Do you have a clip or something? Or do you just get used to remembering it? We're taking the plunge in January (getting rid of cable TV and land line), but I'm so used to leaving my phone in my car all the time, I'm afraid I'll never remember to bring it with me when I need it.

TIA!

Mine lives in my jeans pockets (or in my sweatjacket pocket) or some such. I pretty much always have something with pockets. When I'm just hanging out at home, I might leave it on my computer desk charging, but whenever I go out I put it in my pocket.

ETA: This is because i rarely carry a purse with me anywhere, and the times I do, I don't want to have to go digging through it to grab my phone. And I grab my phone all the time. To see what time it is (I don't wear a watch), to answer or make a phone call, to play a game, to look something up on the internet if I'm out and about, etc. Pocket's easiest for me. :D Plus I'm sure to hear it/feel it vibrate if I'm wearing the thing.

Edited by NanceXToo

I got used to keeping it with me. When I first got my cell phone I thought I'd need a clip, but it was really annoying. I keep my phone on the kitchen island when I'm in that part of the house (4 rooms, including the kitchen). If I go to another part of the house I usually take the phone with me. The ring isn't set loud enough for me to hear it as well as I'd hear a landline. But if I forget to take it with me, that's what voicemail is for. :)

When I go out somewhere, I put the phone in my purse. It really annoys me when I forget it. Of course, I went years without a cell phone, and that's the way life was.

I don't keep it with me at all times. It sits on a shelf in the kitchen unless it is in my handbag. I don't always take it with me. I don't really care to talk to anyone if I'm out doing the grocery shopping. I'll be more diligent when the kids are older, I'm sure.

Dh has a pouch he clips onto his trousers. Perhaps you can get one and clip it on the inside of your handbag? It saves rummaging around trying to find the wretched thing and having it go to message bank just as you pick it up!

Rosie

I don't always take it with me. I don't really care to talk to anyone if I'm out doing the grocery shopping. I'll be more diligent when the kids are older, I'm sure.

You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just glad to have it with me in case I need to make a call...if the car dies, if I want to ask dh something while I'm at the store (so handy), if anything comes up. I take it with me more for my convenience than for anyone else's.

Mine lives in my jeans pockets (or in my sweatjacket pocket) or some such. I pretty much always have something with pockets. When I'm just hanging out at home, I might leave it on my computer desk charging, but whenever I go out I put it in my pocket.

ETA: This is because i rarely carry a purse with me anywhere, and the times I do, I don't want to have to go digging through it to grab my phone. And I grab my phone all the time. To see what time it is (I don't wear a watch), to answer or make a phone call, to play a game, to look something up on the internet if I'm out and about, etc. Pocket's easiest for me. :D Plus I'm sure to hear it/feel it vibrate if I'm wearing the thing.

:iagree:Eventually it will just become a part of you that you can't easily forget. Like shoes. I have my shoes on all the time and know where they are at all times and don't leave the house without them. My phone and my sunglasses are the same way. I might be naked, but I will have on shoes, wearing shades, and carrying my phone!:lol:

I keep mine charging as often as possible so that I won't lose it! When we had a land line I could just call my cell phone and listen for the ring... Now, I really have to keep it charging (so its plugged in and not misplaced). I guess I kind of just had to get used to it. Its been a great way to help trim our budget w/o really making much of a sacrifice.

Yes you will definitely get used to it...especially after running out to the car to get it a few times. I've pretty much only ever had a cell phone. Cell phones were already popular by the time I became an adult. I did have a landline once for a couple of months because I tried DSL internet and I kept forgetting I had another phone I could use.

Yeah, kinda figured that was the case. Now I have to figure out how to make it really loud so I can hear it! (And how to download fun ringtones :D I cracked up when Nakia posted that her ring tone for her DH was You Rocked Me All Night Long :lol:

Thanks everyone!

When it's in the house, it's on my desk. Away from home, it's in my purse. I have the ringer volume set high and a unique ring that I will hear and not ignore.

This is me exactly. My ringtone is Ghostbusters and my house is small so I can hear it ringing from anywhere in the house. If I'm in the basement of something the kids will holler at me that my phone is ringing. Sometimes they'll even look and tell me who's calling. Usually it's my grandmother or sister. :) No one else ever calls me.

:lol::lol::lol: I love it!!! I can't think of anything funny!

My husband has one that's this elderly woman's voice going something like: "Pick up! It's your mother! It's Mommy. Where are you? Pick up the phone. It's mommy calling. You can't hide from me! Pick up the phone!" and so on. It's pretty funny! He set that one for his mother, of course. :D

A friend of mine keeps her iPhone under a strap of her bra.

I think it's quite a conversation starter.:tongue_smilie:

:lol: My mom used to do that when she was working in the yard at work, until one day she forgot about it and sweated so much she shorted it out :blink: Needless to say, she doesn't do it anymore!

:iagree: It's almost always in my pocket.

During the day, on my desk. I can even charge at my PC if needed. If I go out I put it on the console in between my two front seats. I can charge it there if I need to, too. Then when I get out, IF I have pockets (which is somewhat rare) then it goes in there, if not in my purse in a little pocket in there. Whichever, I turn up the ring volume because I won't hear it otherwise. We have been LAN line free since Feb of 2009, and I LOVE it. If you have an older child, we just got a 3rd phone as our "house" phone, if one of them leaves it gets to go with them, which is a nice advantage. They don't get their own phone till they can work and pay the bill ;)

Oh and at night it goes on the window sill where it charges :)

There are SO MANY fun ringtones. I got the "far ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra" from Christmas Story (remember in the Chinese restaurant) as the ringtone when dh calls because that's his favorite Christmas movie. When it's not the holidays he has the Geico "Ringa ding ding" song. For my MIL I have the whistle theme from The Andy Griffith show. Just cuz it's old fashioned and country and reminds me of her. I have Tony Bennet for my mom.

I got some from phonezoo. If you do a thread search there was a good long thread about ringtones and where to get them and some good ideas. Songs or sounds you associate with people. But I only have custom tones for a few people, otherwise my ear wouldn't be trained to listen.

It stays in my pocket. Or sits on the desk next to me. Or gets thrown in my purse. I admit that it sometimes ends up on the other side of the house for a few hours and I pick it up to find two missed calls and five texts waiting for me (people need to leave me alone!) :) One of my brothers claims that I pick up the phone on the first ring, or not at all. You get used to having it in your hand. I fiddle with mine, mostly spinning it around on it's back, or sliding it open and closed. I know this can drive people nuts sometimes. :p

Edited by Mimm
spelling

I keep it in my pocket. I try really hard to remember to take it out when I take a shower. I have a post-it on the washing machine to remind me to make sure my cell phone is in the pocket of what I am CURRENTLY wearing rather than what I put in the washing machine. My cell phone survived its trip through the washing machine, but it randomly loses connection to its battery so I have to remove the battery and put it back in again to get it turn on.

When at home it is usually sitting on a counter, computer desk, or kitchen table. I was worried when we ditched land line that I would forget it when I left the house and at first I did forget it a few times but over time it just became natural to do the checklist....

Of course there are times I don't like being reachable 24/7 so I conveniently "forget" my phone at home when I go some places....much to the consternation of my husband who is a phone tech junky and thinks it should be molded to your hand permanently. HA!

But I don't regret getting rid of land line. There is peace that I don't get a lot of harrassing phone calls from telemarketers....it is actually more peaceful.

I just keep my phone in my pocket or purse if I'm out and about. As it is, I sometimes miss calls either way (it's hard to feel a vibrating phone if you're walking, and it's hard to hear a ringing phone in a busy area). At home, it lives on the end table and I can hear it from anywhere in our apartment.

My phone is the one thing I take with me, even if dh is driving and has his wallet. For one thing, it's so much easier to find him in a store (or vice versa) with it. For another, if anything bad happened, two phones are better than one...

During the day, on my desk. I can even charge at my PC if needed.

You know, this is a great idea for me. I can do the same thing, and my Mac laptop lives at one end of our kitchen island, where it's usually plugged in. I can make a home for the phone connected to my laptop there. Thanks for that!

There are SO MANY fun ringtones. I got the "far ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra" from Christmas Story (remember in the Chinese restaurant) as the ringtone when dh calls because that's his favorite Christmas movie. When it's not the holidays he has the Geico "Ringa ding ding" song. For my MIL I have the whistle theme from The Andy Griffith show. Just cuz it's old fashioned and country and reminds me of her. I have Tony Bennet for my mom.

I got some from phonezoo. If you do a thread search there was a good long thread about ringtones and where to get them and some good ideas. Songs or sounds you associate with people. But I only have custom tones for a few people, otherwise my ear wouldn't be trained to listen.

Thanks for the extra resource. I never thought to search the board for threads! I spent some time on Crackberry over the last few days, but I can't seem to get anything to download from there, so I'll have to keep looking. Phonezoo had come up in my search but I didn't know whether it was reliable. I appreciate the recommendation.